Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Lonos Oboe posted:

I was reading the Forums on and off since 2001 maybe. Lost my old free account and decided to re-reg for the sub forums. I like Games, Dorkroom, Batman's Shameful secret and a few misc. threads. Over the last couple of years I have lost interest in GBS. It's a mixture of some solid threads with a decent roster of posters and contributors. other than that it's frustrating when you see a topic pop up that looks interesting and there are a bunch of snaky 1 line posts about it with any attempt at trying to create momentum ridiculed. It's always the rush to the pithy cynical remark I dunno that the forums are dying. Maybe just evolving with the times and tastes. I imagine social media and reddit or tumblr fill in a lot of those niches SA used to. Certainly a lot less users active than I remember.

i joined to read interesting and good posts like this one by the above quoted huge human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calbiyum
May 18, 2015
I always liked them and never knew why I never signed up then I had a visa gift card on my desk was drunk and well here I am. Also im loving gay

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I joined for coupons and deals

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

i think over the past few years we've probably gotten a lot of new people due to the lp subforum. it was the one thing keeping the site kinda relevant. seems like that sort of content has become less niche recently though, so nerds are getting it through youtube/twitch instead and we aren't seeing many newcomers

rip sa. dunno where to post when all you fuckers are gone. guess ill just kill myself

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i stole some guys computer and it had this website in his favourites

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

gnarlyhotep posted:

like I give a flying gently caress

Reddit mods vs SA mods who would win?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

thathonkey posted:

Reddit mods vs SA mods who would win?

there are like hundreds of reddit mods, no? (sub)human wave tactics would win every time.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Nah pretty sure SA somehow has more active mods. Seems crazy but i believe it is true

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

thathonkey posted:

Nah pretty sure SA somehow has more active mods. Seems crazy but i believe it is true

the guys on reddit aren't in the limelight but they're active, it's pretty easy to get shadowbanned from reddit. Even easier if it's one of the smaller subforums like r/relationships.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
That was a very subtle burn

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Never had an account (I hate moderators and get banned from 4chan constantly, anywhere I can get banned from I do) but I've browsed SA since I was literally 12. Used to be incredibly funny, you still see a funny article here and there but its overwhelmingly SJW tripe. Like that loving article about "ethics in cat journalism"

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/gamergate-with-cats/

There's not even a joke. We get it, le evil gamergate misogynists etc. This is pretty much the quality of what they publish now. If anything SA is a parable of how the hyper ironic underachieving 20 something personality ages in life: very poorly. Eventually you wake up and you're an unfunny bloated, balding 35 year old with no friends other than the other spiritually bankrupt trolls you shitpost with. That's SA in 2015.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

haris pilton posted:

That was a very subtle burn

my forte

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014

Equine Don posted:

Never had an account (I hate moderators and get banned from 4chan constantly, anywhere I can get banned from I do) but I've browsed SA since I was literally 12. Used to be incredibly funny, you still see a funny article here and there but its overwhelmingly SJW tripe. Like that loving article about "ethics in cat journalism"

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/gamergate-with-cats/

There's not even a joke. We get it, le evil gamergate misogynists etc. This is pretty much the quality of what they publish now. If anything SA is a parable of how the hyper ironic underachieving 20 something personality ages in life: very poorly. Eventually you wake up and you're an unfunny bloated, balding 35 year old with no friends other than the other spiritually bankrupt trolls you shitpost with. That's SA in 2015.

Sheez dude, you're harshing my mellow.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
lol if you ever go to https://www.somethingawful.com instead of http://forums.somethingawful.com in the year 2015

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gonna assume they're mistyping the url for the Something Lawful Lawyer Blog or something

MasterFister
May 5, 2015
I joined very recently because I like having pointless poo poo to read on the internet.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Goons with Spoons.

Only I usually lurk there and post here for I am unworthy and terrible.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Lots of smart poo poo, lots of dumb poo poo, less gratuitous niggerfaggotslut stuff.

When GBS gets slow there are always huge threads Ive never seen to discover....this week it's pseudoscience and dumb moves in marketing....these get moved into regular rotation.

Always lots of good pics in a variety of subcultures.

Always a good aggregator if something major happens.

Apart from a tendency to run poo poo into the ground it's a really useful friendly place and i can't quite imagine the internet without it.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Thunder Moose posted:

Goons with Spoons.

Only I usually lurk there and post here for I am unworthy and terrible.

real post spotted

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Thanks for clarifying. I kind of just assumed that considering it mentions that unbanning your account will not restore lost upgrades.

Also I recall seeing lowtax creating some thread where people had a 1/4 chance of being banned by posting in it and a 3/4 chance of getting some lovely avatar icon.
Thats a pretty scummy way to make money.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
I saw this:

in some stupid UrbEx thing I was watching with people that I didn't want to be around. I decided that wasting :10bux: was cheaper than killing them.

I was also drunk, much like everyone else here.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Wow so many new faces this is great

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i joined for the funny posts and dank memes

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i peed on my keyboard

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax

dad gay. so what posted:

i peed on my keyboard

funny posts like this one, LMAO!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I thought about joining 10 years ago but didn't, then a year ago I saw something dumb I wanted to comment on

Edit: I didn't have ten bucks then but I do now

• Locked thread