Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

SYMPHOGEAR IS BACK WITH A THIRD SEASON. LET'S HOPE IT GETS AS STUPID AS THE FIRST TWO SEASONS.

NEW PV (as of 24 June; thanks UP AND ADAM): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLcpO8S8tvY

:siren: :siren: :siren:
FULL AUDIO FOR OPENING: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=659x2xV0RBY
(thanks again UP AND ADAM)

What the dink happened in the first two seasons

I really suggest just going through and watching the prior episodes because the show is a beautiful mishmash of idiocy and high-octane hot-bloodedness. But if you just want to read about what to know from each season, here goes:

Senki Zesshou Symphogear: Meteoroid-falling, Burning, and Disappear, then...
The world has faced an alien threat in the form of Noise, creatures which cannot be harmed by conventional means. Special weapons were developed - the Symphogears - which are used by young women in order to combat the Noise. Two years before the main part of the story, the idol duo ZweiWing consisting of Tsubasa Kazanari and Kanade Amou came under attack at one of their concerts. Both were Symphogear users, but amidst the combat, in order to save the life of a girl who was gravely wounded, Kanade sings her "Swan Song", which destroys the noise but ends up killing her.
Two years later, the girl whose life was saved, Hibiki Tachibana, ends up being able to manifest the power of Gungnir, the Symphogear wielded by Kanade. She fights alongside Tsubasa, whose Symphogear is Ame no Habakiri, combating the noise and eventually confronting the figure controlling the Noise: an ancient priestess known as Finé. She reveals that she fell in love with God himself and was involved in building the Tower of Babel to reach him, but that God destroyed it and created the moon as a curse, that humanity would not be able to understand each other. Throughout the ages, she has awakened in her descendants in order to further the goal of destroying the moon and freeing humanity from the Curse of Balal. Hibiki and Tsubasa are joined by another Symphogear user, Chris Yukine, in their fight to stop Finé. They are successful, but a superweapon built by Finé does manage to blow off a chunk of the moon.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear G: In the Distance, That Day, When the Star became Music...
Months later, in the midst of her concert with Tsubasa, the idol Maria Cadenzavna Eve reveals herself to be a Symphogear user, but using a black version of Gungnir. She also reveals her affiliation with the organization Finé, claiming to have control over the Noise. She, along with the Symphogear users Kirika Akatsuki and Shirabe Tsukuyomi, and the scientists Dr. Ver and Dr. Nastassja, seek a way to - and successfully manage to - activate a landmass known as the Frontier, controlled by the heart of a creature known as the Nephilim. Upon doing so, though, Dr. Ver reveals his true plan: accelerate the collision of the Moon into the Earth, and repopulate the Earth himself. Hibiki, Tsubasa, and Chris, along with Maria, Kirika, and Shirabe, fight against Dr. Ver. The moon is restabilized in orbit, and the Symphogear users also fight against the Nephilim unleashed by Dr. Ver, eventually pushing it into the dimension of the Noise and defeating it within, also sealing off the dimension in the process, bringing peace to the world.

Until whatever happens to necessitate this season of ridiculous sing-fighting, that is.

P.S. Apparently Dr. Ver's full name is "John Wayne Vercingetorix" and that kicks multiple kinds of rear end.

tl;dr: Girls fight aliens using song-powered weapon systems. It's over the top and stupid and it wouldn't work any other way.

Who the dink am I supposed to care about

(I'll replace these with visuals from GX in time)

Hibiki Tachibana (voiced by Aoi Yuuki)
A bit of a screwball and an airhead, but a girl with determination unlike any other. Wielder of Gungnir, but just punches and kicks stuff to death (as opposed to Kanade's spear when she wielded Gungnir). Instead of a weapon, her Armed Gear is literally the power of holding hands. No, I'm not kidding, watch the second episode of G where they say pretty much just that.

Tsubasa Kazanari (Hey kids! It's Mark Hamill Nana Mizuki!)
Formerly half of the idol duo ZweiWing, now solo idol and wielder of Ame no Habakiri, a Symphogear focusing on close combat using a sword. Stoic as heck.

Chris Yukine (voiced by Ayahi Takagaki)
Wielder of Ichaival, a Symphogear focusing on projectile combat. Best songs, best girl. (s1) Once fought for Finé, but eventually joined the 2nd Division. ZENBU ZENBU ZENBU ZENBU ZENBU

Genjurou Kazanari (voiced by Hideo Ishikawa)
Commander of the Special Disaster Task Force 2nd Division, which manages the Symphogear program and helps protect humankind. The greatest master of kung fu ever, and the truest man to ever live. The strongest character in the entire show I'm not even joking. Pretty much too powerful to wield a Symphogear if the option were open. Basically imagine if Lysandre from Pokemon X/Y became an earthbender.

Shinji Ogawa (voiced by Soichiro Hoshi)
In public, Tsubasa's manager; in private, an employee of the 2nd Division. Actually a ninja. No, I'm not joking. Too great to not be included on this list.

Miku Kohinata (voiced by Yuka Iguchi)
Hibiki's roommate at Lydian Academy, and her 'sunshine'. (s2) Turned into the wielder of Shenshou Jing, a Symphogear made from an ancient mirror relic that created laser attacks.

Maria Cadenzavna Eve (voiced by Yoko Hikasa)
Another famous idol and a former subject of an experiment that tested Symphogear compatibility, which her sister did not survive. Former wielder of the black Gungnir, current wielder of Airgetlám (previously used by her sister).

Kirika Akatsuki (voiced by Ai Kayano)
Now-formerly affiliated with the organization Finé and at one point believed to be the next reincarnation of Finé. Wielder of Igalima, a Symphogear focusing on scythe-based combat.

Shirabe Tsukuyomi (voiced by Yoshino Nanjo)
Now-formerly affiliated with the organization Finé and the actual next reincarnation of Finé, until Finé sacrificed her soul in order for Shirabe to live. Wielder of Shul Shagana, a Symphogear with... um... buzz-saw based combat. Whatever.

What the dink should I expect this season

Expect some dark poo poo, apparently. According to a statement by Nana Mizuki, the story "carries on the spirit of the previous seasons," but "this time it is particularly heavy". She apparently needed to clear her head after reading the scenario and took a full week to write the lyrics of the opening theme (vs. a cited 2 days for Vitalization, the Symphogear G opening). Furthermore, when the scriptwriter finished the job, apparently he fell mysteriously ill for three weeks and the composer took even longer than usual to finish GX's songs.

Hoo boy.

Description from ANN posted:

After the frontier incident, everyone who knew the circumstances believed the Noise were gone and the pain they caused was at an end. But a new conflict approached unseen. In the Yokohama Harbor Oosan-bashi Pier, a new pattern is detected that is similar to the Noise. A combat group wielding mysterious technology stands in the way of Hibiki and the others. When she hears of this enemy of unprecedented strength, Tsubasa hurries back home from England. But the Symphogear users see no opening to counterattack are forced into a difficult fight. In this situation of extreme disparity, the battle for the song that will end the world begins.

When does this air and where can I subject myself to this piece of dink

For catching up, Funimation has the first season subbed, but there doesn't seem to be a similar source for the second season. Maybe it'll get put onto Crunchyroll/Hulu/etc sometime?

Crunchyroll has picked up this season for streaming, though! http://www.crunchyroll.com/symphogear

Seriously this is trash welcome to my ignore list
Yes, it is trash. It's poorly-written, inconsistent, bad with characterization, and a host of other similar issues. Just turn your brain off and join in as we wonder how the plot tries to one-up itself in the next 23 minutes or so.

"Believe in justice and hold a determination to fist?" Japan why are you promoting fisting
This season's bonkers title is a translation of the title to Hibiki's fight song from G, "正義を信じて、握り締めて", if I recall correctly. I'll have to find a source on that again.

graybook fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
We'll see. (s2 spoilers, out of consideration for others) The Shenshou Jing got hit by its own beam, erasing it, though, and I'm not sure if Miku would get it back. I can't imagine she'd get it back unless there are like some other remnants of the relic hiding out there in the world.

Genjurou is the best yes.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

brb replacing OP images with these where applicable

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Sylphid posted:

This show is so delightfully over the top and absurd, it's impossible to hate it. I'll be along for the entire GX ride, no matter what insane plot it decides to go with.

Though, I'm surprised they stuck with keeping Tsubasa's friend dead from the first episode on. Both seasons were bad about characters seemingly being killed, but come back moments later, but they've actually stuck to her being dead.

"Moments later" is probably the trick. Kanade friggin' disintegrated, though, but then again almost nothing is impossible in this show if you sing hard enough.

Demicol posted:

So when does s3 air? Season 2 was much better then the first one so I hope we get something as good or better this time too.

Starts sometime in July for summer season, no hard date yet though, as far as I've seen.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
http://symphogear.blogspot.jp/2015/05/a-look-into-development-of-symphogear.html

A translated 4-page-manga giving a behind-the-scenes look at Satelight, in anticipation of S3!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Justin_Brett posted:

Three chances for Yukari Tamura as a villain, none are taken. What a shame.

I thought she had announced her retirement (despite her roles in Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic and Danna ga Nani s2 this season).

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

tsob posted:

Post your reactions in here as you watch. I doubt anyone will mind, those kind of things are usually fun when dealing with silly shows and it'll keep the thread active for a while as we wait for the new season. I must re-watch the show again before the new season airs myself actually, and grab the comedy OVAs since I still haven't seen those.

Edit: Actually, given that there's only what...24 episodes and some comedy shorts, and we have roughly a month to the new season, I wonder if the thread is up for an impromptu simulwatch of the first two seasons in anticipation of the new one, at a rate of one episode a day?

I'd happily support it.

SO. According to our favorite Symphogear-focused news blog, a 2chan schedule listing leak pegs Symphogear GX for airing on July 4th at 1 AM Japan time.

Maybe something like:
Start S1 the 10th, watch last two episodes on the 20th
Start S2 the 21st, watch last two episodes on the 1st July, comedy OVAs on the 2nd, giving a couple-day breather by the time GX rolls around?

I've never done simulwatch stuff before but I'm personally busy until Wednesday and I'd like to participate in this cavalcade of reliving the crazy. Then again, Symphogear waits for no one, so folks can start whenever they want.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Gearhead posted:

Let's be honest.

If Genjuro could use a relic he would probably shatter continents. Instead, let us remember that he is training Hibiki in the ways of being a complete badass and she is still learning.

Genjurou with a Symphogear could shatter the Curse of Balal with a stern enough look.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

chumbler posted:

Welp I have watched the first two episodes of this show and it is extremely stupid and extremely anime and I am glad that it exists. It's like primal, elemental anime. Vaguely fanservicey with mythological allusions for no real reason, at least one unsubtly gay girl, a plot that makes no goddamned sense, and pointlessly flashy. Keep on keeping on, Symphogear.

Oh, buddy, just you wait for that plot. :unsmigghh:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
For fun, here are a couple of charts made by folks which graph enjoyment level of Symphogear over time:

S1

S2

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

AfroSquirrel posted:

Just go all Midori Days and have another Hibiki growing out of the stump of her arm so that she could hold hands with more people at once.

S3 ending: Hibiki uses the Frontier to reconjure the ghost hand and holds the hand of EVERYONE IN THE WORLD AT ONCE.

"Extermination" will be the final attack name following the pattern set forth. Extermination... of loneliness. :3:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

chumbler posted:

Some good Engrish in this here show.

Edit: The show just acknowledged that battle heels are stupid and got rid of them. I would never have expected this from anime.

And more quality when you realize mystery lady somehow lost the one-piece or whatever she was wearing in that opening scene. Previous quality was indicated in episode... 3? when Tsubasa and Ogawa-san are walking along the hall and it looks like Tsubasa is just a lovely walk cycle gif on a lazily moving background.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Gearhead posted:

Can a show where everyone involved is completely aware they are making something horribly silly but generally fun to watch be classified as truly bad?

Yes.

Because some people would call Cross Ange "generally fun to watch".

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Addin' it to the OP, thanks mate

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

poo poo yeah buddy

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

RangerKarl posted:

I hope Chris still does heartshots in her henshin sequence.

(spoilered for consideration: S2)

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Oh god, should I just watch subless then come back for subs later?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

lets hang out posted:

CR picked up GX but the way they phrased it makes it sound like they won't be simulcasting so you'll be waiting a few months
Source for this:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/07/04-1/crunchyroll-to-stream-gatchaman-crowds-insight-anime-and-more

I'm seriously itching to go ahead and watch the first episode but I promised I'd watch at the same time as one of my buddies. I'm ridiculously hype right now.

Edit, just watched, jesus christ I wept at that intro. That was one heck of a hyperconcentrated Symphogear experience.

graybook fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 5, 2015

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Gyra_Solune posted:

Autoscorer people are very obviously minor Arcana themed. Green one has a sword, yellow one throws coins, allegedly red uses a rod (wand as you could call it), blue...uh, isn't directly using anything but it seems she does stuff by being all kissy and seductive and I guess cup fits that theme for one interpretation of it

also we have our explanation for why genjurou does not in fact punch the world to save the day: 'but the command central would be clueless without you!!!' also i guess they're bringing the noise back somehow

Arcanoise, keeping with the theme, as was said.

Man I do wish Genjurou could get out and do more kung fu. :(

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Just saw availability, adding to first post!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Friendly reminder.

http://i.imgur.com/ebCP21X.png

Also the Beef Stroganoff song was incredible. If you're gonna mood whiplash, you go all the way and snap the neck.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

tsob posted:

What about the big huge one who dropped some boats on...was it Chris, in episode 2 and was mentioned in passing this last episode? I'm pretty sure there's even 5 elemental symbols in the first segment of the opening too, with one presumably being wood or steel from the Asian set of original elements.

I think some folks are saying the fifth symbol goes to Carol, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was another Auto-scorer waiting in the wings.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
If I recall correctly, at one of the live events, the VAs at one point illustrated... something. I don't know the prompt, unfortunately, but I want to say it was something like "predictions for s3" or something.
The first is Nana's illustration, I believe. I'd have to find some means of watching that specific live event to get the full context, but I did want to post it since they pretty much used Nana's actual illustration.

So basically since we got Samurai Arcanoise and Banana Arcanoise, some folks are anticipating Kanade returning through some method. If I had to guess, it'd be Garie somehow sucking memories out of Tsubasa and Carol alchemy-ing Kanade back in some form.

The third image line is kind of tenuous though.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm just ridiculously happy over TWO DUETS THIS EPISODE.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
So I got curious about the characters inscribed on Dainsleif in the opening animation and wondered how accurate the writing was.

I used this source for futharks against which to compare characters: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/runic.htm

Comparing against all six futharks, the two best results were from the Younger Gothenburg Futhark and the Elder Futhark.

Respectively, the 38-character sequence I transcribed and checked came out as such:
(separated out every 5 characters or so for readability)

Younger Gothenburg:
code:
?VKRR NBVD? HUGKA ?ITAI NIDAI N?L?F ?TLIA UPU
Elder:
code:
?WKRZ NBWD? HUGKA ?ETAI NIDAI N?LÏF ÏTLEA OPO
Translating this would be beyond me, but you can see that from the twenty-third to the thirtieth characters, the sequence is slightly recognizable. Factoring in that the unrecognized character in the subsequence looks like an angular capital S, this small piece could be read "DAINSLEIF", so there's at least some kind of effort put in and not just a sequence of gibberish mostly-runes.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Those graphs are the most accurate thing since that samflam one

So how far are you now?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Also speculation: Elfnein's remembrance of Carol's memories last episode coupled with the knowledge that memories are used up to fuel their alchemical powers seems to point to Elfnein being created by a potentially more innocent Carol in order to safeguard the memories of her childhood.

edit: other stuff:

During her second transform sequence, Hibiki is shown in the pose she's in in the season logo.

And I am mad hype about the full versions of the songs we've been hearing. Holy crap.

graybook fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 8, 2015

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

I saw this version:

Edit: Also, I believe I've heard that there will be a slight delay to this week's episode. It's apparently also got (spoilered just in case) a LOT of recorded screaming from Nana. Prepare for possible despair.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Gearhead posted:

I'm having trouble imagining what could make everyone go 'You have gone TOO FAR!' considering the crazy poo poo that has happened in this franchise BEFORE.

If I could make one nightmare come true it would be one of the Autoscorers sucking all memories of Kanade out of Tsubasa and burning them away forever to fuel an attack on her.

Jesus Christ please let me be wrong. I probably will be but I will just be floored if that happens.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Gearhead posted:

The thing I'm worried about is: The Autoscorers would need upgrades at this point, because we've seen that the upgraded Gears are now able to actually overcome their bullshit.

The end of 6 showed some changes at alchemy central, so I figure that'll happen. Or there'll be like a tactical change or something.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I want more screentime for Leiur since we've had a lot of Garie+Micha now.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm so glad I'm doing a simulwatch with friends. We just finished the latest and kind of collectively shat our pants at those last moments before the ED rolled.

What an episode. I'm glad I couldn't see some of the stuff coming, since the whole "auto-scorer shows up, Symphogear user(s) activate Ignite Module and destroy them" thing was starting to feel too rote.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Kanos posted:

I'm really hoping that all this hemming and hawing with Hibiki has some payout, because the original trio haven't been shining examples of character this season so far. Maria's gotten the lion's share of actual character development in GX and has been a good character because of it.

I forget the source, but I think it was said that GX is to be thought of as a continuation of G; where G showed weakness in the FIS trio, GX gives them an opportunity to display strength. With that mindset, it kinda makes sense why the original three aren't getting as much development.

Then again, if they wanted that to be the aim, GX should've aired soonish after G in order to feel like a continuation of the prior season rather than a season of its own (if that makes any sense).

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Kanos posted:

Tsubasa had her (hilariously insane) arc of getting over Kanade's death in S1 and her little senpai mini-arc thing with Chris in S2. Hibiki had her entire relic fusion cancer/berserker mode thing across both S1 and S2.

I don't actually object to characters not having full plot arcs every season, though, because in a single cour show you literally don't have enough time for 6+ characters to have satisfying arcs AND have a major overriding save-the-world arc as well. In fact, I'd rather a character not have a plot arc at all(beyond "is there to help other people with their plot arcs") then to have a half-assed one, which is why I commented on Chris's weird "I'm a bad senpai" self-loathing thing she's mentioned once or twice.

I feel like her self-loathing bit was also put in there as development for Kirika+Shirabe, actually - at least, the super-quick flashback of it in episode 8 was included in their little "everyone cares about us!" montage.
But I feel like their being included as an inseparable unit almost hurts their development as individual characters, in that the show has to kind of jam their development in at the same time. I wish there had been time available to focus on each of the two in turn rather than the super-quick fight, make up, power up, Wheel Of Morality microarc we got in episode 8.

Chris-wise, I expect to see some amount of focus on her in episode 10 given that Leiur is the last Autoscorer left, and how they're combat-paired in the OP. I suspect, though, that there will be split focus in order to remind us viewers of Hibiki's arc this season as well.

But then again, with the Last Action Hero/Man of Truth back in the mix, who knows what the hell's going to happen anymore (aside from the Chateau de Tiffauges likely being activated somehow).

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Nice. Now if only they/someone could get G for the sake of being able to stream the entire series legally.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Kylra posted:

Also post-credits: WILL NO ONE STAY DEAD?

Kanade. I hope.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Sakurazuka posted:

Carol pulls off her mask at the end to reveal Kanade 'it was me Tsubasa, it was me all along!'
In the background Hibiki goes 'aww, son of a b-'

:vince:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Finally got to groupwatch the last two episodes, and boy what a doozy.

Loved DMJii Crab-Beyblade and Carol getting a Liger Zero.

Very surprised that they broke from the prior two instances and used Glorious Break instead of Exterminate for the final attack. I gotta say, though, the way it all cuts to the vocals during the attack card gives me chills.

Please give us another season of this horrible stupid trainwreck ride. I'm so curious about those sequel hooks.

graybook fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 28, 2015

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I feel like Tsubasa's song this season was my favorite (though Carol's is pretty dang great too). For some reason the lyrics seemed most relevant to her character development this season, which did it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Jesus christ I'm disappointed that I missed all this gold discussion.

I saw a guy at Anime Boston with a Symphogear Live 2016 shirt on and briefly fanboyed at him, so I hope to be in his shoes for a future Live. (I can dream.)

Still waiting on a translation to exist for the last Zesshoushinai episode, but they'd been entertaining as ever.

• Locked thread