Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It occurred to me that I've never actually seen how this game goes. For some reason I never got around to playing it, I wasn't around for the first LP, and the other one going on right now is a mechanics-only run that mostly glosses over the story. I guess I could go read the archived thread - but where's the fun in that? Clearly the best way to experience the full thing is to do a :siren: blind LP :siren: disclaimer: LP may not be entirely blind of the game and show the world what's up!

(If anything I've heard about this game is true, that's probably not going to be Roy's stats.)

Since I don't know the game too well, this is going to be a mostly informal, relaxed run, not a super informative sperg-about-all-the-stats completionist one.

To differentiate myself from the previous thread, I'll be using the re-translation patch that was released a couple of years back. I'll also be doing a slight bit of romhacking on the side just to spice things up.

Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Dawn of Destiny or, The Obligatory Bandit Chapter
Chapter 2: The Princess of Bern or, A Ruud Awakening
Chapter 3: Latecomer's Sorrow or, Bullshit Of The Highest Degree
Chapter 4: Crumbling League or, A Trustworthy Face
Chapter 5: Fire Emblem or, Crushing Disappointment
Chapter 6: Ensnared or, Ride of the Woltkyries
Chapter 7: The Ostian Revolt or, Levels Full Of Dreck
Chapter 8: Reunion or, gently caress Thrones Forever
Chapter 8x: The Blazing Blade or, The Thong of Roland
Chapter 9: The Misty Isles or, Great Scott!
Chapter 10: Amidst a Struggle or, Ah, Gonzales!
Chapter X-2 or, Screw You Guys
Chapter 11: Flight Toward Freedom or, Hunka Hunka Borin' Love
Chapter 12: The True Enemy or, More Like Mana-kill-me
Chapter 12x: The Thunder Axe or, gently caress of War
Chapter 13: Rescue Mission or, Wolt of the North Star
Chapter 14: Arcadia or, The Comic Sans of Map Design
Chapter 14x: The Infernal Truth or, The Infernal Level Design
Chapter 15: The Dragon Child or, That's 15 More Than The Fucks I Give
Chapter XV-2 or, Still Not Worth It
Chapter 16: Storming the Capital or, Not Narcian's Day
Chapter 16x: The Glorious Ascension or, :lol: Aureola
Chapter 17: Ocean's Parting or, Revenge of the Nerds Fliers
Chapter 18: The Frozen River or, The Filler Chapter
Chapter 19: Bitter Cold or, Already Dead
Chapter 20: Ilia's Salvation or, A Castle Staffed By Assholes
Chapter 20x: The Blizzard Spear or, Fall of the Wall
Chapter 21: The Binding Blade or, Literally All The Wyverns
Chapter 21x: The Elder Revelation or, Later, Shitlord
Chapter 22: An Undying Dream (I) or, Roy Against The World
Chapter 22: An Undying Dream (II) or, Zephiel's World
Chapter 22 redux or, 97% Less Fabulous
Chapter 23: The Ghost of Bern or, What The gently caress, Karel
Chapter 24: Legends and Lies or, The Legendary Super Jeigan
Final Chapter: Beyond the Darkness or, Thanks For All The Fish

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The Assorted Goodies post

Fun stuff made by the thread. I'll note which chapter it was posted after so you can stop reading before you get into spoiler territory if you care about that kind of thing.

Chapter 1

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You people are already running me dry!

This is about all I've got left in me...!

Chapter 2

Rude has the lowest-level, least competent troops in all of Bern. I'm wondering why they left the princess under his care in the first place.

Chapter 4

LordHippoman posted:

I don't know if this counts as fanart since I've had it since last year, but I logged onto Guild Wars 2 and forgot what I named my pet shark.

nothing can escape his maw

Chapter 7

Tyty posted:

I dare say this "Roy" fellow doesn't seem to be quite... How should I put it?... Fit to be the son of a marquess, if you will. He's run himself positively ragged!

Chapter 8

You're already doing sillier poo poo than I could think of.

Have to up the ante, I guess.

Chapter 9

(I just picked names out of the wikipedia synopsis I don't actually know much about Game of Thrones.)

(This LP started on May 29th so four episodes have aired since Roy started his stabbing career.)

Chapter 10

Unfortunately all FE6 threads get is me.

I should explain: Clarine has eyestalks because I did it once and I have a canon goddammit.

yokaiy posted:

vilkacis posted:

Sigh... Youthful energy. Where does it come from?

Probably the asskicking pants. In one of the pockets, with the resolve.

And let me start by saying that this mental image would not leave my head.

Chapter 14

Chapter 15

dancingbears posted:

with apologies to OFS

Well Vilkacis if you aren't recruiting Percy you'll just have to deal with alarmingly elaborate references to anti-German WW1 propoganda.

In which I cast you as the German, obviously.

Chapter 16x

yokaiy posted:

Adorable murder!

Final Chapter

bluerocker posted:

Aw, it's all over. Oh well, thanks for the fun LP vilkacis, and have a doodle of Fae and Idun holding hands.

I don't my scanner readily available at the moment, so sorry if the image quality is a little bad from my phone taking the picture.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 14, 2015

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chapter 1: Dawn of Destiny or, The Obligatory Bandit Chapter

Welcome to Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, also known as Sword of Seals. It is the sixth game in the series, and the first on the GBA.

It gets a bit of a bad rep compared to 7 and 8.

We'll see if I end up agreeing or not,

to pierce the darkness...

...but for now, I'm going with vague optimism.

(If nothing else, the GBA games have really neat sprite animations!)

So fabled, you'd be hard pressed to find more than like, three people who can agree on what the drat thing looks like.

It's probably going to be used to help us off this thing, though. Just a hunch.

Anyway, we don't need to worry about that quite yet. We're going to dive straight into the first chapter, Dawn of Destiny, which contains absolutely no dragons whatsoever. But as is customary...

...we have to get through the opening text crawl before we get to actually play it.

Losses were tremendous for both sides, and in this war the very laws of nature itself were twisted and distorted, bringing chaos and unease...
Defeated and humbled, the dragons disappeared from the realm. Mankind then began to rebuild and repopulate their newly won land.

Humanity. We're kind of dicks.

culture and civilization to the farthest reaches of the continent.

possess the most refined culture in all of Elibe.

is located on the other side of the continent in the east.

situated between them. These smaller lands are...

by a number of marquesses that are bund by a vow of allegiance;

become mercenaries to earn money to survive;

Although there were occasional clashes between these nations, the majority of the people of Elibe lived in peace. That peace, however, was not to last...

What were they doing with all those Ilian mercenaries if the people lived in peace, anyway? :iiam:

Gee, thanks. Should have let you get stabbed.

Now, Bern is mounting a merciless invasion into Lycia.

Pherae's Lord Roy was in Ostia, Lycia's largest territory, when the invasion began.

has sent for Roy to return to lead Pherae's soldiers in defending against Bern.

At the same time Eliwood sent for Roy,

who is Marquess Ostia's long-time friend and confidant.

It's taking quite a while to begin, if you ask me, but...

We're treated to a nice view of castle Pherae and the... lovely bunch of bandits surrounding it.

They've all hidden themselves inside the castle!

I don't believe you. Eliwood would beat up that disease for EXP.

That, or Hector would do it for him.

Hee hee hee... You were right when you said there wouldn't be many soldiers. They're all getting ready to defend against Bern!

Of course I was right. I'm always right, you fool. But reinforcements could be here any minute.
All right, you curs, listen up! Kill everyone in the castle while we still got time! Then we can walz outta here with all the loot!

Lovely fellow. Nice face you've got there, it would be a terrible shame if something were to... happen to it.

This guy has something else in mind.

Let's go ransack the villages and take everything they got!

And so he does.

This has been your BRIGANDS WILL DESTROY VILLAGES IF YOU DON'T KILL THEM IN TIME, DUMBASS tutorial for the day, hope you enjoyed.

But rather than watch the slaughter in detail, we're going to check in on these fine gentlemen in the castle, and you may be surprised to find the one with blue hair isn't the returning protagonist from the next... game... Look, prequels make poo poo complicated, ok?

We're under attack by bandits from Mount Bolm!

I understand. Thank you, Merlinus... Blast it! Were I not in this pitiful state, I would take care of them all myself...!

Eliwood should be like, a level 15ish promoted unit at this point, so it's not idle boasting. Sadly, we'll get very little in the ways of save-the-world-level FE7 characters returning and making Roy feel even more obsolete than he already is.

(Spoilers.)

Lilina, presumably, takes after her mother in everything but hair colour.

Lilina, you must hide yourself. This castle is going to become a war zone.

Someone was remarking that castles in Fire Emblem don't seem to be used the way castles were in our world. Typically, one would, like, close the door or something. Here, they just let the enemies in so you can fight them in the corridors.

(Beats having all outdoor maps all the time.)

This time though, they actually do close the doors. So I guess that was pretty pointless commentary at this stage.

No, my lord. I can fight, too!

I dunno, I've seen your starting stats and...

Don't be absurd.

Eliwood. Warrior. Poet. Diplomat.

I couldn't face Hector if something happened to you in my own castle.

To be fair, I would also go to great lengths in order to not piss Hector off.

My father? But...

"You mean my dad?"

It's going to be all right. Roy should be here any moment, so we just need to hold our own until then. He'll drive off these dastards.

Ah, it feels like coming home.

Send a messenger to Roy to let him know the current situation! We need his help!

"Well, the support of the guys he's got with him."

"...Don't tell him I said that, though."

Y-yes, milord!

Meanwhile, some of the bandits are heading for the other village...

and one of them gets run over by a very rude man on a horse as Roy (red hair) and his much more awesome companions approach.

Why are you in such a hurry?

Lord Roy! Bandits have appeared and are attacking the castle as we speak!

He's inside, defending against the bandits' attack. But I don't know how long he can last with his illness...!

You must be a knight of Ostia. Lady Lilina is in the castle. She should be all right. She's with Lord Eliwood after all, but he can't last forever.

No... I shouldn't have let Lilina go to the castle before me.

Yes, you're right. This is no time to despair.
Very well. To arms then! Our target is the castle! We must rescue everyone!

I'mmma rescue them so hard.

Wolt will help.

113 screencaps into this update, finally, gameplay!

...after a few words from our sponsors. Before we get started driving off the dastards, let's take a look at our crew.

The next heir to Pherae. The protagonist of this story.

Roy is Roy, and according to some sources he may or may not also be "our boy" which sounds vaguely racist I don't know look a distraction. He has a reputation for being "kinda meh". Maybe I'll get lucky and cap all his stats!

Speaking of which, his growths are HP 80, Str 40, Skl 50, Spd 40, Lck 60, Def 25, Res 30. (Every number being the percentage chance that the particular stat will go up any time a level is gained.) Just looking at this, Roy is a pretty good all-rounder with impressive Res for a fighter-type, but that defence is a little worrying.

An archer serving Pherae. Was raised like a brother to Roy.

This is Wolt. Wolt is an archer. You know how this goes. Except wait. You may not have noticed, but Wolt is special. He is not your average Wolt. Some people in the Fire Emblem talky thread have been going on about how archers don't need better range or extra mechanics to not suck, they just need good stats! In order to test this out, Wolt has been visited by the Spirit of Axe-Lords Past (or possibly future), and you'll notice he has the same level 1 stats as Hector, you know, the universally loved super awesome dude from the next/previous game in the series.

His growth rates are HP 80 90, Str 40 60, Skl 50, Spd 40, Lck 40, Def 20 50, Res 10 25. Essentially, he has whichever is better between himself and Hector... while being an archer. Maybe it'll even out. Maybe not.

A knight serving Pherae. Passionate and hot-headed.

The Christmas Cavaliers are a series staple.

A knight serving Pherae. Calm and cool-headed.

One red, one green, one more speedy, one more punchy.

Allen: HP 85, Str 45, Skl 40, Spd 45, Lck 40, Def 25, Res 10.
Lance: HP 80, Str 40, Skl 45, Spd 50, Lck 35, Def 20, Res 15.

All within 5% of each other, both kinda squishy, but both pretty decent over all. Allen's growths add up to 290; Lance's to 285. It is all terribly unfair.

A knight serving Ostia. Loyal and dutiful.

Borscht is not only Lilina's bodyguard, he is also magical. That is why knights have 5 Move now. Don't question it.

His growths are HP 90, Str 30, Skl 30, Spd 40, Lck 50, Def 35, Res 10. poo poo, Bors, what are you even trying to be? A knight shouldn't be gaining more speed than defence, what the gently caress.

A veteran paladin serving Pherae. Roy's instructor in combat.

And to round things out, here is Marcus F. Jeigan, pretty standard early-game paladunce crutch character. You don't really need me to explain the concept of a Jeigan in depth, do you? No? Good. Anyway he looks pretty cool. Always did like the hair, it kinda makes him look like an elderly hedgehog. His growths are, according to the custom of his people, pretty terrible (HP 60, Str 25, Skl 20, Spd 25, Lck 20, Def 15, Res 20) but I'm gonna use the poo poo out of Marcus.

(Eventually.)

All right, let's-

Ahem. As I was saying. Now we can get on with it.

Cavs can move seven squares, provided there's nothing in the way. It's nice.

As our standard Speedy Cavalier, Lance's speed is at least four points higher than this bandit's, which means he hits twice for 18 damage total.

The bandit hits zero times for zero damage. I'm liking Lance already.

Bors uses his magical powers to follow up.

His hit rate is kind of iffy, but he pulls it off without a hitch. Wow, you might even think knights could be useful if they weren't doomed to lag behind the people they're supposed to be standing in front of and taking hits for!

As the Punchy Cavalier, Allen only hits once, but harder. This means he's... actually not as punchy as Lance. Why do we even keep this guy around?

Good job, Allen.

The moment of truth.

Nice.

Unfortunately, Wolt is still an archer, and this bandit is in range to hit him...

...so Marcus gets in the way, and also hands off all his stuff to Allen because otherwise he would kill the bandit and steal all my experience points.

The dastard.

At least we're getting their attention.

Wait, that's not a good thing.

But they'll have to go through me to get into the castle!

Don't mind if I do!

The enemies get their turn, and Allen gets an axe to the face. Again. Good job, Allen.

But that one bandit was the only one in range, and now Wolt can erase him.

Meanwhile, Roy goes and visits this hut.

If you don't have any, you won't be able to replace your broken weapons! And you can't fight without weapons!

This is true. Fire Emblem does not allow you to punch dudes.

drat it Fire Emblem why do you not let me punch dudes

While Roy's off having tea and tutorials, Lance.

I like Lance.

Allen gets the kill on this guy, allowing Bors...

...to skewer this archer. Ouch! :haw:

If you wanna do well in battle you'd better use terrain wisely. For example, if you're in a forest the trees will cover you! That'll teach your enemies who they're dealing with.

Marcus can't fight (because he doesn't have any weapons) so he just goes and gets tutorial'd at instead. This is the house just above Roy...

...and as a mounted unit, Marcus can keep moving after doing non-combat things. Very handy. Roy wishes he could keep moving after doing non-combat things.

He also wishes he had 8 Move, but alas.

I've decided: Lance is the Best Character.

Allen not so much drat it Allen have you even dodged a single hit

Meanwhile,

Bors defies the weapon triangle. Because he is magical.

Some more poking takes place and Allen, who doesn't start with one because he's dumb, grabs Wolt's vulnerary (10HP healing potion) and starts boxing in this archer, because you can do that to archers. Because they're archers.

You're not allowed to hang with Allen any more, he's a terrible influence.

He may have taken a hit, but Lance completed the boxing-in. Look at that archer. Look at him and laugh.

I know this isn't much... But please accept this money on behalf of all of us. Use it well!

Roy continues making the rounds and gets 5000 gold from this random villager. She has already contributed more to our cause than the protagonist. God drat it Roy, get a grip.

Soldiers from Bern have crossed the border... They laid an awful attack. And even if the allied lords strike back, Lord Eliwood... He can't even stand anymore...

Marcus visits the last house, and holy poo poo Eliwood, what have you been doing with yourself since the last game? ...Next game?

Enemy phase rolls around again, Lance continues being Lance.

Marcus think Roy spends too much time ogling the villager girl and comes to pick him up.

Next turn, he drops him off here.

Wolt is on a roll. How much of a roll?

This much. And it earns him the first level of the LP. It's... Well okay, it's Strength, so it's fine. Wolt'll really want to develop some speed one of these days, though, since as Lance has so kindly demonstrated, hitting twice is a lot nicer than hitting once.

Duh.

Lance, having deserved it, gets the second level by mercy-killing the poor archer. Speed is good, I'll take speed.

Allen hasn't deserved a level, so he doesn't get one.

This will draw out one of the bandits...

...who proceeds to actually miss Allen.

Who takes revenge on his turn and... God drat it Allen. I'm watching you.

Meanwhile, Marcus takes his sword back and hands it to Roy, because that rapier isn't doing him much good right now and it's kinda fragile.

Bors drew out another bandit and hit him just hard enough that Roy can finish the job.

Baby's first skirmish! It goes quite well for him.

Wolt puts that DEF score to use and parks himself where the bandit was, luring out the next one.

As well as the archer!

Our archer wins the epic sniping duel.

(Stop laughing!)

Alan weakens...

...and Roy finishes the last generic bandit.

That only leaves Dumbass, and... I am not liking my chances on this one. Attacking would be suicidal; I'll just park Bors there so he can counter and get the hell out.

Lance doesn't fare much better with his javelin, but at least it won't kill him if he misses.

You can't take down a few pathetic knights?!

Pathetic, are we?

36 hit!

Except FE6 uses True Hit (average of two random numbers) and so the actual hit rate here is 26. I knew I liked Lance for a reason!

Bors does get hit, but continues to defy the weapon triangle and puts a nice hole in Dumbass. Wolt helps, too.

Can't win them all. Next turn, Lance misses both his javelin throws.

It's only right and proper for Roy to retake his own castle, so I'll park him here. Also Damas heals because he's sitting on a gate he's an rear end in a top hat.

Ha-ha! And Roy hits. Well, that means we've won. So on our next turn...

Attaboy, Roy! And, well, strength is good.

And on the next turn...

:toot:

That was kinda sloppy, but it wasn't as if these guys deserved better. I'm sure I'll be able to astound you with my deep tactical know-how on upcoming maps.

I'm so glad to see you both! Thank goodness you're unharmed.

Thanks for the rescue, Roy.

Of course, Father. How is your health?

Well enough. I've some life in me yet. But Roy, do you know why I called you back here?

I'm to take over your role by leading the soldiers of Pherae. We must join the rest of the Lycian Army to defend our people.

Exactly. As you know, Bern has commenced an invasion of Lycia. We are honorbound to follow the ancient vows of our allegiance. Lycia needs every lord's army, and we must oblige.

As you know, exposition starting with "as you know" is loving stupid and I'm blaming this on Eliwood not being all there due to his unspecified yet serious illness.

Of course.

I'm truly sorry to interrupt your studies and force you into this war, but I'm not well... I'm in no condition to lead an army.

Still do a better job than Roy at it

Father...

(I don't hate Roy or anything. He did well on this map.)

My father leads Lycia's largest army. And I'm certain my magic will be of help to Roy...

No, Lilina. You must return to Ostia.

...Why?

With Hector preparing for battle, there is no one sitting on the throne of Ostia. It must be an uneasy feeling for the people not to have a sitting lord. As the daughter of the marquess, you must take the throne until Hector returns. That will put the people at ease. Do you have any objections?

Tons! I'm missing out on a caster, for starters! Shut up this is more important

...No, my lord.

:sigh:

You are to meet them at the border to Bern. Merlinus will accompany you. He is knowledgeable and experienced and should be of great help.

Thank you for everything, Father.

Don't worry, my son. I have absolute faith in you! Fight bravely, and show everyone who the next marquess of Pherae is!

Yes, Father!

:unsmith:

You needn't ask, milady. I will accompany Lord Roy in his travels and protect him with my very life.

Thank you, Bors.

I will. You too, Lilina.

And with that...

The first chapter is over. By the looks of it, the next one will be very exciting.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 6, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well this seems an interesting experiment. Did you make those little adjustments yourself or is this a patch?

And it's funny how Allen and Lance's relative usefulness is reversed from the ones in the Max Rank thread.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Spoiler:Roy's Our Boy

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Nice! You're using Gringe's translation right?

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

how many times is this game going to be lped exactly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ddinkins posted:

i quit mine two updates in, fucker

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So is Wolt keeping his own growth rates, or did you give him Hector's growths along with his stats?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also giving wolt hector's bases isn't going to really help him that much. sure that strength is a boon but he doesn't have the speed bump that he really needs. and what is he going to do with 8 defense. he's an archer.

and if you changed his growth's to match hector's then that's probably a downgrade

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Lotish posted:

Well this seems an interesting experiment. Did you make those little adjustments yourself or is this a patch?

They're all my fault.

quote:

And it's funny how Allen and Lance's relative usefulness is reversed from the ones in the Max Rank thread.

Well, it's probably too early to tell. Lance will probably still has a chance to disappoint me terribly in upcoming levels :v:

The Iron Rose posted:

Nice! You're using Gringe's translation right?

Yup, that's the one.

ddinkins posted:

It's going to be lped until I've loving well had enough.

e:

W.T. Fits posted:

So is Wolt keeping his own growth rates, or did you give him Hector's growths along with his stats?

He has both Hector's bases and growths, except for speed (Wolt's original is like 5% higher than Hector's).

Endorph posted:

also giving wolt hector's bases isn't going to really help him that much. sure that strength is a boon but he doesn't have the speed bump that he really needs. and what is he going to do with 8 defense. he's an archer.

Hector's bases are the same as or better than Wolt's in everything, so it is certainly going to help to some extent.

And he's going to facetank, what else would you do with 8 DEF?

quote:

and if you changed his growth's to match hector's then that's probably a downgrade

Hector's growths are an upgrade or at worst no change compared to Wolt's in I think every stat but speed, which as previously mentioned is -5%.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 30, 2015

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Wait a minute. Let's just go... Lemme see, Serenes Forest > Binding Blade > Characters > Base Stats...

Oh, vilkacis. :allears: This is certainly going to be something. Good luck with playing this blind.
Still waiting on you to LP the rest of the Suikoden games one of these days.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh wait i misread, carry on

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 30, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

yeah but an archer cares about two numbers: strength and speed. making either of those bad makes an archer bad. Wolt's speed was shaky before and it has made the downgrade to 'bad.'

quote:

He has both Hector's bases and growths, except for speed (Wolt's original is like 5% higher than Hector's).

:confused: He also has exactly the same speed as base Wolt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah you're right, whoops

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I approve of this scheme to make ofs do more doodles.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Bors Manjaw returns.

I approve of this.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't give away my evil plan! :argh:

Anyway, :siren: Thread participation time! :siren:

Are you guys interested in seeing the growth rates? I figured there wasn't much point since odds are we'll just use the characters who turn out well whether it's statistically likely that they do so or not, but I'll post them if there's enough interest

Here's a poll you can fill out. The thread was 70% in favour of More Numbers, so more numbers it is!

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 30, 2015

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Numbers, numbers everywhere!

This should be interesting either way. Looking forward to it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I am going to continue laughing with Artix because I was doing up the mini patch for his own runthrough and now this one popped up. Carry on Vilk and if you need anything I can provide let me know.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

cheetah7071 posted:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Magnifique.

I'll look forward to someone Actually Using Wolt (hopefully). And those may be the most consistently mediocre level-ups I've seen, impressive!

Nock
Apr 6, 2015
Grimey Drawer
I've never seen this game before; this should be interesting. I'm here for the ride.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

All right so

that's pretty overwhelmingly in favour of All The Numbers, so I've gone and edited them in in the first post and will be posting them in upcoming parts as well.

Zaodai posted:

Numbers, numbers everywhere!

Indeed, the people have spoken!

Onmi posted:

I am going to continue laughing with Artix because I was doing up the mini patch for his own runthrough and now this one popped up. Carry on Vilk and if you need anything I can provide let me know.

I feel a little bad, but he did say it would be months before he got around to it even if he did, and I simply could not wait that long for the Roy Experience.

Thanks, I'll probably take you up on that if I need to do something more complicated than turning my archers into Hector.

That will do nicely.

Insurrectionist posted:

Magnifique.

I'll look forward to someone Actually Using Wolt (hopefully). And those may be the most consistently mediocre level-ups I've seen, impressive!

I'll be using the hell out of Wolt. He's Roy's bro, we shouldn't leave him behind just because he's terrible at absolutely everything! And he's even not terrible at absolutely everything any more.

Nock posted:

I've never seen this game before; this should be interesting.

That's what I'm hoping, but don't blame me if it turns out horribly wrong right wrong!

e: sorry, missed this last time

Yapping Eevee posted:

Oh, vilkacis. :allears: This is certainly going to be something. Good luck with playing this blind.
Still waiting on you to LP the rest of the Suikoden games one of these days.

I'm not entirely blind, so it's not quite as bad as it could have been. Still, I expect failures to start popping up as I get further in.

MAYBE. Thing is I should probably re-read Water Margin before I do it and that's long, man!

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 30, 2015

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

vilkacis posted:

I feel a little bad, but he did say it would be months before he got around to it even if he did, and I simply could not wait that long for the Roy Experience.

Oh it's not a matter of "if", it's just not my current priority for obvious reasons. It looks like you're using the rebalance patch, so that's cool. I'm not a fan of it because it changes a whole bunch of poo poo that FE6 was not designed around, and the patch Onmi and I were cooking up is a little more robust anyway, but that's neither here nor there anyway.

Also how blind is blind here? Because FE6 has a lot of dick moves, including a few that make the game literally uncompletable (although it would mean you get the more satisfying ending :v:).

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I never ended up actually finishing my last run because I couldn't be hosed playing the last two maps to be honest. I figure they're so easy with the S-rank weapons that they're basically optional anyway! But the second to last one with its terrible one-tile wide winding corridors going on forever seriously wins my 'worst designed FE map' award, no question.

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.
I look forward to seeing the utter dominance of orphanage trio.

Sad but true story - I came off the high of FE7, using Matthew and Legault as uber-Assassins, and expected Chad to be much the same if I put in the time and effort. Imagine my surprise when I cap him out and wait for the Fell Contract to show up somewhere. I get to the fight with King Zephiel, which is when I twigged to the fact that a. I'm an idiot who should google things when suspicions get raised and b. my Chad was better than Roy at that point... loving RNG :argh:

Go forth and conquer (or liberate or whatever), vilkacis!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MonotoneMorgan posted:

Sad but true story - I came off the high of FE7, using Matthew and Legault as uber-Assassins, and expected Chad to be much the same if I put in the time and effort. Imagine my surprise when I cap him out and wait for the Fell Contract to show up somewhere. I get to the fight with King Zephiel, which is when I twigged to the fact that a. I'm an idiot who should google things when suspicions get raised and b. my Chad was better than Roy at that point... loving RNG :argh:

To be fair you're only losing 10 speed and skill (and lethality) I really hate Assassin caps

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Artix posted:

It looks like you're using the rebalance patch, so that's cool.

Nope, just the vanilla translation. Any other changes are solely my own fault.

quote:

Also how blind is blind here? Because FE6 has a lot of dick moves, including a few that make the game literally uncompletable (although it would mean you get the more satisfying ending :v:).

Uh. Kinda sorta blind? I do know about some of the dick moves, but I'm missing the specifics of the story and how the maps actually play.

MonotoneMorgan posted:

That's not how you spell Wolt though :confused:

quote:

I figure there's a pretty good chance we'll be doing one of those things, but I'm not sure which yet.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

You really think someone would do that?
Just go on the internet and tell lies?
I vote that, in honor of FE: if, all the weapons and staffs have unlimited durability. Mainly because berserks and sleeps forever

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Nice try, but staves won't have infinite uses in If. :smug:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chapter 2: The Princess of Bern or, A Ruud Awakening

Brigands dealt with, it's time to take on something a little more interesting...

This is where Roy is to meet the mercenary band that Eliwood hired.

...after the cutscene, natch.

At the time Roy reaches the village, the castle is in an outright panic. Roy has yet to realize that this confusion going on in the castle will spread, engulfing the entire continent of Elibe in chaos...

Heavy stuff.

And then...

:ughh:

I'm all for keeping names as close to the original as you can, but sometimes you have to make some changes in order for things not to look loving stupid in another language. Milady may very well be the intended name, but the problem is that in English, that is not a name but a free ticket to a front page article about a killing spree after years of bullying at school.

Also, it looks loving stupid.

Let's take this from the top.

I'm firmly convinced that my version is very slightly less stupid than the original.

I'm certain she was in her room this morning, but she simply vanished...

Prisons: Somewhat less effective in a setting where rescue and warp staves are a thing.

(Not that it'd help in this case because the range is 1-MAG, walls are one tile minimum, and no one in this group has more than 1 MAG.)

I don't want excuses! Are you so incompetent you can't understand that?!

Looks that way :v:

Our forces are mobilizing to begin a full-scale war with Lycia. How are we to focus on the battle if the princess is missing?!
Naturally, you will take full responsibility for her disappearance.

I never should have let Her Highness come to the border to begin with. I will return to Bern and inform the king of this matter.
I'll try not to cause a panic, but I can't promise your life if the princess isn't found. I trust you'll take every measure to locate her as soon as possible.

Yes, Captain!

Miledy Melody Milady Marth flies off on a wyvern...

Leaving Rude Ruud to scheme.

Yes, Commander. She's under constant surveillance in the cellar.

Good. Don't let her escape.

But Commander... Are you sure this is a good idea?

Of course I'm sure! The younger sister of King Zephiel... We're sure to get a hefty sum turning her over to one of Bern's enemies.

Loyalty to one's king. Bah. What a worthless notion. The world is rules by neither king nor queen. It's ruled by gold!

Yes, indubitably, Commander.
...But there has been a snag, shall we say.

Hm? What do you mean?

I just received a report... It seems that Princess Guinivere's lady-in-waiting has escaped...

What?! You lout, why didn't you say so earlier? Find her this instant! Don't let her get away!

Ruud parks his rude rear end on his castle gate and spawns in a bunch of mooks, while the generic soldier who shall never be named scurries off...

...and on the other side of the mountains, our group has arrived just in time for the bloodbath.

This is where we're supposed to meet the mercenaries?

Yes, though it seems they aren't here yet.
Wait, who's that? Somebody's coming this way...

I'm not sure what she's doing here. If she wasn't a healer, I'd think she was trying to pick Bors' pockets.

Silly Elen, plate armour doesn't have pockets.

Oh, forgive me! I'm in such a hurry...

Sure isn't moving very fast for a lady in a hurry!

No need for apologies. Are you hurt?

No, I'm fine. Thank you, good sir.

Farewell, then.

...Are you from Lycia, by chance?

I am.
I am the son of Marquess Pherae.

Oh, Saint Elimine! Thank you for guiding me to this boy!

Please, I need your help to rescue my mistress.

What happened?

My name is Elen. I am a cleric of Saint Elimine. My mistress and I came from Bern to seek an audience with the lords of Lycia. However, Commander Ruud of the castle east of here trapped us. We were captured, imprisoned by our own countrymen.

That is very Ruud of them.

We must avoid unnecessary entanglements with Bern!

But... But they're the bad guys! We can't just leave them un-smote!

But we can't neglect a noble of Bern who wants to speak with the lords of Lycia.
...Then again, we can't simply charge into enemy territory either...

Happily,

Wait, who's there?!

...that issue shall resolve itself forthwith.

Oh, generic soldier, we hardly knew you.

Over here, boys! Get the girl! Our orders say dead or alive!

Or is this another generic soldier? Ah, they all look the same to me...

Well, guess we better kill them all!

Well, Merlinus, they provoked hostilities. I don't think we have any choice now.

Mentally, Roy is fistpumping and going YES!

He learned it from Hector.

You wouldn't listen even if we did, I'm sure.

That, too.

But no matter. Let me witness all you've learned about tactics in Ostia.

"I've already seen what you learned about everything else in Ostia. drat you Hector."

All right, everyone! We're going to charge the castle!
Sister Elen, you should find a place to hide...

No, I will come with you. I cannot fight, but I can heal wounded allies.

But...

ROY NO I swear I will digitalize myself and upload the data into this rom so I can punch you in the face if you chase away the only healer we've seen all game do you understand me

I'm the one that got you tangled up in this mess. Please let me do what I can to help.

OK, but just stay behind us so you aren't hurt.

...Good Roy.

Certainly. Thank you for the concern.

All right, go time, but first...

A young cleric serving Guinivere. Serene and gracious.

Elen is goddamn terrible, are you seeing this poo poo, one point of magic :frogout:

...But her growths are HP 45, Mag 50, Skl 30, Spd 20, Lck 70, Def 5, Res 60, so she at least has a good chance to gain mag - but she'll kinda just evaporate if someone with a physical weapon glances harshly at her, and while 8 speed to start isn't bad, a 20% growth rate is. Let's just say Elen's kind of a mess.

A servant of Pherae in charge of the army's inventory.

We've also got this guy who's basically dead weight. He can't fight, all he does is haul items around for us, which is okay as long as we have as many deployment slots as we do party members, but... he'll get replaced as soon as we have the opportunity.

HP 100, Str 0, Skl 50, Spd 50, Lck 100, Def 20, Res 5. Those 100% chances would be a lot more fun on a unit that will ever actually see combat...

To start with, Marcus goes to visit this village.

But some weapons, like this sword, can pierce their armor. I'm sure you can get better use out of it than us. Please, take it.

For his trouble, Marcus gets an Armorslayer. It kills knights dead.

Allen rides down and tries to kill this guy. He should double for 28 damage, but misses one of his ~80% shots, so Roy has to clean up for him.

Lance, meanwhile, faces a worse hit rate and naturally lands both his attacks for a one-round kill. Look at this poo poo, Allen. Maybe you could learn something.

At least Elen can turn Allen's mishap into experience points. She gets 11 of them for a heal. 11.

Yeah, I don't see her stats getting much better than they already are. For all the poo poo Awakening gets, this is at least something they fixed...

Bors heads down to the tile above the fort, straight south from his position. The enemy turn rolls around and they try attacking him.

It's good to be Bors.

Shanna, check around and try to find the soldiers from Pherae, will you?

After we beat on the helpless soldiers for a bit, some new faces pop up from the lower right corner! Faces that should probably be bespectacled, since I can see our dudes just fine from here.

She flies off to the left on her winged pony.

House Pherae, one of the noble families of Lycia. The marquess's son is going to join the other armies of the Lycian League.

Looks that way.

Finally, a foe worthy of my axe! Let's show 'em what we're made of!

Bern, eh? This won't be easy, I can tell you that. We had best tread lightly.

Nah, I think we're good.

Shanna returns, having flown around the globe only to realize that we were right there all along. Isn't that embarrassing.

But it looks like they're already caught up in a skirmish.

What? The fighting's started already? Let's get a move on then. Time to earn our pay!

And then it's our turn again, so let's check out the newcomers.

A former arena fighter from Eturia. Leads a band of mercenaries.

Meet Ogma Lite. HP 90, Str 40, Skl 40, Spd 30, Lck 35, Def 20, Res 15.

A young man fighting alongside Deke. Brash and impulsive.

Bord (or was it Cord?). HP 75, Str 50, Skl 45, Spd 20, Lck 45, Def 30, Res 5.

A young man fighting alongside Deke. Calculating and cautious.

And Cord (or maybe Bord?). HP 80, Str 30, Skl 30, Spd 35, Lck 30, Def 40, Res 15.

A pegasus knight in training. Traveling the world to hone her skills.

And the world's shittiest pegasus knight. You know who else starts with 4 Str? Wolt. (Well, vanilla Wolt anyway.) And no one likes Wolt. It's not likely to get terribly much better, either: HP 45, Str 30, Skl 55, Spd 60, Lck 60, Def 10, Res 25. The speed's nice, though?

Back on our end, Lance softens up this guy, dodging the counter in return (because Lance),

...and Roy finishes him off for strength. Not a whole lot else, but I like strength.

Allen misses one of his shots (of course) and takes a counter (naturally). Wolt follows up and fires two arrows. He hits with one. That's enough.

Goddamn.

Bors takes the fort and is Bors-er than ever.

Remember, swords best axes, axes best lances, and lances best swords! Keep this in mind and things will be much easier for you!

Marcus gets a lecture he might have appreciated like, one quest to save the world ago.

And Merlinus gets to shopping, fills his pockets, and sends the next vulnerary to himself.

Don't ask.

I get like six of these things, vulneraries are always nice to have.

Deke's group gets started on the approaching horde. All of them come with some interesting toys, but the regular weapons will be good enough for the rabble. Wade dodges and two-hits this guy. He then does basically the same thing to a couple of fighters. I think I like Wade.

Bors has taken like two points of damage this fight, total. Sitting on the fort heals him fully. It's good to be Bors.

Wolt kills a man just to watch him die... well, to get numbers, too. Speed is good!

As is strength.

Marcus finds the armory up top. He gets like three each of all the basic iron weapons and a couple of javelins.

But woe to any rider who finds herself against an archer. An arrow can take a pegasus down in a single hit!

Merlinus gets more lectures. Marcus is probably better off this round.

Shanna briefly considers it.

Holy poo poo you suck, that's an archer, they barely even have stats.

Meanwhile, Wade axes hard-hitting questions and gets results.

Deke isn't doing any worse. Dodge, double.

Lot does not dodge, but does double.

I like doubling.

A Lot.

Shanna sucks, so she just sits here like an idiot. Look at that mini-portrait. :pwn:

Enemy phase, and three dudes chuck javelins at Deke. He doesn't care a Lot.

At least Shanna gets to do something this round.

Yaaay you got one kill.

If you're in a fort, you can defend and even dodge more easily. On top of that, your wounds will heal slowly over time.

And the last of the tutorial huts. More yaaay.

The enemies do a Lot of missing. We, not so much, although sometimes we get one of these little dance-offs.

Having wiped out the last of that group, we're set to draw out the last few.

Only one of them take the bait. He promptly wishes he hadn't.

He does a litttle better against Roy next round, though. Ow.

So help me, I will level you up if it kills you.

Allen can't finish this...

...so Wade borrows Lot's hand axe, the 1-2 range axe...

...and chucks it into a loving lake or something.

In the end, Allen has to handle it himself, but he's better off for it. None of these levels have been huge, but all of them have had an important stat in them, so I can't whine too much. Allen really wants that speed.

Lot takes back the hand axe...

...and adds another point of Str to the growing pile. No complaints!

With only the boss left, Roy chats up Deke.

Are you Lord Roy of House Pherae?

Who is it that's asking?

Name's Deke. You should've heard about me from an older man named Merlinus.

So you're the leader of the mercenary band?

Just a small company, really.
Sorry we're late. Didn't think the fighting would start so soon.

Well... There was a complication...

Don't take it the wrong way. We don't blame you. Actually, quite the contrary. My boys are excited for a chance to show off their skills.

"What about the girl?"

"hosed if I know, she always looks like that."

Brilliant. It sounds like you're just the caliber of fighters we need.

Enough chitchat then. Let's wrap things up.

Not much left now.

A knight in control of a castle on the Bern-Lycia border.

Ruud has a javelin, a 1-2 range spear. As knights tend to do, he hits hard and doesn't care much when you hit back.

But Wade has a nice little surprise for him! The hammer is super effective against armoured targets.

Just when I thought things had finally turned my way...

Of course, Wade not only misses, he takes a spear through the chest as well. :downs:

Even Hector's bases aren't enough for this. Maybe if he had a wolf-beil bow or something.

All three hits land. Still, Hector's bases are good for something so Wolt is still able to go another round with this guy.

Marcus hands Deke the Armorslayer.

Meanwhile, Roy busts out the rapier. Like the hammer, it's effective against armour.

In the end, Deke doesn't get to use that sword. Ruud misses Roy, who doubles in return.

Then they do the same thing the next round, and there we go.

(Why is this guy orange anyway, his portrait wears purple!)

Greed can only... bring you... an ill fate...

A little late for that revelation now.

At least Roy gets numbers out of it.

Then Elen heals everyone until she gets a level and it was not worth it and we're not going to talk about this again.

There was a woman locked in the cellar!

Seize the day, and the castle gate too.

That must be Elen's mistress. Bring her here.

Yes, milord.

I like to imagine Merlinus just carrying her under his arm.

Elen! I'm so relieved you're well. You put yourself in such danger running off like you did... I worried myself sick about you.

I am sorry, Your Highness, but I couldn't leave you in that dank cellar...

Don't worry yourself, Elen. It's thanks to you I am safe now.

I am Roy, son of Eliwood, Marquess Pherae.

It's a pleasure... As for myself...

Your Highness... Are you certain you should?

Maybe you should be a little less obvious with the "Your Highness" part if you wanted to go that route :ssh:

Yes, Elen. It is fine.
My name is Guinivere.

Guinivere?! That's the name of the princess of Bern!

"...And no one else!"

Yes, that is I.

Maybe you should have carried her a little more politely.

This was a trap, wasn't it?!

Admiral Ackbar, you are not.

Merlinus, hold.

I beg your pardon, Lord Roy, but...

I wish to hear her out. Give her a chance, will you?

Tsk. As you will...

Yes, truly. I cannot blame you for doubting me, however.

Maybe you are the princess of Bern, and maybe you aren't. I can see from your actions and dress that you are at least of high status. If you are indeed Princess Guinivere, however, there's one thing I don't understand. Elen told me you intended to meet the lords of the Lycian League.

Yes, that is correct.

Why, if you are the sister of the king of Bern?

I want to find a peaceful way to end the war. If I can speak to the Lycian council, I'm certain we can come to a solution.

Your brother instigated this war. Is it in your power to stop it?

At the very least, I wish to do everything I can. No, I MUST do everything I can.

...I see.
For the time being, come with us to meet the Lycian League armies. I want to see what Lord Hector thinks of this affair.

You will allow me to accompany you?

Yes. If there is any possibility to avoid further bloodshed, we must try. It matters not how small the chance.

Roy's a pretty okay dude, I think his reaction to all this is reasonable enough.

Thank you! I truly am in your debt.

And with that, we are done! Thank you for watching and don't forget to like, comment and subscribe.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 11, 2015

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Miledy 4 life.
A Wolt that can actually do damage, horror of horrors!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Insurrectionist posted:

Miledy 4 life.

I for one am shocked.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm dying at your portrait changes.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

quote:

:allears:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

FPzero posted:

I'm seriously hoping my impression that they were hacked into the rom was correct. Because fire emblem doesn't have enough dumb face masks of questionable identity concealment(tm)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

vilkacis posted:

Bors takes the fort and is Bors-er than ever.

Would you say this is the Borst he's ever been? :haw:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Strangely hypnotic.

quote:

Why, if yuo are the sister of the king of Bern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

I know, I haven't even played the game before and even I can tell there's something wrong here.

FPzero posted:

Good I'm sorry Good.

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm seriously hoping my impression that they were hacked into the rom was correct.

It most certainly is!

W.T. Fits posted:

Would you say this is the Borst he's ever been? :haw:

I could say that, but then I would need to be smacked.

:negative:

Fixed.

• Locked thread