Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaimers
Jul 30, 2014
The original laser is hilarious because it's incredibly buggy and can do some really silly things.
You essentially don't really need Double in Gradius 1 since the laser can also hit things that are above and behind you if you move up or line them all up together.
One time I had them all lined up in the middle of the screen and I somehow killed something that was in the bottom-right of the screen.
Like I'm not sure what is happening with the hitboxes on these things, you can even kill things behind walls by moving up and down.

The shield on the NES version looks incredibly broken holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I think the only Gradius game I have ever played was Parodius for the Game Boy.

Jaimers
Jul 30, 2014
I guess I'll start the ball rolling with this Gradius 1 Hi-score Contest.

Jaimers - 753,500 - 2-4 - Video

I didn't want to learn any recoveries so I just tried to no-miss the whole thing. The drawback of this though is that the run is over the moment I die anywhere in the loop.
Alternatively you can just learn how to recover on every checkpoint and play the game for over 6 hours.
Infinite loops are silly.

My two cents on this hiscore contest since I've participated in a few in the past: making a video for every time you want to submit something can be quite a bother and I think people are more willing to submit something if the rules are a bit more lax.
I think for a relatively small local contest just posting a screenshot would be enough and of course they would be free to submit videos as well.
Alternatively just make people submit MAME inp replay files which take no effort to make or upload.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jaimers posted:

My two cents on this hiscore contest since I've participated in a few in the past: making a video for every time you want to submit something can be quite a bother and I think people are more willing to submit something if the rules are a bit more lax.
I think for a relatively small local contest just posting a screenshot would be enough and of course they would be free to submit videos as well.
Alternatively just make people submit MAME inp replay files which take no effort to make or upload.

I think that's fair. A button-input recording from MAME or for an emulator of the Saturn or PSX ports is fine and something I can work with and make a video of and upload. The idea of having a video is not just a matter of proof, but so others can see the spectacle of the whole thing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have recorded video for Salamander and Life Force arcade. I still don't like them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Update on the next video: commentary for Salamander has been recorded. I'm just trying to get a two-player video done as well so that I can do it all in one update instead of two.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Co-hosts - UZworm and Scruffy

Salamander is the 1986 arcade sequel to Gradius. A new Bacterian invasion reaches the planet Latis and the Vic Viper of the planet Gradius is dispatched to thwart them. Planet Latis sends its own star fighter, the Lord British, to assist the Vic Viper in repelling the Bacterians. Salamander was released under the same name in Europe and in North American arcades under the title Life Force. Changes in the North American edition features the same organic webbing from the first stage's background in later stages and the game's introduction was written to reference the 1966 film Fantastic Voyage. Salamander would then later be re-released in Japanese arcades as Lifeforce and the re-skinning of stages and enemies to match the organic theme would be taken to a greater extreme.

The game maintains many of the same features as its predecessor, but also separates itself from it in many ways. The game features simultaneous two-player where player one pilots the Vic Viper and player two pilots the Lord British. Salamander also alternates play by scrolling the screen horizontally in odd-numbered stages and switches to vertical scrolling in even-numbered stages. Salamander also features voiceover for when the player picks up a new weapon and warning them of when a boss is about to arrive on-screen. The power meter has been replaced with weapon pickups and the player is instantly revived upon death instead of using a checkpoint system. Salamander is also the first Gradius game to have unique bosses at the end of all of its stages and features the first boss rush where three Big Cores attack the player halfway through the game's final stage.

Power-Ups

Increases the speed of the player's ship, up to a maximum of five boosts.

The missile power-up fires two missiles above and below the player's ship. They will crawl along the terrain until they collide with an enemy.

The ripple laser replaces the double shot from Gradius. The ripple laser fires an energy ring that expands as it travels across the screen. A player with four options can cover the entire height or width of the screen with the ripple.

The laser from Gradius returns and is just as devastating.

The option has been renamed to multiple, but functions the same as it did in Gradius. Picking up multiples creates an orb of energy that mimics the player's movements and weapons. Multiples do not have as tight of pathing as they did in Gradius, so positioning them is a little more difficult compared to the game's predecessor. A maximum of four multiples can be used by a single player. Multiples can be shared among both players, but there can only be a maximum of four multiples in use between both players. If a player dies, the multiples they had will drift to the left or bottom of the screen until they scroll of the screen or a player's ship picks them back up. A second player can steal options this way.

The shield has been greatly de-powered in Salamander. The shield will deplete over time and are also a very uncommon drop in the game.

Bosses

Brain Golem - the boss of stage one is a gigantic version of the tentacle golem from Gradius. It begins the fight encased in a membrane and will awaken after both of its arms have extracted from the brain's sides. After a few moments, the Brain Golem's weakspot will reveal itself. Shoot the eye to destroy it.

Cruiser Tetran - the boss of stage two is the first core boss of Salamander. It swings four arms clockwise in an attempt to whip the player's ship with them while circling around the center of the screen. The ends of each arm occasionally fire bullets and extend themselves from the center of Tetran's body the longer the fight goes on. Destroy the barriers that guard its core and the core itself to destroy Tetran.

Intruder - the third stage boss is a long, serpentine dragon that emerges from the fire of planet Latis's sun. Intruder will chase the player around the screen in order to collide with it and fire beams of fire. If the player has enough power-ups on hand, Intruder will encircle the player and try to constrict him or her. Shoot the head to destroy Intruder.

Center Core - the fourth stage boss is a wall of cores that release crystal balls that bounce all over the screen. It is accompanied by several turrets and ships that drop power-ups as well. Center Core is a very difficult boss to fight and it is likely that you will die at least once during the fight. There is a safe spot where the player should be safe from dying in the bottom-right corner of the screen, but the player must position themselves there before Center Core starts unleashing crystal balls.

Death - the fifth stage boss will fly in from the left side of the screen until it is in its position to attack you. Death will start by summoning enemy ships that can be destroyed and the same crystal balls that Center Core fires. Destroying the hatch will cause Death to fire faster crystal balls and stop summoning ships. Continue shooting the hatch to destroy Death.

Zelos Force - the final boss of Salamander is mostly harmless, but it will try to collide with you by flying in from the bottom of the screen before locking into place. Destroy all four of its supports to beat it. It's easier to do this if a player is equipped with missiles, but it's possible to destroy all four supports without them with very tight control into the narrow space. If the Zelos Force is not destroyed, the player will have to start the game over again on the same loop and attempt to reach Zelos Force again. Once it is destroyed, the player will have to fly through a high-speed tunnel with trap doors that will leave little space or close to prevent the player's ship from escaping the exploding planet Salamander.

Music

Power of Anger - Stage 1
Fly High - Stage 2
Planet Ratis - Stage 3
Starfield - Stage 4
Burn the Wind - Stage 5
Destroy Them All - Stage 6
Aircraft Carrier - Big Core
Poison of Snake - Boss
Peace Again - Credits
Crystal Forever - Game Over and High Score

Selections from MIDI Power Pro 5 - Salamander

Power of Anger
Fly High
Starfield

Selections from MIDI Power Pro 5 - Salamander: Power Disk

The MIDI Power Pro series of albums came with a floppy disk containing some of the album's music on MIDI files. Assuming you have the appropriate sound fonts, you could in theory recreate the album's music with these MIDIs. They can also be transcoded into sheet music with appropriate software so that you can do whatever you like with the music or play it yourself on your instrument of choice.

Power of Anger
Fly High

Selections from Otomedius Original Soundtrack

Fly High
Burn the Wind
Poison of Snake
Power of Anger

Poison of Snake
Planet Ratis
Destroy them All

Star Man fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 13, 2015

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ugh, that took me way too long to get put together. I had intended that post to be made on Salamander's 29th birthday, which was the fourth of July. There will be a hi-score contest for Salamander and the deadline for submitted videos, input recordings, or screenshots of the leaderboard is August 9th.

The winner and sole participant of the Gradius hi-score contest, Jaimers, wins his or her very own forums upgrade for themselves or another user.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Brain Golem dislikes gravity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmkyHnh-lWM&t=18m03s

Jaimers
Jul 30, 2014
I've already said my thoughts on this game in a previous post but yeah I don't think this game aged nearly as well as Gradius 1.
There's not nearly as much going on to engage the player which often leads to a lot of dead air.
There are also tons and tons of safespots and once you know where they are you can just stand still for extended periods of time.

Just like Gradius 1 this game has infinite loops where every next loop is harder than the previous one.
Interesting things to note about this is that the walls changing in stage 1 and where the flame pillars appear in stage 3 changes every single loop.
I can't imagine how people playing 10+ loops of this game must remember all of that. Maybe the player has like 20 post-it's stuck to the sides of the screen telling what every loop does.

Here's a video of a loop 10 no-miss from an old superplay tape.
It even comes with amazing editing. Also 1986 bullet hell.
Here's another video of a full 14 loops run.

Gotta love the enemy that instead of trying to kill you with bullets tries to kill you by giving the player a seizure.

Also I'll go for the archives upgrade.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Scruffy? I didn't guest on this video. :colbert:

I played the poo poo out of some Salamander growing up so I will not hear any denigration upon it.

Scruffeh
Oct 9, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

Scruffy? I didn't guest on this video. :colbert:

I played the poo poo out of some Salamander growing up so I will not hear any denigration upon it.

Hi, it's me. You from another dimension. There's a few differences between you and I. The main one being that my feet smell like popcorn when they get stinky. Hopefully this clears up any confusion as to who is on the video.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Jaimers, I need an e-mail to enter to buy you archives.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I forgot I saved this from 9 years ago until after you're already done with Gradius 1, but here's a video of 15 people playing the first level of NES Gradius, all superimposed together. There's a link to a bigger breakdown of who did what in the description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfvsdBq9RrQ

Who the hell gets a Shield before 2 Options?! Craziness.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pneub posted:

I forgot I saved this from 9 years ago until after you're already done with Gradius 1, but here's a video of 15 people playing the first level of NES Gradius, all superimposed together. There's a link to a bigger breakdown of who did what in the description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfvsdBq9RrQ

Who the hell gets a Shield before 2 Options?! Craziness.

I've seen that before too. I don't know why I didn't include it in that post.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
That was really interesting and would make for a good way to analyze enemy pattern movements. Also, the "wall" of bullets made me think how cool an MMOSHMUP would be. Like 16 planes working together simultaneously...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've seen something like that but can't now remember what it's called.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dabir posted:

I've seen something like that but can't now remember what it's called.

Same. After watching that video, I seem to remember watching a similar one where it was done by different players rather than by the same player. I think half of them had all died by the time the game got to Big Core.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Update: I have a Life Force arcade video. We recorded commentary for it at the same time that we did Salamander arcade, but I'm tossing it because the three of us all sound like we want to pass out. I do grounds keeping at a golf course and it usually drains me to the point that I don't want to do a god drat thing for the rest of the day when I get home. I was hoping that I would have an update schedule of one video/game per two weeks and not at once per month, but here we are. It also doesn't help that the input recording I made for a two-player Life Force video is also hosed up beyond repair. I hope to have something around soon. I just don't know when.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
That's alright, Star Man. Definitely know I'll hang around for it, because Life Force was the first Gradius I ever played.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

S'all good. A week or two here or there doesn't matter. I'm still looking forward to it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

JamieTheD posted:

That's alright, Star Man. Definitely know I'll hang around for it, because Life Force was the first Gradius I ever played.

Japanese or US version?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Star Man posted:

Japanese or US version?

That'd be the US Version.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Pictured: my other incredibly nerdy hobby that distracts me from this Gradius LP while I wait for the planets and schedules to align for a Life Force re-recording.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I hadn't given that a thumbs up in the 40k thread, but since US Lifeforce was my first Gradius as well, I'll give it here :orks: :respek: :vomarine:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Co-hosts - Heavy Sigh and JSpades

Lifeforce is a reskin of 1986's Salamander. Salamander was ported overseas under the same name in Asia and Europe, but was given a new title for its North American release. The game was renamed to Life Force (with a space in between the two words) and the game's background graphics were mostly changed to resemble an organic theme. Additional voice samples were also created that guide the player in what to do as the game progresses. It was given some introductory text about how you, the player, are cleansing a lifeform in space of an infection, therefore making the game seem as if it's inspired by the film Fantastic Voyage. For whatever reason that compelled Konami to do so, they took Salamander, reskinned nearly the entire game to go along with that organic theme with new organic backgrounds, enemies look more like invasive organisms, three new tracks were composed and replace some of the tracks from Salamander, and even more voice samples in addition to the North American game's.

There were a few gameplay changes made in Lifeforce as well. The power-ups that you could pick up were replaced with power-up capsules and the power meter from Gradius returns, although the meter is in a different order for the Lord British than it is for the Vic Viper. Extra lives can also be obtained by scoring enough points, which was absent in Salamander. A minor change for two-player mode was made so that one player's ship could not push the other player's ship around.

And that's not the only conversion of Salamander. There is another arcade version that was given away as a prize for a stage design contest for Gradius III. This version uses the Salamander graphics, but features the same power-up system in Lifeforce, bringing the total number of arcade versions to four. Based on what little information there is about them, it seems that only two or four of these Salamander Special Prize Clone boards were made and none of them have been accounted for (I said sixteen in the video, but I misremembered the actual number). The winner of the contest is the designer of the Cube Attack stage in Gradius III, and anyone familiar with that game can take whatever they want from that knowing the hardest stage in the entire franchise was made by a contestent. This is why you don't let your fans design things for your games.

Just like the game that it's based on, I don't care a whole lot for Lifeforce. It's an even noisier game with all of the voice samples and the power meter makes the game harder in some ways because it takes more power-ups to assemble a complete armament or to recover after death. It does have what used to be my favorite piece of music in the Gradius series, "Thunderbolt", but Gradius Gaiden's "Speed" has taken that position. The narration of the game is just annoying nonsense, but it does have one of the most amusing lines I've ever heard in a video game, "kidney stones cannot be destroyed!". Indeed, Konami. Indeed.

There being two arcade versions complicates which game you're talking about and there's just enough that's different between them to justify calling them different games. Street Fighter II eclipses Salamander in the number of updates that it received, but it's a similar phenomena and I don't know if this was a common practice in arcade games in the 80s and 90s.

Power-Ups

The weapon pick-ups from Salamander have been replaced with power-up capsules and the power meter. The power meter is different for each ship, but the actual power-ups are the same for both of them.

Speed-Up - increases the speed of the player's ship, up to a maximum of five boosts.

Missile - the missile power-up fires two missiles above and below the player's ship. They will crawl along the terrain until they collide with an enemy.

Ripple Laser - the ripple laser replaces the double shot from Gradius. The ripple laser fires an energy ring that expands as it travels across the screen. A player with four options can cover the entire height or width of the screen with the ripple.

Laser - the laser from Gradius returns and is just as devastating.

Multiple - The option has been renamed to multiple, but functions the same as it did in Gradius. Picking up multiples creates an orb of energy that mimics the player's movements and weapons. Multiples do not have as tight of pathing as they did in Gradius, so positioning them is a little more difficult compared to the game's predecessor. A maximum of four multiples can be used by a single player. Multiples can be shared among both players, but there can only be a maximum of four multiples in use between both players. If a player dies, the multiples they had will drift to the left or bottom of the screen until they scroll of the screen or a player's ship picks them back up. A second player can steal options this way.

Shield (?) - the shield has changed a little bit since Gradius and Salamander. Activating it in Lifeforce will create a shield in front of your ship just as it did in Salamander. Activating it a second time while the shield is still up will create another one at the top of your ship and at the bottom if you activate it a third time. These secondary shields do not seem to dissipate over time if you can avoid colliding them with terrain or enemies, leading to the conclusion that your own fire depletes the front shield. Madness.

Bosses

Brain Golem - the boss of stage one is a gigantic version of the tentacle golem from Gradius. It begins the fight encased in a membrane and will awaken after both of its arms have extracted from the brain's sides. After a few moments, the Brain Golem's weakspot will reveal itself. Shoot the eye to destroy it.

Zylon - an organic reskin of the Cruiser Tetran in stage two. It swings four arms clockwise in an attempt to whip the player's ship with them while circling around the center of the screen. The ends of each arm occasionally fire bullets and extend themselves from the center of Zylon's body the longer the fight goes on. Destroy the barriers that guard its core and the core itself to destroy Zylon.

Intruder - the third stage boss is a long, serpentine dragon that emerges from the fire of planet Latis's sun. Intruder will chase the player around the screen in order to collide with it and fire beams of fire. If the player has enough power-ups on hand, Intruder will encircle the player and try to constrict him or her. Shoot the head to destroy Intruder. It has been recolored blue to match the blue fire in Lifeforce.

Center Core X - the fourth stage boss is a wall of cores that release blue cellular projectiles that bounce all over the screen. It is accompanied by several turrets and ships that drop power-ups as well. Center Core is a very difficult boss to fight and it is likely that you will die at least once during the fight. There is a safe spot where the player should be safe from dying in the bottom-right corner of the screen, but the player must position themselves there before Center Core X starts unleashing its projectiles. Beyond the slight name change and the blue cores being converted into organic projectiles, there is no difference from the original fight.

Gau - an organic reskin of Death from Salamander. The fifth stage boss will fly in from the left side of the screen until it is in its position to attack you. Gau will fire eyeballs that can be destroyed and the same blue cells that Center Core X does. Destroying the mouth will cause Gau to fire faster blue cells and stop firing eyeballs. Continue shooting the mouth to destroy Gau.

Zelos Force - the final boss of Lifeforce is mostly harmless, but it will try to collide with you by flying in from the bottom of the screen before locking into place. Destroy all four of its supports to beat it. It's easier to do this if a player is equipped with missiles, but it's possible to destroy all four supports without them with very tight control into the narrow space. If the Zelos Force is not destroyed, the player will have to start the game over again on the same loop and attempt to reach Zelos Force again. Once it is destroyed, the player will have to fly through a high-speed tunnel with trap doors that will leave little space or close to prevent the player's ship from escaping the exploding giant lifeform.

Music

Thunderbold - Stage 2
Slash Fighter - Stage 4
Combat - Stage 5

Selections from MIDI Power Pro 5 - Salamander

Thunderbolt

Selections from MIDI Power Pro 5 - Salamander: Power Disk

The MIDI Power Pro series of albums came with a floppy disk containing some of the album's music on MIDI files. Assuming you have the appropriate sound fonts, you could in theory recreate the album's music with these MIDIs. They can also be transcoded into sheet music with appropriate software so that you can do whatever you like with the music or play it yourself on your instrument of choice.

Thunderbolt

Selections from Otomedius Original Soundtrack

Combat
Thunderbolt
Slash Fighter

Star Man fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 25, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Follow-up poast:

I'm not going to attempt holding hi-score contests anymore. A sporadic update schedule and general disinterest in thread participation kind of makes it meaningless to hold them. Though i still haven't heard back from Jaimers about an e-mail address so I can fulfill that forums upgrade.

Hopefully this thread can get back on track and updates can happen at a pace of the living. The first two MSX games are next. The first is a port of Gradius with some new features and the second is an original game, Gradius 2. Because the MSX can't scroll screens, they look janky as hell, but Gradius 2 is a neat little game.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It's Fantastic Voyage not Amazing Journey you poltroon! :argh:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Choco1980 posted:

It's Fantastic Voyage not Amazing Journey you poltroon! :argh:

I will never get the title of that movie right. Doesn't help that I've never seen it either nor that I keep calling a movie the name of a song by The Who.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have to wonder why Konami suddenly stopped retexturing the game after a point. It looks weird and disconnected that way, like you went from a body to space for some reason.

Then again, I have to wonder why they bothered with the reskin in the first place.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I really want to know what compelled them to convert Salamander to Lifeforce, I really do. The differences in the North American release aren't that obtuse, but a complete graphical makeover and re-release is a lot of effort. I'm sure there's an interview somewhere out there that describes why the conversion happened in some Japanese publication somewhere. It's just a matter of getting it online and translated into English.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
I'm the best at SHMUPS

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Welp, that was pretty much as I remember it. :v:

I'm also mystified at conversions sometimes, because there sure are quite a few differences between EU, JP, and US versions of games sometimes, including entire levels being removed or added in.

Also, a random bit of mondegreen hilarity. It wasn't until the Two-Player vid I realised the synth voice was saying "Danger Danger Danger Danger", instead thinking that the Zelos Force (Which... Can talk... For reasons?) was trying to catch up while saying "Hey jerk, hey jerk, hey jerk, hey jerk" :v:

I dunno, I like that mental image more somehow...

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

JamieTheD posted:

Also, a random bit of mondegreen hilarity. It wasn't until the Two-Player vid I realised the synth voice was saying "Danger Danger Danger Danger", instead thinking that the Zelos Force (Which... Can talk... For reasons?) was trying to catch up while saying "Hey jerk, hey jerk, hey jerk, hey jerk" :v:

I dunno, I like that mental image more somehow...

Things in this series get unusually chatty as the games go on, so Zelos Force having a bit of banter isn't too weird a stretch at least.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
A nice touch that was added in Gradius V was using a few Salamander sound effects in the game. The same effect you hear when you shoot st Brain Golem is used when you shoot large organic enemies. The Zelos Forces in the first stage also cry, "Bwah!" when they explode.

Jaimers
Jul 30, 2014
The point where the reskin part just ends makes this look so incredibly half-assed and it's absolutely hilarious.
But really the most amusing change they made between Salamander and Life Force is how they added that ridiculous death scream for the final boss.
...which they apparently took out again in the version that Star Man is playing but you can hear it in the two-player video.
Imagine if the Zelos Forces in the first stage of Gradius V all screamed like that.

By the way, the trick for the stage 4 boss safespot is to not shoot it at all and just let the boss time out. If you destroy one of the cores it changes the pattern up to where one of the cores starts firing an aimed orb at you and you obviously can't safepot that by sitting still.
There is another, more lucrative, way to safespot that boss but it's a a lot trickier to execute.
It involves leaving one of the floor hatches alive and sitting in a spot where you can absorb the enemies from the background hatch for 2000 points a piece.
It's hard to explain but you can see it here.

(I actually send you a pm through Youtube a while ago since I figured that'd be easier.)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I use the PSX Deluxe ports for these videos, mainly for my own flow. There are links without commentary, so you can get a better sense of things without us talking over the game. The downloadable videos also have a second audio track without commentary.

Anyways, the Zelos Force's cry is a long drone in the arcade version of Salamander. It was changed to a shorter cry in Lifeforce and the same sound was retained in ports of the arcade games of both versions and in sound effects collections on CD. But there's also a hard transition between sections of a stage in the first stage in Salamander. The middle section is completely different with blue circular objects that make up the terrain and has a blue and black soft background instead of the veins.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I could actually kind of buy just abandoning the port completely at some point. I mean, one thing I do know about the engineering of the period is that even something like textures could have serious ramifications when changed.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Glazius posted:

I could actually kind of buy just abandoning the port completely at some point. I mean, one thing I do know about the engineering of the period is that even something like textures could have serious ramifications when changed.

I'd believe it. And also given the fact that so many games in the 80's were made practically overnight, I wouldn't be surprised if just enough was done to get by or make the director happy.

Update status: I've finally learned a bit about how to use openMSX. blueMSX was my MSX emulator of choice until I needed it for recording gameplay and it does not like to cooperate very well when I want to record the next two videos. openMSX has a learning curve because for some god drat reason the people that make these emulators cannot get it through their heads that not everyone that wants to use these things is a PhD in computer science. But, it's the emulator that the TAS crowd uses, meaning that it's good for recording video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just wrapped up recording commentary with my long-time friend ShinerCCC for Gradius 1 MSX. You might recognize him if you're into speed running Faxanadu and I know that he's active with Speed Demos Archive and appeared in one of the AGDQ streams this year.

Update should be up by the weekend.

• Locked thread