Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

AdvancesMONKEY posted:

Once I went out with a Jewish girl who DESTROYED some pasta. I had no idea that it was possible but she set the heat up high and roasted it to the pan. It destroyed a pretty good pot to. I thought all human beings where born with the intrinsic knowledge to make some pasta, but she proved me wrong. I worry she will get caught out in the woods and starve or something, seriously teach your kids to cook.

My father has stories about how his mother was the worst cook in the world:
Her spaghetti recipe:
Add all the spaghetti in a box to a baking pan. Pour a bottle of ketchup on there. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes

I wish I was joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

After the "lol prep your rear end my chili is going to rape you" thread blew up and went gold along with the Chickencheese thread most people who were linked to it learned that GWS is 10% hardcore professional experts who do not gently caress around and will get mad as poo poo at terrible amateur cooks (it's an even toss-up between pros who want to offer tons of friendly advice and people shouting "YOU loving GARBAGE HUMAN BEING STOP ACTING LIKE YOU KNOW ANYTHING"), 40% people who love food and love talking about it, another 40% who are a bit lazy but not ramen eating slobs, and 10% complete loving morons who think grating actual cheese into a pot of EasyMac is next level cooking.

Here's a microcosm of what GWS is about

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3406045

Guy posts an absolute garbage chili recipe in "bro-speak", gets reamed by GWS, keeps defending his terrible chili as some magical bargain recipe, and gets relentlessly burned by even casual posters for being an idiot.

And then there was the Chickencheese thread which became lengendary

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498320

It's 44 pages, and as you read through you can figure out the path the thread took as it was moved from GWS to AI, then TFR, then TradGames, and I think NMD

Unironically, "Who can out-chili my chili" remains my all-time fav SA thread. I'm nowhere near an epicure or even a respected GWS member or even a guy with taste, and I could still spot so many bleeeeech problems with his recipe.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Drunk Nerds posted:

Her spaghetti recipe:
Add all the spaghetti in a box to a baking pan. Pour a bottle of ketchup on there. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes

I wish I was joking.

one of those times you inadvertently make the :stare: face

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Drunk Nerds posted:

Unironically, "Who can out-chili my chili" remains my all-time fav SA thread. I'm nowhere near an epicure or even a respected GWS member or even a guy with taste, and I could still spot so many bleeeeech problems with his recipe.

that response about bow jobs thT said something like "anything to get the taste out of their mouth" was loving money

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drunk Nerds posted:

Her spaghetti recipe:

I wish I was joking.

i need to try this

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

"Jesus loving Christ, just chop up an onion, they're like 10 cents at most"

"LOL loving BITCHES CAN'T HANDLE MY HARD-rear end CHILI WANNA WHINE ABOUT SODIUM LIKE LITTLE GIRLS GULP IT DOWN WITH A SMILE AND SAY THANK YOU"

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I loving love onions. They're so dank.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

I'm so sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities. All I have to go on is about 10 years of people lining up to fellate me after trying my chili.

Lucky for you there's an entirely other chili thread dedicated to pretentiousness! Feel free to go there and exchange tips on bras.

quote:

Anything to get the taste out of their mouth, I suppose.

More of the OP

quote:

There's love of food, and then there's food snobbery. If you make a pot of this chili and give it to someone, they'll tell you it's some of the best chili they've ever eaten. I'm sure it goes against everything you've ever been told about proper cooking, but the recipe works. If a recipe doesn't contain the types of ingredients you would like it to contain but it comes out tasting great, is it a success or a failure?

This chili tastes great, and it will always taste great. And that's why I posted the recipe. When something works, it works. I'm sorry if it makes you mad that good food can come from bad ingredients. I, and anyone who can put their ego on hold long enough to whip up a batch of this stuff, will enjoy.

It was just bad enough to be a serious attempt to "show-up" the GWS snobs or it was a troll that completely failed at everything he attempted and ending up getting banned.

It was "I can make garbage taste great (or so my friends and family tell me) so I'm better then all you effete truffle snorting dickbags who don't know good food when it punches you in the mouth"

The best part of the responses was the mix of "that chili would have no loving spiciness at all you moron" and "just replace the cheap convenience poo poo with 5-10 minutes of cutting/prepping vegetables and you've got a good dish" but no every single comment on his food was met with

quote:

There's a small chance I may have whizzed in their free-trade, organic, non-subsidized, hand-pressed corn flakes.

Imagine what would happen if I told them I sometimes use artificial vanilla extract when I make cookies rather than gathering the beans myself from Aphrodite's pubis.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 27, 2015

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
And his presumption that "using fresh ingredients" was some sort of assault on manliness... I mean, poo poo, the gangsters in Goodfellas pushed for razor blades just so they could chop their garlic fine, and not resort to powder

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
lol if u put beans in chili

but lol if u don't use worcestshirs sauce and also cayenne pepper

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
also flat iron steak and andouille sausage makes the best meat for chili

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Just a reminder, this is what the OP thought was "borderline starvation" levels of food storage.

quote:

Frozen ground beef (2lbs/1kg 85/15, 1lb/500g 75/25)
several pounds of spaghetti/angel hair, ziti, rigatoni, penne and macaroni.
a large can of crushed tomatoes (Hunt's Crushed Tomatoes with Basil - 1lb 12oz / 794g)

Spices (All dried unless otherwise noted):
Salt, Seasoned Salt, Sea Salt, Pink Salt, Black Salt
Pepper, Cracked Pepper Grinder, Fresh Peppercorns, Long Pepper, Grains of Paradise, White Pepper
Crushed Red Pepper, Ground Cayenne Pepper, Chiptole (Powder and bouillon), Habanero (Fresh), Carolina Reaper (Fresh, no I'm not putting this in the sauce, my wife can't eat spicy food. I make candy out of them)
Curry Powder, Bird's Eye Curry Powder, Tumeric, Cumin, Mustard (Powder), Mustard (Prepared), Powdered Ginger, Asefoteta
Basil, Italian Seasoning Blend, Bay Leaf, Lavender (Fresh in my garden), Mint (Fresh in my garden), Marjoram, Crushed Cilantro, Crushed Thyme (I think. I didn't see it on first look but I'm pretty sure I have it.)
Dried Onion Flakes, Garlic Powder, Onion Salt, Garlic Salt
Fennel Seed, Celery Seed
Ground Nutmeg, Whole Clove, Ground Allspice, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Alum, Pickling Spice
Old Bay, McCormick's: Rotisserie Chicken, Caribbean Jerk, Montreal Steak House Grinder
Around 100 different Teas, some instant coffee

Oils:
Canola, Coconut, Sesame, Grapeseed, Rapeseed, Peanut, Safflower, Olive (Light and Virgin and probably both not real olive oil), Lard (This poo poo is the bomb on toast)

Whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, almond flour, spelt flour, rye flour, golden flaxseed meal, Buckwheat flour, oat flour, barley flour, corn meal, Corn starch

2 lbs of meat, a couple pounds of pasta, and every flavor agent you could possibly imagine to season it with.

"Oh no, I'm going to starve, I can't buy any McD's or Taco Bell! Whatever will I do!? I know, all I need is some way to make a single pasta sauce, but I know nothing about food beyond dumping 50 gallons of stuff into a giant pot at SCA gatherings. Better ask for help."

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
op had rapeseed that's more action than he's seen since he was born lol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
And why does he have so many peppers if his wife won't eat peppers?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Just a reminder, this is what the OP thought was "borderline starvation" levels of food storage.

2 lbs of meat, a couple pounds of pasta, and every flavor agent you could possibly imagine to season it with.

"Oh no, I'm going to starve, I can't buy any McD's or Taco Bell! Whatever will I do!? I know, all I need is some way to make a single pasta sauce, but I know nothing about food beyond dumping 50 gallons of stuff into a giant pot at SCA gatherings. Better ask for help."

Yeah I'm glad you brought this up. It really makes the OP seem like a troll: "I have 2 pounds of beef and it has to last 3 days for two people... Oh my stars! What do I do?!?!""

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

corn in the bible posted:

And why does he have so many peppers if his wife won't eat peppers?

he keeps a stocked larder for when he has to feed the other serfs

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah I'm glad you brought this up. It really makes the OP seem like a troll: "I have 2 pounds of beef and it has to last 3 days for two people... Oh my stars! What do I do?!?!""

I would probably make a couple of burgers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I've been close to starving before with an empty "larder", but a pound of pasta and some olive oil with black pepper/spicy flavors was enough for several meals. Plus, if you scrape together a buck or two you can get some raw beans to cook and mix those in. I assume the OP and his wife are giant fat hambeasts who regularly feast beyond their means and once his monthly paycheck runs out its panic time.

Seriously, "several pounds of pasta" should be enough to last two adults for 3 days unless they each eat a pound a day.

Drunk Nerds posted:

2 lbs = 32 ounces.

A serving size is about 6 ounces, so that meat is about 5 servings. 3 days, figure 3 meals, but obviously not meat for breakfast lunch dinner so it should be enough. I guess the OP would probably demand all the meat so he can have the energy to power through his cannon making and blacksmithing hobbies while not making enough money to provide for his wife.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 27, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

pentyne posted:

Seriously, "several pounds of pasta" should be enough to last two adults for 3 days unless they each eat a pound a day.

a goon and his wife damsel

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

a dog from hell posted:

I would probably make a couple of burgers.

that's a good point, there's not enough vegetables for a good sauce but it's plenty for some pretty good burgers

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

corn in the bible posted:

that's a good point, there's not enough vegetables for a good sauce but it's plenty for some pretty good burgers

honestly you could probably go to the local grocer, talk to the manager for like 5 minutes, and just ask him to front you $5 worth of stuff and then just go back and pay ASAP

ofc, this guy would probably walk away with a thing of spices and a lunchables so :shrug:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

"i went out for supplies and i bought ten different kinds of oil"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

honestly you could probably go to the local grocer, talk to the manager for like 5 minutes, and just ask him to front you $5 worth of stuff and then just go back and pay ASAP

ofc, this guy would probably walk away with a thing of spices and a lunchables so :shrug:

"Good sir! I can offer trade in sturdy mail and stout weapons in exchange for your leftover grains and sundries! No, I am not a madman, merely a resolute member of a prestigious local hobbyist community who partake in recreational activities such as martial combat"

I asked the deli guys at my local Hispanic supermarket for soup bones, but they told me all they had were massive loving leg bones. They'd have given them to me for free but I don't have any use for them. OP probably has a broadsword he could use to hack them down into manageable sizes and make a hearty marrow soup from them.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

What kind of goon doesn't have a bone saw?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

The Sphinxster posted:

What kind of goon doesn't have a bone saw?

is that period appropriate?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

is that period appropriate?

I think pentyne is larping as a person who lives in current times so I'm going to go with yes. I'm ready to be wrong.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Sphinxster posted:

I think pentyne is larping as a person who lives in current times so I'm going to go with yes. I'm ready to be wrong.

Rising fuel costs have changed things so I've had to reluctantly accept a decline in the quality and expectation of lifestyle I'm accustomed to.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
pentyne is doing a good job role playing a sperg from gws but is still owning the op so there's that

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
One of my friends bought the thug kitchen cookbook :ughh:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

this made me lol and im gonna fuckin look this up ASAP

E: actually it seems pretty cool and if it appeals to a different demo and gets people cooking i think thats a good thing

i think i might pick this up myself as a coffee table book

Fetus Tree fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 27, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
:ughh:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Only good things can come from it

quote:

Trying to decide between chili or soup? F**k it, have both—and find harmony with hominy.

5 large dried guajillo or ancho chilies, toasted
2 cups warm water
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
8 oz tempeh, crumbled
2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
1 can hominy (29 oz)
1 zucchini, chopped
1 Tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
5 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
Juice of 1 lime

1. Throw chilies in the water and soak that poo poo for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove chilies but hang on to the water. Cut off chili tops, remove seeds, and chop those bastards up. Throw them in a blender or food processor with garlic, cocoa powder, and pepper water and blend until you have chili-garlic paste with no big-rear end chunks.
2. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute that poo poo for 2 minutes. Add tempeh and saute until both onion and tempeh start to brown, about 3 more minutes. Flavor with soy sauce.
3. Add hominy, zucchini, oregano, cumin, and salt. Stir that poo poo all together, then add chili-garlic paste. Toss it around so everything is well coated, then add broth. Cover that bastard and let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add maple syrup and lime juice. Taste that f**ker and adjust spices whatever f**king way you like it.
4. Serve hot with your favorite toppings, such as sliced cabbage, avocado, and green onions; radishes cut into matchsticks; cilantro; and lime wedges.

Makes enough for 6 hungry people, no f**king problem. Per serving: 270 cal, 8 g fat (1.5 g sat), 40 g carbs, 1,140 mg sodium*,9 g fiber, 12 g protein

*Yeah, that's a poo poo-ton of sodium, but if you make your own broth, it will be much lower..

Given the state of most people's "cooking" its a good thing if people buy it for the novelty and then try out the recipes. It seems to be "Don't be a lazy cheap gently caress, spend a tiny bit of time giving your body the good poo poo you loving manchild"

If making it "thug" gets people to not gulp down packages of instant soup mix and frozen food I don't see a problem with it.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
also soup with beans and hominy loving rules

thug lyfe

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Needs more Lipton soup packets.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
we shouldn't poo poo on OP for being a terrible cook, financial planner, or sweaty dingus in nerfbat armor

turns out there's far worse things for OP to be

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

whoflungpoop posted:

we shouldn't poo poo on OP for being a terrible cook, financial planner, or sweaty dingus in nerfbat armor

:eyepop:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

whoflungpoop posted:

:yikes:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

whoflungpoop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYEC4TZsy-Y

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

nice livejournal

In December of 2010 I finished up an accelerated college program to obtain a Technical Certificate in Welding. I amazed my friends and family by not only finally going to college, but by completing it, and doing it with a 3.2 GPA. I have the skills necessary to start a real career instead of just looking for jobs.

3.2 gpa
:chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
as adept at art as anything else it seems, for this jack of no trades

• Locked thread