Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

Because British Fighting and fighters are bad on principle

See; Michael Bisping, Dan Hardy.

Andre Winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I was sad to see Tim Elliot gone. His fight with Dodson will forever own.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

There is no way those people were in this forum

They absolutely existed and I am happy to testify to that effect.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Mine's probably Anthony Perosh.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

i just rewatched that round and nothing, besides the punch that sat him on his rear end, was dangerous and gil reasserted control in a matter of about 20seconds.

20 Seconds of getting punched in the face is a long time. Even if it's by Diego Sanchez.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I think Raquel Pennington is gay, too. Tons of em in Invicta. e. like that one who did the really cool jumping hook kick KO and who is now 2-0.

Christine Stanley

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Also, since early 2012, Fabricio has managed to have one more fight. He's not Donald Cerrone.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Heavyweight is the garbage division. It's full of guys who won't cut weight, guys who can't cut weight and like, 3 good fighters. Mark Hunt is somewhere in the sweet spot of that Venn diagram.

But yeah, altitude is a killer. My girlfriend, Mexican and currently very sad, talks about how walking down the street in Mexico city is tiring, the air is so thin. Cain only spent two weeks there, the big idiot.

There'll be a rematch, because it's heavyweight and you could count the number of people in it that matter on one hand. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it went differently.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

lhw and the two womens divisions are worse

Light Heavyweight is, yes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I remember hearing that it was a standing KO before I saw it, and just assuming that was a typo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

manyak posted:

the altitude thing is stupid. It sucks that thats all the people will take out of that fight when it would have looked the same anywhere else and theres cool stuff to analyze in it

Saying it was the only factor is indeed dumb. Werdum put on the best performance of his career in that fight and spent months at altitude preparing (I vaguely remember hearing something about him being there for three months) To deny it was a factor is equally silly when Mexico city is the same altitude as Colorado Springs.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Colorado Springs: elevation, 6035 ft, highest elevation 7200 ft.

Mexico City: elevation 7380 ft, highest elevation 12890 ft..

But yeah. Even with that cardio differential, Cain would have finished nearly any other UFC HW in the first round. Werdum did some good poo poo there.

That really works better as an indictment of the rest of the division, but I see your point.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The best part, which I didn't notice the first time, was when Carla tries to fake a takedown to set up some punches, and just eats another really hard right hand.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Can they give Machida an easy fight now? There's no shortage of bad, unremarkable fighters at middleweight. Just let him beat up one of the 800 guys called "Pitbull" or something.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Then you just market it as "X fighter given a big step up in competition" then Machida kills him and I don't have to cry.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Seltzer posted:

I think Lyoto was/is not as good or bad as people think. He used to fight at LHW and despite being undersized, that weight class has always sucked aside from maybe 4 fighters at a given time so he did reasonably well at 205. On the other hand all of the fighters that Lyoto has lost to recently at middleweight have been really really good. So I don't think he was really amazing then or really bad now. I think he's been pretty consistent but on a bit of a slide. People talking about Yoel's age aren't taking fight years into account. Yoel has only fought 11 times, started in 2009, and has only lost once. He's not as beat down as Machida and is still very quick for his age.

Romero is also Cuban, which is like a genetic cheat code. This is according to my totally not racist Mexican girlfriend.

Shumagorath posted:

I want to see more main events that end like his fight with Dolloway. That kick sounded like a gunshot.

The danger of going to the lead leg repeatedly is that a guy like Romero can eat the kick and catch it for a takedown. Hell here's what he can do when you put your foot somewhere predictable:

The Dolloway fight was really comforting. In a world where Werdum is a good striker and Luke Rockhold might actually be as good as he is handsome, that fight went exactly the way it was expected to.

And holy poo poo Romero is magic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MysteryNad posted:

Machida still looks as good as he always did. He's just 37 and past the point where he has noticeable improvement between fights. The talent level is passing him by. When he was on his first run to the title he was facing guys who didn't know what a jab or a feint was, or that you can avoid strikes by moving to the side instead of fleeing backwards into the cage. He also always had incredible timing, but he never developed the kind of power that Anderson had. The guys he has knocked out have bad chins or terrible defense. The only guy with good defense/chin that he finished was Franklin and that was a perfectly timed kick and he was at heavyweight.

That's why, in retrospect, the Bader fight is a little misleading. This enigmatic fighter with the unique style had sort of been figured out, and Bader elected to jump at him with haymakers as if Machida's entire career hadn't happened.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Man, I'm glad its accepted that Jones' punch hurt Machida. There was a long time when it was just owed to Jones suddenly remembering to wrestle.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
That came about three weeks after this board taught me what a poo poo person Couture is.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pimp Cauldron posted:

for instance he landed that same jumping knee that he did against tito, except tito died

Tito has a glass torso. Which lead to Little Nog defeating him via broken heart.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dangersim posted:

if you weren't watching at the time I can't explain how crazy and cool it was that a karate master of all people suddenly started loving everyone up and seemed unbeatable

Kind of like BJ Penn. On paper, Penn doesn't look as impressive, but in his Lightweight run, he seemed absolutely untouchable.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dangersim posted:

tito had like 5 fights in a row where he got hurt with body shots and it ruled

This picture will never not own.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

Pretty sure Cain Velasquez makes everybody's greatest ever list and he's one loss away from having the exact same *win rate* as Lyoto Machida post winning the belt.

The point dude is great fighters lose all the time especially after reaching the top. Analyzing the performance is more important than figuring wins over losses. Like there's no shame in Machida losing the Weidman fight the way he did. gently caress just watch that last 10 second barrage where he threw every strike he had in him at Weidman to try and get the finish.

And fighters who do end up with crazy long win streaks usually have some qualifiers in there. Whether its fighting poo poo fighters in amongst the good ones or promoter shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

"Boy I'm looking forward to Phil Davis fighting this weekend!"

some poo poo nobody has ever said, even us devout Jon Fitch fans.

Jon Fitch at least had the sick walkout, and the GSP and Erick Silva fights.

• Locked thread