Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

BanhMi posted:

did they ever use coconut oil in medieval times?

Good question. It was documented as used as early as 1500 BC, but foods tended to fall in and out of favor in the European middle ages. I could dig around in some of my books on historical cooking if you legitimately want an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
help goons i only know how to cook medieval feasts for 80 people at a time and haven't mastered the ancient art of the tomato sauce yet, there's only 10 pounds of meat & pasta left in my larder someone help me not starve to death i need a miracle worker here

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

*my larder*

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

fyodor posted:

*my larder*

m'larder

BanhMi
May 11, 2015

Kasan posted:

Good question. It was documented as used as early as 1500 BC, but foods tended to fall in and out of favor in the European middle ages. I could dig around in some of my books on historical cooking if you legitimately want an answer.

yes please

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Kasan posted:

Where did the knights get the coconuts from? Not exactly any evidence of Western-Medieval culture in Hawaii, OP :allears:

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Nooner posted:

Where did the knights get the coconuts from? Not exactly any evidence of Western-Medieval culture in Hawaii, OP :allears:

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
welp

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

don't doxx us dude

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
In this meeting of the SCA, I play John the Cappadocian who authorized bathhouse ovens to be used to bake bread for soldiers on the Italian campaign and whose resulting moldloaves made hundreds sick

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

whoflungpoop posted:

In this meeting of the SCA, I play John the Cappadocian who authorized bathhouse ovens to be used to bake bread for soldiers on the Italian campaign and whose resulting moldloaves made hundreds sick

So you work at au bon pain irl

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

UIApplication posted:

So you work at au bon pain irl

Seems like the only pain around here ... is the OP :c00l:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Nooner posted:

... Coconuts have been growing around the Indian ocean since way before the middle ages?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Fetus Tree posted:

Mods, in the interest of keeping Camelot's larders stocked with the finest rabbits and fowl in the kingdom, I recommend thee move thread to the finance subforum

This is a fine goal and I think I shall do just that, m'larder.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Index funds are the gold standard for investing. But in your, er, period of history, the gold standard may just be gold.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Op, if you're looking for the best bang for your buck, you can't go wrong with Prego.

The nerds in this subforum will tell you - at a generous ounce per dollar value like this, you can't go wrong.

This mouthwatering recipe made with authentic vine ripened tomatoes with a hint of basil and olive oil will leave you begging for more

Just heat it up and pour it over your favorite noodles for a quick meal

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Sell your iron pot and keep the money in a separate larder called an "emergency fund"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pesto is easy if you've got a blender. You can get away with just using garlic, basil, parmesan and olive oil, though spinach, parsley and romano are good additions.

"Larder" makes me think of garlic chains and assorted pickled foods.

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006
Man, I didn't realize using the correct word would cause that much of a stir.

Pesto is amazing and I've always been intimidated to try making it on my own. I have a blender, but I need to replace the top for it, the original vanished at some point and I'm not exactly sure when; I rarely used it, so it lived in the very back of the pantry.

I'm taking a class next month on sauces to better my saucefu. Hopefully it'll help transition my thinking of sauces in terms of specific to a dish into a sauce that you build a dish out of.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kasan posted:

Pesto is amazing and I've always been intimidated to try making it on my own. I have a blender, but I need to replace the top for it, the original vanished at some point and I'm not exactly sure when; I rarely used it, so it lived in the very back of the pantry.

I'm taking a class next month on sauces to better my saucefu. Hopefully it'll help transition my thinking of sauces in terms of specific to a dish into a sauce that you build a dish out of.

No dude. Just like you didn't have money for food at the end of the month, you don't have a larder. I encourage you to open up one of your midieval cookbooks and look at the definition of the word.

I also encourage you to sell said cookbooks to the next idiot sap that thinks he should prepare feasts for his cosplay friends and invest it into some nonperishables.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
Looking for help I.R.T. budgeting a monthly meal for 60 people on a 40k salary. TIA

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Libelous Slander posted:

Looking for help I.R.T. budgeting a monthly meal for 60 people on a 40k salary. TIA

I suggest you invest in Pillaging

rich white faglord
May 13, 2015

by Ralp

Kasan posted:

"im in ur SA, readin ur forums"

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
SCA is an expensive hobby that seems to attract people who can't afford it. I used to work with a guy who was trying to stay involved in SCA while working various min wage jobs. He ended up losing said jobs and pretty much ending up homeless from a combination of missing work to go to SCA events and spending all of his money on bat-swords and mead. Someone in the SCA community bought him a trailer.

When I knew him he would routinely get his power shut off to the point where everything in his fridge spoiled. Rather than clean it out he simply locked the fridge and began to eat fast food for every meal. During this time he bought some sort of hand hewn bow for hundreds of dollars. I think the trailer park ended up kicking him out for letting his trailer go derelict.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Leroy Diplowski posted:

SCA is an expensive hobby that seems to attract people who can't afford it. I used to work with a guy who was trying to stay involved in SCA while working various min wage jobs. He ended up losing said jobs and pretty much ending up homeless from a combination of missing work to go to SCA events and spending all of his money on bat-swords and mead. Someone in the SCA community bought him a trailer.

When I knew him he would routinely get his power shut off to the point where everything in his fridge spoiled. Rather than clean it out he simply locked the fridge and began to eat fast food for every meal. During this time he bought some sort of hand hewn bow for hundreds of dollars. I think the trailer park ended up kicking him out for letting his trailer go derelict.

Well, you live by the feudal system, you die by the feudal system

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I love it when these threads make it to BFC. People try to help the OP, then the thread gets moved to another subforum and we all get mocked for serious posting. Kinda funny, actually.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dik Hz posted:

I love it when these threads make it to BFC. People try to help the OP, then the thread gets moved to another subforum and we all get mocked for serious posting. Kinda funny, actually.

If it makes you feel any better I never expected any serious posting to happen ITT. I just wanted to spread the wealth, so to speak.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I cast magic missile

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I have a 5 step plan for you, OP:

1) Make a budget. Stick to it.
2) Build up a savings buffer so you're not starving to death at the end of the month. You may have to spend a bit less on cast iron cauldrons and miniature cannons to accomplish this, but I believe in you.
3) Build up a big store of canned goods so that if you are starving to death at the end of the month, you have more to work with than a can of crushed tomatoes. This is more important than having 100 different teas and 10 kinds of oil.
4) Ignore steps 1-3 because you don't think you're in trouble, even though you're running out of money & food at the end of the month.
5) Crawl back 6 months later, post another thread asking for help, pray nobody remembers this one.

Really though, read this thread, especially the part about priorities. You're allowed to spend money on SCA & other hobby stuff, but it shouldn't be a higher priority than food. You said this is a "rarity", but running out of food is a thing that shouldn't be happening at all. It's also terrifying since it suggests you have no savings to cover any sort of emergency.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Miniature cannons (as well as other gunpowder implements) are generally considered to be outside the purview of members of the Society for Creative Anachronism. Miniature longbows are fine; explodey bits are not.

Keep that half-jar of lard (or bacon grease) in the freezer or at least the fridge. It'll take a lot longer to go rancid and save money. Same with the grains if you have the space; whole grains go rancid more quickly than flour. I keep all of mine in a chest freezer I bought with money I didn't spend on period-accurate hosiery.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Kasan posted:

Edit: Blacksmithing is my primary hobby, SCA second. Steam games are probably a distant 6th behind some other crafting hobbies like wood working and building miniature cannons to scare the neighbors kids off my lawn.
I'm not sure how many miniature cannons you need to scare kids away, but they exist.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
OP, how did this all pan out?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

we're bearing down on the end of the month, aka the "lean times."

m'larder how are you op?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think we should move this thread to GBS, is this a thing that can happen please?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
How much yearly income are we talkin about OP? Since we're in bfc atm.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fetus Tree posted:

I think we should move this thread to GBS, is this a thing that can happen please?

yea this seems appropriate.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
bump, and also thank you SA moderation team for making this group effort happen :mrgw:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

best thread

• Locked thread