Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Master Reference Post

Locations

Town: The place you live, probably the place you grew up. Kind of a mess right now. Part of the main island was shattered and the structures on the surviving mass that weren't damaged or destroyed are in the minority.
- Meetinghouse Ruins
- Glenda's Vault
- Gerald's Pier
- Debris Field
- Underfarms

No-Folk's-Sky: Nobody goes here. Well, daring kids have been known to grab a skiff and visit the periphery on dares, but no further. People used to live in No-Folk's-Sky, but that was a long time ago, and nobody really knows what happened to them anymore. There's a lot of spook stories told about the place, but nobody has felt the need to investigate in generations. It's almost certainly true that there is something dangerous about the place, though. People didn't start avoiding it on a whim. Things that are probably in No-Folk's-Sky: Old artifacts, pieces of the island blasted off by the disaster and lost possessions that were on that part of the island, monsters?
- Debris Field Edge
- Deeper Sites?

More Civilized Skies: There are other settlements within a few days travel, at a safer distance from No-Folk's-Sky. They probably don't have the resources to extend much free aid, but they might be able to trade some supplies if things get tight.
- ???

NPCs

Vanaah Sho: The daughter of the late mayor. Take-charge personality.
Alicia: Redd's sister. One of the few people happy to see him back.
Glenda Daorh: Sort of the island witch. Dependable, at least in some ways.
Birti Dexter: Mischievous child, Glenda's personal bane.
Old Gerald: Retired skyship captain. Owns a skyskiff that survived the disaster.

Feel free to bring up yet-unnamed places and NPCs in play!

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Meetinghouse Ruins

"I'm going to be blunt: our current state is untenable. We're going to need to work together long and hard if we want to continue living here. Some of you have kin elsewhere, but not all of us. If this place fails, I don't know what happens to the rest of us."

"We need to rebuild not just our homes, but the islands we build them on as well. As it stands, we don't have the crops to feed us once our stores run out nor the space to grow them in."

"It's not all bad news, though. We've only got a couple months before the Widdershins shows up for this half of the cycle. If we can scrape together stuff to barter, they should have enough for us to make it to next cycle."

"If nothing else, there's always the ruins in No-Folk's-Sky, but we all know the risks there and I won't ask that of anybody."

"I'm opening up this discussion to ideas. Anybody?"

Vanaah Sho called this meeting of the settlement's survivors together. She doesn't have any real authority, but she's the late mayor's daughter. She looks around the circle of folks who showed up expectantly. Some of the faces are bandaged, a couple still blotchy from tears.

It's been a day since the folks who didn't survive were all recovered and sent to Sola. It's time to rebuild, but nobody's sure where to start, never mind the dearth of current resources.

Of course, it's not all bad. Some of the people here possess unique talents that might be of use...

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 3, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Shorolin

Luna was held in his arms, resting as he came to listen to the daughter of the mayor. Shorolin wasn't sure how a being made of light CAN be held, but he didn't care all that much.

"Well, I, uh... I don't think I'll be of much help here. I volunteer to go to the ruins." he said after a few other people stated their ideas. "I think that if we find something good in there, we may have a far better chance of bartering our way through the next cycle."

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Redd

Redd hung back at the meeting. He had planned to slip out and conduct his own survey of the damage. He was surprised to hear Shorolin be so gung-ho about a mission to the ruins. Almost everyone agreed the journey was suicidal. That said, prospects around town seemed pretty grim. If there was a time to attempt it, this would be it.

Also, there was no way he would be showed up.

"Shorolin has the right idea. If we can't figure out our food situation, then there's no point wasting the energy rebuilding houses. We need to trade for supplies If there's something worth lugging back from No Folk's Sky, I'll deliver it."

He put a hand to his pocket. The letter was still there. Policy dictated Vanaah should get the letter as next-of-kin, but it looked like she had her hands full. Best to wait for now.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakana

Folded in on itself and tucked into the corner of the Meetinghouse, Lakana's suit towers over everyone else, looking very much like the insect that inspired its creation, but sunken and dead, a husk clinging on. She holds her helmet in her hands, staring into the face of it as she listens quietly. Sensing a lull in the conversation, she raises her eyes to Vanaah Sho.

"I'll go too. I have, um, a few instruments I set up out that way. If nothing else, I can dismantle them for scrap. If there is trouble out there, my suit should be facing it."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Meetinghouse Ruins

Vanaah looks a bit taken aback at the sudden volunteers. "I-I, all right. I wish you three luck with that. You certainly are the most prepared among us to go, expeditioning, for the most part. Her gaze lingers over Shorolin for a moment. "I take it you'll need transportation. Gerald?" The familiar old scarred man sitting on a piece of rubble with a cane between his legs grunts noncommittally. "Do you mind? If they borrow your-"

"Nay. It's not as though I've a better use for it right now."

"Good. I'll draw up a bit of a, well, list of priorities for you after the meeting."

Later in the meeting, Glenda volunteers the use of her Vault as general storage space for the community, joking (hopefully) "Just don't expect your belongings to stay exactly as you left them, what with what's already in there." The children present laugh.

After the meeting, Vanaah hands you a scrap of paper written with a small, precise hand.

Look for:
- Transportable valuables
- Island fragment(s) (large enough to set up a farm plot under)
- Locations of safely forageable wild food

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Community Status: Week 1

Community Barter Pool Estimate: 2k coins (2 weeks worth of supplies)

Farmable Plots: 10/30 (+ 1 week of food every 3 weeks)

Food Stores: 10 weeks

Morale: Medium

Shelter Status: 25/100 beds

---

Widdershins ETA: 15 weeks

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 3, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Decide if you want to leave anything with Glenda! Skiff load is tracked separately from your personal load, but once both are full you're not going to be able to bring anything else back! Towing back islands to use as farm plots doesn't count as load, you just can't bring back more than 1 per trip! Also, take as many extra rations with you as you want, just know they take up space and a) you might end up filling up the skiff too fast or b) if you go on super long expeditions and don't bring back enough farmable island to feed the village until the Widdershins shows up well, that's bad times.

Storage:

- Bag of Books (Lakana)

Skiff Load

0/20

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 7, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

Shorolin sat down in a corner on the deck of the skyskiff and simply waited for the others. Not like he had anything to store. All he had left was his clothes, a staff, and some food that weren't even his.

"It's better this way... either we come back with food, island pieces or money, or we come back with less mouths to feed..." he mumbled extremely quietly under his breath.

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Redd

"What a relief! They only want us to tow an island back. I was worried she was going to ask for something difficult, like Sola herself."

Redd looks at Shorolin. "Although it looks like you might have gotten some experience in that department while I was away."

He found a place on deck to be out of the way, very much aware that he didn't need the sky skiff at all. That said, flying necessitated keeping weight down, and even with his very limited gear, there was a hard limit on how much he could carry by himself. The skiff was perfect for storing any finds, provided one of them could carry stuff back. Fortunately, the new girl and her machine looked more capable on that front.

He wondered what she was doing all the way out here. What research could possibly require being all the way out in the middle of nowhere? He couldn't deny that she would be helpful, but decided to watch her all the same. He didn't believe that she was suspicious necessarily, but caution seemed appropriate. (New Bond: I'm keeping an eye out for Lanka)

Redd knew Shorolin growing up, and had a hard time believing he had ever mustered the courage to volunteer for this, much less be the first. Then again, that light following him around wasn't something that happened to just everyone. There was definitely some kind of change in him, and Redd wasn't sure that anyone knew what it was, not even Shorolin. (New Bond: Shorolin hasn't yet seen everything the skies have in store for him.)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

Shorolin didn't reply. He was far too busy being gloomy. Also, starting to get somewhat impatient, waiting for the new girl to finally get onto the skyskiff.

Truth to be told, he was envious of Redd. He had freedom, he had wings... and it certainly seems like he knows what he's doing, considering he hasn't been claimed by neither Uprain or Skysharks yet. (New bond: Redd shines so bright that they hardly need me to light the path for them.)

Let's just go, find something good or get ourselves killed. It was all the same to Shorolin right now.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakana

As they head out, Lakana puts her helmet back on, twisting the clamps on the neck to secure it to her suit. With her mechanical legs twisting and working around her, she makes her way across the remnants of the town, though she stops off with Glenda to leave behind her bag of books. (Storing bag of books)

On the skyskiff she is restless, her legs carrying her from one edge of the ship to the next, examining it from inside that helmet. But she doesn't say much, just giving a thumbs-up to indicate that she's ready to go.

Load: 9 (3)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

The ruins of your home recede into the distance as you fly towards No-Folk's-Sky. You've all heard stories about what lies within those hazy and broken skies, but you've never really seen for yourself what lies beyond the edge. What's one of the more interesting or likely tales you've heard?

Still, it's a fairly clear bright day. Sola lights up the undersides of the tatters of cloud that lie before you. You can already see Vulture's Stoop, the closest real island to town. It's probably about eight hours away by now, at the speed this skiff likes to move at. One of you dared to spend the night there as a kid. It was... an experience. Who?

Still, there's probably nothing there. Generations of the boldest of the young folk have probably found whatever secrets the place had long ago. You'll have to go deeper, where the daring turned back. At least a day's travel. Keep an eye out, although the sky is clear of danger now, that can change swiftly.

Undertake A Journey Through The Sky
When you travel in your skiff, choose one member of the party to act as quartermaster, one to act as pilot/navigator, and one to act as observer (the same character cannot have two jobs). If you don’t have enough party members or choose not to assign a job, treat that job as if it had rolled a 6. Each character with a job to do rolls+Wis. On a 10+ the quartermaster reduces the number of rations required by one. On a 10+ the navigator reduces the amount of time it takes to reach your destination (the GM will say by how much). On a 10+ the observer will spot any trouble quick enough to let you avoid it entirely or get the drop on it. On a 7–9 each roles performs their job as expected: the normal number of rations are consumed, the journey takes about as long as expected, no one gets the drop on you but you don’t get the drop on them either.

Select your roles!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

Afraid to screw up the other jobs, Shorolin shall take the job of the Quartermaster.

Despite the danger, he liked the view around here. After all, he hadn't been here before. Despite the fact that it's broken and hazy, it till had a sense of natural beauty to it - I suppose that's what happens if something stays nearly untouched for so long. He sighed, and wondered if the afterlife is as beautiful as this?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 14, 2015

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Redd

"I'm your eyes in the sky!"

Redd takes the role of observer before anyone else can claim it, and takes off, binoculars in hand to scout out from above.

Vulture's Stoop was the last place he knew that anyone regarded as "safe." He was one of the kids stupid enough to spend the night there. He'd never admitted it, but he spent the whole night crying, perched on a tree branch. He never saw anything on the island, malicious or otherwise, but he didn't really take the time to explore. Even if there had been something, his imagination no doubt made it all worse.

No-Folk's-Sky had any number of rumors surrounding it. Some people said it was abandoned when the people tried to destroy Sola's cage and were punished, their lands forever cursed. Others said it was the result of some ancient feud that got out of hand. Redd's parents were always fond of saying that bad kids lived there when their parents sent them away.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That leaves piloting the skiff to Lakana. Go ahead and roll for your roles to see how things go!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

Quartermaster: 2d6 6

Due to his inexperience with practical things, Shorolin screws up even that. 'Maybe I should just sit in a corner until it's all over...'

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Thanks to WIS and the Eye in the Sky move, I can take+2 here, which doesn't change the result at all.

Observer-En Route to No-Folk's Sky: 2d6+1+1 9

The weather is good for flying, but perhaps reminiscing about his youth wasn't a good idea. Redd thinks he can spot danger, but the window to get the drop on any potential danger has vanished.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakana

Lakana takes the controls and dives right in. She prefers to learn by doing.

Pilot the skiff: 2d6+0 6

...turns out she's not so great at piloting. It's hard to see the disappointment with her helmet on, but anyone could see the sag of her shoulders. She's noticed how Redd seems to be watching her, and this isn't reflecting well on her skills as a pilot or a skyfarer. (New bond: I will prove myself to Redd)

"They make them differently where I come from," she says to no one in particular, her voice tinny and distorted by her helmet. "The controls are more sensitive and these instruments are in different measurements... Maybe if we get time later I'll see if I can tune them."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

An inopportune gust while organizing supplies, a nudge too far on the skiff's controls, and something goes over the edge. What is lost?

Clear skies make for an easy heading, though. You pull up next to a sufficiently-large landmass as Sola goes dim. If you look carefully, you can see the distant lights of the glowworms emerging from the Worldcrust.

However, that might not be the best use of one's time when night is falling in No-Folk's-Sky and you've only just tied onto an unfamiliar island. How do you prepare for the night?

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Redd

Redd didn't see anything tumble off of the ship. His focused on the island they would be resting on. He spent his time during the waning light surveying the area for danger. Longer courier journeys often required staying on whatever islands happened to be drifting by. He found he could relax and rest his wings easier if he spent time checking the area first.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

Shorolin noticed a crate of spare parts for the skiff go over.

"Maybe... we should secure these things better..."

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakana

Lakana curses under her breath at the loss of the spare parts. She'll have to be extra-careful in the future now. Still, it doesn't seem to be all bad news as she brings the skiff in to dock with the floating island. Moving away from the controls, she scuttles out onto the spit of land and plants the legs of her mechsuit deep into the ground before she unbolts the plates and straps holding her inside and hops out.

For her preparations, Lakana fiddles with the Longlegs, calibrating it into an alarm system. If anything moves into the range of its sensors, it will let out a harsh beeping sound to alert her.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island

A cursory scouting of the island yields no immediate surprises. There's a single structure on the island, a hulking half-ruin exposed to open sky. Nothing moves in sight, save a startled bird. You've got the lay of the land, at least. Take +1 to your Take Watch roll, Redd.

A fire is started, a lone red light hanging in the middle of a dark sky. The glow worms above slowly shift, moving according to whatever drives them. Perhaps somebody knows? Perhaps not.

A meal is shared. Three near-strangers, brought together by circumstance. Perhaps more is shared, around the small fire. Mark off a ration for each of you.

A mechanical sentinel sits at the edge of the firelight, but nerves are still unsteady out here. A watch order is set. Take +1 to your Take Watch roll, Lakana.

Take Watch
When you’re on watch, roll+Wis. On a 10+ if something happens you spot it clearly and quickly and are able to wake the camp and prepare a response if necessary (if so take +1 forward). On a 7–9 if something happens you don't react swiftly enough to prepare a response, if one is needed (you have weapons and armor but little else). On a miss whatever lurks outside the campfire’s light has the drop on you, if it wanted it.

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Redd

The structure he saw might make a good place to check out in the morning. For now, he would make sure the morning came without incident. He was never one to particularly enjoy taking watch at night, when he couldn't safely fly around to actively survey the land, but it was part of his job as a member of the team.

Take Watch: 2d6+2 8

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

As usual, Luna was a lot more brave and helpful than Shorolin was.

You see, she was awake the entire night, just floating around the camp, as if looking for enemies. Whenever Shorolin was about to fall asleep, she flew directly in front of his eyes to get him back awake. Thankfully it wasn't eye-searing. He does suspect that's got something to do with his status of a Lantern, though. He sure hopes Luna didn't wake up the other two.

Take Watch: 2d6 12

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island

Redd spotted a glint in the darkness for a moment. Perhaps something simply reflecting the light? Then it disappeared with a scraping noise. Nothing followed. Perhaps it was just his imagination; it was in the general direction of the ruin, after all.

Shorolin's watch was almost peaceful. Sure, he was in the middle of uncharted territory with who knew what ghosts or monsters lurking in the skies or on the island, but the glow worm dance above was oddly relaxing. It made for a better view than the crackling remains of the fire, anyway.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakana

While on her watch, Lakana notices a problem with one of the actuators on her Longlegs. She is eventually absorbed in tinkering with the hydraulics and forgets about the rest of the world.

Take Watch: 2d6+0 3

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island

Lakana, as Sola reawakens your suit begins beeping. When you look up you see another creature around the fire. An immature khesat spider regards you with... well, it's hard to tell what a spider is thinking, even when it's a meter tall, but it's certainly regarding you. When it notices your attention it scuttles away from your campsite and jumps over the edge of the island, releasing a silken chute to carry it away. Huh.

Well, that's an interesting way to start the morning.

So, ruin running! Last evening's quick survey by Redd revealed the main structure on the island to be roughly half of a ruin. Several chambers are open to the sky on the edge of the island, and there's likely at least one entrance hidden under the growth that's taken over much of the island's surface. Hopefully nobody's been here since whatever happened to the original inhabitants.

What's the plan?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

Hey, uh, guys. Err, guy. And, uh, girl. I have an idea. Luna could scout ahead for us! You'll do that, right, Luna?

Reveal the Way (Luna): 2d6+1 11

Luna briefly blinks green.

"Okay, here's what I'm thinking. We go look for an entrance, and Luna will go in and look inside. If she sees anything, she'll come back out and blink red. If not, she'll blink green. Okay, Luna? Did you understand all of that?"

Once again, Luna blinks green.

"Or do you have any other ideas?"

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 23, 2015

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Redd

Redd is perfectly aware that he makes an excellent scout, but realizes that this is the first time since leaving that Shorolin has shown anything resembling assertiveness. Besides, there was nothing wrong with letting a ball of light take the first blow.

"Fine with me."

A large part of Redd wants to chase after the spider, to make sure to stop any scouting it might be doing, but this isn't the time for bold risks. The group has it's own set of problems without chasing spiders off into the unknown.

Jopoho fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 24, 2015

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakana

Lakana seems fascinated by how the spider floats off into the distance, and makes a mental note to see if she can acquire some of that silk later. While Shorolin and Redd are talking, she climbs into her mechsuit, letting it close and seal around her.

"I don't have any enhanced sensors or anything like that. I say let your Luna do the scouting," she says to Shorolin.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

Happy that the other two are agreeing with him, Shorolin sends Luna off into the ruins to find an entrance of sorts.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island

Luna hovers about the vegetation-covered face of the ruins. Here on the topside there's isn't so much sunlight, but enough light and rain comes down to foster a healthy layer of overgrowth. She flits in and out of the foliage ahead of you, looking for a way in. Then she disappears. A flash of red light bursts through the foliage where she disappeared, then nothing. Hrm.

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Redd takes off in Luna's direction, preferably perching on a tree and getting out his bow.

Realistically, he was never NOT going to explore the ruins, danger or no, and he wasn't going let Shorolin lose Luna. No one needed that loss so early on the journey.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island

Redd, as you start to clear aside the vegetation where you last saw signs of Luna, you see glimmers of red light deeper within the passage you're revealing. She's probably not happy about whatever she just found, if you understand her colors correctly, but she's all right.

Shorolin, Lakana, what are you up to?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

Shorolin hesitates for a moment, but follows after Redd.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakana

Like Shorolin, she also hesitates, but after a moment, she moves swiftly, carried on her arachnoid legs, curious as to what's going on.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island

After you manage to clear away the growth and squeeze through the entrance Luna found, you find yourselves in a ruined chamber. Luna's over in the far corner, flashing red. A hazy humanoid outline fails to block out her light. It looks like it's trying to shield itself from her light and reach out to her at the same time...

What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

Shorolin calls out for Luna as he noticed the strange figure close to her.

"Luna, come back please."

He wasn't sure weither or not the figure was friendly or hostile, but he didn't really like Luna being this close to it.

• Locked thread