Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Red Dragon sounds interesting. Especially if it can be determined who played what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

I'd like Red Dragon more if they used the original players as voice actors for these characters.

It'd probably be even better if half of it was animated with them at the table including portions of them shooting the poo poo as it tends to happen as such affairs with the other half being the events in game and done as straight as possible

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

the animator dude was really weird about changing modeling/animating programs, even though obviously technology has developed since 2004, when he first started animating.

Looking at some CG in anime, it's not as though they've gotten all that far ahead either.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Command Ant posted:

She looks like Jigglypuff in a wig.

A grown up Powerpuff girl.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Gatchaman Crowds: Insight episode 0 is out on :filez:

15 Minutes with the first bit being a recap and the rest introducing the new stuff for the series such as Rui's new outfit and what seems to be the antagonist for the series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

Dick Jokes Terrorists was really weird. I've never seen such a... self-righteous? Dumb pervy comedy before. Not to mention that it doesn't make a lick of sense in a post-internet world. Or really doesn't make sense anywhere outside of the nightmare reality of anime where 99% of the population are high school and Jr. High students. I'll give it credit for trying to have an interesting concept, but the main thing was that it wasn't that funny to me, largely because I do not find puns or dirty jokes humorous in and of themselves.

It reminds me of 80s comedies in a way, with that old fashioned "PEOPLE WHO DON'T ACT LIKE PERVERTED SLOBS ARE CLEARLY ALL SHELTERED WEIRDOS WHO NUT BECAUSE OF A STIFF BREEZE" as opposed to reality, where people who are prudish are usually just intensely hypocritical and into far more hosed up kinky poo poo

I can believe it if there's a national firewall ala China. But it does stretch disbelief somewhat. Still, it's just goofy enough that I don't care quite so much. Also, the symbol before the end credits is missing two fingers and a ring to make a goatse.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sir Gladu posted:

My vote goes to Lotte. Or Diana. Or spunky new redhead girl.
What I'm getting at is holy poo poo Akko was annoying. LWA was still good, but drat, that girl.

Basically, anyone but Akko should be the main character.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I dunno, Akko was awful in this one, but "look at how much this fat girl loves to eat lol" was pretty grating.

The other two members were relatively interesting though

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just realized Kana Asumi is voice acting two short characters this season who have a complex about their height.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Joukamachi no Dandelion was cute. 11 Main characters and the Primary character being endearingly shy (or at least have the shy type of moe). Also, the suspension of disbelief is paper thin. I'll probably watch it to the end unless I skip an ep or two. Then I'd probably stop caring.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Chaos Dragon...The set up is interesting even if the character designs are a bit fanservicey in different directions, but that's par for the course for Fantasy series. 3 Episode test unless someone know which character goes with which author so the series can get some underlying context to things and potentially become amusing via imagining how it played out at the table.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Chaos Dragon...The set up is interesting even if the character designs are a bit fanservicey in different directions, but that's par for the course for Fantasy series. 3 Episode test unless someone know which character goes with which author so the series can get some underlying context to things and potentially become amusing via imagining how it played out at the table.

Someone found it too.

Left: Original Designs. Right: anime designs
1st: Iduki Kougyoku (Primarily an LN author, also only female)
2nd: Simadoriru (Stripe Pattern doujin circle member and illustrator)
3rd: Urobochi (Madoka, Kamen Rider Gaim, Fate/Zero)
4th: Kiniko Nasu (FSN, Tsukihime)
5th: Ryohgo Narita (Durarara, Baccano)
GM: Makoto Sanda (LN author, also did replays for Double Cross [https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8%89%E7%94%B0%E8%AA%A0])

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

You say that like there would ever be a shortage of things to poo poo on(and from what I've seen he usually backs up his reasoning, so who cares??)

Things like Chaos Dragon, for instance, which was an embarrassing, steaming pile of incompetence.

Not to sound apologist for it, because I agree it was bad, the Transcript starts way after this episode apparently (from 4chan):

quote:

Ibuki and Eiha were already in the Rebel Army from the very beginning and were trying to talk with the Red Dragon and calm it from its insanity. It goes wrong and almost all the Rebel Army unit gets wiped, but Eiha revives because Nill Kamui is odd and its known as the land where the dead come back.

Also, Kouran wasn't evil chinese empire and the situation between Kouran and D'natia was a cold war with Nill Kamui being a buffer state.

Then the parliament of Nill Kamui and both countries decides to create a multi-country unit to solve the problem with the Red Dragon. That's the party.
The first episode is all anime original too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Chaos Dragon is hilariously bad. Perhaps it's because I've had an extra glass of wine, but I was doubled over laughing at how awful it was.

I blame the fact that they're not even into the actual TRPG that they did, but are still in anime original set-up mode. Reading some of the replay, the series has a lot of potential to be good. Instead we get....

Looking at the staff listings, the Director is pretty green and has previously only been directing OPs and EDs via the company, Alice from Japan. I would guess he's to blame for how bad it is.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Healbot posted:

Chaos Dragon and Castle Town Dandelion though are trash and should not be watched by anyone.

3 ep test for both, IMO Chaos Dragon needs to get on the TRPG's rails and the Director needs to stop being clever. Dandelion might be utterly average.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Monmusu delivered on everything it promised.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

madmac posted:

Sora ga Seiyu is cute, and has a lot of VA trivia. Definitely sticking with it.

I really want to know if "Sound more like someone with big boobs would sound" is based on direct experience though.

There's definitely a lot of TNs that this might need if this were from an earlier era. Also, I'm wondering if the break into the Eva OP during the ED is a one time thing or just part of the ED

Edit: It does feel like it's trying to ape Shirobako a little bit, but it's different enough that it isn't a straight rip-off.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 8, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

madmac posted:

There's also a talky bit in the ED directly based on the first episode, so probably they'll be switching up the ED slightly every time, which would be pretty cool.

Sadly it probably wont be subbed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

madmac posted:

It's based on a doujin that predates Shirobako by several years, so suggesting it's a rip-off is a bit of a stretch. I might create a thread for the show, if only because I already know a lot of dumb trivia about the manga despite never really reading it before now.

Yeah, unfortunately.

My mistake. Was not aware of that at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Watch:
JiwaWawa
MonMusu
Gatchaman CROWDS
Non Non Biyori
Sore ga Seiyuu
Working!!!
Wakako-zake

3 Episode Test:
Chaos Dragon
Castle Town Dandelion
Umaru-chan
Overlord
School Live
Snow White
Wakaba*girl
Shimoneta

Sitting in Backlog:
Aoharu x Kikanjuu
Ranpo Kidan
Idolm@ster (not out and need to go back to S1)

Still Watching:
Arslan Senki
Ore Monogatari!
Shokugeki no Souma

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rodyle posted:

"Our smalll island country was invaded by the west while our ally to the east defended its bases and did nothing" oh you don't say Chaos Dragon

That's not even how the TRPG was. The two nations were supposed to be at a standstill with Nil Kamui acting as a neutral buffer state. The game started past all this introductory anime original stuff. NND at least shares the same sentiment that the show is mediocre

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

School-Live had a good start. Yuki is such an upbeat and optimistic girl. :3:

The hammer drops pretty hard in this series apparently :getin:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Neeksy posted:

Okay so School Live lives off of its big twist, but jesus christ the 20 minutes up until that point are a horrible slog of unfunny moeblob bullshit.

It's like if one took the cast of Gochiusa and put them into a Zombie survival horror setting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Space Dandy feels like a show that shouldn't be marathoned and asks you not to. It's the perfect show to rerun and use to fill up time slots since its episodic nature makes it amenable to being watched in whatever order

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The worst one is likely not going to be a show picked up by CR or Funi or any other streaming service

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

madmac posted:

Yeah. It's not a big deal or anything just really obvious in hindsight.

Well it's not like CR or Funi sub the OPs or EDs all the time even if they have recurring unique bits or are character songs. The fact they do it for Sore ga Seiyuu is slightly surprising in that it's being done at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ranpo Kitan (or Trap Boy Detective) is on my watch list now after episode 3. It does feature two shades of :pedo:, one less horrifying than the other. Also, the feminine main character wears a dress.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

rarara!!!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Transphobic violence is a super hosed up and depressing topic, so a bunch of folks got upset at how transgendered people and cross-dressers (or just especially feminine dudes) were described as 'traps' for unsuspecting heterosexual guys. Cue great big horrible flamewar.

It was also sexist because it only applied to feminine looking males while masculine females got reverse trap. Otokonoko would also be semi problematic in that literally translated, it means boy-girl or femme boy.

People who don't care about that stuff still use "trap" though or at least talk longingly about getting into their boy-pussy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Surely there has to be a reason for that lady sighting the gun with her covered eye.

The answer is always anime.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I don't even know who'd be to blame as to why the adaptation of Jitsuwa is so poor relative to the manga. It might be the director just not doing as well, but he's got a few good series under his belt like Servant X Service and the second season of Ika Musume. It could be the creator being less hands on and not really caring about keeping the expressions and the comedy that his manga is best known for. It's just sort of unfortunate.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

a kitten posted:

really for real? I started the manga since the show was getting mediocre reactions, and knowing that some of the knuckleheads might actually progress romantically will probably help my enjoyment.

I'm only about halfway through the second volume and while I don't love it yet, the art has gone from "meh" to silly and fun.

I think the most endemic problem to romcom series is how slow everything is at the beginning and how long it takes for the series to find its stride. Once it gets over the initial character introduction hurdles and the author finds their groove, the story generally gets an uptick in quality. Or at least more interesting things happen beyond the standard hijinks. This may be partially influenced with my recent reading of Kawaisou since the portion the anime adapted is interesting, but it gets better beyond that section due to the secondary cast bouncing off of the main characters better than the mains bounce off of each other.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Does that mean you have no childhood friends?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Lots of people mad over OreImo's ending. Kuroneko was best girl, imo, but people who lined Manami have poo poo taste.

I'm personally waiting for (Maou) Satan in his anime to come back for S2

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Jesus christ Ranpo Kitan is dark. Latest episode featured the rise and fall of Superintendent Kagami. How much of the episode was exaggeration of the Japanese criminal justice system and how much was horrible truth?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Anime and anime fans are cool, actually

Have you been to /a/?

Darth Walrus posted:

So, we're well into the season now. Apart from telepathic alien Donald Trump, The Joys of Bestiality, and Lethal Weapon: Calvin and Hobbes Edition, what're the highlight shows so far?

Nyanpassu: the Series 2
Behind the Voice Actor's Studio
OL's Bar Adventures
The RomCom of Cute and Dumb people
The Moe Survival Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
Japan's Take on Abstinence Only Education
FemmeBoy Detective
Empowered Herb and Weed Princess

Edit: Forgot about Skeleton Dad

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 1, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

When does the "Top anime of 2015" thread come out again? Shimoneta has probably just secured my vote.

It's definitely good. It's not the best, but it's definitely worth the watch

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Doesn't the MC just thinks Poplar is just cute in an adorable way like a normal person would find a cat? In a totally platonic way?

Basically. His co-workers are even a little shocked at just how platonic, yet obsessive his adoration for small things are.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I'm as tall as you, don't worry. Otoh, I'm East Asian so that's pretty tall for my race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Darth Walrus needs to go back(?) to the Chat thread. And stay there until he's learned how to post better.

• Locked thread