Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Now I want a movie with the three of them together, working their political machinations on one another.

Almost as much as I want a movie with Alan Tudyk and Sean Bean as enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is our takeaway from Gordon's side project that you need solvent induced brain damage to be an effective project manager?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is our takeaway from Gordon's side project that you need solvent induced brain damage to be an effective project manager?

As someone who works with and supports a group of project managers in my job, this checks out.

The source of the brain damage doesn't seem to be a factor though - solvents, catastrophic head injury, stroke, mom was a pack-a-day smoker in the first trimester, it's your world brah.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Some good AV club coverage of how they used colour in two weeks ago's 10Broad36 episode: http://www.avclub.com/article/red-green-blue-halt-and-catch-fire-plays-rgb-color-222097

They work hard on this show.

Linked interview with the set designer: http://mirror80.com/2015/07/halt-and-catch-fire-interview-lance-totten/ He has a demi-Gordon beard, even.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm just so sick of Cameron. I get that making games is her passion but holy poo poo why not take the money, work at Westgroup until your contract is done then go back to working on your passion with millions of dollars in the bank?

I've had this argument with many friends of mine that are in bands. They have this lovely attitude when they hear more commercial music like "oh, that's so easy to play" or "I can write a pop song too", so my answer to that is "why don't you do it"? Because they want to play "real" hard rock/metal music man, like in the 70's and 80's and 90's. Never mind the fact that the type of music isn't so commercially viable anymore and the idea of "playing shows until you make it" instead of simply promoting your music online or otherwise is simply an outdated relic of the past. If it's so easy to make catchy tunes that people want to hear rather than technical garbage that bores people to death, why not build a following, make some money and once you have fans, THEN work on your passion project but at least by then you'll have made a living. No, they have too much integrity for that. Enjoy living in mom's basement

In this case Cameron got a bona fide offer with cash in hand. I can see how in SOME cases it would make sense to not sell early if you genuinely think the business can grow further (instagram), but they don't want to buy her company for the games, they want to buy it for the broadband shenanigans and the social stuff. And Cameron will likely focus on games. Nintendo is coming out, so unless they have her make a doom-like game as they were foreshadowing, I don't see how this can work out in the long term (though we know that it will somehow)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Duro posted:

Nintendo is coming out, so unless they have her make a doom-like game as they were foreshadowing, I don't see how this can work out in the long term (though we know that it will somehow)

Except last year had them kind of sort of failing? They succeeded, but not in what they set out to do. I don't imagine any guarantee that Cameron is going to make it or that they'll make Doom or its equivalent. With all the flip flopping to the Mutiny employees over 'we'll take the deal, we won't take the deal' I can easily see her dreams crashing and burning before the finale even.

She'll either gently caress up royally, or maybe learn her lesson from last year and accept that she has to dial back and create things that will actually be playable.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

esperterra posted:

Except last year had them kind of sort of failing? They succeeded, but not in what they set out to do. I don't imagine any guarantee that Cameron is going to make it or that they'll make Doom or its equivalent. With all the flip flopping to the Mutiny employees over 'we'll take the deal, we won't take the deal' I can easily see her dreams crashing and burning before the finale even.

She'll either gently caress up royally, or maybe learn her lesson from last year and accept that she has to dial back and create things that will actually be playable.

I dont think Mutiny makes the Doom equivalent of this world, if anybody does it, it will be the one fat guy who left when Cam offered stock instead of pay. The one guy leaving was weird, he has to make a return.

EDIT: VVV To hide from an apoplectic Cam he had to swith identities VVV

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 16, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I dont think Mutiny makes the Doom equivalent of this world, if anybody does it, it will be the one fat guy who left when Cam offered stock instead of pay. The one guy leaving was weird, he has to make a return.

"Why'd he rename himself to 'John Romero?'"

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I too want a triumphant return of Yo-Yo!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

EDIT: VVV To hide from an apoplectic Cam he had to swith identities VVV

Yeah, exactly. If anybody does succeed with Cameron's FPS idea it won't be her, and then she'll become more insufferable. I suspect this will be her arc forever.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

esperterra posted:

Yeah, exactly. If anybody does succeed with Cameron's FPS idea it won't be her, and then she'll become more insufferable. I suspect this will be her arc forever.

"NAZIS? No no no no NO! I will NOT have any political bent in my game, even if it IS shooting fascists. If we have to shoot *anything* in my game it'll be men wearing business suits like the assholes who are trying to hijack my GENIUS and VISION."

"Hey Cameron...you're smart, but a lot of us have a lot going on upstairs as well..."

"YOU'RE FIRED PACK YOUR poo poo!"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 17, 2015

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"NAZIS? No no no no NO! I will NOT have any political bent in my game, even if it IS shooting fascists. If we have to shoot *anything* in my game it'll be men wearing business suits like the assholes who are trying to hijack my GENIUS and VISION."

"Hey Cameron...you're smart, but a lot of us have a lot going on upstairs as well..."

"YOU'RE FIRED PACK YOUR poo poo!"

gently caress I wanna play some Wolf 3D now.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wolfenstein is going to be called WolfenCorp, and you WILL be shooting suits and trying to make your way to the end boss, Farmer Hogget CEO.

Joe changes everything to nazis last minute and ships the game.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

esperterra posted:

gently caress I wanna play some Wolf 3D now.

Go for it: http://3d.wolfenstein.com/game_NA.php

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Joe torches the shipment of floppy disks and comes up with the idea for the Kinect

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

esperterra posted:

That's what I thought this show was. They aren't the winners of 80's era computing but rather our window to view it through.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
DVR cut off the final 14 minutes of this episode for an unexplained reason. What happened?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Joe's replacement swapped Mutiny for a clone on the same servers, effectively stealing Mutiny's community. Joe shows up at the house high on MDMA to swear he had no part in it. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO CAMERON?!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jehde posted:

Joe's replacement swapped Mutiny for a clone on the same servers, effectively stealing Mutiny's community. Joe shows up at the house high on MDMA to swear he had no part in it. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO CAMERON?!

Hooooooooo boy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This was pretty much the logical conclusion. Companies making $5 million offers to an established small time business and getting rejected like that would quickly realize they can just build their own model for way less and then own 100% of it.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Is that legal in the slightest? I could see cloning the software being a grey area, but pointing their contracted phone lines to the new server instead of Mutiny has got to violate some kind of law.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ThaGrandCow posted:

Is that legal in the slightest? I could see cloning the software being a grey area, but pointing their contracted phone lines to the new server instead of Mutiny has got to violate some kind of law.

It's pretty clear that Cameron doesn't have the resources to pursue a case. Plus Mutiny has broken so many laws, zoning, stealing power, etc. that bring the place to the attention of the courts would be a losing proposition.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Good thing Cameron included that copy protection stuff in there! Or did she?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What happened to Mutiny is basically what Cardiff's original plan was in S1 re: copying the IBM BIOS, except much easier and the heavy-handed copy protection discussions made it pretty clear that they have no recourse at all, with the possible exception being their new shooter if that was cloned and was actually copy protected.

What exactly did Cameron think...eh, never mind, she doesn't. But seriously, turning down a multi-million dollar offer like that and expecting the company making you the offer, who is also providing you with all of your bandwidth, to continue supporting you is stupid.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ThaGrandCow posted:

Part of the problem was there were no cyber laws back then and jurisdiction was a mess. So it becomes a civil matter, good luck Cameron.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Again, we can clearly see why people follow Cameron and want to work for her because in a crisis situation she starts crying and throwing poo poo around whilst other people try and fix things.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This season is better but I'm going to lose interest if it doesn't move on from unlikable losers losing.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Again, we can clearly see why people follow Cameron and want to work for her because in a crisis situation she starts crying and throwing poo poo around whilst other people try and fix things.

Her having a little bit of a humbling realization in the last episode actually made things worse in my mind, because it just shined a bright light on the fact that all the smart grown ups in the room have ben accommodating her ridiculous behavior for a season and a half now for no good god damned reason whatsoever.

Joes awakening was so odd too. Its a pattern with these characters that the writers paint them as the no-talent/idiot/infant that they are, while having every other aspect of the plot treat them like visionary/genius/the futcha.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 21, 2015

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

wormil posted:

This season is better but I'm going to lose interest if it doesn't move on from unlikable losers losing.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I don't know how anyone could possibly be rooting for Cameron to succeed at this point, other than the fact that the poor nerds, Boz, and Donna would be out on the street in spite of their best efforts to keep the company on course.

Fortunately for HACF the unlikeable losers can just invent some disruptive tech or business model and start all over next season. Rinse repeat.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The Boz should be working with Gordon/garage pc custom clone crew and manage whatever version of Dell or Gateway they were aiming at. The Boz always owns.

Donna should just go start Prodigy and lock Cameron up in some far away skunkworks room.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

wormil posted:

It is?

I kind of feel like I may as well watch the last 2 episodes, but I'm not certain I'll bother with a season 3 (if one exists).

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Like I get that the show is literally about how you can have the perfect idea, or all the right hardware, or perfect software, or a hungry fanbase, etc, but still fail, because the characters are riding the crest of a tumultuous wave of tech fads. But the show in season one had a lot of "oh wow here's some hurdle we're facing, let's pull off some A-Team/Breaking Bad gimmick to fix it" and portrayed the characters as quirky but competent weirdos trying to be herded in the same direction.

But here, in season two, we have them all going about their own things barely interacting beyond interpersonal drama (they all hate each other, let's revisit this every episode) and they're all sort of bad at their jobs now, as the jobs have all been shuffled (Cameron is trying to run a company, Gordo is rich but wants to keep coming up with cool stuff on limited time, Joe is spending half the season working for a different company until he decides he can help Mutiny out, etc). We don't get any real exciting problems and solutions, beyond the fake computer they rigged. Which was awesome, since it pulls you into the limitations of the stuff they are dealing with, and it showed that these characters can pull together to do some stuff they shouldn't really be able to. They are a superteam.

Mutiny is the focus of this season and it has games which we are alternatingly told are amazing and cutting edge and also boring and played out and no one cares about them. The new super app is Community which we're sort of just told is super popular and keeping Mutiny afloat at this point. We don't get to see these things in any depth, beyond seeing hints that they exist.

Instead of concrete problems like "we'll double stack the circuit board to fit more chips!", we're simply told "I programmed something to fix the problem". We're denied that "Eureka!" moment that, I think, a lot of people started to expect.

A lot of shows seem to do this in their second seasons, going from visible frustrations and problems being solved in clever, inventive ways, to interpersonal problems that have no real solutions that click into place to give results. I think it's just the writers finishing season one, using up all of their cool ideas, and having no idea what to do or how to start other than the tangle of characters they have. It's sort of a letdown, and I feel the same way about the second+ seasons of Lilyhammer, House of Cards, etc.

When actual problems pertaining to the plot get glossed over, all of these shows just feel like they're spinning their tires.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
To be honest isn't that the exact same problem the first season had around this point? It started good and ended decently but the middle just dragged horrendously.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Party Plane Jones posted:

To be honest isn't that the exact same problem the first season had around this point? It started good and ended decently but the middle just dragged horrendously.

I watched it all pretty quick but they had, across the season, dumping the ROM manually with the LED readout machine, the issues with fitting the chips on the board and cooling, the idea of it being a portable briefcase thing, the erased backup disks and the magnetic reader gambit to fix it, and I think maybe one other thing happened at the convention?

On top of this were various legal / business obstacles, competing products, etc.

I think one aspect is that through the first season we see the Giant being created, and then it's sort of abandoned entirely in season 2 (do we even see any hanging out?)

Meanwhile, all of the Mutiny / Community (has anyone mentioned the similarity of these words) stuff is just sort of talked about with only the occasional glimpse at a screen. I understand that the stuff takes place on a network of computers, it's magic, and that's a huge deal, but they need to sell it harder.

Edit: I think it's just more enjoyable to see both success and failure when we see the characters actually working on it, step by step, rather than just being told that Cameron's programming some new stuff we'll really love

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I actually quite liked how they opened this last episode, Cameron was programming game logic that seemed to me to be for a shooter.

EDIT: And yes we've seen/heard about the giant in s2 a few times now, but it very much was s1's story.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 22, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Season 2 will probably end with Cameron, Boz, Todd, a few of the tech guys, and Donna taking the scraps from Mutiny and publishing the first Battlezone PC game that becomes a wild success and provides them with enough resources to start a formal (i.e real not crashing in a house) company and Boz is made CEO to keep the place operating in the green.

I know they're going for the super drama tone of the critical AMC darlings but it doesn't fit with the setting at all. Letting Cameron be a untouchable wunderkid for most of the season before the inevitable fall doesn't really matter because we know something will save her at the end. The only person who seems like their life is hosed is Gordon, because he's losing control of his mind from brain damage. Everyone else is just going to fall into a successful new option.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I'm thinking we will see Joe betray his father-in-law by doing something to ruined his new venture while saving Mutiny, and by helping Cam it will cost him his marriage. That might just be false hope on my part, because I keep imagining the team getting back together. I just don't see Joe going to CA. That said given that there is a chance that there is not going to be a season 3 (the writers knew this) I bet they end season 2 in a way that would work as a series finale. Still if AMC did renew Turn, and if the new Walking Dead spinoff is successful (it will be, and I think it will be better than the original) that allows AMC to keep these pet projects going.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Maybe it is because I binged watched season 1, but I didn't think it dragged. I understand some of the criticisms of the show, but outside of some issues with Cam I really like the show. It is flawed, but it is currently one of my favorite shows on TV.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Linked interview with the set designer: http://mirror80.com/2015/07/halt-and-catch-fire-interview-lance-totten/ He has a demi-Gordon beard, even.
That site reminds me that there is genuinely very little that really is worth keeping from the 80's as a style beyond perhaps a few striking art prints. Perhaps some of the more striking art-deco revival stuff could be kept around - if you like polishing brass every month. Mauve, green and pin pastel stuff really do deserve to be piled up and burnt.

Though I do kind of miss the gloss of offices of the times, block glass walls, brass handrails, drop light fittings and mirrored ceilings are bizarrely nostalgic.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
When I watch this it doesn't feel 80's to me. There are touches here and there like Joe's Miami Vice garb, and Cameron's belly shirts (someone give the poor girl a bra already), Donna's 70's clock, the disco scene. I'm not saying the decorations and clothing are inaccurate but there is something missing for me, maybe the attitudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

When I watch this it doesn't feel 80's to me. There are touches here and there like Joe's Miami Vice garb, and Cameron's belly shirts (someone give the poor girl a bra already), Donna's 70's clock, the disco scene. I'm not saying the decorations and clothing are inaccurate but there is something missing for me, maybe the attitudes.

just look at the kitchen with that puke green 80s fridge

• Locked thread