Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah this should be a good series from a hockey perspective, and in that regard I'm excited. Sadly it's the first time in the while there's no clear cut 'villain' team, so I find myself caring a bit less than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Even worse, both those places are in the United States. *shudder*

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Something something, Parrotheads.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Did you guys not live through the last two Chicago winters or are you trolling

Yeah I'm confused. The last two winters across the North East are among the harshest winters ever. February 2015 was the coldest month in the history of Toronto, I assumed it was equally nasty across the region.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

MRLOLAST posted:

Does Mattias Öhlund get a ring or his name on the cup?

It takes 41 regular season games or one Stanley Cup finals game to get your name on the cup. Teams can petition in some cases for players who just miss the cut, but considering Ohlund hasn't played an NHL game in 3 years I don't think that will be happening.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I really hope Bickell stays out again in game 2. The Hossa/Versteeg/Richards line played really well last night.

What idiot team is going to let the Hawks off the hook and trade a 2nd round pick and a prospect for Bickell? My money is on the Oilers, with the Caps as a dark horse.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

One of the "big body" teams might have interest. Hope Bickell likes California.

I'd say that Benning would make a play for him too if he had any cap space or draft picks to plunder,

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Please Sweeney, no. No Sweeney. No.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Hossa's gonna be the next 40+ skater who just keeps going and no one can figure out how.

Actually it would surprise me if he did considering he makes $1,000,000 a year for the last four seasons of his contract. He certainly has the talent and ability to evolve into a regular checker if his offence dries up, and he's not reliant on the physical side of things to be effective. However, I can't imagine he'd be particularly interested in earning base salary from 2017/18 onwards. He has at least two Stanley Cups, over 1000 games and 1000 points and won't be winning any personal awards from here on out. The only thing he has left to play for is an Olympic Gold medal, and I very much doubt Slovakia will be doing that any time soon. His spot in the HHoF is all but assured, what reason does he have to keep going?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Well, I would imagine that someone who has dedicated their life to the sport would want to continue playing as long as possible and it's probably not about getting sweet achievements like on my xbox.

You get injuries and break down and stuff. I'm sure he loves the sport as much as the next NHLer, bur c'mon he's only human. There is a big difference between making $7.6M a year to play a sport and making $1M to do the same thing. When that contract was signed there was literally zero expectations that Hossa would play those backdiving years. He has nothing left to win, he has no reason to keep playing for so little (comparatively) unless he really needs the money.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah, all contracts over 8 years are subject to recapture penalties if at any point in them the player retires before they are completed. See Kovalchuk, Ilya. I believe the Devils have a cap penalty for him until 2025 or so.

So yeah, the Hawks are badly on the hook should Hossa retire early. The penalty is higher for the more 'benefit' a team gets (i.e. the more years a team has where the cap hit is lower than the real salary). By the end of next season Hossa will have received the bulk of his contract, so the penalty is massive.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Blackhawks will just schlep Hossa to the Panthers if things start to look bad, it's no big deal.

They'll still get the recapture penalties if he retires.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Even if he's not on the team?

loving professional sports contracts, how do they work?

Yup, teams split the penalty if they're traded proportional to the amount of benefit each one received. The Canucks and Panthers will both be penalized when Luongo inevitably retires early, with the Canucks getting the larger cap hit as they had several years where Luongo made $10M on a $5.33M cap hit.

Brian Burke is a dick.

LeBrun from a few years ago posted:

To wit: let’s say the Canucks trade Luongo soon. Luongo has played two years of his 12-year contract, the Canucks paying him $16.716 million in salary but only absorbing a $5.33 million cap hit each year. That’s a cap savings of $6.056 million over two years so far for Vancouver. Under this new rule, should the Canucks trade him now and he retires with three years left on his contract, Vancouver would be charged that $6.056 million in cap savings over the final three years left on his deal from 2019 to 2022. However, let’s say for argument’s sake Luongo gets traded to Toronto, the Maple Leafs also would be subject to cap penalties if Luongo retires before the end of his deal.
To wit, part 2: If Luongo were to play the next seven years of his deal in Toronto before retiring, the Leafs would be paying him $43.666 million in salary but only counting $37.31 million against the cap over those seven years, a cap savings of $6.356 million. So if Luongo retires with three years left on his deal (because his salary falls to $1.618 million in the 10th year and then $1 million in the last two years of the deal), the Leafs would get charged that $6.356 million on their cap spread evenly over the remaining three years of his deal.

If Hossa retires after the 2016/17 season the Hawks would have paid him $59.3M but only had a cap hit of $42.2M so there would be a $17.1M benefit. As such they'd be required to pay the difference ($17.1M) over the remaining 4 years for a cap penalty of $4.275. Those numbers may not be 100% accurate as there was the lockout year and I'm not sure how things shakeout there.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 5, 2015

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This has been an excellent series so far. Five more games of this please.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

shyduck posted:

I'd like to point out at this time that game 4 is on NBCSN, because NBC literally would rather have a rerun of American Ninja Warrior from like a loving week.

They do it in a vain attempt to get people to watch NBCSN. If the finals are a sweep one year the cup won't even be awarded on NBC. Way to go NHL.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

GDT

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725238

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

This is funny because Chicago literally can't afford him now.

We will pay them to take him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

the finals have changed me. but although quick to anger, i remain also easy to fall into love

its hosed that i remain the only lightning poster in this place and im not even getting some sort of endorsement deal

You would, except MarioinBlack shows up from time to time and Pungry supports every team so technically no fanbase is ever totally unrepresented.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

RC Cola posted:

While I don't hate my team, I hate every player on my team and everyone in charge of it. Except maybe Hossa and Toftbo. Is that good enough?

Yes, truly Hawks fans have it tough right now. We all feel for you.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good grief, your team has won two Stanley Cups in your lifetime and could very well win a third. They have done everything and more you could ask from them, and Q has been a big part of that. Suggesting the high luck threshold in hockey is somehow the result of bad coaching is ridiculous.

Every coach plays players who seemingly don't deserve it, every coach makes a bad decision or two. We look for narrative out of random static and try to create meaning. If Toews had been out there for the game winning goal against, people would claim he was too tired or injured and Q was playing him when he shouldn't. It's never that the team suffered a bout of bad luck or were simply beaten, it has to be someone's fault. Oftentimes, there's no one to blame. Even if there was, I'm not certain I'd choose one of the most successful coaches in the history of hockey.

Do you have any idea what I would do to see my team win a single measly Stanley Cup before I die? Terrible, unspeakable things. Monstrous even.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bob Saget IRL posted:

I was actually thinking about arnason bell and Calder the other day, and only one of them is still in the nhl. I forgot which one.

Its been five years since any of them played an NHL game.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

this petty tribalism must end

you're all fans of every team now

Personally I cheer that everyone has a good time and no one gets hurt. Afterwards I bring orange slices for the players to share. If they've been extra good it's sodalicious!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Good to know. I'm not from a (ice) hockey playing country so I was curious.

Hey now, the Ice Blacks are ranked 37th in the world.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Stickarts posted:

If I walk 20 minutes from my door I'm outside the city. The true mark of exceptional urban planning is the complete and utter lack of it.

I mean urban planning is a bit tougher when people actually want to live in your city.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

So the reason Stan Mikita hasn't been around this postseason? He doesn't remember who the Blackhawks are anymore nor that he played for them (or that he's the all time leading scorer for the franchise, etcetc)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/ct-stan-mikita-blackhawks-spt-0615-20150614-story.html#page=1

CTE is delightful. :smith:

Yeah I read that this morning. Heartbreaking stuff. The family are adamant they won't sue the NHL, but Mikita insisted his brain be donated for CTE research. It'll be interesting to see what happens because there's every chance that hockey did this to him. He'd be the first star player to be confirmed with CTE leading to dementia later in life in hockey, if not any sport outside of football. The guy was a pioneer of wearing a helmet too, I think this CTE stuff is going to flair up in a big way and lead to sweeping changes in the next few years.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Only game 7 in Vancouver a couple years ago was more expensive.

I watched a guy agree to pay $10,000 for two tickets off of a scalper outside of Game 5 in 2011. I was meeting some people so I didn't get to see how that shook down, but how in god's name would you pay for that? It's not like you can take $10,000 out of an ATM.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Dexo posted:

10k isn't that big of an issue if you're rich as gently caress. And there are plenty of rich people in Chicago.

Ditto Vancouver. Of course everything is relative to your income. Someone earning $500,000 a year spending $10,000 is the same as someone earning $50,000 a year spending $1,000 so quite reasonable (in the grand scheme of things). I was more stunned that someone would pay that much to a scalper where there's no fail safe if you're scammed. Plus how do you even complete a transaction like that? Write the scalper a cheque? Take thousands of dollars out of your account in cash over several days in the off chance you'll be able to buy tickets from a scalper on game day knowing full well you are at risk of being robbed or ripped off? It's not like he takes credit cards.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

TubeStank posted:

at least this might keep people from rioting if the hawks win?

So you're saying Lightning will stop Chicago from celebrating tonight?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

One of the all time great teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

God dammit the Hawks still could have another cup in them. I am so jealous of how successful this team is.

• Locked thread