Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Linked interview with the set designer: http://mirror80.com/2015/07/halt-and-catch-fire-interview-lance-totten/ He has a demi-Gordon beard, even.
That site reminds me that there is genuinely very little that really is worth keeping from the 80's as a style beyond perhaps a few striking art prints. Perhaps some of the more striking art-deco revival stuff could be kept around - if you like polishing brass every month. Mauve, green and pin pastel stuff really do deserve to be piled up and burnt.

Though I do kind of miss the gloss of offices of the times, block glass walls, brass handrails, drop light fittings and mirrored ceilings are bizarrely nostalgic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Have you ever seen Manhunter?
Yes.
The film draws very heavily from the geometrics, hyper-white and block colours and styling of of the time and works to it's strengths of using clashing colours to really unsettle you in pretty much every shot. It works as it knows it wants to be an expressionistic film in it's atmosphere and even the horrid synth soundtrack mostly works to push you further into the character's pyche with all sorts of odd mixes of colours that unsettle you - like Hannibal's glowing purple sink or Dollarhyde's ghoulish 50's tack-fest of a house vs everyone else who seems to live in a pristine white 80's magazine.

Great interview with Dante Spinotti about developing that look for the film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs9OyVIQZgg

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

In this week's episode Mutiny develops The Sierra On-Line ImagiNation Network.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQDCptBzR64

Some scans of that Fortune cover article

I kind of hope it does get renewed for another season, which seems to allude to focusing on the gaming industry resurgence of the late 80's.
Also it's August 1985 (or somewhere around that time) so Windows is juuuust on the horizon and the start of the OS wars.

The main downside is the characters are in a bubble where internal and external factors don't really meet or cause any friction or push the characters beyond a one episode barney.
The show really shone when it setup a problem and they had to solve it, it gave a driving force to events. The personal dramas just didn't have much to grab onto despite the stakes being there they never really got going.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 8, 2015

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I guess he wanted to continue being a pirate than sail with the Navy.
That scene pretty much laid out that he was in a job position where he wouldn't really get far up the ladder vs his son who looked set on the path to outrank his dad.
Mutiny going to California looked prime to give him something new instead of more of the same.

However it does come off as a bit of a "surprise, Bos is still around!" scene while Cameron was freaking out about Tom not showing up.

I'm agreeing with the story's arcing - it feels like they're trying a bit too hard to emulate Mad Men's slow burn style and any actual consequence of anyone's actions ended up being crammed into the last episode as a bit of a cheap cliffhanger.

The same thing happened in Season 1's finale.

I kind of hope Season 3 has the old guard turning out to be sort of useful other than a sounding board and stressed out account managers who are rapidly going obsolete.

Joe is sort of the exception as he's canny enough to see an opportunity. Bos trails behind as the wise old mentor. Donna seems woefully underdeveloped as you know she has the chops and Gordon's turned out to be completely useless on account of brain damage.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

You know I can potentially see a warped plotline of Joe hiring Cameron to attack systems so he can provide the cure.
Or Gordon in a coke coding frenzy accidentally creates Gorton Utilities where he discovers how to un-erase files and speed up disk access and change the colour of DOS.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Cameron's in love with her baby to a fault. It's such a common trait when something gets big fast. Plus she doesn't have the experience as the others do so there's that nice adults vs kids things being setup which I would not be too surprised if Cameron calls an actual mutiny. It's echoing the situation back at Cardiff somewhat.

Season 3 is much better as they're actually having the characters actions and reactions play off each other and it finally gives it a pulse that I felt was sorely lacking from the other series where they sort of seemed to float around each other and do things but not interact with each other over the outcomes.

Ryan is this season's weakpoint as he feels pretty shoehorned in. But there's a bit of an arching theme going on about the adults vs the kids and the divide between them this series so in some way he's there to have that play out with Joe's arc, such as having him in the board meeting to begin with and his actions in the last episode.

Three episodes to go. the finale is called NeXT

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

We do plot and plan series arcs. Nothing is accidental.

Ryan is a bit weak because he's not had much to do beyond being another wonderkid that Joe has taken advantage of. He needed to be fleshed out and compared to the more developed characters looks dull.

Ryan was trying to please Joe by making Citadel (the antivirus) free as he originally planned. Plus that's now breaching Macmillan's copyrights etc etc.

He's destroying the drive to hide evidence he had the source and thinks he's covered his tracks as a result. Either it will bite Joe or he'll wait to burn Ryan out of spite.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

wormil posted:

Also there was no such thing as cyber crime yet so all they could do is suit Ryan. Not very satisfying since he has nothing.

Luvcow posted:

I thought Norton came out in the early 80s and it was possible to recover things from wiped disks. I was just a kid but i remember my dad using it to recover things on our pc clone back then.
For FAT filesystems and DOS. What was Ryan using?

There was, but it was very very new and the authorities were struggling to suss out how to classify it.
Back in the late 1980's in Australia one of the first cases against tracking down someone who was hacking over the internet was successful with members of The Realm being successfully targeted via the Australian Federal Police creating custom keyloggers to effectively wiretap internet communications they otherwise had no way of intercepting.

There was a pretty decent doco made about this. And a free book that it's based off featuring Julian Assange.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UghlW1TsMA

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

The last two episodes did set them up as stinging over having spent nearly a decade trying to skate to where the puck is going that they're well aware that yet another big venture isn't necessarily going to work. Despite Joe being correct in it being the next big thing - just no one knows how and even when it will hit in 1995 it still has a long way to get to ubiquity.

Keep in mind around 1990 the idea of a web browser hasn't really come about outside of WorldWideWeb (Nexus). I think Donna is racing off to CERN to work this out and give someone VC cash to create the show's version of ViolaWWW or MidasWWW and compete against whatever comes out from Mutiny.

Donna's become Joe and she wants to beat Joe at his own game. Everyone's at an interesting situation where they're successes in their own right and have resources backing them so I suspect season 4 will be quite a bidding war.

Around that time there were a few other web browsers that stalled owing to poor cross-platform support or no funding. Also there's a hint of them running into another wall and being obliterated by Mosiac and Netscape around 1993 as the NeXT platform wasn't widely adopted or others ran off Unix or Ultrix so Mozilla's cross platforming became the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Dmitri-9 posted:

They must have had pretty strong assurances from AMC to leave that plot thread hanging.
They actually didn't. If you read interviews by the creators they only knew there was a renewal right after the finale. Their logic was to put in a potential continuation breadcrumb which is what they've been doing for the other seasons.

• Locked thread