Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

xzzy posted:

The winters are super tame these days. Climate change in full effect!

Eh, while it hasn't gotten Hoth cold that often the past few years, this year it seemed to last really long, well into April. And now it's June and it's still 50 degrees out :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Did you guys not live through the last two Chicago winters or are you trolling

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

bewbies posted:

THIS THOUGH

is unironically one of the best things that exists

what the hell is this garbage

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

mastershakeman posted:

chicago winters arent bad

just dont think about the time hundreds of people were stuck on LSD in the blizzard

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah I'm confused. The last two winters across the North East are among the harshest winters ever. February 2015 was the coldest month in the history of Toronto, I assumed it was equally nasty across the region.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

joeburz posted:

chicago winters arent bad

just dont think about the time hundreds of people were stuck on LSD in the blizzard

I actually rode my bike to north ave beach during that storm to see the supposed 30 foot waves. When I got there I realized I couldn't see anything through the snow and that I was a total idiot

Edit: yeah Feb 2015 was all time coldest in Chicago, plus had a 20" snow day on Superbowl day. Also some subzero January days. 2014 had that January with three straight days that didn't hit 0. I know that's nothing compared to Canada but still

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

xzzy posted:

The winters are super tame these days. Climate change in full effect!

:captainpop:

This is the hottest take I've seen in awhile.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

I actually rode my bike to north ave beach during that storm to see the supposed 30 foot waves. When I got there I realized I couldn't see anything through the snow and that I was a total idiot

Edit: yeah Feb 2015 was all time coldest in Chicago, plus had a 20" snow day on Superbowl day. Also some subzero January days. 2014 had that January with three straight days that didn't hit 0. I know that's nothing compared to Canada but still

But it was like three days of bitter cold and then it was over.

You can complain about "bad winters" when it drops below 20F in October and stays that way until March.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Both cities primarily use the imperial system and therefore both deserve to lose.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

JoelJoel posted:

Both cities primarily use the imperial system and therefore both deserve to lose.

A hockey rink is measured in feet not meters

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

best part about deep dish is the abundance of tomato sauce imo

go blackbolts! i mean -- go lighthawks!!!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
poo poo you guys I just realized if the Lightning had won the cup last year Salo would have gotten a ring and now I'm sad :smith:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Acquilae posted:

Well time to consider selling a kidney if I want to afford finals tickets at the United Center this time.

Hey, cheer up - Chicago could drop the first three games in blowouts and Kane and Toews could both suffer season ending injuries and you might be able to get good deals for game 4. v:shobon:v

tofes posted:

You're not helping.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

HookShot posted:

poo poo you guys I just realized if the Lightning had won the cup last year Salo would have gotten a ring and now I'm sad :smith:

*Salo tries to put ring on, all of his fingers break*

"Oh no not again"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

tofes posted:

*Salo tries to put ring on, all of his fingers break*

"Oh no not again"

You just know he'd drop the cup on his head while skating around with it and get a concussion.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

HookShot posted:

You just know he'd drop the cup on his head while skating around with it and get a concussion.

The snake that had been peacefully living inside the cup for all these years will choose that moment to lunge out and bite him.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

But it was like three days of bitter cold and then it was over.

You can complain about "bad winters" when it drops below 20F in October and stays that way until March.

February 2015 tied the 140-year record for the coldest February in Chicago ever. The average high temperature for December through March of 2013-2014 was 27º F (-3º C), which was the 3rd coldest Winter on record. The pipes in our old building froze and burst twice, flooding our apartment both times. The past two Winters here have been terrible.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

HookShot posted:

His knees and shoulders would just shatter trying to lift it over his head

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

tofes posted:

You're happy about your metrology being on par with French Canada circa 1875? And in any case, everyone knows ice freezes in metric.

Tampa going to win and get better; Chicago going to cap hell 2.0. A Dynasty will be established, but in Florida. Hail.. Jesus?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Warm water freezes faster than cold, so if you think about it the South is more hockey than anywhere else.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

JoelJoel posted:

You're happy about your metrology being on par with French Canada circa 1875? And in any case, everyone knows ice freezes in metric.

Tampa going to win and get better; Chicago going to cap hell 2.0. A Dynasty will be established, but in Florida. Hail.. Jesus?

So if the hawks win this year are they a modern dynasty?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

RC Cola posted:

So if the hawks win this year are they a modern dynasty?

Nah, you need 3 in 5. Tampa will do 3 in 5.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

JoelJoel posted:

no take backsies!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

JoelJoel posted:

So we have to win two of 2015, 2016, and 2017? poo poo

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

RC Cola posted:

So we have to win two of 2015, 2016, and 2017? poo poo

Yes.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Uhhh didn't Chicago win 2010 and 2013? So 2015 would be three in five?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

HookShot posted:

Uhhh didn't Chicago win 2010 and 2013? So 2015 would be three in five?

Check your math again

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

RC Cola posted:

Check your math again

whatever there's a zero and a five that counts as five years :colbert:

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Does Mattias Öhlund get a ring or his name on the cup?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

MRLOLAST posted:

Does Mattias Öhlund get a ring or his name on the cup?

It takes 41 regular season games or one Stanley Cup finals game to get your name on the cup. Teams can petition in some cases for players who just miss the cut, but considering Ohlund hasn't played an NHL game in 3 years I don't think that will be happening.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

It takes 41 regular season games or one Stanley Cup finals game to get your name on the cup. Teams can petition in some cases for players who just miss the cut, but considering Ohlund hasn't played an NHL game in 3 years I don't think that will be happening.

I guess he still watches a lot of home games from the press box, so maybe he has a good relationship with the org still and can get a pity ring. go matti

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

bewbies posted:

THIS THOUGH

is unironically one of the best things that exists

no really

what the gently caress is this

i'm getting mad just looking at it

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbyhZ8n-8kk

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but god drat, it's kind of touching for a group of guys that generally get overlooked at this time of year.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

whatis posted:

no really

what the gently caress is this

i'm getting mad just looking at it

http://website.alinearestaurant.com/

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I feel like the hockey is going to be awesome this final since both teams play an exciting style but I'm not that excited about the storylines. Chicago winning again would be whatever and Tampa is mostly full of young guys plus it's not their first franchise Cup either if they win.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
Human checkerboard Barry Melrose in the house.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Ginette Reno posted:

I feel like the hockey is going to be awesome this final since both teams play an exciting style but I'm not that excited about the storylines. Chicago winning again would be whatever and Tampa is mostly full of young guys plus it's not their first franchise Cup either if they win.

Just give me 7 double OT games and I'm happy with whoever wins it. With Kane and Kuch/Stamkos scoring a bunch of sweet goals.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Rahm responded to Tampa's ticket policy:

Rahm Emanuel posted:

Chicago Blackhawks supporters are known to be among the best in the NHL, and certainly we wish the Tampa Bay Lightning management would welcome Chicago fans to their city and not be afraid to let them into their arena for the Stanley Cup finals. As Mayor of Chicago, I welcome Tampa fans –and hockey fans from around the country – to fly to Chicago and enjoy our world class hotels, restaurants, cultural attractions, and then go watch Stanley Cup hockey in Chicago. It doesn’t get better than that.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I think I'm actually pulling for the Lightning here. I still have a soft spot for Callahan and Boyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm glad Rahm is doing important things like sniping sports teams in the brief period he's actually a mayor and not an inmate.

• Locked thread