Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Those health plan prices are depressingly accurate in most areas.

Yup, my health plan is $65/cheque with a $35 copay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
What were they?
When I was employed (in Australia), you're kind of forced onto it, or penalised when you do your annual tax income forms anyway - the loading (penalty) goes up every year after 30 y/o or something. Our government really wants future sick people and retirees off the public health system and off pensions.
I was paying $40 p/w for both me and my partner. Now I'm broke of course I pay nothing and hospitals are free . Doctors g/p clinic visits are $75 and the most you can get back for copay is $35 no matter who you are. It's up the the individual Doc if they want to be nice a charge you half price (ie only get $35-40 after they do their claim from the government so you don't get charged personally).
E: we have a hosed up half private, half public system. Small things are charged - GP, scans etc; big things like critical/urgent care at hospitals are not charged.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 2, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It was like $225-$322/month

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Need more automotive fiction in my life.

Indeed. that was some good poo poo.

Tusen Takk posted:

i made spam fried rice

I am OK with this. Spam is fine, if it's not just out of the can. Fry it, and it's pretty good. I should note, however, that I do not have refined foody senses (obviously.)

goatse guy posted:

I helped sell 53 cars last month AND the person that was making my life miserable got fired. May treated me well.

Right on! 'Bout time for some good news.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Spent the weekend in Texas, that was enough to convince me I never want to go back. Hot, humid and lovely...I don't see the appeal. Driving between cities there's just nothing and everything looks run down.

Texas was a good time even if I didn't get to spend any time exploring Austin. TWS is a armpit of a facility but a fun track, way higher speed than I've ever been on before. Came in 5th in our class largely thanks too three unscheduled and long pit stops. We expected to be running in the rain all weekend but ended up only having one 5 minute downpour Saturday afternoon. Hell of a good weekend.

Don't judge Texas by what's around Austin. there's plenty of pretty countryside around - we've got pretty much every kind of biosphere found in the US.
Yeah, of course it's hot and humid - it had been raining for a month before you got here. Normally Austin and points north aren't quite so bad with the humidity - we leave the dripping wet to Houston. Well, most of it. It does get pretty thick here in DFW. The heat, well... that's Texas. And it's not even actually hot yet. You barely got a taste. I prefer it to being frozen for six months, and everything being rusted to poo poo because: salt.

M42 posted:

Ack, had the same problem as some other goon with the space (between av and tag) not registering. Any way to fix it?

Anyways, bieks:

Toying with the idea of buying some shitass beater bike and making it into something like this. Bout time I learned to weld, anyway!

Those are some sweet apocalyptic rides. I can't decide which one I like best, though I'm kind of leaning towards the Gold Wing set up for dirt, or one of the sport-bikes dirtified.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Supercharger War Boys!

Who the hell did STR's new AV? It's a work of art.

The Interceptor's blower has always been the biggest grab for me. I mean, the whole package is awesome, but without the blower...
And yeah, STRs avatar is superb.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I took the concept of him still rocking the pig and all I could see was Toecutter's fursona :v:

Your work is appreciated!

Holdbrooks posted:

Mad max bosozoku truck would be sweet. But I need two more turbos and a couple of superchargers.

And? Get on it!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Liquid Communism posted:

"bat country" - baseball bat, maybe.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm never going to recognise you or your posts again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

Also :lol: I don't want to read about USA problems that are stupid.

So stop reading the general chat thread :shrug:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Coal boilers continue to be fuckin awesome. There's so much to these things.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

fjelltorsk posted:

So, a nurse that works at the same icu as my wife (she is also kinda in the same social sphere, we share some friends and what not) decided to look into my medical file a couple a weeks ago because she was curious or something. She mentioned it for my wife in passing when someone else asked how i was doing. My wife as a health care professional is loving livid, i myself figured it was a dick move, but nothing to go any further with. My wife (who then was a resident doing her last month of residency and my head cancer doctor (like, he is the one calling the shots for my treatment, i have no cancer in my head) then checked the log ins to my file and could confirm that this icu nurse, who had nothing to do with my treatment, had checked on my file for months. They reported it and last week she got poo poo canned and her certificate for working as a registered nurse is up for review.

She has been making a lot of drama on facebook, stating that she has been wrongfully terminated and sending nasty messages to my wife and me. I also found out that she has been feeding her friends and people who know me with more or less accurate info about my condition and treatment. A lot of these people actually figured we has asked her to be like a spokesperson or something. She also have not told anyone why she was fired, just that she got laid of due to restructuring or something

anyway, she must have triggered something in my wife today. When i was sitting at work i checked my facebook and could see a update from my wife tagging this bitch and making the background for her dismissal very public. Its a kinda lovely move, but she made my medical info a talking point so i guess her eployment status should be the same.

Oh, and my wife signed of the fb post with "enjoy the next 32 years of your career temping as a nurse assistant, while paying of your masters, witch"

i love my wife

Your wife is amazing.

I work in the life insurance field (back office) and smart people do not gently caress around with privacy violations, and that's why. The real question is, how many other people did she do this to? And what else did she do with personal info?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Alarbus posted:

I work in the life insurance field (back office) and smart people do not gently caress around with privacy violations, and that's why. The real question is, how many other people did she do this to? And what else did she do with personal info?

I was a Sys Admin for a hospital for 6 years. You do NOT gently caress with records. You are dead on the money.

Chances are, the hospital needs to carry out a very in depth investigation right now into how many other records she dug through, as HIPAA will go nuts if they find out about even one incident like this, let alone if she felt it was appropriate to dig through anyone elses.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

So today is my birthday and 14 inch decided to be the coolest dude as usual and get me an avatar and all. Much like being approached by Joe or other gang leaders such as Cobra by your locker, you just can't refuse.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mat_Drinks in the last thread posted:

So I test drove an e92 M3 today after work. White exterior with the funky red interior like a proper blood bag. Man, what a car and what a sound it makes.

I promised myself I wouldn't buy one until I test drive a C63, so there's that to look forward to
I've been trying to tell you this!!

AW & Fox Red is pretty slick - was it the extended leather? I see a lot of people who didn't get extended (Fox Red specifically) looking for interior piece upgrades because the dark stuff around the shifter/center console looks a little odd.

Despite Alpine White being the most popular color for NA E92's, I still seem to see considerably more of the two black variants out in SoCal (surprisingly with the sun/heat.)
Personally I don't think the black cars show the lines on this car as well as other shades.

This pdf has a list of all the NA production numbers so you can see how rare your color combo is.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=899455&d=1376330183

Definitely want to hear your thoughts once you drive the C63 in comparison.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

:mediocre: day at work, I get a call from my wife saying we have a letter saying we owe more money on the house we sold, then I get another call from my wife saying she's off to collect our kid early, he "split his skull" at school. So I said gently caress it, cleared it with my boss in 1 sentence and left to see which mess I can sort.

By the time I got home I'd got a call to clarify he'd fallen of a fence (pillock) and split his scalp, it had been glued back together at the hospital in half an hour with no ill effects, then a text saying the bank letter was sorted. My wife is ace.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ozmiander posted:

The rash of Fury Road avatars and gang tags is perfect. in. every. way.

I loved that Ripsaw mini tank. It's only improved by the Charger body.

Goober Peas posted:

Excuse me while I have an e/n moment.

I woke up at 5am this morning running a fever, severe body ache, chills, and congestion. It's 1pm and things aren't much better. I'm going to die, aren't I? :ohdear:

Yes. All that is questionable is the timing of the thing.

Wally Joyner posted:

Edit: Forced pot-luck got ya down? Don't worry, because these sugar-free gummy bears will chase that feeling away!

Oh. Yes, this is perfect!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
protip: the guy with the scandianvian screen name might be in the People's Republic of FULL-ON-EUROPEAN-COMMUNISM where US laws only work half of the time

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
So another thing you can do for "Wellness points" is do a "Financial Wellness Assessment" since my company also offers savings and retirement plans. You look at your situation and post what you think you can do to improve it.

I wonder how quickly I'd get fired for saying I should look for a job with a Defined Benefit plan instead of my company's lovely rear end Defined Contribution plan.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

CommieGIR posted:

So stop reading the general chat thread :shrug:

Sorry. The main point was claiming a USA act applies to the rest of world, as fjelltorsk lives in one of those Scandinavian freedom lands. Nothing personal or general about the USA, just specifically not really relevant.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 2, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Siochain posted:

Don't beat yourself up. Small business ownership is loving hard, thankless, and often very difficult to get running. Especially if you do things right, and most people don't, so they can bid cheaper. Good friends of mine had a really rough time - started a bakery, poured their heart and soul into it, and just couldn't do more than tread water.

Yeah, i'm not massively worried about it to be honest. I haven't lost a great deal of money, i just haven't really made any either. I'm down on what i started with (nothing) but not to some totally financially-crippling point. Time to clear the company bank account (£1,200) fold that poo poo up and find something else.

Exactly like your friends, i can tread water but i end up not actually making anything once the bills are paid, in 4 months i haven't actually paid myself anything.

Siochain posted:

People are cheap, everyones an rear end in a top hat, and its just thankless.

Ain't that the truth!

Looking at the sites where people post jobs for freight/courier work and then couriers bid on those jobs. Man, i don't know how anyone makes and money from that poo poo. I was lowest bid (By a fair way) on a load of international work and they just didn't accept any price. Listings went dead, nothing.

The other day i was looking, 3-bedroom house move across London. Lowest bid was £249. How do you compete with that???

Siochain posted:

Come to Canada, kick some rear end with us (legit, if you end up moving here, let me know where! If its anywhere close, I'll buy you a few rounds/take you fishing).

Definitely on it. I need to swing by in a few months and scout some places. I don't mind where i go for at least the first 1-3 years, once i can get permanent residency i can move and switch back to driving if need be. Qualified mech so eligible to move as a skilled worker in demand. (Also looking into working holiday visa, get truck licence and a driving job, then by the time the visa expires i'll be eligible to stay as a worker in demand.)

Whereabouts are you, Ontario? 100% up for that poo poo. (Although i don't drink.)

Geirskogul posted:

I've been told that you should have at least a year of funding for yourself if you're going to run a small business.

Yeah, i've heard similar. Starting a business wasn't really a planned thing though. I was working for a friend for a year beforehand, he strew a strop when he didn't get this way one day and basically hosed me off out of it. This was after 2 weeks with my van off the road, a week with no work over Christmas and 2 weeks of him not talking to me over another stupid thing, so i lost my job when i was 5 weeks down on money. (~£2,000) Also, the money i did have saved had just been poured into my van as it had dropped 5th gear.

I'd also be better off now if it wasn't for mechanical set-backs, like breaking a spring (£300), buckling the propshaft (£230) and the clutch/flywheel failing (£635). But that's not a night and day difference. Having £1,165 extra still wouldn't make all this poo poo worthwhile or viably profitable.

kastein posted:

Starting small businesses? gently caress that. Tried, sorta, failed. I'm awful at selling myself and everyone wanted the buddy price.

I did this too when i was a mech and had the shop at my disposal. Instead of laying down a price and sticking to it, i did too much work for "mates rates" and totally sold myself short. Especially on major poo poo like engine swaps and fabrication work.

Fo3 posted:

But yeah, to reinforce the positives, no one knows the depth until they dive in, not many know where the weak points are until they're exposed and seen it all. Bail out and move on if that's what you feel you need to do at this point in time. Next time you'll be more the wiser.

Yeah. Doing the work is no problem, i can move everything safely and efficiently, have all the right gear etc. But getting the work is the problem. Luckily it's not like i had big overheads with premesis and rent, rates, bills, etc. Just my van, running costs, insurance, etc. So it's not a huge loss to walk away from.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys, you rock. :unsmith:

:stare:

What. The. gently caress? Not only going into very private poo poo, but sharing it with other people? That's mad hosed up dude.

Your wife is a badass though, top girl. Over here that would be a massive breach of doctor/patient confidentiality. I think you can end up in court over that poo poo, never mind being terminated.

Phone posted:

protip: the guy with the scandianvian screen name might be in the People's Republic of FULL-ON-EUROPEAN-COMMUNISM where US laws only work half of the time

Correct, he's in Norway.

1500quidporsche posted:

I wonder how quickly I'd get fired for saying I should look for a job with a Defined Benefit plan instead of my company's lovely rear end Defined Contribution plan.

Only one way to find out. Amirite? :smug:

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 2, 2015

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Wally Joyner posted:

My brother and I are planning on starting our own business within a year, and you guys make it seem so appealing

Don't let us all put you off! - give it a try! It can be really satisfying and make you money, but it is hard work. Don't expect holidays.

I am in the process of getting out of the business I have co-owned for the last 13 years because I have had enough of it and I want my life back.

I feel like running a business is like having a full time job and then having to do another job on top of it (the running the business/being the boss part). Over the last 2 years I didn't get paid for the second job part because there is no money in the local area and the work I do subsidises the rest of the company.

I am planning on spending the next 12 months working as a consultant on my own (as a different business) keeping the work that actually pays me well. I am currently in the weird position that I have to choose how many days I *want* to work after September.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

Well, most of the time anyways

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Liquid Communism posted:

:perfect:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
And just got an email that they're bringing in management consultants to review everything. Last department they swept through now has the managers all spewing out keywords and using "strategies" from management fads. Great way to end the workday.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My god that sugarless gummy bear idea is evil and I love it.

And yeah HIPAA does not apply to Norway.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

1500quidporsche posted:

And just got an email that they're bringing in management consultants to review everything. Last department they swept through now has the managers all spewing out keywords and using "strategies" from management fads. Great way to end the workday.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

1500quidporsche posted:

Workplace synergy at its best. :agesilaus:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

kastein posted:

My god that sugarless gummy bear idea is evil and I love it.

The best part is that everybody is going to think its the homemade potluck monstrosities long before they ever consider the gummy bears.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

1500quidporsche posted:

Wait until you're having monthly mandatory "Town Hall" meetings so the CEO du annum can hear himself talk for an hour-plus while everyone else stands uncomfortably in a hot amphitheater listening to the same terrible loving spiel the CEO from last year and the CEO from the year before that (I've been here 13 years so... extrapolate how many different excited-about-their-future-golden-parachutes new leaders I've heard do this) about "Making a road map" and "SCRUM" and "Kanban" and "Agile lean development befitting a start-up" while being a $billion-dollar-a-year-in-EBITDA company.

There's only SO excited a person can get hearing in detail about the record profits we made for the 10th year in a row and yet somehow everyone's raises except the top exec bonuses are always held up "because of the economy".

Yes please tell us more about these outstanding middle management strategies boiled up in the sweatshops of Japan's auto industry in the 80's where "Underachieving" employees will ritualistically commit hari-kari for their unmitigated shame at only producing 97% of expected output regardless of who's fault the lack of results was. That sound? That is the orchestra of morale soaring!

Don't even get me started about forced march goal-setting that takes my team out of service for a week, boils down to fundamentally 'Tell me what to write down, goddammit, and I WILL, stop making me guess' and has to be done every quarter

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

Sorry. The main point was claiming a USA act applies to the rest of world, as fjelltorsk lives in one of those Scandinavian freedom lands. Nothing personal or general about the USA, just specifically not really relevant.

Oh, my misunderstanding then, I thought he was in the US :doh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fjelltorsk posted:

Oh, and my wife signed of the fb post with "enjoy the next 32 years of your career temping as a nurse assistant, while paying of your masters, witch"

i love my wife
Your wife is awesome and that nurse deserves everything coming to her. You do not gently caress around with records but if you're stupid enough to talk about a non-patients info...

Darchangel posted:

Don't judge Texas by what's around Austin. there's plenty of pretty countryside around - we've got pretty much every kind of biosphere found in the US.
Yeah, of course it's hot and humid - it had been raining for a month before you got here. Normally Austin and points north aren't quite so bad with the humidity - we leave the dripping wet to Houston. Well, most of it. It does get pretty thick here in DFW. The heat, well... that's Texas. And it's not even actually hot yet. You barely got a taste. I prefer it to being frozen for six months, and everything being rusted to poo poo because: salt.
I do plan on making a trip back at some point because I wanted to see Austin and Circuit of the Americas. Likely head back for a Moto GP/F1 race or I heard M-Fest may be hosted there next year. We saw some of the aftermath of the flooding driving between Austin, College Station and Kileen.

1500quidporsche posted:

Consultants, that's always a wonderful sign.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Don't even get me started about forced march goal-setting that takes my team out of service for a week, boils down to fundamentally 'Tell me what to write down, goddammit, and I WILL, stop making me guess' and has to be done every quarter
Oh god goals, I hate that poo poo. We have to make up 5-10 personal goals then another 5-10 are automatically imported for us even though they have NOTHING to do with us. Then at the end of the year even when I exceed the goals I made the company wide imported goals are never met so our bonuses get screwed.

I was fed amazing food and played with a baby racoon last night until way too late and didn't even take any pictures of the goofy little thing. They're looking for a home for it and I'm thinking about it. Seems like a terrible idea so it should be perfect.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 2, 2015

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
We already have those town halls but quarterly. Its all a giant jerk off to the CEO. Let's prattle on about how our competitors are weak and feeble but we have excellent growth opportunities that you're willing to invest nothing into.

I swear to god if I hear that my market segment is a "huge potential for growth" while I'm still using a pricing program from the 90s and using pricing methods that I can't at all justify to our clients one more time I'm just going to jump out the window right there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Put a new phone system in with no budget and at managements request, now everybody wants the 8+ year old phone system back.

ARGHHHHH!

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Fo3 posted:

Best you go in eyes open.

I agree. Thanks, AI. :3:
I don't expect it to be easy but, I'm honestly done working for someone else and, I believe our idea is viable.

It's going to be a hell of a learning experience, and certainly good to know that it might take a couple years for the idea
to ferment.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 2, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Oh god goals, I hate that poo poo. We have to make up 5-10 personal goals then another 5-10 are automatically imported for us even though they have NOTHING to do with us. Then at the end of the year even when I exceed the goals I made the company wide imported goals are never met so our bonuses get screwed.

I was fed amazing food and played with a baby racoon last night until way too late and didn't even take any pictures of the goofy little thing. They're looking for a home for it and I'm thinking about it. Seems like a terrible idea so it should be perfect.

I'm playing that one now. I committed to getting two new certifications done by mid year... then the corp rolled out mandatory OEM certs for one of our manufacturers that require I actually study for them, and will only issue one voucher at a time. So I can't even request the voucher for the certs I was supposed to do until I get all of these new required ones done. There goes that eval...

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Daaamn, I missed out on the gang tag shenanigans.. :(

edit: Stupid school.. Always interfering with my interneting.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Phone posted:

Oh, I know he's not in the U.S. I'm generally assuming that that kind of personal information breach is handled pretty severely in most places. I mean, if he was in the U.S., he could be suing her for all sorts of stuff, whereas I'd presume in Socialist Northern Europe she'd be fired and they'd investigate thoroughly.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thought I would just pop in and share another tale about unintended acceleration, vis a vis Toyota. My soon-to-be-inlaws are legendary in their ability to abuse and neglect vehicles, so it comes as no surprise that their car was filthy when we used it to pick them up from the airport, what was surprising was that apparently they doubled up on floormats, cheap lovely ones at that, and that one of them was already riding up onto the accelerator. Guess how I found out this little factoid? Gave it a little bit extra throttle coming onto an expressway and then after successfully merging I'm like "whoa, it just wants to GO" Quick stab of the brakes and slapped the shifter into neutral as I'm trying to coast to the shoulder to figure out why it all of a sudden loves bouncing off redline. Goddamn floor mats, and I swear the drat pedal has a little hook to latch onto them.

So that's my Toyota story. '13 Venza for those who want a model to go with the story.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

keykey posted:

Daaamn, I missed out on the gang tag shenanigans.. :(

edit: Stupid school.. Always interfering with my interneting.

You haven't missed out, people are still buying them

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If anyone screws up a newline or anything on their new av+tag, let me know and I should be able to fix it. I've got one queued already but I'm pretty sure there were others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

You haven't missed out, people are still buying them

Where is this buying of gang tags you speak of?

• Locked thread