Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm not concerned with it being high art, but stuff like that simply stops it being fun. It'd have been more enjoyable if Hibiki declared she'd beat Carol and make her her friend once she'd done so or something, rather than having the same attack of personality she had with Shirabe for instance. Likewise, them finding out that the song was in their heart all along is just incredibly cheesy in the very worst way, while also kind of loving with internal consistency of the setting and while it's possible the show could make it work since it operates on pure cheese (hence why I said I'd probably hate it, not definitely), almost anything else seems like it'd be more enjoyable.

Regardless, we already know there are multiple instances of some gears thanks to the Black Gungnir anyways. The pendants might just be repairable or something too. They only got cracked, not destroyed I think. Also, the reason they didn't give Hibiki a relic in season one or two is probably because she uh...didn't need a relic. She already had one. She did need one once they'd removed the relic, which proves they don't have more of Gungnir, but they may have more of Iichival or Ama no Habikiri.

That said, the mountain rescue in episode one is cheesy as gently caress in all the best ways, and I've rewatched it several times because it's just so god damned fun. That's what I want out of this show.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Honestly, I'd be more annoyed if Hibiki just went and beat Carol up without more provocation.

I'm pretty sure they're going to be entirely disintegrated by the start of ep3, but we'll see I guess. Maybe the power will be inside them, because they'll have to eat the relic dust like s1-2 Hibiki. Insert more bleeding eyes here.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Kanos posted:

They specifically do not have any full relics to make more symphogears from because intact relics are vanishingly rare. The only two full relics they ever had were Nehushtan and Durandal, which they really only even had due to direct manipulation from Fine. There's a reason why Hibiki was left transforming using little fragments of Gungnir buried in her torso that were killing her instead of being given a real relic for two seasons and why they were poo poo-their-pants shocked that Maria had a Gungnir because they legit believed that there was only enough left of Gungnir for one pendant which was lost when Kanade croaked.

Hibiki does not ever like to fight human opponents and she's been very consistent about this, so it's not surprising that she doesn't want to punch a little girl in the face. What's actually eyeroll inducing is Hibiki randomly throwing a shitfit about her father despite apparently being cool with her dad being gone for two seasons to the point of casually saying "Oh, my dad's gone" multiple times before. It's never been a sore spot before but now it is.

I do appreciate them giving an excuse for Genjurou not winning the fight singlehandedly, even if it was a hilariously silly one. Maybe Genjurou needs to look into hiring a second in command.

I don't think she ever mentioned her dad before, the whole story with him was always relegated to the keywords on the website. That's why people took notice when he was brought up in the first episode this season.

e: not to say that they didn't kind of retcon in her tragic backstory last season, just that it's been around since then.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 12, 2015

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's not really a huge bullshit leap to go from "only specific people are attuned to and can summon symphogears" to "there is something special about those people" like inherent SUPER PHONIC GAIN or something that means they can access symphogear powers without needing a crutch to do it. Hibiki's active thievery of Maria's Gungnir suggests that being attuned is a pretty big thing. It would be a bit easier to swallow a "the song was in my heart all along!" twist if you think of the relics themselves as simply an aid like the linker drug.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Just from the opening alone I can tell Micha is going to be very fun.

Man I wish the credits were not in the way.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Those are some big hands for Hibiki to hold.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/07/17/crunchyroll-starts-streaming-symphogear-gx-today

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool, I was surprised no-one picked this up.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Just saw availability, adding to first post!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
That stroganoff song, rofl. Kirika and Shirabe continue to be uninteresting in combat, but I like when they do their silly antics. This plot seems to be a rehash of last seasons, but thought out a lot better, and without having to shoehorn in the villains to be protagonists with their own CDs and et cetera.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

That was one hell of an intermission.

E: That plot twist at the end?

Kylra fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 19, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Now that crunchy has picked this up, I have watched the first 2 minutes of the first episode of this season and it is already exactly as stupid as I had dreamed.

Edit: This is the dumbest 6 minutes of television I have ever watched and I love it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 19, 2015

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Jpop Idols + ridiculous fight scenes continues to be the winningest combination in anime.

EDIT: loving YES.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 19, 2015

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Friendly reminder.

http://i.imgur.com/ebCP21X.png

Also the Beef Stroganoff song was incredible. If you're gonna mood whiplash, you go all the way and snap the neck.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Little thing about the Autoscorer’s names and themes. They have the most themes going for them of any 4 person villain group I have seen.

First off their names. Leiur Darâhim, Phara Suyûf, Garie Tûmân, and Micha Jawkân.

Each of their surnames is based on a suit of the Minor Arcana. Darâhim is Coins, Suyûf is Swords, Tûmân is Cups, and Jawkân is Wands. Leiur and Phara even use their suits as weapons, It is likely that Garie and Micha will as well. Meanwhile the first names are based on the four Arc Angels, Leiur is Uriel, Phara is Raphael, Garie is Gabriel, and Micha is Michael. (Who is stated to be the most powerful fighter of the 4.)

Next each has an Elemental Theme. Leiur is earth, Phara is wind, Garie is water, and Micha is fire. Each even has the color scheme of their element.
Lastly each moves around like they are dancing, Leiur like a Jazz Dancer, Phara like a Flamenco Dancer, and Garie like a ballet dancer. Micha likely moves like a form a dance as well once we see more of her.

Also they are a group of 4 and have 4 themes. So 4's all around.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What about the big huge one who dropped some boats on...was it Chris, in episode 2 and was mentioned in passing this last episode? I'm pretty sure there's even 5 elemental symbols in the first segment of the opening too, with one presumably being wood or steel from the Asian set of original elements.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 21, 2015

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

tsob posted:

What about the big huge one who dropped some boats on...was it Chris, in episode 2 and was mentioned in passing this last episode? I'm pretty sure there's even 5 elemental symbols in the first segment of the opening too, with one presumably being wood or steel from the Asian set of original elements.

I think some folks are saying the fifth symbol goes to Carol, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was another Auto-scorer waiting in the wings.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

The big huge one looked like a shadow clone or projection, likely a power of Leiur(coin-tossing yellow autoscorer)'s. She even mentions "Whoa, that was a little much, time to turn it down a touch" and the giant shadowy projection instantly disappears. I don't think it's another independent autoscorer.

e: Looking at it again, the shadow has the same hairstyle as Leiur, the same ruffled sleeves, and its eye glowed yellow. I'm almost positive it's just a thing she can do, like how Garie can eat memories and how Phara can break weapons.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 21, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

tsob posted:

That's the "younger sister with a well-endowed body" mentioned in Leiur's profile on the website. One of the new keywords says that she lacks the special characteristics that the other autoscorers possess and that she hadn't even been given a name.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

graybook posted:

Friendly reminder.

http://i.imgur.com/ebCP21X.png

Also the Beef Stroganoff song was incredible. If you're gonna mood whiplash, you go all the way and snap the neck.

Whatever is the significance of that link?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
If I recall correctly, at one of the live events, the VAs at one point illustrated... something. I don't know the prompt, unfortunately, but I want to say it was something like "predictions for s3" or something.
The first is Nana's illustration, I believe. I'd have to find some means of watching that specific live event to get the full context, but I did want to post it since they pretty much used Nana's actual illustration.

So basically since we got Samurai Arcanoise and Banana Arcanoise, some folks are anticipating Kanade returning through some method. If I had to guess, it'd be Garie somehow sucking memories out of Tsubasa and Carol alchemy-ing Kanade back in some form.

The third image line is kind of tenuous though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They asked the VAs to make up new Noise. The third is Iguchi's idea of roach noise.

e:

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 23, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh hey, CR caught up this week, I thought they were going to always be a week behind.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Little bit after the credits in ep 4

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Mizuki Nana on M Station this morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atJ4jXDsNJ0

So, how many of you am I gonna see at that concert in February?

And oh god, they made a soy sauce offering at Mam's grave and it was Kikukoman. I am dying.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

lets hang out posted:

Little bit after the credits in ep 4
I told everyone it was gonna be one of two things.

Now it just needs a just as planned moment from Carol later. It's obvious she's harvesting the symphogears for something at least.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 25, 2015

HudsonFromAliens
Jun 14, 2012
Just did a marathon on this series up until this latest episode. Absolutely loving it. I really like the villain designs this season with the dancer motifs and mechanical tendencies (also like the blue gals shark teeth).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HudsonFromAliens posted:

Just did a marathon on this series up until this latest episode. Absolutely loving it. I really like the villain designs this season with the dancer motifs and mechanical tendencies (also like the blue gals shark teeth).

Micha has Shark teeth too.

They also have a Tarot motif, an Angel motif and an Elemental motif. They have a lot of themes going for them.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Micha has Shark teeth too.

They also have a Tarot motif, an Angel motif and an Elemental motif. They have a lot of themes going for them.

The fifth theme is the one they're gonna sing for their character single :rimshot:

...I'll see myself out.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Hi I just watched this entire series over the last three days and it's the silliest and hypest thing I've seen in a while, Nana Mizuki anime own

Now I'm off to find all the music CDs

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The power was inside Hibiki all along.

I'm kind of disappointed if that's all about how that turns out.

Nothing is gonna live up to beef stroganoff at this rate. It usually picks up again towards the end though so I'm not too worried. And they've gone through most of the obligatory appearances now.

But what's with the new shady guy?

Kylra fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 1, 2015

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Hibiki being oddly indecisive notwithstanding, I'm still really enjoying every new episode. G didn't really go bonkers until the last 5 episodes or so, but it just took the anime crazy train for all that time, and this season so far is hitting all the right notes for me. Though, it's always a little bit annoying to me when a show has an enemy who is so absurdly powerful that it never seems like they even have to try to defeat the heroes, but that could be because of plot reasons with Shirabe and Kiri being a tier below the main Symphogear trio in terms of fighting skill. We'll see. Though I have to say I really like Micha and Garie a lot. Very lively villains with a lot of fun facial expressions.

Also, they really could not be making Shirabe x Kiri more of a thing this episode, either.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm just ridiculously happy over TWO DUETS THIS EPISODE.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sylphid posted:

Hibiki being oddly indecisive notwithstanding, I'm still really enjoying every new episode. G didn't really go bonkers until the last 5 episodes or so, but it just took the anime crazy train for all that time, and this season so far is hitting all the right notes for me. Though, it's always a little bit annoying to me when a show has an enemy who is so absurdly powerful that it never seems like they even have to try to defeat the heroes, but that could be because of plot reasons with Shirabe and Kiri being a tier below the main Symphogear trio in terms of fighting skill. We'll see. Though I have to say I really like Micha and Garie a lot. Very lively villains with a lot of fun facial expressions.

Also, they really could not be making Shirabe x Kiri more of a thing this episode, either.

The villains have shown to be able to effortlessly defeat the main line Symphogears so far, so Shirabe and Kirika(who need to shoot up with drugs just to use their Symphogears for more than a couple minutes without falling apart and dying) are basically small fries to them. It would be weird for a bad guy that has been played up as physically the strongest of all of the bad guys to have any trouble with them after Tsubasa and Chris got punked by "lesser" autoscorers.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Kanos posted:

The villains have shown to be able to effortlessly defeat the main line Symphogears so far, so Shirabe and Kirika(who need to shoot up with drugs just to use their Symphogears for more than a couple minutes without falling apart and dying) are basically small fries to them. It would be weird for a bad guy that has been played up as physically the strongest of all of the bad guys to have any trouble with them after Tsubasa and Chris got punked by "lesser" autoscorers.

That's true, but I guess I was just hoping their big team up moment would at least get her worried. Maybe later in the season.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Who knows, maybe the upgraded gears for Shirabe, Kirika and Maria will also sync better eliminating the need for LiNKER. Or maybe Elfnein has some other trick up its sleeve to eliminate those problems.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sylphid posted:

That's true, but I guess I was just hoping their big team up moment would at least get her worried. Maybe later in the season.

To their credit, they at least got to fight Micha. Hibiki didn't even get to do that.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I'm starting this series since people keep telling me it is one heck of a wild ride, I'm about 3 episodes in and so far it's not really all that crazy. Does it pick up soon?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I'm starting this series since people keep telling me it is one heck of a wild ride, I'm about 3 episodes in and so far it's not really all that crazy. Does it pick up soon?

Starting from the first series? Yes, after the angst and training montage and exposition are ready, it straps you in on a rocket to the moon. Or maybe it lets you surf a missile to the moon. Things get kind of weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

vibratingsheep posted:

Starting from the first series? Yes, after the angst and training montage and exposition are ready, it straps you in on a rocket to the moon. Or maybe it lets you surf a missile to the moon. Things get kind of weird.

Yeah from the top, can't wait for the multi-track drifting to start

• Locked thread