Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh thank gently caress, I thought I was the only one who absolutely hated Miledy's name. Every goddamn time I saw it, I was thinking "fat man in fedora."

I'm loving your changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Onmi posted:

I don't mind Miledy, but I always responded poorly to the Milady change, I don't care if it's an actual name and Melody is completely unfitting. I also react this way to Jerrot

The spoilered name is totally a rare root vegetable, not a human being. Also, I meant Milady; Miledy just makes me think of mildew, which is, um, a mild improvement, I guess.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I think it's high time that some useless character late in the game is replaced by a certain axe wielding maniac from the prequel to this game.

By which I mean just dump some random prepromote you'll never use, and bring in Hector.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

WHAT DID YOU DO TO RUTGER'S FACE

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Wayne posted:

Kids! :negative:

He was going for Rutger Hauer, probably most famous [at least in nerdy circles] as the "villain" Roy Batty from Blade Runner.

Loving the edits, Vil. :D Did you actually change Roy's portrait in-game for that chapter?

Edit: Holy cow, Blade Runner is as old as I am. :staredog:

Goddamn, that's why I recognized that face.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Fionordequester posted:

So, speaking of localization and Clarine...remember when she says "Hmph, I will not be friendly with you..."? Well, turns out, that was just a flat mistranslation, as according to Gringe, the guy who did the new localization (he frequents Serenes Forest)...

So there we go. Pretty interesting huh?

My takeaway is that Clarine is far better than generic mildly-uptight noble jrpg heroine #735.

Also that literal translations aren't always the best kind of translation.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

I fully support the LP ending with Roy's head just being an enormous red pom-pom as his facial hair slowly engrosses his entire portrait.

:agreed:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

If someone remakes this game, they'd drat well either save hector or have him mortally wound one of the people he's fighting against.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

That is seriously cool. Not just because you found a way to save hector while also keeping Bern a credible threat, but also because of the shifting objectives.

Plus, there's gotta be some stupidly good player who could defeat the bern troops here, so it's even a rather hard challenge as well!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

That was impressively bland for a chapter about claiming a super-sword.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

dude789 posted:

You should have Lilina grow facial hair as well and have her compete with Roy to see who has the most by the end of the game. You can base it on stat total or something.

Pretty sure there's an image of her with hector's beard from Artix's LP

I'd like to keep it to Roy, watching his beard slowly grow has been marvelous

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Just boost her movement by 2, no need for class changes.

Also get rid of her from the sprite, and make her a talking horse healer.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

dude789 posted:

One option for Cecilia could be to keep her bases the same but give her sky high growths. It would even make thematic sense because you could say she had to work her way back into fighting shape after being badly injured.

That's...not quite how injuries or recovery work.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Muscle atrophy?

Among other things, yeah. That said, does it really matter?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

So is Elphin an elf, Elvis, or an Elvis Impersonating Elf?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I was going for mild alliteration, not actually asking. :v:

I'm mildly disappointed that Klein isn't a literal Klein bottle.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

If you were actually going for the Pratchett reference, "Elphin" (goddammit how did I miss that) had better have a guitar in his sprite.

EDIT: Oh my loving god, that sprite :allears:

Jen X fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 18, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

vilkacis posted:

The FE8 LP was a fun thread that inspired many great things.

Seriously, check out the fanart section, it's pretty ridiculous.

I was lurking then (and had been for...3 years by then, I think,) but I remember it, just like I very fondly remember the FE fangames thread.

Wait...you were the guy who made the bench gifs? Oh my god, no wonder this LP is so amazing.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

oh cool, the other incredible poster from the fe8 lp is here now too

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

OH MY loving GOD

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Shei-kun posted:

Are you implying that you can't make this happen? :colbert:

Doesn't Awful Emblem already have the female axe lord combat sprite made?

Lilina needs to avenge her dad.

I'm actually not certain if it's all that easy to let a magic character use a strength weapon or not.

Besides, Roy is going to turn into a palette swapped version of hector soon enough. Or of Athos. It all depends on how long his beard gets, I figure.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I absolutely love that roy level animation. :iia:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

vilkacis posted:

I'm sure there are plenty of people who wear red and like to keep their eyes covered and are three times faster than the opposition, no need to get all :tinfoil: on me.

That sounds like a knockoff version of the Flash.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Use Gonzales, Vilkacis.

And somehow Quarth's sprite weirds me out even more than good old Maggie's.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

vilkacis posted:

It's the way she's curiously familiar, yet looks nothing like the lady with the butterfly mask in that one early map, isn't it?

I actually think it's because of her hairstyle that goes completely straight by her neck, and also the razor-thin tiara on her forehead.

But the deja-vu contributes, yes.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

vilkacis posted:

It's not that thin.

I mean, three pixels isn't a lot, but her actual face isn't more than like 30-35 pixels tall.

When her glasses take up 20% of her sprite and there's a 3 pixel wide line above them, it's pretty weird. It looks like she has wrinkles.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 28, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

vilkacis posted:

Hm. Well, I could always just remove it :v:

Better?

That was a hell of a lot more effort to go to than my mild unease with her sprite deserved, but yeah, it really does look better.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Astol is a terrible name, though not as bad as the living tipped fedora

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Just hack poorly disguised versions of them into the party with no fanfare whatsoever.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

At this point I think you should go for the double and have some of your more useless units die, and not reset.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Percy did try to murder Roy, it was just proactive self-defense on the latter's part with a few tragic results for the former.

Also why the hell is Lilina standing in front of what seems by all accounts to be a bandit and refusing to move.

I'm pretty sure a real bandit would kill her and steal her stuff. So you really did the world a favor by killing the lovely bandit instead of recruiting him. He'd just actively bring down the killing instinct of your team.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I legitimately thought that was a Lucia and that you'd changed the sprite.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

please just drain all of saul's stats into dorothy

like, set him to all 1s and dorothy is now all 30s

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Lilina is boring and hasn't earned the right to steal saul's stats.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

vilkacis, turn of their stat inhibitors! Let everyone grow to their full potential! Thirties all across the board!

I second this, but let's go a bit further. No caps at all. If their stats overflow, that was just what they were destined to do.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Roy's new beard is pretty nice.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

He's just going to get athos' sprite but with a red beard instead of white

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

It's a balance thing because wyvern riders are really goddamn good in general.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

vilkacis posted:

Bootrtre.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I was awaiting Roy's beard evolution, and it's everything I could have hoped for.

• Locked thread