Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
What do you call your animal masters? I have like six that need names and I need some ~inspiration~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

A good name for a cat would be gently caress You

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

I though I was all cool giving my pets old people names (Mabel, Frank and Albert) but now I realize i'm the opposite.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
My schnauzers were originally Fancy and Rudy, but because of their German heritage I called them Klink and Schultz

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
This is my pet, "*guttural screaming*"

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Telindisarientuskintivelaorian.

It's pronounced "Tuggles" you swine.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Ichabod, or Ichy.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I named my cat Jade because I am one of the biggest fans ever of the video game "Beyond Good and Evil".

There is no other significance to the name beyond that.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I always subscribe to the theory you should pick a name that has an easy/recognizable pair in case you get another pet.

For example: My dog is Linus and if we ever get another, it'll be a female named Lucy.

Also, here's a host of poorly chosen dog names for good dogs (stolen from the Post Dogges thread).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Db6JZHh0SA

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

We usually name strays based on the street or area they were picked up, which is all nice and good when they get called Cooper and Duncan, but funnier when they're called Freeway or Dump.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
We have 5 cats:

1) Joey: We saw him when he was 8 weeks old at the shelter and he latched on me immediately. He is my boy :) His name was "Eyebrow" at the shelter. My husband and I thought it was a ridiculous name, and sounded like a mobster. My husband said he needed to have a name that fit the mobster motif... so we named him Joey "The Eyebrow" Lorenzo. funny thing is, he grew into a big hulking monster of a cat, and LOVES Italian food. Go figure! (3 years old.)

2) Kiki: She was at the same shelter we got Joey at, and we brought them home the same day. She bonded with my husband as soon as they met... we were not leaving without her :) She sings. A lot. All the time. Very slender ladycat, and is quite nimble. There was a singer named Kiki I guess in the UK that my husband adored as a younger man...and so Kiki the Acrocat got her name. (3 years old)

3) Finbarr: He is another shelter kitty, looks like he is a good bit Maine Coon or a very hairy domestic longhair breed. He has the big feet, and tufts etc...so we are thinking he may be more of a Coon Mix than anything else. Because of this we thought he needed a better name than Claude (I hated that shelter name ). So, he got the Scandinavian name of Finbarr. However, he answers to the name of Babycat too :) (11 months old)

4) Pixie: A Pixie Bob. She was a birthday present for me when she was 3 months old and we named her Elise. However, we ended up just calling her Pixie, then Pix. She is also know as the Queen of Grump, and Lady Bitchalot :Keeper of the Iron Paw (11 years old)

5) Newton: A fat orange and white behemoth of a cat. We knew he was a Newton when we first saw him...it just fit perfectly. Also, we can make fun of him by poking his belly and calling him names like Pig Newton, Gravity Challenged Cat, and Captain Major Chunks the First of his Name. (11 years old)

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 3, 2015

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
When I had a pet rooster we named him Rocket it was a good name for a rooster I think (:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

My cats name is Garbage because that is where I found him.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
My family's cats have been named Dewdrop, Little Bit, Spike, Cujo, Chrissy, Fizgik, Claudio, Caliban and Kiska.

Birds have been Screech, Larry Bird, Chiquita, Tequila, Cocoa, Pegleg, Heli (short for helicopter, he and Pegleg were two paralyzed budgies), Eriza and Judah.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 10, 2015

mcbagpipes
Apr 17, 2010
My first dog was named Miss Blueberry. I got her as a pup from my brother when his female Lab had a litter and my nieces named all the pups. When I registered her I kept the full name, however I shortened it to Blue, as wandering through the dog park calling 'Come hither Miss Blueberry' seemed a little offside.

My wife and I got another black lab about 3 years back and it seemed fitting to stick with the name thing, so now we had Miss Redberry (who in all honesty goes by Red).

About 3 weeks ago we found an abandoned kitten in a dumpster and my wife brought it home. He was pretty small (the vet figured about 4-5 weeks old). He got named Pitou Vert Baie (French Acadian slang for Dog Green Berry).

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
Dunno whatever comes to mind at the time

Two dogs named otto and axle

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My dog's name is Lukas.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
I've only named one of my pets myself. I've got a massive goldfish named Fimmion, after a character from Elder Scrolls who is always hungry and trades his magic pants for sweet rolls. It's pretty fitting, since he's always begging for me to feed him.

I also have a cat named CeCe Princess Fluffytail Furpaws Moomoo Monchego Sanderson which was named by my ex who thought that the longer a pet's name, the more ~*purebred and fancy*~ it is.

My boyfriend named my Albino plecostomus ("sucker fish") Courtney Love, which I find hilarious especially considering it's a male.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
When we fostered kittens we went with bullshit names of whatever popped into our head re: their defining characteristics. As a result we had:

- Chosen (because he was on hold)
- Xbox (white with brown patches shaped like a triangle and X)
- Chuck (he spewed in the car - or so we thought)
- Greybeard (black with a white tuft under his chin - also the actual spewer which he repeated on the way back to the shelter)
- Decoy Junior (kitten version of our black cat)
- Hoagie (chubby, fat little longhaired kitten, 100% focused on food and Hoagie just stuck)
- Whiskey Tango (rear end in a top hat horrible kitten that was not part of the litter and picked fights and was scrawny with hosed whiskers from a nutrient deficiency and a bad attitude)
- Boston (Ginger cat with socks - Red Sox)
- Button (kept calling her a cute wee button and Button stuck)

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
so this kitten just *showed up* in my yard one night. Tiny, tiny, tiny. Guessed she was just weaned and abandoned by Mama, or ???

She imprinted on me instantly. SUper friendly to people whether she knows them or not.

She has a multicolored head and an all-white body with a single round black spot on her left side.

We call her "Spot."

Spot had a kitten b/c I didn't realize cattes were sexually mature at ~ 6 months old. Oops!

New kitten is a biter, but also quite friendly, tho not as friendly as Spot.

Coloring is black and white and an all-white body with two black spots on her side.

We call her "Domino."

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
My dad tried to name a cat "Sewage"

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

My cat's name is Barbara.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My snake and gecko are named after Capcom games that I don't even like because my housemate insisted on that being the naming convention for them, so they are called Mega Man 2 and Resident Evil 4. Meg and Resi for short.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Our current foster kittens are Brady, Indiana (she came prenamed and is already in the system), and then the group we got together: Littlefinger, Varys, Ygritte, Crow, and Raven. The last three are all fluffy black nutballs.

Our snakes are Luna, Nod, Nemesis, Wasp, Bee, Drac, Topaz, V, Weapon Brown, Peppermint Patty, Tuco, Saul Goodman, Heseinberg, Pinkman, and Jane.

Do you really want me to list off the tortoises? Fine, just the adult leopards: Jamoca, Chip, 25, Chewy, Zaire, Portal (came from Portal AZ, NOT after the videogame) and our Russian Oval.

If you want the adult cats it'll take me a while.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
I was the main caretaker for a husky mix for a couple years. Her name was Nakoma... but I mostly called her "sweetheart" and "fluffbutt".

All my friends' pets have people names; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Most of the critters I work with get called scootymuffin, short stack or buddy.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dogs I've had throughout the years:

Miniature Poodle: Maximilian
Toy Poodle: Penelope
Chihuahua: Charles
Miniature Pinscher: Katrina
Toy Yorkshire Terrier: Leonidas

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

I think Pajamas would be a fine name for a cat. I like the names Toast, Hugo, and Clio for dogs. If I had rats, I would get four lady rats and name them after lady detectives: Tuppence, Tuesday, Trixie, and Theolinda. (I currently have a large ginger cat named Kismet and a corgi named Ivan.)

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay
I'm all for people names in theory, but they always devolve into silly, childish nicknames. For example, my cat is named Percy, but more often we just call him You Disgusting Sack of poo poo.

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay
Although actually if you research former rulers of Eastern European countries you'll find a pet-name goldmine. The first king of Latvia was named Mindaugas, and it only gets more majestic from there.

titties
May 10, 2012

Vigilante Banana posted:

I'm all for people names in theory, but they always devolve into silly, childish nicknames. For example, my cat is named Percy, but more often we just call him You Disgusting Sack of poo poo.

Agreed, my cat Barbara is much more often referred to as Who's A Fat Fuckin' Baby So Fat

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

When I first brought my kitten home, I had wanted to name him Icarus. He immediately crawled into my black (he's a black cat) messenger bag and passed out. My room mates and I tore the house apart looking for him. Ended up finding him on accident when I went to grab my lap top out of said bag. Decided it would be best to name him after a magician for his disappearing act. He became David "Icarus" Blaine, but I just call him Dib.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

My sister took in a ginger kitten in 2001 or so and named him Icarus. She went to get him neutered and it turned out he was a she, so she's gone by Icky ever since. She was also always kinda poo poo at cleaning herself. She lives with our parents these days and apparently is better at self grooming these days but is also very expensive and has thyroid problems.

Other pets names in the family:
Sandwich the turtle
Karl Barx the collie/Springer spaniel mix
MacDuff the west highland terrier
Fluffy Bum the cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

I like this one

• Locked thread