Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Most things Conor says seem to be unnecessarily racially charged, perhaps there is some explanation for this pattern of behavior........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Conor getting leg kick TKO'd will be The Best ThingTM.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Bluedeanie posted:

Most things Conor says seem to be unnecessarily racially charged, perhaps there is some explanation for this pattern of behavior........

As Jimmy Rabbitte said:

"The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once and say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud."

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
One(okay two) more for the MMA podcast list

Cheap seats with Jordan Breen and Greg Savage. Relaxed talks about past weeks topics with callers calling in.

Monday Morning Analyst/Live Chat with Luke Thomas. A lot of people here dont like Thomas but i find him okay. He takes questions from fans and comments on current events. Sometimes he can be pretty grumpy. He covers MMA/boxing/grappling

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Did you seriously just recommend a luke thomas podcast lmao

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i hate that guy more than anik

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
[norm voice]Who's that guy?

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
All I know about Luke Thomas is that funny picture with Tito. What's his deal and why does everyone hate him?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Luke Thomas looks and sounds like a douche.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

kensei posted:

Conor getting leg kick TKO'd will be The Best ThingTM.

And Conor will roll around in his money when he regains the ability to walk.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
him talking about Real Madrid is the worst

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

EmmyOk posted:

Old posts from McGregor back in 2011 when he used to post on the MMA-subforum of an Irish Board

http://www.balls.ie/mma/conor-mcgregor-cage-warriors-boardsie/295287
Thats a good flame post.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bluedeanie posted:

I'm a brown people and Conor is the coolest guy in mma. Before him it was Chael.

Also seconding Chael's podcast. I skip the pro wrestling ones but he's currently the best MMA journalist there is. His insight into steroids, rules and of course the stories are amazing.

He has the best opinion on stripping people of belts too, it's really worth a listen. Paraphrase: the super bowl is every year, if one team can't make it they forfeit and lose. They don't sit out and wait til they are healthy.

Imagine how cool it would be if every belt must be defended twice (or at least once a year). If you are out with a blown ACL, guess what? You aren't the best fighter in the world right now, so let other top fighters fight for it. When you recover come back and try to win it back. But it's ridiculous a guy can be out 18 months and still be the best fighter in the world while other guys are actually fighting and winning.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Yeah it'll be cool when Aldo leg kick tko's Conor just like the time he leg kick tko'd

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Dangersim posted:

Yeah it'll be cool when Aldo leg kick tko's Conor just like the time he leg kick tko'd

That Faber lasted the whole 25 minutes doesn't negate the fact that his corner was carrying him to the stool after the second.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Wise Learned Man posted:

That Faber lasted the whole 25 minutes doesn't negate the fact that his corner was carrying him to the stool after the second.

yeah that was in 2010

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The UFC has partnered up with USADA to handle the new drug testing program. USADA will handle everything: the protocol, who, when, where, how often, etc. The UFC will have no say in it other than how many tests overall are done and paying for the tests.

There is literally no one in all of North America more qualified to handle drug testing than USADA.

edit: 2,750 tests per year. This averages out to 5.5 per year per athlete

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Thats a good flame post.

I liked the bit about 2pac posters. Also cool to see he's always been brash and outspoken even before he was a cage warriors champion

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Dangersim posted:

What he did to Faber was worse than any leg kick tko I've seen.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chickpea Roar posted:

There was one Marlon Moraes fight, also quite ugly, which reminded me of Faber-Aldo.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

EmmyOk posted:

I liked the bit about 2pac posters. Also cool to see he's always been brash and outspoken even before he was a cage warriors champion

I'm surprised 2pac's music made it to Ireland as early as 2011

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pimp Cauldron posted:

I'm surprised 2pac's music made it to Ireland as early as 2011

He only has one song though not songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxYzjjs6d1s

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Northjayhawk posted:

The UFC has partnered up with USADA to handle the new drug testing program. USADA will handle everything: the protocol, who, when, where, how often, etc. The UFC will have no say in it other than how many tests overall are done and paying for the tests.

There is literally no one in all of North America more qualified to handle drug testing than USADA.

i predict a lot of guys are going to start getting worse cardio

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Northjayhawk posted:

:stare: though most should be reserved for the heavyweight division.

Still, if that is evenly distributed that means fighters will get tested at least twice per camp. That's pretty dang good.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The UFC also announced that they will have their own sanctions, which seem a little more lenient than NV. (So, we may someday have someone eligible to fight for the UFC but not in NV or any state that reciprocates with NV, so I guess they may have to fight overseas in some area that the UFC self-regulates)

Anabolic steroids, growth hormones, peptides, blood doping drugs and methods (tested for in- and out-of competition):

1st offense: 2 years (with possibility of 4 years for "aggravating circumstances")
2nd offense: Double the sanction for the 1st offense
3rd offense: Double the sanction for the 2nd offense

marijuana, cocaine, other stimulants and glucocorticosteroids (tested for in-competition only):

1st offense: 1 years (with possibility of 2 additional years for "aggravating circumstances")
2nd offense: Double the sanction for the 1st offense
3rd offense: Double the sanction for the 2nd offense

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Chickpea Roar posted:

That Faber got through that fight was a testament to how tough that dude is. Good christ, he should have been done after the second and it was almost sickening watching it go on. And the aftermath... wasn't Faber on crutches for a couple weeks? And there were serious concerns about massive blood clots loving up his lungs and brain? I can't remember it all, just reading about it back in the day.

Northjayhawk posted:

Anyone else get the sense there are going to be a lot of people getting caught for all sorts of poo poo for the next little while? I mean, you know the tests are coming, you know the guys who are doing the tests don't miss much and you know that the consequences are going to be horrifically dire... but you've never been caught before, so keep on going on. Even though instead of Joe's Discount Urine Testing Outlet running the program now it's the freaking USADA.

Never underestimate how stupid some fighters are and/or how ingrained doping is in their training culture.

EDIT: and seeing the sanctions, holy mother of hell would you have to be blinding idiotic to do anything stronger than pretty much whey powder. Unless you can afford the latest designer undetectable steroid available from whatever BALCO is now...

EDIT2: Sanctions are more lenient that Nevada, but getting eight years for the third steroid offence is pretty much life anyway...

acejackson42 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 3, 2015

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
"in-competition" has also been defined, it is the time period from 6 hours before weigh-in until 6 afters after the fight. So, I guess wait at least 7-8 hours before a celebratory smoke

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i predict a lot of guys are going to start getting worse cardio

Worse cardio, less definition, less power. It will be like a fun house hall of mirrors with Vitor in every view.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Northjayhawk posted:

"in-competition" has also been defined, it is the time period from 6 hours before weigh-in until 6 afters after the fight. So, I guess wait at least 7-8 hours before a celebratory smoke

Man, there goes the awesomeness that would be a post-fight Nick Diaz reclining on a couch in the dressing room with a 'Nick is Numero Uno' shirt smoking the largest spliff this side of Snoop's house.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I like how they didn't even bother to define a sanction for a 4th steroid offense. After 14 cumulative years, its pretty likely that you'll be too old to compete after serving all that time, and it might be easier to get 8 years to stick if somehow legally challenged than "life" which a court might think is arbitrary.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

So where's UFC going to come up with the money for all this? And how are they going to keep fighters under contract? Between this and the mythical reekbok uniforms, I don't see what the incentive is for up and coming fighters to stay under Zuffa.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

coconono posted:

So where's UFC going to come up with the money for all this? And how are they going to keep fighters under contract? Between this and the mythical reekbok uniforms, I don't see what the incentive is for up and coming fighters to stay under Zuffa.

how much do you think guys in bellator are making

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
interesting that they're announcing they'll test for peptides, since that's an area where the drug tests are guaranteed to be a million years behind the cheaters

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

coconono posted:

Unless sponsors are willing to pony up big money for that sweet Spike exposure, I'm not sure if they have an alternative

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

coconono posted:

I don't think paying for this is a problem for the UFC anymore. The days of money troubles are long behind this organization.

They're going to keep fighters under contract because where the hell else are they going to go? Bellator and the WSOF are the definition of minor leagues at this point, no matter how much they might not want you to think so. You want to make money and fight the best then you sign with the UFC and get off the drugs.

Until a viable alternative comes up, it is what it is. Oh, and good luck to the org that comes around with 'less drug testing' as a policy to attract fighters. I'm sure that's really going to fly.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

interesting that they're announcing they'll test for peptides, since that's an area where the drug tests are guaranteed to be a million years behind the cheaters

At least it's something, though. At least the USADA will have a better idea of what to look for, in theory.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

acejackson42 posted:

I don't think paying for this is a problem for the UFC anymore. The days of money troubles are long behind this organization.

They're going to keep fighters under contract because where the hell else are they going to go? Bellator and the WSOF are the definition of minor leagues at this point, no matter how much they might not want you to think so. You want to make money and fight the best then you sign with the UFC and get off the drugs.

Until a viable alternative comes up, it is what it is. Oh, and good luck to the org that comes around with 'less drug testing' as a policy to attract fighters. I'm sure that's really going to fly.

worked for PRIDE.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Wow If there's one thing I've wanted over the last few years in MMA it's more canceled fights and worse fighters. This seems like a win all around.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

acejackson42 posted:

At least it's something, though. At least the USADA will have a better idea of what to look for, in theory.

The thing with peptides is that bodybuilders are willing to try them out basically as soon as they know it won't kill them within 3 days. Guys are using drugs years before they're even approved for human use (if that ever happens) so developing a test is waaaaaaay out of the picture. Which is fine in the olympics if you're gonna freeze stuff forever and have an incentive to stomp on a guy's career years after the fact, but it'll never happen here. It's a really weird and fascinating area of sports and nutrition science, the bodybuilders are really hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

coconono posted:

worked for PRIDE.

It would not work today. If the popular outrage in today's environment where fans generally want drug testing doesn't kill the idea, then government regulators would probably step in.

• Locked thread