Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThrawnyBoy
May 16, 2014
Computer will not boot with new video card installed: I recently decided to upgrade from my old Radeon HD 4850 to a Radeon R7 260X video card, and the computer will not boot. I get a single LED flash from the mobo and the fan on the heat sink twitches when I activate the power button, but that's it.

Attempted fixes: I have successfully booted the computer with no video card, and successfully reinstalled the old Radeon HD 4850. In fact, I'm posting from the very computer with the old video card installed right now and it is running the same as it always has.

Recent changes: About a month ago I successfully replaced the old power supply with a slightly larger 600W PSU. I have now attempted to replace the old Radeon HD 4850 video card with a Radeon R7 260x video card.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit.

System specs:
- CPU: i3-340, 3.06 GHz dual core
- Mobo: Unknown, was replaced professionally years ago after lightning strike damage.
- PSU: 600W OCZ. A couple years old, but only used for about a month.
- RAM: 2x2GB 1333 MHz Patriot only running at 1066 MHz because I haven't changed the BIOS setting for timing and voltages and that's what it defaults to.
- HDD: 500 GB, internal, I don't remember the model.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I have never ordered a piece of hardware and had it be dead on arrival. Is that what I'm dealing with here? The only other thing I can think of is that my PSU isn't beefy enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Make sure you have PCI-E power cable plugged in to you GPU securely, and if possible try it in another computer. Also try reinstalling your old PSU. If none of those work you may have a DOA card. You'll have to initiate a RMA from where you bought it.

Also get rid of that piece of poo poo power supply and get (at the very least) an EVGA 500w Bronze+.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Some OCZ power supplies are decent so that one may be, post the full model for more information.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
Some old motherboards will not work properly with PCIe 3.0 video cards. See if there is a BIOS update available for your motherboard and apply it if there is.

• Locked thread