Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Snorb posted:

A couple years ago, we got quite a few copies of Otomedius Excellent in at work. Not surprisingly, it was bargain-priced at $20.

My first thought when I saw it was "Yup. That's a blue-haired anime girl riding the Vic Viper. And of course they went for the tits-n-rear end shot on the cover."

My second thought was "'Inspired by the legendary Gradius series?' Why the gently caress didn't Konami just MAKE Gradius VI like everyone wants them to? Who actually asked for this?"

They were chasing the Touhou audience, basically. Shooting games are very niche, even in Japan, and going hard on the "character goods" aspect was seen as a way to attract new fans outside of the STG crowd. Even beyond all the fanservice, the game simply isn't much fun, but it has a ton of DLC so I'm sure it was profitable.

Otomedius Excellent is one of the games Koji Igarashi was punted onto after being removed from Castlevania, incidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread