Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island Interior

Shorolin, Luna wavers then darts over to you and hovers over your shoulder. The figure turns. It's like a person made of smoke; no discernible features, or fingers, but an undeniably humanoid appearance overall. It moves as though startling in slow motion, then begins to sink into the floor. It reaches out towards you all, its arm(?) stretching out over a dozen feet in a dreamlike fashion... What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
I think I would have been preferred running into bad kids sent away by their parents

Still, it wasn't aggressive...yet. Redd readies an arrow. "That's far enough!"

He prepares to loose the arrow at the slightest hint that it won't comply.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Shorolin

Shorolin seems somewhat... angry at the figure that seemed to alarm Luna.

"Lights! Please help me with your brillance!"

Bend Lights: 2d6+1 11

Effect: You praise the light until it draws close - fill an area with light.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakana

Lakana says nothing, but readies herself for the worst. Her mechanical arms spread wide, and she tries to be ready for any direction it may go in if it becomes aggressive.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island Interior

The room fills with light! The being, whatever it is, retreats through the floor with surprising swiftness. Its evaporating arm is the last part of it to disappear from sight. A moment later, you feel something shake briefly beneath your feet.

Well, that sure was a thing. What do you do?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

"Well, that's certainly something. At least we know how to scare those things off. What now, though? Do you two want to go further in?"

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Redd

"Of course I want to go further in. We've seen two monsters and scared both off. We're two for two!"

Redd keeps his wings tense. He's not a fan of unstable footing, and if it shakes again he'd just a soon prefer to be flying.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakana

Lakana nods. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." She starts to move cautiously around the room, inspecting the place where the shadow disappeared in particular.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island Interior

The floor where the shade disappeared is relatively whole. The room small, and built of stone. There are signs of age, but largely it seems as solid as the day it was built. There is a mosaic on the wall, but most of the colors are too worn away or coated with dust to make out the subject matter.

The room is largely empty, with the exception of a decaying wooden bench that looks unsafe to sit upon. Something knocked it over, probably a long time ago.

Other than the door you entered through, there are two more exits out of the room. One looks to be another room, and the other a corridor leading deeper into the ruin.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

Shorolin takes a look at the two options, then turns to the others.

"I think we should probably check this room first before we go deeper down?"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island Interior

Nobody protests the suggestion. Shorolin, when you walk into the adjoining room the first thing you notice is that unlike the first room, detritus is spread across the floor in here. Shreds of decaying leather and wood and fabric litter the floor. Luna flits around the room uncertainly, before stopping over something strange. A pair of clog sandals sits against the wall, untouched by age or pests.

What do you do?

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Redd

"I suppose shoes are something we need. Not exactly the most comfortable though."

Redd looks around the room carefully. As confident as he is they can handle whatever is down here, he doesn't like to be taken by surprise, and he doesn't feel that they are out of danger yet.

quote:

I’ve got a bad Feeling
When you spend a moment surveying an area, ask the GM two of the following questions. The GM must answer truthfully.
• What here is the biggest threat to me?
• What can I see that no one else can?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

"Honestly, I feel like we should leave those alone for now. There's just something uncanny about those shoes, I don't know. They just don't... look right. The fact that Luna just stopped over them like that doesn't really help my worries. Do you think there's something off with those too, Luna?"

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 31, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island Interior

Shorolin, Luna pulses a mauve color in response to your question. Very helpful.

Redd, being able to fly has given you a great deal of appreciation for looking up from time to time. The ceiling of the room is damaged, with vines growing through the cracks. It's probably been like that forever, but it looks like a sharp shock could bring it down. When you glance back into the first room, the ceiling there seems fine. What lies above?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakana

Having been silent for the past few minutes, Lakana scuttles over to those clogs, and she is careful not to touch them as she just observes from a close vantage point. She glances over at Shorolin. "What's the worst that could happen?" She seems cautiously optimistic as she glances over at Redd too.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

"What's the worst it could happen? Just look at the figure that just went through the floor. It was scared of a tiny piece of Sola. It's pretty clear that this creature is not one of Sola's blessed. But what it did bothers me. Why did it try to reach out to Luna regardless? Does it remember being in the light? It's quite possible that whatever that thing was, it may have been something... or someone different before."

He takes a moment to look at the clogs again.

"But I'm drifting off. The fact that these things are basically untouched bothers me. Even Luna seems unsure what they are. It's possible that they're enchanted, maybe even cursed in some way. Maybe those things are even what turned that being into what it is. Am I being overly paranoid? Maybe... no, likely. But I think we should be very cautious. Nobody has been here in ages, so who knows what forces are at work here."

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Redd

"With clogs, there's no limit to the fashion disasters you could unleash. The people who lived here clearly saw the danger of them."

Redd points at the ceiling, a place most people don't typically look. On it were several scenes hewn into the stone. None of the scenes seemed pleasant or hopeful, though age made actually drawing out any specific details difficult. Clearly though, despite his assertion, the clogs weren't depicted in the artwork. It was a mediocre joke, at best, but a good way to get more eyes taking a look upwards.

"I'm not saying we wear the shoes, or do anything with them really, but if caution was something we could afford, we wouldn't be within fifty miles of this island. Suspiciously clean shoes might be the safest thing we handle before our excursion is done."

Hearing Shorolin talk about what the shadows might have been, Redd thinks back to the stories he was told. All the bad children were sent here by their parents. Any that had wings had them cut off so they could never leave (a detail, he suspected, his parents had added or emphasized for his benefit). Shadow men, while alarming, didn't seem as bad as lost, abandoned kids. But if the stories he heard when he was little were somehow true...

He tasted bile. "Whatever we decide, we should do it and keep moving. Our shopping list is pretty long."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was thinking more like geta than klompen, to clarify what the things look like

so, what do you do?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

"True. Let's head down the other path."

He takes moment to look at Luna.

"Oh yeah, I totally forgot. I should be able to make a sort of armor made out of light for one of you with Luna's power. We should probably decide who takes point, I'll give them the armor. And before anyone gets any weird ideas... I really don't think I'm up for that task."

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakana

Lakana rises back to her full height, looking down the path.

"I'll take point," she says looking to Shorolin then. "My suit is pretty heavy-duty, but this armor of yours... I'd like to see just what it does to the Longlegs for research purposes." She's been rather muted so far, but one could almost hear her grin through the helmet as she speaks.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

"Luna, if you may?"

Without ado, the ball of light flies over to Lakana and engulfs both their armor and Shorolin in a dim light.

Shield of Light: Armor +1. You can lend this armor bonus to anyone within Reach. You still get the bonus while lending it out.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island Interior

The corridor is not very long, but it's lined with alcoves. Some of the alcoves have small statues in them, like waist-high wooden people. Some have worn the years more gracefully than others. The eyes on the most intact specimens almost seem to follow your movement...

You reach a point where two archways open up on either side of the hallway. One still has a door that doesn't seem to want to open on a first tentative attempt. The other leads into what looks like a large workshop. From the door you can see workbenches and rusting tools.

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Redd suggests heading for the workshop first. He'd prefer to investigate that before opening the door. There is less chance of them getting ambushed from behind, since they'd presumably hear the door open.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

"Pretty much what I would have said, really. Just keep in mind I haven't figured out how to shoot arrows of light while providing protection to you guys yet."

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakana

Nodding, Lakana heads into the workshop, speaking somewhat to everyone else but mostly to herself "If there's anything useful in here, I'll probably be able to spot it," she says, looking over the workshop, her armor humming now that it has been imbued with that curious light.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island Interior

The workshop is fairly large. Luna's light helps, but the corners are swimming in shadow. It's cool and dry in here, but even so the smaller tools crumble to flakes of rust at a touch. Lakana's armour scrapes against something on the floor as she maneuvers around a table.

It's a skeleton. A very, very old skeleton. No obvious signs of the cause of death. A small, etched wooden globe is held in one of its outstretched hands.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

Shorolin investigates the Skeleton with his usual carefulness, from a safe distance.

Discern Realities: 2d6 9

Question asked: "What should I be on the lookout for?"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakana

Lakana seems more interested in the wooden globe. She doesn't touch it just yet, instead crouching down to get a closer look at it.

Using Let Me See That to ask: "What does this do?" and "What has been done most recently with this, or to this?"

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
With the only two points of interest already being examined, Redd keeps an eye on the door they just entered from, to make sure they aren't being followed.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island Interior

The globe is strangely untouched by the years, like the sandals from the previous room. It bears an ornate series of etchings, parallel lines running over its surface in parallel irregular loops. As Lakana leans in closer, she feels a vibration on her skin. Then, you hear a throat cleared, followed by slow, deliberate speech in a dialect you can hardly decipher before the next word is spoken.

"To whoever finds this, remember me. I am Zild, mother of many, accomplished carving sage, and former war scholar. The light has nearly reached this outpost. The apprentices know not what it is, and as escape is impossible, I have not told them. I... I don't know how far the light will continue to travel, but surely somebody from a place beyond its reach will find this place in time. Please, let it be finite..." The voice catches. "If your people's skies were touched by the light, I am truly sorry. Please, find the source and destroy that abominable engine, if you can. I never thought they'd actually be mad enough to build it. Sola, Vudra, Caba, have mer-"

The voice cuts out, and the globe vibrates briefly, throwing off great quantities of dust into the air.

The globe appears to be a method of recording and playing back speech. The most recent interaction this thing has seen was apparently the skeleton's owner leaving a final message.

Shorolin, the skeleton is oddly intact. You remember once, you found the bones of a gull on the roof of a house back in town. Well, you found some of them, anyway. They were scattered by whatever ate it. The thought of something eating a human corpse is a bit unsettling, but perhaps more unsettling is the realization that maybe nothing survived to do that here before the sheer weight of ages left nothing but bones.

Also, you just caught a glimpse of movement from one of the dim corners of the room that wasn't just the shadows responding to Luna's movement. What do you do?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

That the words recited by the orb troubled Shorolin greatly. Light, causing death and destruction? A more... religiously oriented lantern would call this heresy. But for him, it was 'only' disturbing. He only ever saw light as something good...

"Watch out. Movement in that corner." he called out to his comrades. Deeper thoughts can come later.

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Redd

Caba? Vudra?

Didn't matter. Redd turned towards the corner Shorolin called out. Readying his bow.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakana

Lakana is a bit slower to react, grabbing up the orb and putting it in her pack as she rises back to her full height. Turning to face the corner, she puts herself in the way of anything that might rush at them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island Interior

Luna flits toward the corner, revealing the source of the movement; a roiling mass of fog. Suddenly, it uncoils and leaps towards you all, Luna's light stripping away evaporating chunks as it passes!

Another amorphous mass appears in the doorway, blocking off retreat.

What do you do?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

"Light, protect us!" he yelled out before the advancing fog. Noting the blocked off retreat route as well, he called it out to his comrades as well.

"We're trapped, watch out!"

Bend Lights: 2d6+1 8

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakana

Lakana does what comes naturally and leaps at the fog, standing on her own two legs as she activates the Longlegs system and thin strands of energy lace between her arachnoid limbs. She lashes out with them, trying to rake them through what she thinks is the center of the fog's mass.

Hack and Slash: 2d6+2 13
damage: 1d8 7
Yeah! Okay, so I'm going to add +1 damage to that for a total of 8!

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Redd

Redd looses an arrow.

Volley: 2d6+2 13

Damage: 1d8 6

Readying before the attack apparently pays off, and the arrow finds its mark.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island Interior

The arrow pierces through the advancing thing, tearing away shreds of mist. Then Lakana's suit shreds through it and it pauses mid-air before exploding into a shrieking wind. The second creature(?) begins to move inside the room; it's much larger than the other one, larger than the door it's pouring through. It stops abruptly when what light there is in the room forms a shimmering barrier between it and you. There's a silent moment. Can you have a staredown with something that has no visible eyes?

Other masses start emerging from the floor like ghosts...

What do you do?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shorolin

"I don't know how long that barrier is going to hold, guys. Get ready! Lakana, be careful. I'm going to remove the shield on you so I can fight as well."

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Debris Field Edge

Unnamed Island Interior

The smaller figures begin to press up against the barrier of light surrounding the party. Where they contact it, shreds of mist tear away and evaporate into nothing, but they don't seem to notice or care. Under the sound of Lakana's suit, you can barely make out fragmentary whispers...

• Locked thread