Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Radiohead71 posted:

Glad this show is back. I really liked S1. Premiere seemed to be all over the place, but I guess that makes sense since most of the major characters are doing different things. Will there be any significance to the nose bleed I wonder (health issue)?

Dude's a coke fiend. I'd imagine its foreshadowing that becoming a big issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Athenry posted:

Dude's a coke fiend. I'd imagine its foreshadowing that becoming a big issue.

Ahh, my bad, I guess I didn't connect the dots.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Radiohead71 posted:

Ahh, my bad, I guess I didn't connect the dots.

It's not blatant but when that guy in the bar was relating the story about how he went batshit trying to find and turn off the music Gordon had literally no recollection of it and you're supposed to realize that he was blacked out on coke at the time and going crazy, like everyone else was. Coke is also something you probably don't just stop doing so now Gordon no longer has a high stress high pressure job but has the coke habit that came with it so he's going to combust as a retired man.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
The Fictitious Giant commercial was perfect 80's TV campiness.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy balls I did NOT expect Gordon to throw away his coke like that. This episode was awesome.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

DivisionPost posted:

Holy balls I did NOT expect Gordon to throw away his coke like that. This episode was awesome.

This show is getting so much better. I liked it from the start, and I acknowledged the flaws. Glad to see they're trying to fix what dragged down the first season.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
James Cromwell out of nowhere.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Lee Pace nailed that perfect look of incredulity and crestfallen-ness when he learned about the Data Entry job.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Loving the new season. Cast remains ridiculously good. Toby Huss's restrained sadness at the end with Cameron broke my heart a little bit.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Why in the world were they putting back doors in their code? Like what reason could they possibly have had for that? Also pretty surprised it took Gordon to come in and propose the brilliant idea of... time-stamping each player's button presses and then comparing them.

I really enjoyed this episode, though. Season 2 is already way better than last season.

Just those two things really stood out, especially in a show where the tech stuff has been pretty spot-on. Like near the beginning of the episode, when Cameron was criticizing YoYo's code, that wasn't meaningless technobabble. It sounded like he had a bunch of extraneous branching in performance critical code, in an era where compilers weren't nearly as efficient as they are now.

Wait I answered my own question. Mutiny is 99% lovely programmers. Ok I get it now.

I enjoyed seeing Gordon leaf through K&R. That was cool.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DARPA Dad posted:

Why in the world were they putting back doors in their code? Like what reason could they possibly have had for that? Also pretty surprised it took Gordon to come in and propose the brilliant idea of... time-stamping each player's button presses and then comparing them.

I really enjoyed this episode, though. Season 2 is already way better than last season.

Just those two things really stood out, especially in a show where the tech stuff has been pretty spot-on. Like near the beginning of the episode, when Cameron was criticizing YoYo's code, that wasn't meaningless technobabble. It sounded like he had a bunch of extraneous branching in performance critical code, in an era where compilers weren't nearly as efficient as they are now.

Wait I answered my own question. Mutiny is 99% lovely programmers. Ok I get it now.

I enjoyed seeing Gordon leaf through K&R. That was cool.

Everyone at Mutiny is treating it like a "lol let's have fun nothing matters" job and that it still manages to functions is only due to the fact that 20 poo poo immature coders can put together a working product only because no one is tearing it down and yelling at them to get their poo poo together and make it better.

Gordon manages to point out an essential flaw in seconds after seeing it on their service, and the neighborhood hacker guy is basically light-years ahead of them but is just toying with them as a hobby because he loves the concept. He could come in and make 1/2 of the staff obsolete in a day because he's a serious human being not some "HOLY gently caress DIG DUG 2 JUST CAME IN" person.

The whole "hey let's read Bosworth's last letter from loving prison" is about as apt as you can get for the kind of people Cam hired. They live in a haze of video games, pizza on demand, and general irresponsibility and wouldn't last 3 months in a serious, professionally run environment.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

pentyne posted:

They live in a haze of video games, pizza on demand, and general irresponsibility and wouldn't last 3 months in a serious, professionally run environment.

If you haven't seen it, check out the documentary Atari: Game Over which I think is on Netflix. It gives a pretty decent look into the environment people were working in, and a lot of it was nerds partying and dicking off, even at Atari. Game companies at that time were pretty chaotically run organizations of very smart, curious people kind of winging it. The guy at the center of that doc, the poor sap who wrote E.T. but also made a few other really good games, basically just walked away from it and became a therapist. It was a very different time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

pentyne posted:

The whole "hey let's read Bosworth's last letter from loving prison" is about as apt as you can get for the kind of people Cam hired. They live in a haze of video games, pizza on demand, and general irresponsibility and wouldn't last 3 months in a serious, professionally run environment.
Still relevant 30 years later, apparently.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

This show is quickly rocketing to the top of my favorite shows on this year. The characters are the same but the online game startup angle is a lot more interesting than building the first home computer from the last season was.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Just gonna reiterate that this season has really ramped things up, Cameron actually has some depth now.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

pentyne posted:

Everyone at Mutiny is treating it like a "lol let's have fun nothing matters" job and that it still manages to functions is only due to the fact that 20 poo poo immature coders can put together a working product only because no one is tearing it down and yelling at them to get their poo poo together and make it better.

Gordon manages to point out an essential flaw in seconds after seeing it on their service, and the neighborhood hacker guy is basically light-years ahead of them but is just toying with them as a hobby because he loves the concept. He could come in and make 1/2 of the staff obsolete in a day because he's a serious human being not some "HOLY gently caress DIG DUG 2 JUST CAME IN" person.

I get all this but I still don't understand why they put backdoors in. That isn't something you do on accident. You have to make a conscious decision to do that.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

DARPA Dad posted:

I get all this but I still don't understand why they put backdoors in. That isn't something you do on accident. You have to make a conscious decision to do that.

These aren't professional programmers. Back doors make things easy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DARPA Dad posted:

*sighs*

The first thing Cameron said after getting the guys to admit they'd put backdoors in was "did you tell anyone about them," to which all of them basically replied "uh, nope nope nope huhuhuhuh :stare:" almost in unison.

They put the backdoors in because if there's one thing that's stayed true ever since someone first decided to play a game over a BBS - "it's good to have a GM as a friend." The backdoors were there so the friends of the employees could play for free. Remember the 'new guy' was only signed in on 12 slots, but there were something like 130 people connected over 80 modems. Other people were doing the same damned thing, it's just 'new guy' was doing it the most.

I like the new guy - I just hope they don't turn him into a derailing element for Cameron/Catherine.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 9, 2015

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Edited the OP, put a little effort into it.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

*sighs*

The first thing Cameron said after getting the guys to admit they'd put backdoors in was "did you tell anyone about them," to which all of them basically replied "uh, nope nope nope huhuhuhuh :stare:" almost in unison.

They put the backdoors in because if there's one thing that's stayed true ever since someone first decided to play a game over a BBS - "it's good to have a GM as a friend." The backdoors were there so the friends of the employees could play for free. Remember the 'new guy' was only signed in on 12 slots, but there were something like 130 people connected over 80 modems. Other people were doing the same damned thing, it's just 'new guy' was doing it the most.

I like the new guy - I just hope they don't turn him into a derailing element for Cameron/Catherine.

thanks for the explanation

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm just now starting tonight's ep, but I see Gordon's growing the beard back. A good start!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I trudged through the first season but this season has really become quite amazing.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

So that's where the rule of never putting beta code on live servers came from.

Thought the episode was great, and that panic attack scene was fantastic.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is Joe going to invent the idea of renting server time or just steal it? I can't tell if he's leaning more towards S1 crazy Joe or re-inventing himself.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

pentyne posted:

Is Joe going to invent the idea of renting server time or just steal it? I can't tell if he's leaning more towards S1 crazy Joe or re-inventing himself.

I really hope he's going to reinvent himself, I hated last season Joe.

I cant be the only one who hates Cameron right? I keep hoping Donna tell her to grow the gently caress up and if she wants to run a business then loving run it and stop screwing around. Poor Gordon, he's totally going to have a major health issue isnt he? First he couldnt open that can of jolt and then he couldnt unplug his computer when he got home. This season is a whole lot better than last season.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

I really hope he's going to reinvent himself, I hated last season Joe.

I cant be the only one who hates Cameron right? I keep hoping Donna tell her to grow the gently caress up and if she wants to run a business then loving run it and stop screwing around. Poor Gordon, he's totally going to have a major health issue isnt he? First he couldnt open that can of jolt and then he couldnt unplug his computer when he got home. This season is a whole lot better than last season.

No, Cameron is still a special snowflake who lives in a cloud of delusion and immediately goes to the "WE'RE THE FUTURE YOU JUST HATE US FOR BEING SPECIAL". Gordon did gently caress up and sandbag their system but it was pretty obviously a mistake yet Cameron goes off on a tirade and blames Donna too.

Cameron is supposed to be super smart or something, but has she literally not bothered with how the bills are getting paid this entire time? Their electric bill must be close to $1k and her bright ideas are to just steal from the neighbors and not worry. I thought she get hit in the face with reality by now but even after Donna snapping at her every episode it now results in Cameron's passive-agressive "If you pay our bills again I'll fire you" rather then "how secure are our finances?". For all her talk Cameron has consistently and repeatedly been shown as the girl who wants the world to bow down to her genius without any realistic perspective on life.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gordon is probably gonna get brain cancer or something this season, and it's gonna be a loving mega bummer. :(

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gonz posted:

Gordon is probably gonna get brain cancer or something this season, and it's gonna be a loving mega bummer. :(

Probably Parkinson's or MS. Both of which would be traumatic as gently caress for someone who needs their brains and their hands to do what they love. You think his coke problem was bad before now imagine how bad it gets when his literal life's passion is taken from him piece by piece.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

ThaGrandCow posted:

So that's where the rule of never putting beta code on live servers came from.

Tom is the one who sabotaged their network, not Gordon, so it doesn't really matter. Everything about his character and role in the plot has guaranteed he'd pull a stunt like that and if it's not obvious enough refer to Donna and Gordon's deferred conversation about what, exactly, went wrong with Sonaris. Chekhov wept.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I don't understand the ending of the last episode because I don't understand computers. Also, I don't think anything is wrong with Gordon physically, I think he's withdrawing from Cocaine probably. Don't think he has a health problem. Maybe a brain tumour ?

Someone said Joe was going to "rent" server time?

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

Tom is the one who sabotaged their network, not Gordon, so it doesn't really matter. Everything about his character and role in the plot has guaranteed he'd pull a stunt like that and if it's not obvious enough refer to Donna and Gordon's deferred conversation about what, exactly, went wrong with Sonaris. Chekhov wept.

That's something I hadn't even thought about, and if it's true then drat. Hopefully next episode we learn for sure or not. My guess is still that it was just Gordon making a stupid mistake, but I would be happy to see that it was Tom instead.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I have no idea what the big lightbulb moment Joe had in the server room is supposed to be about. Wasn't he supposed to fire those people and be the new boss?

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Time sharing isn't really an 80s thing but I think that's what they were getting at.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jake Armitage posted:

Time sharing isn't really an 80s thing but I think that's what they were getting at.

My guess is that Joe's realized that all the 'leaky' data (specifically the number-crunching) could be analyzed while no one's around - save a sysadmin to make sure the boxes keep running smoothly.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Keyser S0ze posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639990&pagenumber=12#lastpost

he does own

Did Dallas/Austin/Houston actually have kooky house startups like California? I just don't see them being able to do that poo poo in some Dallas neighborhood.

Haha I bought a hot Apple IIe from a dude in a van back in 1983, that stuff really did happen.....good times.

id games!

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

obeyasia posted:

id games!

Texas is the silicon prairie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Prairie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Stories_%28film%29

quote:

The film features Byrne as an unnamed, cowboy-hat-wearing stranger who visits the fictional Texas town of Virgil, where he observes the citizens as they prepare for the Celebration of Special-ness to mark the sesquicentennial (i.e. 150th) anniversary of the founding of the town and Texas independence from Mexico. The event is being sponsored by the Varicorp Corporation, a local computer manufacturing plant. Byrne's narration often breaks the fourth wall, especially while he is driving around town in his Chrysler LeBaron convertible. At other times, sequences are filmed in a documentary style with Byrne's character as host.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

pentyne posted:

It's not blatant but when that guy in the bar was relating the story about how he went batshit trying to find and turn off the music Gordon had literally no recollection of it and you're supposed to realize that he was blacked out on coke at the time and going crazy, like everyone else was. Coke is also something you probably don't just stop doing so now Gordon no longer has a high stress high pressure job but has the coke habit that came with it so he's going to combust as a retired man.

There was also a vial of coke when Gordon was cleaning out his office.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jake Armitage posted:

If you haven't seen it, check out the documentary Atari: Game Over which I think is on Netflix. It gives a pretty decent look into the environment people were working in, and a lot of it was nerds partying and dicking off, even at Atari. Game companies at that time were pretty chaotically run organizations of very smart, curious people kind of winging it. The guy at the center of that doc, the poor sap who wrote E.T. but also made a few other really good games, basically just walked away from it and became a therapist. It was a very different time.

I was incredibly disappointed in it. The documentary you're describing is only 20% of it; the rest is a huge Who Gives A gently caress about whether or not they really buried a bunch of E.T. cartridges in a landfill.

I would watch a documentary about the making of that documentary. Specifically, how you get funding for an archaeological excavation to dig up mass-produced garbage from the 80s. Actually, can anyone recommend any documentaries about the early days of home computers and video games? That's what I really wanted to see. I was stunned that they had the opportunity to do that and instead they literally squandered it playing in a trash heap.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 19, 2015

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hollismason posted:

I don't understand the ending of the last episode because I don't understand computers. Also, I don't think anything is wrong with Gordon physically, I think he's withdrawing from Cocaine probably. Don't think he has a health problem. Maybe a brain tumour ?

Someone said Joe was going to "rent" server time?

I honestly think it's pretty obvious that Gordon has bad carpal tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My guess is that Joe's realized that all the 'leaky' data (specifically the number-crunching) could be analyzed while no one's around - save a sysadmin to make sure the boxes keep running smoothly.

It's a play on how a huge internet company got started, at least I think that's where they are going:

It's a play on how compuserve actually got started, much earlier I think though, they basically started providing service for an insurance company in-house then used the down time during the evening hours to sell connectivity.

Wiki:
The consumer information service had been developed almost clandestinely, in 1978, and marketed as MicroNET through Radio Shack. Many within the company did not favor the project; it was called schlock time-sharing by the commercial time-sharing sales force. It was allowed to exist initially because consumers used the computers during evening hours, when the CompuServe computers were otherwise idle.

The corporate culture was entrepreneurial, encouraging "skunkworks projects". Alexander "Sandy" Trevor secluded himself for a weekend, writing the "CB Simulator", a chat system that soon became one of CIS's most popular features.

• Locked thread