Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Can they seriously stop doing these meaningless dutch angles and lovely camera work? The last two episodes have been utterly painful to watch because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Wish this show was just Bosworth casually putting out everyone's fires and shooting off oneliners

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I like the show but i am getting a little bit irritated by the gang basically being set up as the origins for all of the things that have become modern standards of living.

Online Chat, multiplayer games, now the first FPS, Server renting. It's getting to be a bit of a joke particularly with the "everything i don't think of it lovely" schtick Cameron has.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

The show likes to show us all the little fuckups they make but sort of lets them succeed for no real reason anyways. It's annoying.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kin posted:

I like the show but i am getting a little bit irritated by the gang basically being set up as the origins for all of the things that have become modern standards of living.

Online Chat, multiplayer games, now the first FPS, Server renting. It's getting to be a bit of a joke particularly with the "everything i don't think of it lovely" schtick Cameron has.

I do find it off-putting that the programmer who threw a tantrum because her first big project wasn't revolutionary is now casually saying pffft to everything that isn't adding more content to Zork.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm really curious to see if they can build the first person shooter on their network that Cameron wants. It seems way too advanced compared to what they've been doing but that seems to be the direction they are heading. Especially when considering the camera during the last few scenes of her playing with the toy guns at mutiny.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Kin posted:

Its an alternate reality fiction.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

r0ck0 posted:

Its an alternate reality fiction.

It is, but one of the main points of season 1 was that all of Cam's stupid tech dreams got shot down and replaced with realistic reasonable ones that she whined and raged over not matter how dumb or unreal they were.

For season 2 to be a series of "I AM THE FUTURE OF TECHNOLOGY" events for Cam would be horseshit. I get the feeling that the season is going to some mid size company seeing what Mutiny is doing, and that Joe and Gordon are semi-attached to it (tech icons after their landmark computer) and just outright offer to buy it. The shares thing means Cameron ceded ownership to her nerd gang and if enough of them agree she's can't stop it. If season 2 ends with her torching the house after CompuPlanet has bought a hunk chunk of the company and she rejects a "corporate overlord" I'll just give up on this show.

As strong as season 2 started, it seems like they keep re-treading on old ground for plot. Joe is breaking the rules to make his innovative computing idea, Gordon is plodding along with the plot being dragged along by someone else (Donna or Joe), and Cameron is continuously and repeatedly loving up and not learning from it at all.

Really, the only 100% amazing aspect of the show so far is Boz. He loving kills it in every scene he's in, and I can just picture him sitting at a table sharing a cup of coffee and chatting with that mother and her nerdy kid explaining to her that her son has found a new world of people to socialize with and yeah, the boy needs to get outdoors and spend some time in the sun but when he's on the computer he's chatting with people from the other side of the country with the same interests and hobbies as him so he's not isolated or alone, just experiencing a new future of communication.

edit: Every week Cameron does another reprehensible thing, this week she basically insults Donna for being a mother which anyone sane person would immediately flag as a bad idea (which literally everyone who sees the message does but can't do anyone but be super awkward around Donna)

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 22, 2015

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

WilWheaton posted:

Can they seriously stop doing these meaningless dutch angles and lovely camera work? The last two episodes have been utterly painful to watch because of it.

I thought it was just me. I assumed the weird angles were leading up to some crazy moment with Gordon but it never really came.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
The dutch angles were kind of pointless, but we did get some kind of neat camera angles during the nerf fight which lead into Cameron basically inventing FPSs.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That bit with Bosworth, Cam, and Tom in the kitchen seemed as if it was Bos realizing that Cam and Tom were attracted to each other before they even knew they were, and doing the whole "Dad meeting the guy who is taking out his daughter" bit. I thought that was a great little scene.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Factor Mystic posted:

The dutch angles were kind of pointless, but we did get some kind of neat camera angles during the nerf fight which lead into Cameron basically inventing FPSs.

Yeah I kept waiting for the "Cameron is actually John Romero???" moment.

cheerfullydrab posted:

That bit with Bosworth, Cam, and Tom in the kitchen seemed as if it was Bos realizing that Cam and Tom were attracted to each other before they even knew they were, and doing the whole "Dad meeting the guy who is taking out his daughter" bit. I thought that was a great little scene.

Reiterating again that season 2 has ramped things up considerably.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Jehde posted:

Yeah I kept waiting for the "Cameron is actually John Romero???" moment.

Well, to be fair here, id did not invent the FPS. As a matter of fact, this all makes Cameron's idea even more bizarre, because what she is describing was done in the 70s, even the networking part. And I'm guessing what she has in mind here is closer to Maze War than Wolfenstein 3D.

I think the writers watched Mad Men attribute a lot of major, real world ideas to Don Draper and get away with it, basically because no one really gives two shits about the ad industry or its history, so it just flew. Technology is completely different, as people not only know a lot of this history now, they care about it because it affects their lives so much. It's really jarring when they do it in H&CF.

At least to me. Actually now that I think of it, I doubt the person I watch this show with really catches any of this stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't claim to be a retrogaming expert, but without this show my wife would probably not sit and listen to me nerd out about Dungeon of Doom, Zork, and the earliest first-person RPGs I can remember.

System 7 :argh:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Caught up with the latest season after assuming it was cancelled, and while things have gone up a bit (like, 40% to a 50%), Cameron is an even worse character.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Professor Shark posted:

Caught up with the latest season after assuming it was cancelled, and while things have gone up a bit (like, 40% to a 50%), Cameron is an even worse character.

I am so up and down on Cameron, but the last 2 episodes (I watched both of them last night) almost broke me completely of her. Only point I felt for her was when she checked the online count and it was zero. Of course the show is doing lets put her at the lowest level before bringing her back-up thing.

Donna being pregnant is not a storyline I really wanted to see. Is this going to turn into an abortion debate, and another plot device to put a bigger wedge between Gordon and Donna? I just don't find it compelling at all.

Also any idea what is causing Gordon's symptoms? At first I thought it was coke related, but now I'm not so sure.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I sometimes wish this show was about Bosworth, Joe and Donna with some appearances by Gordon and featuring Cameron as Dame Not-Appearing-In-This-Series. The first couple of episodes made it seem like Cameron was moving away from being a ~*Renegade Visionary*~ but now she seems to be falling back into that rut. Her character is on the cusp of being decent which is why it's infuriating. Even Joe "The Reptilian 80s Businessman" McMillan feels like he's making strides towards actually evolving as a character.

That being said, this show is also my most anticipated show on Sundays so they must be doing something right.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

nate fisher posted:

I am so up and down on Cameron, but the last 2 episodes (I watched both of them last night) almost broke me completely of her. Only point I felt for her was when she checked the online count and it was zero. Of course the show is doing lets put her at the lowest level before bringing her back-up thing.

Donna being pregnant is not a storyline I really wanted to see. Is this going to turn into an abortion debate, and another plot device to put a bigger wedge between Gordon and Donna? I just don't find it compelling at all.

Also any idea what is causing Gordon's symptoms? At first I thought it was coke related, but now I'm not so sure.

I hope his illness turns out to not be a big deal and it could be a running thing this season of having serious drama things happen to Gordon only for it to not be an issue.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Zythrst posted:

I hope his illness turns out to not be a big deal and it could be a running thing this season of having serious drama things happen to Gordon only for it to not be an issue.

He's gonna pull a Stephen Hawking and get diagnosed with ALS and spend his time building a computer to use as a communication device before things get too bad.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The preview for this coming week's episode shows him getting told by a doctor that whatever he has is untreatable.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Quoting myself, but the thing with the hands is indicative of a few things, the two most serious being

pentyne posted:

Probably Parkinson's or MS. Both of which would be traumatic as gently caress for someone who needs their brains and their hands to do what they love. You think his coke problem was bad before now imagine how bad it gets when his literal life's passion is taken from him piece by piece.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
:spergin: here, and I like this show, but I feel like they've started getting sloppy with the tech which was something they did much better the first season.

I don't believe a Commodore 64 ever had a C compiler. I'll grant that it may be possible, but I had a C64 (and then a C128) for like 20 years and never once saw any thing "C".

And then the LOAD"SONARIS.EXE" ugh.... UGH!

Still digging the show, though.

E: I guess there was something called Power C. And technically you could have named a file "SONARIS.EXE" or drat near anything? But you'd still need the ,8,1 for it to look at the disk drive.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 24, 2015

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Did you think everything on the C64 was written in BASIC? :laffo: Just kidding. I did when I had mine.

Also, if I remember correctly, you didn't need the ,8,1. The defaults for that were ,1,0, which means he loaded SONARIS.EXE from the datasette into the start of BASIC memory. So it's wrong for a different reason: a C program isn't run by the BASIC interpreter, so he would have needed ,1,1 but honestly most likely ,8,1. 8 was the device number of the first disk drive.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 24, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yeah should've double checked before I sperged.

But he definitely loaded it in to a disk drive, so....

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Has anyone called Cameron "manic pc dream girl" yet?

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008
Hand numbness and muscle weakness are both symptoms of heavy cocaine use, I think, so it might be that.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I didn't get a good look at it, but what was Donna holding at the end of the episode?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
A pregnancy test. Looks like we got some more melodrama coming up.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Frackie Robinson posted:

Has anyone called Cameron "manic pc dream girl" yet?
Not twee enough. But honestly I feel like they're mostly throwing her in the same rut again but last episode seemed to bring her out of it. Hopefully it sticks.

Also Mackenzie Davis clearly doesn't shave her pits for the role, that was surprising when that shot of her putting the bandana came on. Not that I thought it was gross, just surprising.

Subcomputer
Nov 2, 2004
Maybe this has been covered before, but why does Joe sound just like Don Draper on Mad Men? Is it like some sociolect / status register from say a particular college, or were the two actors neighbors in the same village?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Subcomputer posted:

Maybe this has been covered before, but why does Joe sound just like Don Draper on Mad Men? Is it like some sociolect / status register from say a particular college, or were the two actors neighbors in the same village?

Probably. Lee Pace was definitely going for the charismatic controlling slick businessman and for the last 7 years Don Draper has been the archetype since 2007. Especially since it was an AMC show and they were desperate for a new critical hit since Mad Men was on its way out.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Subcomputer posted:

It's the timbre of his voice and likely because both characters are supposed to be from up east.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
drat, a Suncoast Motion Picture Company reference. I miss Suncoast.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Remember, folks: Always avoid prolonged contact with lead solder and chemical solvents, lest your brain atrophy.

Poor Gordon.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Kin posted:

they're pointing out that everyone is having the same ideas at the same time and the test is who executes first. cf. macintosh last season, which caused Joe to agree to torpedo Cameron's operating system. also Nintendo last episode.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I can't tell if Cameron is still refusing to grow up or making small strides. Halfway through the season and Cam is still running her "no this is a idea factory don't make this a 'business'"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Gonz posted:

drat, a Suncoast Motion Picture Company reference. I miss Suncoast.

Somewhere in my apartment is a discount card that has not seen daylight in eight years :smith:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Last night's episode was good. A bit heavy on the relationship stuff but we got some good Bos moments. I also particularly liked <--- This scene with Gordon.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I was really hoping they would subvert expectations and Joe's fiancee wouldn't have a freak out.

Cameron is really the only character I dislike right now. She's going to be the sole reason Mutiny tanks by the end of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cheerfullydrab posted:

Bos and Cam are the best :3 I like the relationship they have. Best moment of the episode was Bosworth getting flustered when he realized the one programmer was gay. "Well poo poo, I got a cousin..." before sputtering out of the room.

• Locked thread