Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I'm working enrolments a TAFE tomorrow. I'll let you know how much of a ghost town it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Anyway I don't mean to go on some weird vicarious recruiting drive, I just meant to discourage you from the idea that you'd be useless (or worse, a liability) to the Greens just because you didn't spend your while life volunteering at a soup kitchen and rescuing feral pigeons. If politics interests you, if making a difference matters, then go talk to them and see what you can do. There's a hell of a lot that goes on behind the scenes so that Scott Ludlam can sit in front of a camera and have actual policies to propose. It's not just Larissa Waters and Adam Bandt in a shed somewhere cranking out letters 24/7 and putting up flyers

I fully intend to be present at future Green's meetings and play the voice not only for my industry and workmates but also the environmental issues I believe in, too. I won't be discouraged, I'm just aware I've got the dirt in my past.

All good, I look forward to being a part of the Greens and am already actively encouraging other union members to sway that way, because the Greens have been the only party in recent years vocally backing our unions and workforce.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

what the gently caress posted:

I fully intend to be present at future Green's meetings and play the voice not only for my industry and workmates but also the environmental issues I believe in, too. I won't be discouraged, I'm just aware I've got the dirt in my past.

All good, I look forward to being a part of the Greens and am already actively encouraging other union members to sway that way, because the Greens have been the only party in recent years vocally backing our unions and workforce.

Um have you considered volunteering for (and then re-registering) the Democrats

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Excuse me?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Oh, sorry. I just realised you only started posting in this thread Jun 23. We had a poster who was intent on re-forming the Democrats (exploiting the brand without acknowledging the associated baggage) and then had a bit of a meltdown when he couldn't explain why we should support the Democrats rather than the Greens. And then the AEC dissolved the party because apparently they had lied about having the minimum required signatures to register. It was equal parts fun and sad but the fundamental question remained unanswered: Why not just join the Greens? Hence my hilarious and topical and intelligent and highly good-looking joke about joining the Democrats instead

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I've posted retarded poo poo in this thread in the past but changed my username in the last couple of days.
Also if I'm going to present MUA arguments at the next Greens meetingin Tassie it would help if you guys could provide me with more ammo to fire, if that's possible (again, I've never been to a party meeting before, despite being a Greens member for the last year or so).
I want to go in guns blazing. Greens need to know they have a goldmine of votes if they solidly back the MUA/unions in general with their respective families/friends etc

kgo

gently caress im drunk i should prob stop posting

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 30, 2015

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

In fact I imagine that you probably couldn't become a public face for the Greens even if you tried, they have a bunch of really good people for that, the public speakers and the poster children.

Depends where you are. I've turned into the public face for my local group after almost no time at all. Bit of a different case in Tasmania, though, since they only have 5 branches and each branch has the possibility of electing state MPs, so it's a bit more competitive. Local stuff though, like council, there's often openings.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

What they're probably lacking (you'd have to ask a Greens staffer to confirm though) is, apart from the ever-present money, a bunch of people willing to turn up and do the behind-the-scenes stuff. The people who set up and tear down the stage rather than perform. I can't give you specifics because I honestly don't know, but I wouldn't really worry about your past coming back to haunt you. Stick your hand up and tell them you want to help out (there's even a form on the website) and then specify that you used to burn churches for the insurance money, and they'll say oh okay well we won't slot this guy in for vatican ambassador if we ever take power. You won't find out what use they could have for you unless you ask.

This is absolutely true, though. People willing to help pitch in coordinating campaigns, organising meetings and keeping minutes and agendas and that sort of thing, as well as more physical help in setting and tearing down stuff at state councils and various events are always in short supply. That's the case in NSW at least, I suspect it's the same for TAS. There's also local group office bearer shitwork, which can be really important.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I can't help you with the MUA stuff but I can tell you that soberposting is generally discouraged here. If you're still sober it means you haven't been reading enough.

Also speaking of the MUA I wonder what happened to duck monster, he was involved with the wharfies wasn't he?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

what the gently caress posted:

I've posted retarded poo poo in this thread in the past but changed my username in the last couple of days.
Also if I'm going to present MUA arguments at the next Greens meetingin Tassie it would help if you guys could provide me with more ammo to fire, if that's possible (again, I've never been to a party meeting before, despite being a Greens member for the last year or so).
I want to go in guns blazing. Greens need to know they have a goldmine of votes if they solidly back the MUA/unions in general with their respective families/friends etc

I can only give the experience of NSW, where striding into a state council meeting with MUA arguments would be met with a resounding cheer because we're all fucken commies.

I think a good thing to do might be marshalling what it is you want the Greens to do in terms of supporting the MUA that they don't already. Also, be prepared for this not to get up at your first branch meeting - I'd take a meeting or two to learn how the process works, get to know the relevant people (if you're submitting a proposal it'll go to the Secretary, things like that).

What'll likely happen is you'll either be directed to an existing union issues/industrial relations working group, or someone will propose creating one. Working groups are the "expertise" as far as it applies to Green grassroots policy building. In NSW, working groups communicate with the MP who holds the relevant policy portfolio. They're open to any member, and essentially are comprised of the people who have either expertise or interest in that policy area. Some working groups have regular meetings, some communicate over email lists. A working group would be the best place to start a discussion about the Greens and the MUA, where you can get input and suggestions, and then take the proposal to state council once it's workshopped.

I will say that if the idea involves affiliation, it likely won't happen. So far the Greens have adamantly refused to accept union affiliation, and I don't really disagree. Our policy is set by members, not by any other interest group, whether they're good (like unions) or bad (like the Business Chamber.)

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I can only give the experience of NSW, where striding into a state council meeting with MUA arguments would be met with a resounding cheer because we're all fucken commies.

I think a good thing to do might be marshalling what it is you want the Greens to do in terms of supporting the MUA that they don't already. Also, be prepared for this not to get up at your first branch meeting - I'd take a meeting or two to learn how the process works, get to know the relevant people (if you're submitting a proposal it'll go to the Secretary, things like that).

What'll likely happen is you'll either be directed to an existing union issues/industrial relations working group, or someone will propose creating one. Working groups are the "expertise" as far as it applies to Green grassroots policy building. In NSW, working groups communicate with the MP who holds the relevant policy portfolio. They're open to any member, and essentially are comprised of the people who have either expertise or interest in that policy area. Some working groups have regular meetings, some communicate over email lists. A working group would be the best place to start a discussion about the Greens and the MUA, where you can get input and suggestions, and then take the proposal to state council once it's workshopped.

I will say that if the idea involves affiliation, it likely won't happen. So far the Greens have adamantly refused to accept union affiliation, and I don't really disagree. Our policy is set by members, not by any other interest group, whether they're good (like unions) or bad (like the Business Chamber.)

I wouldn't ask for affiliation because such a large portion of our union are die-hard Labor voters... all I would encourage is for the Greens to support and encourage at least DOMESTIC shipping trade. As Lisa said today, you wouldn't accept your freight being transported to you by 457/etc truck drivers... why should you accept your domestic shipping trade be operated by foreign operators? Australia has, now, about 2 weeks of fuel supply left. If international turmoil were to happen and we lose fuel supply we are entirely hosed. Regulation stipulates we need 90 days and we fall well below that standard. I understand if the greens refuse to affiliate with unions but on the same token there is an enormous workforce out there that is unionised that is looking for a political organisation to represent them, because Labor is loving dead. As far as I remember, Adam Bandt was the last MP to com out in vocal support of Australian fuel security being operated and maintained by Australian seafarers.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 30, 2015

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I'm loving hammered btw pls

RIP June thread

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 30, 2015

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
lol rumour mill is saying the ALP is going to reverse the leadership ballot rules to pre-Rudd changes. Bill Shorten is redirecting questions about it to Party Office.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Anidav posted:

lol rumour mill is saying the ALP is going to reverse the leadership ballot rules to pre-Rudd changes. Bill Shorten is redirecting questions about it to Party Office.

I don't understand, wasn't the whole point of those changes that they weren't reversible, and Shorten supported them because he anticipated being in charge (which he is now)? So why would, or how can, they reverse them?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

By simply not including them in the next draft of the ALP national constitution.

Funny flaw, right?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I don't understand, wasn't the whole point of those changes that they weren't reversible, and Shorten supported them because he anticipated being in charge (which he is now)? So why would, or how can, they reverse them?

If it takes less effort to change the rules, then it does to change the leadership, the people who came up with the change either hosed up quote a bit, or deliberately left a hell of a loophole.

I'm honestly not sure which shows the ALP in worse light.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

The other caveat is that the jobs tend to be in super expensive places (London for my girlfriend, but the tech cities in America have it worse) so unless you're some headhunted fancypants then you're going to be eating salmon at google for lunch and then ramen noodles at home in your lovely broom closet flat.

The kool-aid culture shits me to tears as well. "Why do you want to work at [here]" "best salary compensation and the work sounds tolerable" apparently isn't enough, you have to get down and fellate a company that has its own lobby group as though it's still just two guys in their mum's basement drinking jolt and arguing about star trek

Yep the bay area (where silicon valley is, and where I live) is extremely expensive to rent/buy. San Francisco is now more expensive than NYC. So a lot of your wage goes to rent/mortgage, unless you are OK with living 2 - 3 hours peak hour drive away each way to bring the cost of housing down. I know people that do this, it's insane how much of their life they throw away sitting in a car, but at least they don't live in a broom closet. Outside of rent, cost of living here is still fairly cheap compared to Australia so if you're living in a studio apartment in the mission for $3200 a month you can still get cheap ethnic food around the corner. Telecommuting/working remote is now becoming a standard policy at many companies, so if you're a white collar worker you can take advantage of that. So yet again, the blue collar guy that has to physically be there and isn't getting paid as much gets screwed further.

Shakugan posted:

Don't forget the "your school isn't prestigious enough, sorry" wall that's here also. Straight out of university, top students from average schools will be passed over for average students who happen to have gone to top schools and slacked off for years. Also different to Australia is that it'll follow you for a long time. People will forever ask you where you went to school. If you can say you went to an Ivy or MIT etc, you'll literally get a "woah!" response when having that conversation for the rest of your life. Alumni networks (i.e. the old boys clubs) are also much more important for finding jobs.

Wanting to replicate this sort of system in Australia is not the greatest idea...

Yep. And now just a bachelors isn't a big deal any more, seems like its the new high school diploma. Now you should go straight for the Masters and accumulate another 30 - 60k worth of university debt :siren: which you cannot declare bankruptcy for :siren: Wages in the USA have been stagnant for decades and now college grads are being saddled with massive debt that takes decades to pay back at their 'entry level but need 5 years experience' jobs. Forget home ownership. Middle class here is truly dying.

And this is where Abbott/Shorten is taking Australia.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Anidav posted:

By simply not including them in the next draft of the ALP national constitution.

Funny flaw, right?

dr_rat posted:

If it takes less effort to change the rules, then it does to change the leadership, the people who came up with the change either hosed up quote a bit, or deliberately left a hell of a loophole.

I'm honestly not sure which shows the ALP in worse light.

Hah. I tried googling but no luck - is the constitution something that comes up regularly for review? It sounds like something that could have been anticipated but dismissed as "a battle I don't have to worry about yet".

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Fairfax has the scoop I think. Massive push from the ALP right to revise the constitution and give all the power back to the caucus.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

And if the warlords from the Right want Shorten out the next leader's going to be Bowen or some third way fucker.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pickled Tink posted:

Time for First Dog:

Okay, from now on whenever someone posts that poo poo comic, I'll post something from Dicks on the Herald Sun to return balance to the thread.

Starting, now:

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/UvqpwTf.jpg:nws:

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Also speaking of the MUA I wonder what happened to duck monster, he was involved with the wharfies wasn't he?

He's around. I just saw him in one of the Southerners Being Racist threads.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Gorilla Salad posted:

He's around. I just saw him in one of the Southerners Being Racist threads.

Are you saying he's a racist m8

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'll fight you in real life :argh:

Here's the thread

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

d3rt posted:

Yep. And now just a bachelors isn't a big deal any more, seems like its the new high school diploma. Now you should go straight for the Masters and accumulate another 30 - 60k worth of university debt

What's particularly amazing is how little attention you see in the media about this. Everyone talks about the cost of college having risen dramatically, but no one talks about how everyone needs a masters to be competitive. In particular, no one seems to mention how funding for masters degrees (by coursework, which is the case for most people doing masters degrees for employment reasons) is practically nonexistent. Financial aid for undergrads is an expected thing; I believe my college gives undergrad full rides to everyone with parents earning less than 120k), but most masters students are paying completely out of pocket.

There's a reason we desperately want to avoid the US college payment system in Australia. Most masters students I know are paying >$60k a year in tuition alone (not counting living costs), with most masters programs being 1.5-3 years. And unless you're an exceptional student with financial out the whazoo, you probably graduated undergrade with a huge debt also. The college experience in the US is fantastic, but it's a separate thing from the insane levels of tuition and high barriers to entry for people without adequate finances.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Even when I was at uni in the 90s we said that anyone could afford a degree, but only the rich could get Masters and PhDs.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Even when I was at uni in the 90s we said that anyone could afford a degree, but only the rich could get Masters and PhDs.

It's not as bad for PhD students. Any PhD worth doing will cover tuition and provide a stipend. It's not enough to raise a family with or anything, and so there are definitely issues for the non-rich. But an individual who isn't looking to have kids can survive a PhD with little to no other income. Of course, there are also opportunity costs etc.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

MythLisp posted:

A spokesman for the minister said students were still enrolled at Dapto TAFE

You mean there are more than 0 people enrolled at a public educational institution :monocle:

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
first dog is a good comic.

that abbot penis heads thing is funny too

lighten up

quote:

Okay, from now on whenever someone posts that poo poo comic, I'll post something from Dicks on the Herald Sun to return balance to the thread.

okay every time you post.. blah blah wah wah jesus loving christ calm down.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Lascivious Sloth posted:

lighten up

May your ears turn to chickens and poo poo on your shoulders.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

Also, why? Are the people drafting the rules not in Shorten's faction? I just don't understand otherwise, it is already heavily biased towards the incumbent leader and caucus preference.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Lascivious Sloth posted:

lighten up

Beep boop. What is this human thing called humour?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Why tell you, when I could... SHOW you?

It all began several hundred thousands years ago,

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

What's that a reference to?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Mr Fluffy brand asbestos houses.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Your posting style does not do your username any justice.

David Pope. More like David Poop amirite????

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Who's doing July?

If it's me get ready for some home truths.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Cartoon posted:

Who's doing July?

If it's me get ready for some home truths.

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSS

It's the thread we deserve

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

What's that a reference to?

Knocking down houses that use loose 'Mr Fluffy' brand asbestos insulation.

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
I feel all wrong reading the June thread in July

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Pocket Billiards posted:

Knocking down houses that use loose 'Mr Fluffy' brand asbestos insulation.

He usually mixes two messages in his cartoons. Is there contentious land clearing happening in Canberra somewhere?

• Locked thread