Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Um.....this may actually be illegal.
Depending on your jurisdiction, of course. But, forcing people to spend money on other people....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

CommieGIR posted:

Um.....this may actually be illegal.

I don't know if its necessarily illegal but its some pretty hard core bullshit.

I just want to do my job. Management seems to want to cultivate this high school social club atmosphere. This is just the latest in a long line of stupid activities they've rolled out that if you try to opt out of you get sat down and asked "Why don't you want to be a team player?"

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

"...but there is a U in oval office!"

Hahahaha, oh man i'm gonna remember that next time i hear some team-related bullshit. Quality.

Quite A Tool posted:

Man gently caress it. You'll never know if you didn't give it a shot. Mad props even if you do pack it up. Starting a business is loving hell.

Yeah, that's how i'm looking at it. Problem is there's too many people doing the same thing. The potential for success is there, it's just really hard to make anything come of it. A lot of sleepless nights lately with it all on my mind, but ultimately it's not working so off to find something else.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Depending on your jurisdiction, of course. But, forcing people to spend money on other people....

Upper Management tends to come up with wacky ideas that they somehow, in their mind, think are brilliant but often cross very real legal lines

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
When I die, I sure hope Hell isn't a company potluck.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mooseykins posted:

Ugh, i hate teamwork.

"There's no i in team!"

No but there's a M E :smug:

Hey who hosed with my avatar :colbert:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

leica posted:

No but there's a M E :smug:

Hey who hosed with my avatar :colbert:

Maybe it was the small god of AI.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Sigma X posted:

Maybe it was the small god of AI.

The machine god is pleased, and has bestowed upon us small tokens of thanks.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Mooseykins posted:

So after 4 months of "running" my own business into the ground i'm actually worse off than when i started. Can't get enough work, i can pay all the bills and poo poo but it doesn't actually leave me anything to pay myself. I need to turn over £200-300/day and have turned £240 in the last 2 weeks. (Yet did a clutch on Saturday and got £150 for it.) Gonna fold this poo poo, go work for someone for a year to save up and move to Canada to go back to being a mech, at least until i can stay permanently and then switch back to driving.

Boo hoo Moose, another of my gently caress-ups.

Don't beat yourself up. Small business ownership is loving hard, thankless, and often very difficult to get running. Especially if you do things right, and most people don't, so they can bid cheaper. Good friends of mine had a really rough time - started a bakery, poured their heart and soul into it, and just couldn't do more than tread water. People are cheap, everyones an rear end in a top hat, and its just thankless.

Come to Canada, kick some rear end with us (legit, if you end up moving here, let me know where! If its anywhere close, I'll buy you a few rounds/take you fishing).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've been told that you should have at least a year of funding for yourself if you're going to run a small business. But, that also means it is pretty much impossible to start your own business, and it was probably something told to me by people that didn't want any competition or something.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The rash of Fury Road avatars and gang tags is perfect. in. every. way.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Mooseykins posted:

Ugh, i hate teamwork.

"There's no i in team!"

Correct. *I* don't want to be in a team.

What the actual gently caress is that bullshit? What a cuntish thing to do, gently caress that.

Don't blame you.

So after 4 months of "running" my own business into the ground i'm actually worse off than when i started. Can't get enough work, i can pay all the bills and poo poo but it doesn't actually leave me anything to pay myself. I need to turn over £200-300/day and have turned £240 in the last 2 weeks. (Yet did a clutch on Saturday and got £150 for it.) Gonna fold this poo poo, go work for someone for a year to save up and move to Canada to go back to being a mech, at least until i can stay permanently and then switch back to driving.

Boo hoo Moose, another of my gently caress-ups.

Yeah, there is an I in team. It's inside the A-hole:

I'm a fan of the "but there is a U in oval office" line, too :v:

Starting small businesses? gently caress that. Tried, sorta, failed. I'm awful at selling myself and everyone wanted the buddy price. I now work for someone else and do exactly the same kind of work, except they worry about selling and I worry about designing and building. Way more fun.

I would show up with a dozen donuts, poutine, or a cake for that potluck if forced to take part in such silly activities. What does this wellness challenge entail, anyways?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ozmiander posted:

The rash of Fury Road avatars and gang tags is perfect. in. every. way.

:perfect:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Id bring the greasiest bacon i could find, 2 dozen doughnuts, cake, and tons of soda

See whos dish gets eaten first :smug:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Excuse me while I have an e/n moment.

I woke up at 5am this morning running a fever, severe body ache, chills, and congestion. It's 1pm and things aren't much better. I'm going to die, aren't I? :ohdear:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

Excuse me while I have an e/n moment.

I woke up at 5am this morning running a fever, severe body ache, chills, and congestion. It's 1pm and things aren't much better. I'm going to die, aren't I? :ohdear:

No, but you will wish you did

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A Mad Max avatar will clear you right up, I reckon.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Mooseykins posted:

Hahahaha, oh man i'm gonna remember that next time i hear some team-related bullshit. Quality.

Yeah, that's how i'm looking at it. Problem is there's too many people doing the same thing. The potential for success is there, it's just really hard to make anything come of it. A lot of sleepless nights lately with it all on my mind, but ultimately it's not working so off to find something else.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I did my own business for 5 years because I knew poo poo 90% of others didn't within my trade so there was a huge opening for me and like I said before I had good turnover after 18 months. What I didn't know I was no big deal because I gained a lot of contacts over the years previous that I could lean on that knew more than anyone else in this entire country.

Turning awesome dollars was never the game plan, I also knew I could earn more as an employee. The simple fact is as a one man band I couldn't do the most profitable jobs, and also it takes a long time and lots of advertising to get regular work.
But I did it anyway because even working part time I could earn a living, and also have more spare time with family. I also did it for the learning experience (you need to learn where you're failing to even know where the problems are so there's no substitute for sticking your neck out there). Lastly so I could learn all the business skills needed so I could relocate to any regional town and do it all over again, even better, rather than being stuck with only moving to places where I could get a job as an employee only.

My life only went to pot due to defacto partner problems and them not wanting to move out of the city with me. The whole point of me learning to run a business while renting was to move house and do it all over again somewhere cheaper to live because I couldn't afford to buy a house in this city. So it was a practice run really, more customers in the city and not ruining a rep in a smaller town by trying out my first run there. Bit difficult to do with zero loving support and no chance in future though so I closed it down 2 years ago because there was no point to it.

But yeah, to reinforce the positives, no one knows the depth until they dive in, not many know where the weak points are until they're exposed and seen it all. Bail out and move on if that's what you feel you need to do at this point in time. Next time you'll be more the wiser.
E: I probably wouldn't be so bad off now if I bailed out a year earlier than I did.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 2, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geirskogul posted:

I've been told that you should have at least a year of funding for yourself if you're going to run a small business. But, that also means it is pretty much impossible to start your own business, and it was probably something told to me by people that didn't want any competition or something.

Nah, it's realism. If you can't afford to float at least yourself and probably the business for a year out of pocket, then you're probably not going to survive long enough to see if it takes off. And/or end up in bankruptcy when something major goes wrong (as it inevitably will, ask me about broken walk-in coolers and hood fires) and suddenly you've got no income from the business while it gets fixed, but still have bills to pay.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iirc it takes most businesses two years to turn a profit.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
So, a nurse that works at the same icu as my wife (she is also kinda in the same social sphere, we share some friends and what not) decided to look into my medical file a couple a weeks ago because she was curious or something. She mentioned it for my wife in passing when someone else asked how i was doing. My wife as a health care professional is loving livid, i myself figured it was a dick move, but nothing to go any further with. My wife (who then was a resident doing her last month of residency and my head cancer doctor (like, he is the one calling the shots for my treatment, i have no cancer in my head) then checked the log ins to my file and could confirm that this icu nurse, who had nothing to do with my treatment, had checked on my file for months. They reported it and last week she got poo poo canned and her certificate for working as a registered nurse is up for review.

She has been making a lot of drama on facebook, stating that she has been wrongfully terminated and sending nasty messages to my wife and me. I also found out that she has been feeding her friends and people who know me with more or less accurate info about my condition and treatment. A lot of these people actually figured we has asked her to be like a spokesperson or something. She also have not told anyone why she was fired, just that she got laid of due to restructuring or something

anyway, she must have triggered something in my wife today. When i was sitting at work i checked my facebook and could see a update from my wife tagging this bitch and making the background for her dismissal very public. Its a kinda lovely move, but she made my medical info a talking point so i guess her eployment status should be the same.

Oh, and my wife signed of the fb post with "enjoy the next 32 years of your career temping as a nurse assistant, while paying of your masters, witch"

i love my wife

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
My brother and I are planning on starting our own business within a year, and you guys make it seem so appealing

Edit: Forced pot-luck got ya down? Don't worry, because these sugar-free gummy bears will chase that feeling away!

stone soup fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 2, 2015

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

kastein posted:

I would show up with a dozen donuts, poutine, or a cake for that potluck if forced to take part in such silly activities. What does this wellness challenge entail, anyways?

My understanding having never taken part is that you keep a diary of "healthy activities" with points awarded depending on the activity. These activities go beyond physical exercise and include "Stress busters", "Share a story" and "pay it forward."

Went past a different department and a manager was already holding a meeting handing out assignments to maximize points. Kill me now :cripes:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Don't gently caress with HIPAA

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

fjelltorsk posted:

So, a nurse that works at the same icu as my wife (she is also kinda in the same social sphere, we share some friends and what not) decided to look into my medical file a couple a weeks ago because she was curious or something. She mentioned it for my wife in passing when someone else asked how i was doing. My wife as a health care professional is loving livid, i myself figured it was a dick move, but nothing to go any further with. My wife (who then was a resident doing her last month of residency and my head cancer doctor (like, he is the one calling the shots for my treatment, i have no cancer in my head) then checked the log ins to my file and could confirm that this icu nurse, who had nothing to do with my treatment, had checked on my file for months. They reported it and last week she got poo poo canned and her certificate for working as a registered nurse is up for review.

She has been making a lot of drama on facebook, stating that she has been wrongfully terminated and sending nasty messages to my wife and me. I also found out that she has been feeding her friends and people who know me with more or less accurate info about my condition and treatment. A lot of these people actually figured we has asked her to be like a spokesperson or something. She also have not told anyone why she was fired, just that she got laid of due to restructuring or something

anyway, she must have triggered something in my wife today. When i was sitting at work i checked my facebook and could see a update from my wife tagging this bitch and making the background for her dismissal very public. Its a kinda lovely move, but she made my medical info a talking point so i guess her eployment status should be the same.

Oh, and my wife signed of the fb post with "enjoy the next 32 years of your career temping as a nurse assistant, while paying of your masters, witch"

i love my wife

Granted I don't know about the law in your neck of the woods, but that is a severe privacy violation. There are very strict guidelines for accessing pt data for people you are not immediately treating/assisting. She got what she deserved, 100%.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Geirskogul posted:

A Mad Max avatar will clear you right up, I reckon.

Cheaper than an ambulance ride, for sure

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fjelltorsk posted:

i love my wife

you married a good woman :3:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Wally Joyner posted:

My brother and I are planning on starting our own business within a year, and you guys make it seem so appealing
Best you go in eyes open.
I had a tough time and I had no debts starting. I had $50k saved up, spent $17k of that on a vehicle and lived off the rest for a year, probably only turned over 15k while trying all sort of things that first 18 months.
Ended up being pretty good because like I said I knew stuff not many others did, and had a lot personal contacts it took a previous 5 years to build so the business was very viable. But lost heart for reasons I mentioned and also health problems so I hosed up.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 2, 2015

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Wally Joyner posted:

Edit: Forced pot-luck got ya down? Don't worry, because these sugar-free gummy bears will chase that feeling away!

Don't let it stop you. I have several friends who jumped into the pool and are doing incredibly well. They bust their asses, but its paying off. Just make sure you are prepared - the two year mark is the "make money" one, and for a lot it seems that 10 years is the "turnaround" to go from "jesus christ is this worth it" to "man I'm glad I did this." Its a long, hard battle, but if you succeed, you are awesome, and know that you built something yourself. I'm still debating doing it myself, but I live in a mining/forestry town, so albeit right now I'd probably do well, if the industry goes tits up, I'm doomed.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Wally Joyner posted:

Holy poo poo I might just do that.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Everyone should play this game:

http://playspent.org/html/

it made me physically ill and i will never complain about finances ever again

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

QuarkMartial posted:

Don't gently caress with HIPAA

Or the Norwegian analog.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fjelltorsk posted:

i love my wife

This is a HIPAA violation and she should be not only fired, but reported for violating Patient-Doctor Confidentiality.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Tusen Takk posted:

Everyone should play this game:

http://playspent.org/html/

it made me physically ill and i will never complain about finances ever again

I quit immediately. When the "game" sets you up to fail in the long term and short term, is there really any point to it except trying to drum up sympathy for the soi-distant player who is apparently a homeless, uneducated, middle-aged single parent with a history of making poor financial decisions and no work experience? Please.

These games are as stupid as the McLaughlin SPCA commercials. and by "stupid", I mean "a blatant and sickening attempt to play on people's emotions with the intent to convert the audience to the creator's (or funder's) point of view without actually presenting a factual view of the issues".

DoubleEdit: Urban Ministries of Durham (who created the game) is local to me and do a lot of good work, as well as are being very accountable. Doesn't make the game any less stupid.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 2, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sigma X posted:

I quit immediately. When the "game" sets you up to fail in the long term and short term, is there really any point to it except trying to drum up sympathy for the soi-distant player who is apparently a homeless, uneducated, middle-aged single parent with a history of making poor financial decisions and no work experience? Please.

A lot of the poo poo that happens (you talked to a union dude and your boss canned you even though it's illegal) would probably not happen irl and if it did happen you can lawyer up (possibly even pro bono depending on where you live). it doesnt give you a lot of options in what to do in a given situation either, but idk if it's supposed to be from the viewpoint of someone who has little education/critical thinking skills or whatever.

i survived 30 days though :shrug:

I agree with you, but i think it's more targeted to the FYGM type of people who arent as cynical as us

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
There's too many sigma x usernames on this forum

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Sigma X posted:

I quit immediately. When the "game" sets you up to fail in the long term and short term,
Someone should tell mindphlux in GWS about this.
But I played it longer and it sucks. The car got repoed so I lost my "job", but it still stuck me with car insurance and other car related costs.
Also :lol: , because I live like this now already, and I don't want to read about USA problems that are stupid.

CommieGIR posted:

This is a HIPAA violation and she should be not only fired, but reported for violating Patient-Doctor Confidentiality.
Also :lol: I don't want to read about USA problems that are stupid.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 2, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i paid the extra $50 in rent so i could walk to work since travel expenses suck

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Tusen Takk posted:

...little education/critical thinking skills or whatever...

Well, the only available jobs were office temp, waiter, or warehouse worker. The first thing you gotta do is rent a house, meaning you didn't have housing before (although you somehow have enough poo poo that doesn't fit in the new place that you can sell it for $150). You have to chose a health plan (which is, by the way, excessively expensive based on the cost of plans in the area the game was made) and if you actually buy an ACA plan, it says your kid's covered. You own a gas-powered vehicle, and have a cellular plan (an expensive one, at that), but then you don't get yourself and your child flu-immunizations even though you have a healthcare plan. You're struggling to pay rent, but you have a pet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sigma X posted:

Well, the only available jobs were office temp, waiter, or warehouse worker. The first thing you gotta do is rent a house, meaning you didn't have housing before (although you somehow have enough poo poo that doesn't fit in the new place that you can sell it for $150). You have to chose a health plan (which is, by the way, excessively expensive based on the cost of plans in the area the game was made) and if you actually buy an ACA plan, it says your kid's covered. You own a gas-powered vehicle, and have a cellular plan (an expensive one, at that), but then you don't get yourself and your child flu-immunizations even though you have a healthcare plan. You're struggling to pay rent, but you have a pet.

Those health plan prices are depressingly accurate in most areas.

• Locked thread