Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Kind of amazing how much this show has improved from the first season. Looks like the ratings aren't reflecting that at all, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

kdrudy posted:

Cameron is really the only character I dislike right now. She's going to be the sole reason Mutiny tanks by the end of the season.

Bosworth will figure out how to save it because Bosworth is the man.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

The last four episodes have been Cameron doing something stupid and then crying or sulking or doubling down on doing stupid things. It's pretty tedious at this point.

Edit: Four episodes at least

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The season is obviously going to end with Cameron launching her super forward-thinking FPS only to be overshadowed by the NES launching. I should have posted this earlier, as it was a more impressive observation before Nintendo actually appeared in the show.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Comrade Fakename posted:

The season is obviously going to end with Cameron launching her super forward-thinking FPS only to be overshadowed by the NES launching. I should have posted this earlier, as it was a more impressive observation before Nintendo actually appeared in the show.

No, her boyfriend is going to realize she'll gently caress up the implementation and pitch/sell the idea to a more competent company. So she'll get "Joe'd" twice in a row.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Uh, that doesn't make any sense though.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Fakename posted:

Nah, I think the Nintendo thing is trying to show them living in their own little box of super nerd stuff. Cokey McBeard didn't seem to have any interest in it even though all the computers they use are basically hooked up to TVs too. It's like they are being shorted sighted on purpose to push the plot. It's a kid's toy not a 'real computer' Also, it's 1985 right, so many it'll play in a future episode because it was just released in the US.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Plinkey posted:

Nah, I think the Nintendo thing is trying to show them living in their own little box of super nerd stuff. Cokey McBeard didn't seem to have any interest in it even though all the computers they use are basically hooked up to TVs too. It's like they are being shorted sighted on purpose to push the plot. It's a kid's toy not a 'real computer' Also, it's 1985 right, so many it'll play in a future episode because it was just released in the US.

I can see it now.

"Hey Cameron I figured out a way to hook a modem up to the Nintendo console, and I've got Lev working on a cartridge that would allow their box to interface with our system. It could be a real game-changer."

"Did...did you just say CARTRIDGE? WE AREN'T IN THE CARTRIDGE BUSINESS. WE'RE PIONEERING ~INTERACTIVE GAMING EXPERIENCES~ HERE. YOU CAN'T EVEN HOOK UP A KEYBOARD TO THIS loving THING gently caress YOU AAAAAAAAA YOU'RE FIRED EVERYONE'S FIRED!"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Season 2 ends with a crestfallen Cameron being sucked into the Mutiny network via a high powered laser she stole from Westgroup, and then the MCP tells Sark he wants her in the games until she dies.

End of Line.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Bos and Cam are the best :3 I like the relationship they have. Best moment of the episode was Bosworth getting flustered when he realized the one programmer was gay. "Well poo poo, I got a cousin..." before sputtering out of the room.

This scene is so perfectly awkward.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Kind of amazing how much this show has improved from the first season. Looks like the ratings aren't reflecting that at all, unfortunately.

Right now H&CF is one of the my favorite shows on TV. For some reason it just clicked with me (even season 1). That said I have a bad feeling it will not make it to season 3 with ratings even being lower than season 1. Maybe AMC will be stubborn, and keep it around. I doubt it, but stranger things have happen (I guess we will not know until after the season).

I do wonder what the viewership has been for season 1 on Netflix. I know several people that binged watched it, but who are not currently watching season 2. They are just waiting for season 2 to show on Netflix.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

nate fisher posted:

Right now H&CF is one of the my favorite shows on TV. For some reason it just clicked with me (even season 1). That said I have a bad feeling it will not make it to season 3 with ratings even being lower than season 1. Maybe AMC will be stubborn, and keep it around. I doubt it, but stranger things have happen (I guess we will not know until after the season).

I do wonder what the viewership has been for season 1 on Netflix. I know several people that binged watched it, but who are not currently watching season 2. They are just waiting for season 2 to show on Netflix.

I would think it'd depend on how AMC's other properties are doing. How are TURN, Humans, and Hell On Wheels doing, ratings-wise?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Humans feels like something CBS or Fox would do as a fall premier.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Jealous Cow posted:

Humans feels like something CBS or Fox would do as a fall premier.

Where the episodes would air out of order and on varying schedules before getting unceremoniously cancelled but still managing to retain a decent sized cult-following :v:

Popper
Nov 15, 2006

One thing that I really like about this show is how the tech visionaries are going to end up making crappy derivative products.

When you hear Joe talk about leasing mainframe time he makes it sound like it's AWS. Cameron makes a fairly rough idea for a game sound like Doom. Donna is running 30 chat rooms and we read in that she's going to invent Facebook.

The thing which is cool about tech is that ideas tend to be around for 10-20 years before the technology exists, before the market exists and before someone has the genius to make a product that brings the first in to the second.

It's been really easy to roll your eyes and say hey another billion dollar idea this week, but ideas mean jack if you can't physically build them and I think this season is going to end with everyone failing to live up to the promise that we know their ideas had in hindsight, mainly for reasons as simple as less than 1% of america is online how were you going to build a social network? Or why did you think you could run a fps over the internet in the 80s?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Popper posted:

One thing that I really like about this show is how the tech visionaries are going to end up making crappy derivative products.

When you hear Joe talk about leasing mainframe time he makes it sound like it's AWS. Cameron makes a fairly rough idea for a game sound like Doom. Donna is running 30 chat rooms and we read in that she's going to invent Facebook.

The thing which is cool about tech is that ideas tend to be around for 10-20 years before the technology exists, before the market exists and before someone has the genius to make a product that brings the first in to the second.

It's been really easy to roll your eyes and say hey another billion dollar idea this week, but ideas mean jack if you can't physically build them and I think this season is going to end with everyone failing to live up to the promise that we know their ideas had in hindsight, mainly for reasons as simple as less than 1% of america is online how were you going to build a social network? Or why did you think you could run a fps over the internet in the 80s?

You are forgetting that these things really happened, facebook and AWS didnt just appear out of thin air. Tech builds on existing tech. This is an alternate reality that is trying to explain the digital revolution starting in the 80s.

Edit: you can run FPS over very slow internet speeds, gfx are handled locally and the server just tracks players.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
I mentioned Maze War earlier in the thread, but yeah they aren't talking about CoD or Doom here, they are talking about a primitive FPS game, and this one ran over the network in the 70s. There was a scene in the last episode where they were discussing the game and it was on screen in the background -- Maze War is the kind of game they are making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-GY3bO0YsI

They also aren't talking about Facebook or AWS. Everything they are coming up with on this show was a real thing in the 80s (so far).

Popper
Nov 15, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

You are forgetting that these things really happened, facebook and AWS didnt just appear out of thin air. Tech builds on existing tech. This is an alternate reality that is trying to explain the digital revolution starting in the 80s.

Edit: you can run FPS over very slow internet speeds, gfx are handled locally and the server just tracks players.

Sorry, this is actually pretty much what I meant. Facebook and AWS didn't appear out of thin air. But it sure as hell didn't follow that our games company has chat rooms so we're going to blow up to be AOL. This show is kind of about the big dreams and the limited success of those dreams. It's awesome.
Or maybe Cameron is Carmack and she will make Doom or something.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

I would think it'd depend on how AMC's other properties are doing. How are TURN, Humans, and Hell On Wheels doing, ratings-wise?

Hell on Wheels is the biggest thing on TV bar The Walking Dead. I can't believe more people don't know about it, if TWD didn't exist Hell on Wheels would be front page every season as "TV's Biggest Hit"

Humans is a British showed being ported to the US at the same time, so anything more then a million viewers is considered loving amazing.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Popper posted:

our games company has chat rooms so we're going to blow up to be AOL.

CompuServe. We're still too early for AOL, which I believe didn't really appear until the 90s. I could be wrong though that's about when I remember it.

Interesting bit from CompuServe's wiki page:

quote:

The company objectives were twofold: to provide in-house computer processing support to Golden United Life Insurance; and to develop as an independent business in the computer time-sharing industry, by renting time on its PDP-10 midrange computers during business hours.

To be honest, this could have been fairly common back then. I know time sharing was a thing, but I don't know what kind of companies were doing it and how besides the obvious insurance companies and such. I was about 9 when this show takes place.

Anyway, I think they are really taking these story lines from a bunch of product and company histories and kind of cramming them together into one semi-coherent and mostly preposterous thread. Not that I'm not digging it, but its definitely coming off a lot more grandiose than reality.

I was trying to sell my dad on this show last weekend, and he told me he still has his old Compaq Portable. I dug through the garage and found my old c128. I kind of wish this show would take off so these might be worth something, but I guess its not looking good so far.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Show rules, season 1 was great and season 2 is even better. I can't wait for it to be cancelled!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

r0ck0 posted:

It's kind of amazing to me that people were willing to pay $8 an hour in 1985 money to play those games.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jake Armitage posted:

I dug through the garage and found my old c128. I kind of wish this show would take off so these might be worth something, but I guess its not looking good so far.

I've still got a working metal-cased Commodore 128DCR. It's 'rare' as far as computers go, but in this case 'rare' means ~$150-200, provided you get a buyer, plus old computers are generally pretty costly to ship because they were heavy.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 3, 2015

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

So with the latest episode, Joe wants to make Comcast?

This Gordon plotline is terrible, feels like they're shoehorning in crappy stories just to keep him in the script for the season.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ThaGrandCow posted:

So with the latest episode, Joe wants to make Comcast?

This Gordon plotline is terrible, feels like they're shoehorning in crappy stories just to keep him in the script for the season.

Gordon is a dying man flailing in the wind.

Joe realizes that Mutiny is a cabal of high level tech geniuses and that owning them outright but being as hands off as possible would result in a ton of new IP that Northwest will directly profit off of. Things won't work out as well as that, probably because Cameron would rather salt the earth and burn the house down then agree to corporate ownership.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I really liked the start of this season but the past few episodes have really been repeating themselves, which doesn't make sense in such a short-lived show with so little time left. The characters seem stuck in the same petty squabbles and Mutiny hasn't visibly progressed in quite a while. Whatever its flaws season one at least managed to keep you updated on the Giant's constant progress in a pretty clean way. Maybe Mutiny being in a quagmire is the point, but its not making for a riveting season structure. They'll have to do something big soon to keep this season on track, thankfully this is about where Season One really stepped up so hopefully that's coming. Joe being an actual villain might just be that thing.

As for Gordon, it's a different, vestigial show that he's in but I love Scoot enough that I'm more than willing to watch his backwoods adventures. They do sort of need to either kill him off or have him invent the iWatch or something though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I really dislike what they've done with Gordon; his ineptitude isn't really endearing enough to balance his selfishness, and we've already got Joe Draper as a complicated antagonist-slash-protagonist.

The problems for him and Donna - individually and as a couple - also feel like some lab experiment to add as much tension and conflict more than a compelling narrative. I was totally on board with the show two or three episodes when it was just 613 things weighing down on them, but it's getting ridiculous at this point. Especially when there's Cameron to throw gasoline on top of everything else. It's beginning to feel like conflict for the sake of conflict.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I genuinely really like Gordo, I think this season is way better than the first. You can see it in everyone though, Cameron, Gordon, Gordons Wife, Joe they're all trying to catch just fire or something that's going to change the world and they all see glimpses of it but can't see the whole picture. It's like knowing there's a shadow under the water but you dunno if it's a shark or just some seaweed. Really been enjoying this season.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Didn't like the way the writers went with Donna. I always felt like she had competent business senses and that negotiation was just over-the-top stupidity. Equally disliked Joe's extreme and needlessly machiavellian tactics for what seemed like extracting simple concessions. Whole thing seemed overwrought and the drama just wasn't there for me.

Moltke fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 6, 2015

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

pentyne posted:

Gordon is a dying man flailing in the wind.

Joe realizes that Mutiny is a cabal of high level tech geniuses and that owning them outright but being as hands off as possible would result in a ton of new IP that Northwest will directly profit off of. Things won't work out as well as that, probably because Cameron would rather salt the earth and burn the house down then agree to corporate ownership.

She paid people with shares of her company. She will be made to see the light when someone points out how shares become valuable.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Moltke posted:

Didn't like the way the writers went with Donna. I always felt like she had competent business senses and that negotiation was just over-the-top stupidity. Equally disliked Joe's extreme and needlessly machiavellian tactics for what seemed like extracting simple concessions. Whole thing seemed overwrought and the drama just wasn't there for me.
I've just come to accept that Joe isn't supposed - or required - to be liked by the audience. If they're trying to make him sympathetic, that ship's definitely sailing, but I can accept him being an rear end in a top hat, as long as the show stops being so heavy in other areas.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

ufarn posted:

I've just come to accept that Joe isn't supposed - or required - to be liked by the audience. If they're trying to make him sympathetic, that ship's definitely sailing, but I can accept him being an rear end in a top hat, as long as the show stops being so heavy in other areas.

I actually really like Joe and always have, just see him as smarter than this. He jumped straight to manipulation to get trifling benchmark concessions. Joe has always been good about communicating what he wants, and reserved the manipulation for when it seemed like he wasn't getting his way. Felt like they were trying to shoe horn over-the-top-yet-unearned drama into something that just wasn't that interesting, and destroyed part of Donna's character in the process.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I've been okay with Joe up until he pulled the latest stunt of manipulation and driving Mutiny to the brink over basically trifling matters - basically what he did at Cardiff with the fake shortcircuit, except this wasn't a stratagem to survive.

The reason Sarah left Joe was also really poorly conceived.

The last two episodes were basically awful at characterization.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Joe played hardball due to the combination of emotional turmoil of his fiance leaving him plus the fact he's bent on proving himself as an undeniable asset to an organization where he started as a basement grunt with a bad reputation and had to rebuild himself from nothing again. Joe being mean to former "friends" is not a development out of left field

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Moltke posted:

I always felt like she had competent business senses and that negotiation was just over-the-top stupidity.

I actually read that quite differently, initially. Joe really outranked Donna and Cameron in that negotiation, and there was absolutely no way Mutiny was going to win. He made that clear by simply repeating "$5" over and over again. They had nothing. But the one thing that could trump his position was a crying and then hysterical woman. That's the one thing you can't calmly out-negotiate. I thought that's what was happening: she just pulled her trump card out.

But then they pretty much immediately flushed that all down the drain by having him pull the plug and sending her over to apologize, so there went that.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Jake Armitage posted:

I actually read that quite differently, initially. Joe really outranked Donna and Cameron in that negotiation, and there was absolutely no way Mutiny was going to win. He made that clear by simply repeating "$5" over and over again. They had nothing. But the one thing that could trump his position was a crying and then hysterical woman. That's the one thing you can't calmly out-negotiate. I thought that's what was happening: she just pulled her trump card out.

But then they pretty much immediately flushed that all down the drain by having him pull the plug and sending her over to apologize, so there went that.

Crying hysterical woman is such a misogynistic trope though. Donna didn't lose her cool in front of the overt sexism at the VCs, was portrayed as very good at her business-y job throughout season 1, and has been the level-headed adult throughout s2 so far. Granted she's stretched pretty thin emotionally right now, but I just don't buy that a seasoned professional like her would have tried something like that on a person she knows to be a manipulative and hard-nosed businessman. Seemed like sloppy work from a writer stuck in a different era to me (which is something I've come to expect from this show despite liking most of the characters).

Moltke fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 6, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Well if the show wanted us to hate Joe with all our hearts then it has but then I understand where Joe is coming from.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

She paid people with shares of her company. She will be made to see the light when someone points out how shares become valuable.

I mean everyone else will say "yeah, we should take the deal" and Cameron will start screaming about fascism and then run through the house smashing everything.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Moltke posted:

Crying hysterical woman is such a misogynistic trope though. Donna didn't lose her cool in front of the overt sexism at the VCs, was portrayed as very good at her business-y job throughout season 1, and has been the level-headed adult throughout s2 so far. Granted she's stretched pretty thin emotionally right now, but I just don't buy that a seasoned professional like her would have tried something like that on a person she knows to be a manipulative and hard-nosed businessman. Seemed like sloppy work from a writer stuck in a different era to me (which is something I've come to expect from this show despite liking most of the characters).

Maybe she didn't intend it. She is pregnant now, so maybe she really couldn't control it very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moltke posted:

Joe seems like the exact perfect person to sandbag with a misogynistic trope. Also Donna wasn't just crying to be manipulative, or out of the blue. She had a miscarriage and was probably a bit upset about that, and she couldn't separate that from business. If you want to get all film-school about it she might see Mutiny as her baby as well, so Joe is trying to hurt her other baby after she just lost a real one.

• Locked thread