Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Joe seems like the exact perfect person to sandbag with a misogynistic trope. Also Donna wasn't just crying to be manipulative, or out of the blue. She had a miscarriage and was probably a bit upset about that, and she couldn't separate that from business. If you want to get all film-school about it she might see Mutiny as her baby as well, so Joe is trying to hurt her other baby after she just lost a real one.

She aborted the baby after that. The miscarriage was lil white lie for her mom. Same point though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moltke
May 13, 2009

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Joe seems like the exact perfect person to sandbag with a misogynistic trope. Also Donna wasn't just crying to be manipulative, or out of the blue. She had a miscarriage and was probably a bit upset about that, and she couldn't separate that from business. If you want to get all film-school about it she might see Mutiny as her baby as well, so Joe is trying to hurt her other baby after she just lost a real one.

She didn't really have a miscarriage though -- that was a lie she told her mother. In fact, she gets an abortion by the end of the episode, so I don't think it was about the baby (though perhaps tangentially related insofar as she cares more about her job than about having more kids, and probably internalized the latent sexism expressed by the VC).

Donna even admitted during negotiations that, while a steep price, $5 wouldn't be the end of Mutiny- it would just make working more difficult. I didn't feel the drama was there to justify the ridiculous negotiation tactics employed by both sides, and if Donna really did lose her cool (whether intentional or not), it brands the one and only strong female character this show has with a negative stereotype about women in business. Donna has seen some real growth as a character since joining Mutiny, but this is a major setback, and I can't imagine why the writers deemed it necessary.

Moltke fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 6, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

pentyne posted:

I mean everyone else will say "yeah, we should take the deal" and Cameron will start screaming about fascism and then run through the house smashing everything.

That's almost certainly what will happen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ufarn posted:

I've just come to accept that Joe isn't supposed - or required - to be liked by the audience. If they're trying to make him sympathetic, that ship's definitely sailing, but I can accept him being an rear end in a top hat, as long as the show stops being so heavy in other areas.
Joe's worst trait is that he had an affair with a woman who, it turns out, is basically a toddler. I know we're supposed to dislike Joe, but Cameron looks so much worse in comparison. At least Joe knows that he has to work with others to accomplish great things.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Halloween Jack posted:

Joe's worst trait is that he had an affair with a woman who, it turns out, is basically a toddler. I know we're supposed to dislike Joe, but Cameron looks so much worse in comparison. At least Joe knows that he has to work with others to accomplish great things.

Hey! She's not inviting random people to party in and trash random hotel rooms any time she gets some money in her pocket. That's *character development*, good sir.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Halloween Jack posted:

Which he will ultimately burn.

Joe and Cameron are both self destructive, we all know it isn't going to end well. Wonder boy, Tom, is going to get tired of Cameron's poo poo and usurp them all. At the end of the season, Tom will be famous, Cameron will be crying and smashing things, Joe will have gone too far, Donna will be angry, and who knows if Gordon will even be alive. Really, I have no idea where they are going with Gordon.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

wormil posted:

Which he will ultimately burn.

Joe and Cameron are both self destructive, we all know it isn't going to end well. Wonder boy, Tom, is going to get tired of Cameron's poo poo and usurp them all. At the end of the season, Tom will be famous, Cameron will be crying and smashing things, Joe will have gone too far, Donna will be angry, and who knows if Gordon will even be alive. Really, I have no idea where they are going with Gordon.

Gordon is going to die of stevejobisms.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gordon's going to come up with the idea for iTunes or Warcraft or Steam and will die before writing it down or telling anyone.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Gordon's going to come up with the idea for iTunes or Warcraft or Steam and will die before writing it down or telling anyone.

The value was in the implementation, lots of people had the idea. Cameron has lots of ideas but lacks the discipline to follow through.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

wormil posted:

The value was in the implementation, lots of people had the idea. Cameron has lots of ideas but lacks the discipline to follow through.

This line of thought is going to get really old really fast. It's getting increasingly jarring that these guys are the source for pretty much every technological innovation. loving ethernet now :rolleyes:

I wonder if we'll get a touchscreen/tablet scene soon. :suicide:

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Kin posted:

This line of thought is going to get really old really fast. It's getting increasingly jarring that these guys are the source for pretty much every technological innovation. loving ethernet now :rolleyes:

Except they didn't invent it, even in the show.

eta- sigh watch the scene again, Mutiny did not invent Ethernet.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 7, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Kin posted:

Next up Cameron will invent shareware and Tom will have an idea for a first person shooting game involving aliens but someone will convince him to use Nazis instead, except there will be no hardware powerful enough to run his game. Once again they will need Gordon to develop a wonder computer. The computer is ground breaking but Gordon's health deteriorates and causes delay after delay. Meanwhile Cameron cries and breaks things because Tom wants to release his game as an episodic single player instead of multiplayer. Joe will be busy developing a system of sharing documents that will set atop the internet (already invented by Al Gore) but his new boss doesn't believe in the idea. Joe will meet a guy named Lee that is working on something called HTML. Joe, losing faith in himself, will have a personal crisis that culminates in destroying his work and bring Mutiny down in the process but will get back together with Cameron. Cameron dreams of bringing games to mobile phones.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I wanted to punch Donna when she got all emo and it wasn't intentional, I wanted to punch Cameron when she was screaming at Donna, and I wanted to punch Gordo when he was banging the other chick

but mostly, I just want to punch the writers for these things

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I wanted to punch Donna when she got all emo and it wasn't intentional, I wanted to punch Cameron when she was screaming at Donna, and I wanted to punch Gordo when he was banging the other chick

but mostly, I just want to punch the writers for these things

The show started out well, but rather then do anything new they kept with the Cameron is a child, Joe is a controlling lying scumbag, Gordon is dragged along and awkward around people, and Donna is loving up things on the business side (like her prior job at TI)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pentyne posted:

The show started out well, but rather then do anything new they kept with the Cameron is a child, Joe is a controlling lying scumbag, Gordon is dragged along and awkward around people, and Donna is loving up things on the business side (like her prior job at TI)

And Boz is awesome. Always awesome.

...but for some reason I wouldn't be shocked if the writers do something retarded like have him hang himself in the shed or something by the end of the season as a hosed up way to 'energize' Cameron. Yes I know it'd make no loving sense, but a lot of poo poo doesn't make sense on this show. =/

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, hoping this show gets away from the stagnant relationship drama and back to the hardware drama in these last few episodes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And Boz is awesome. Always awesome.

...but for some reason I wouldn't be shocked if the writers do something retarded like have him hang himself in the shed or something by the end of the season as a hosed up way to 'energize' Cameron. Yes I know it'd make no loving sense, but a lot of poo poo doesn't make sense on this show. =/

It's a 50-50 flip between Boz being the one to stop Cameron from burning the place down, or him returning to a scorched house and she runs up to tell him the ungrateful employees tried to take a deal from Joe and she's got a brand new idea that's totally going to change the world, and Boz just walks off to hang himself in his hotel room.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Someone has to suffer, it will be Boz.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The scene where they throw C64 hardware inside that Unix machine was pretty great. And it was intense when it all fell apart on them. Why aren't we discussing things like that?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceAceJase posted:

The scene where they throw C64 hardware inside that Unix machine was pretty great. And it was intense when it all fell apart on them. Why aren't we discussing things like that?

Because they should have just ported it to Unix.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Plinkey posted:

Because they should have just ported it to Unix.

Because Cameron knew better and refused to bow to any semblance of corporate instruction and would rather lie to Joe's face and attempt to con him rather then adapt to a "standard".

Joe was right to flip out at them and tear the machine apart, but their creative ingenuity is the biggest selling point for Mutiny and it seems like Joe wants to turn Mutiny into an IP factory, letting them run their online game service and making sure Northwest Oil gets the patents on the stuff coming out of it. What happens after this point is either going to be share holding employees willing to give up some freedom for a huge payday and Cameron flipping her poo poo or Joe putting Boz in charge because Boz is the rational human being that Mutiny so desperately needs running the ship.

And Tom is clearly the rational man at the company, the guy who is just as smart, maybe even smarter then Cam who will see the future of Mutiny as something more and stand up to her anti-authority bs.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 8, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SpaceAceJase posted:

Not really. In one scene Donna tells Joe that porting to Unix will take a long time and Joe agrees; in the next Donna is agreeing to trick Joe into believing they ported in 24 hours. It would have been better written if they had worked on porting to Unix and then tried tricking Joe out of frustration.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

So was it Joe's fiance's father (his boss) that sent over the prenup? When she got pissed and went to the bathroom with the phone was she calling her Dad because she was mad?

zealott
Mar 30, 2004

Radiohead71 posted:

So was it Joe's fiance's father (his boss) that sent over the prenup? When she got pissed and went to the bathroom with the phone was she calling her Dad because she was mad?

Bingo.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I don't understand how they got their C64's to talk through an IBM.

The users are using acoustical modems, so they have to talk over the phone system to a big modem bank, right?

So that is being redirected back into the house with the C64's? How? Did they run leased lines?

In that era, IBM was friggen EBCDIC (sic) not even ASCII. Sending even characters between system was a huge pain.

Also Timesharing (TSO) was around in the 70s.

I just have a helluva time watching that show because I lived (worked) through that era and keep trying to sync it.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Yeah. That was smart. :smug:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This is "Cameron has no common sense" the show.

How does Cameron still have 90% of the company? Does Donna have nothing? Did they give out shares at all?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Every scene with Boz is good. Make Boz the main character. Every scene without Boz should be characters getting into problems for Boz to solve.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Cameron: Queen of Imbecile Island

She's so punk rock! A true broke-rear end punk rocker!

*air guitar*

*Ramen noodles; utilities get shut off*

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I don't understand how they got their C64's to talk through an IBM.

The users are using acoustical modems, so they have to talk over the phone system to a big modem bank, right?

So that is being redirected back into the house with the C64's? How? Did they run leased lines?

In that era, IBM was friggen EBCDIC (sic) not even ASCII. Sending even characters between system was a huge pain.

Also Timesharing (TSO) was around in the 70s.

I just have a helluva time watching that show because I lived (worked) through that era and keep trying to sync it.

You're in the same boat cops/doctors/lawyers are in when they watch their respective shows. So many of them can't watch the shows based on their professions because it's such bullshit. TV isn't real, and they make all sorts of poo poo up for dramatic purposes.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Also was that *REAL* character development from Cameron tonight? I was impressed.

E: The Cameron at the final scene, not angsty Cameron from the rest of the episode.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Gonz posted:

Cameron: Queen of Imbecile Island

She's so punk rock! A true broke-rear end punk rocker!

*air guitar*

*Ramen noodles; utilities get shut off*

I'm just so sick of Cameron. I get that making games is her passion but holy poo poo why not take the money, work at Westgroup until your contract is done then go back to working on your passion with millions of dollars in the bank?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm just so sick of Cameron. I get that making games is her passion but holy poo poo why not take the money, work at Westgroup until your contract is done then go back to working on your passion with millions of dollars in the bank?

No! Because that would be SELLING OUT.

To THE MAN, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Cameron is like the anti-Bill Gates. Gates made his bones by being a ruthless son of a bitch who would step over whomever he and his business partners could to take the next step with Microsoft. And then once his company got huge, he became even more ruthless.

Cameron is naive if she thinks she can grow and expand Mutiny by keeping it locked up in a goddamn tiny house in the middle of the suburbs.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 13, 2015

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm going to assume this show is getting canceled after the season is over. I hope they don't end it on a ridiculous cliff hanger like last season.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Well I was surprised when it got a second season maybe AMC will surprise us again

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Vanderdeath posted:

Gonz posted:

No! Because that would be SELLING OUT.

To THE MAN, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Cameron is like the anti-Bill Gates. Gates made his bones by being a ruthless son of a bitch who would step over whomever he and his business partners could to take the next step with Microsoft. And then once his company got huge, he became even more ruthless.

Cameron is naive if she thinks she can grow and expand Mutiny by keeping it locked up in a goddamn tiny house in the middle of the suburbs.
It's a little annoying to watch but I think it was much better executed this time around than usual.

Also it happens with a lot of creatives. It sounds easy to shack up with a big company, pay your dues and then cash out and do what you want. It's just that certain people don't have the confidence they can do the few years (i'm guessing 2-5) and come out unscathed. It might be a matter of being stifled creatively and it feels suffocating, or that they believe that their creative vision/juices/direction might get corrupted somewhere along the way and they won't be able to escape it. It's easy to look out and say "well, just suck it up, you're gonna get rich quick, and then bail when you're a millionaire", but it's never as simple as that. Throw that in with the fact that Cameron is extremely anti-authoritarian, it's not gonna mix well. She's also fairly young compared to Donna/Gordon and Joe, so she's likely more idealistic about her creativity and what she thinks its worth vs. her integrity.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I was quite annoyed that they really did go with the "big company is gonna screw you" trope.

Like Joe has basically been right about this stuff all along so far and the ceo has been all "yeah go for it, it's working". Now there's this heel turn off "haha, good job lying to them, let's just destroy who they are".

Basically, it just makes Cameron look like she's in the right despite her childish tantrums.

Edit: for further clarity, what I mean is that it feels like they just wrote in a trope that justifies Cameron's behaviour instead of continuing down the path they were (with a ceo not being a moustache twirling "villain") that would have led to spine genuine character development and growth.

Kin fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 14, 2015

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
When watching this show, it helps to keep in mind that the writers don't share the opinion that Cameron is a petulant, immature child. They think she's the future. They're setting up the shift in the computer industry from old farts in Texas calling the shots, to young kids in Silicon Valley changing the world. But they have a strangely romanticized, mostly outsider's perception of Silicon Valley that they're basing all of this on.

The problem is that they don't realize that Cameron would be a miserable failure in 2015.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
To be fair, she'd be a failure in 1985 if she didn't have Boz & Donna propping her up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kin posted:

Like Joe has basically been right about this stuff all along so far and the ceo has been all "yeah go for it, it's working". Now there's this heel turn off "haha, good job lying to them, let's just destroy who they are".

As if they didn't telegraph this by casting James drat Cromwell as Wheeler. If you're in a movie/show and somehow find yourself in an arrangement with James drat Cromwell and expect not to get hosed over in some catastrophic way, you don't know James drat Cromwell. It's like trusting Gary drat Sinise or to a lesser extent, Ed drat Harris

• Locked thread