Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Meinberg posted:

It really depends on what your core engagement with the game is, and in what ways the game is failing to meet your expectations or desires. If your poor rolls are keeping you from participating in the game, that is an issue somewhere, either with the design of the game, the encounter design that your DM is presenting, or just a case of poor luck.

I'm not as familiar with 5th edition, but it's also possible that the class of fighter or role of front line combatant are not hitting your core engagements in some way, and you might want to consider seeing if there is someone else who wants to take on that role while you look at other options.

Your lack of fun might also come from the group dynamic or from the overall emphasis of the game. I don't know enough about your own tastes and why exactly things aren't fun for you to provide a better answer.

If their poor combat rolls have consistently been *the* thing keeping them from participating in the game, and if it's happening with another player too, I kind of feel like that's less a poor luck problem and more a 'yo maybe this DM should give them opportunities to participate that don't involve stabbin' stuff a bunch and it is a Warning Sign if the DM is simply like WELP TOO BAD' problem

Though if combat's what you're there for idk what to tell you.

really idk in general the whole of my experience with D&D is playing a pixie barbarian in a 4e game with something like ten players that selfdestructed like 2-3 sessions in :ohdear:

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Ningyou posted:

is ke$ha the official soundtrack of gamma world

I'm going to give it a shot! I think there's huge room in the setting as written. every player is two halves of different classes. wheeled octoid, atomic ai, psychic hummingbird, etc.

play it loose and trashy, run every enemy straight and structural, and fill the world with slime.

Davin Valkri posted:

Also someone who uses a "$" as a substitute for an "s" sounds...ta$tele$$.

I'm sorry you apparently don't "get" trash aesthetic.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 1, 2015

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Trash is a pretty cool aesthetic. There's something strangely magical about the junkyard, the culmination of useful garbage, ignored and tossed away, waiting for the careful to plunder its depths.

Much like the human heart, in a way.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Meinberg posted:

Trash is a pretty cool aesthetic. There's something strangely magical about the junkyard, the culmination of useful garbage, ignored and tossed away, waiting for the careful to plunder its depths.

It's nothing like that, you dumbass. Where are the valves. Where are the loving valves and chambers.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Meinberg posted:

I thought this sort of thing was called "found art"?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
the valves and chambers were inside you all along.

Dec 26, 2012

Meinberg posted:

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

trash AND MORE SPECIFICALLY GAY ANIME TRASH is the only aesthetic i know

also i'm not saying I'M a husk of skin and weird fleshy bits wrapped around a core of anime garbage and brought to life through the strange magicks of some ill-intentioned ""cummie conjurer"" but gay anime trash makes a nice replacement for a human heart, y'know, in a pinch

i-i mean

n-not that i'd know or anything i just read RENOWNED ONLINE MEDICAL AUTHORITY "weeb MD" a lot okay jeez

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

If you truly are an anime why don't you like exalted more? HUH!?

askin the tough questions here

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

"like" "exalted"

sorry i don't understand what those words mean in that order

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

look exalted has a fine histo- *starts vomiting uncontrollably*

Oh god no, I've said too much...... oh god why!?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

okay this thread is now about being an anime but like not gross and longwinded and Too Anime like exalted

let's talk about anime elfgames that don't have weird gross rapewizard poo poo or ~~~~~~~~~~~ravishing~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ or w/e

i'd be like GOLLY HOW BOUT WE SHARE OUR FIRST EXPERIENCES WITH ANIME-THEMED ELFGAMES bc ~inspired~ by the LESSER JUNEY-COME-LATELY CHAT THREAD but not sure if good idea help

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fosborb posted:

the valves and chambers were inside you all along.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My first anime elfgame was ROBOTECH

I played the BEEF BARON. He flew a robot that looked like it was wearing a tuxedo in its robot mode and looked like a really badly painted F-14 in its jet mode. We flew around, following the insane whims of Captain Random Table, and when we found bases filled with commie insurgents we'd pick up their jets and use them like golf clubs against cars and commies.

I'm not sure if this is better or worse than Exalted.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ningyou posted:

okay this thread is now about being an anime but like not gross and longwinded and Too Anime like exalted

let's talk about anime elfgames that don't have weird gross rapewizard poo poo or ~~~~~~~~~~~ravishing~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ or w/e

i'd be like GOLLY HOW BOUT WE SHARE OUR FIRST EXPERIENCES WITH ANIME-THEMED ELFGAMES bc ~inspired~ by the LESSER JUNEY-COME-LATELY CHAT THREAD but not sure if good idea help

You first

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

holy poo poo

the beef baron is my new favourite anime and i feel as though i will be forever indebted to you for introducing me to this deep-fried dandere delight

also my first anime was a lighthearted spiritual sequel to Event Horizon that i ran in Maid RPG

or this disaster of a Vampire game I played in high school that served as MY GATEWAY DRUG TO GAMES ABOUT ELFS idk does that count as sufficiently anime

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 2, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ningyou posted:

holy poo poo

the beef baron is my new favourite anime and i feel as though i will be forever indebted to you for introducing me to this deep-fried dandere delight

also my first anime was a lighthearted spiritual sequel to Event Horizon that i ran in Maid RPG

or this disaster of a Vampire game I played in high school that served as MY GATEWAY DRUG TO GAMES ABOUT ELFS idk does that count as sufficiently anime

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gunky Junket please stop posting.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

that's the dumbest emoji i've seen all week :getout: like what is that even supposed to be, a long-dead laughing poop emoji spoken of only in centuries-old legend and reborn as an anime or something

the key to good emojis is that htey communicate concepts and words and feelings and that is the equivalent of handing someone a sheet of sandpaper with a =^_^= drawn in the middle in chalk and being like NO SEE THIS IS MY FAVOURITE MANGA IT'S JUST IN BRAILLE IS ALL

it's just

unclear and unhelpful

GOD

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ningyou posted:

that's the dumbest emoji i've seen all week :getout: like what is that even supposed to be, a long-dead laughing poop emoji spoken of only in centuries-old legend and reborn as an anime or something

the key to good emojis is that htey communicate concepts and words and feelings and that is the equivalent of handing someone a sheet of sandpaper with a =^_^= drawn in the middle in chalk and being like NO SEE THIS IS MY FAVOURITE MANGA IT'S JUST IN BRAILLE IS ALL

it's just

unclear and unhelpful

GOD

FactsAreUseless posted:

Gunky Junket please stop posting.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

So you're saying that your introduction to TTRPGs was FATE? I think?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I feel like this Saber is quite the cutting remark.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Stormgale posted:

stormgale pls

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ningyou posted:

stormgale pls

Pls make more puns, all right but just for ning you

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Stormgale posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=446045350#post446045672

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

gODD AMNIT STORMGALE :frogout:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Not sure which of you or saber is the bigger Royal pain in my rear end

Ningyou posted:

gODD AMNIT STORMGALE :frogout:

Without me how can we have a princess and the :frogout: story?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Four. Four Gunky Junkets.... I never thought I'd live to see the day...

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

What is a gunky junket? I do not comprehend.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I'll have you know that I've never played an anime elfgame, because my tastes are refined and high brow and such.

That game where I repurposed D&D so that the PCs controlled giant robots with their mind and got a flying city and had to fight haughty bishonen precursors was absolutely not anime at all.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Davin Valkri posted:

What is a gunky junket? I do not comprehend.
I DON'T KNOW I HAVE THE ANIME DISEASE WHERE ALL OF EFFECTRONICA'S POSTS JUST LOOK LIKE A VAGUE SALTINESS-SHAPED BLUR TO ME I'M GETTING ALL THIS SECONDHAND

but no uh googling it looks like they were some poster goons didn't like because genderqueer and ~posting wrong~ or something idk

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, that's what it was, Gunky Junket was just too genderqueer to handle. She wasn't an insane person posting 5,000-word rambling essays and PMing literally half the forums.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seriously though you post real bad, I don't know if it's a dumb gimmick or what but it's real bad.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

I keep trying to wrap my head around Chuubo, aka peak anime the game, but I feel as though I won't be able to grok the mechanics unless I actually play a game or two. In the meantime, OVA is a strong hit of anime elfgame...

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Seriously though you post real bad, I don't know if it's a dumb gimmick or what but it's real bad.

:ironicat:

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

g-gosh, hearing something like that from you, i feel like crying tears of joy and pride

thanks, fau :unsmith:

Back on topic:

FewtureMD posted:

I keep trying to wrap my head around Chuubo, aka peak anime the game, but I feel as though I won't be able to grok the mechanics unless I actually play a game or two. In the meantime, OVA is a strong hit of anime elfgame...

I want to try Chubbo but god, as interested as I am that corebook kinda seems like distilled tl;dr

also i will never not call it Chubbo sorry not sorry

Dec 26, 2012

Nah.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I'll never understand trolls :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ningyou posted:

I want to try Chubbo but god, as interested as I am that corebook kinda seems like distilled tl;dr

also i will never not call it Chubbo sorry not sorry

Wait its actually not Chubbo :stare:

• Locked thread