Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
I look at camping/backpacking this way: You just need to bring enough stuff for you to not die until you get back to your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Whatever happened to that guy who was going camping by himself in the Sierra Nevadas a few years ago? Last time I checked he had never posted again.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

gnarlyhotep posted:

Whatever happened to that guy who was going camping by himself in the Sierra Nevadas a few years ago? Last time I checked he had never posted again.

Probably didn't bring enough stuff to not die. A common mistake.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

gnarlyhotep posted:

is it bad that i laughed out loud after reading this

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I guess I'm ready

Gonna get a mobile DirecTV receiver installed this week.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Here's a great cost effective knife OP I highly recommend them: http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Comp...BYS6318WKXRRYA2

Also I hope you don't get eaten by a bear but I hope you get to see a bear.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

gnarlyhotep posted:

when goons reach the end of their life-cycle, they wander into the wilderness to die alone

naem
May 29, 2011

Here are some very good tfr (teefer) threads to lurk

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474554

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490050

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Milsurp gear is actually pretty garbage in general for hiking and backpacking. It makes for great cheap car camping gear that nobody's going to steal, but that's about it. It's just simply not designed for the same purposes -- for instance, BDU's are great and all if you're worried about catching on fire, but they take forever to dry out when they get wet. Military backpacks are great for shooting a rifle while crouched without having a backpack bump the back of your head, or if you need to carry around 30 hand grenades a laptop and two radios, but pretty poo poo if you're trying to carry 20lb of gear for 20 miles without having your pack catch on tree branches every 10 feet.

Don't pack water in if you're staying overnight. Find a good water source and bring one of those sawyer filters or aqua mira drops when its below freezing. Whoever said you need a better filter is wrong, unless you're filtering water for multiple people.

Don't hike in anything made out of cotton, especially in the winter. Cotton takes forever to dry out, which means hypothermia once night hits. Treat your clothing like a layering system where each piece serves a specific purpose rather than a wardrobe or fashion statement. Nobody cares what you look like on the trail. You don't want a jacket that's warm and waterproof; you want a warm jacket, and a waterproof jacket so you can have the choice between wearing one, the other, or both. Also think in terms of layers, each layer you wear is going to add a bit of extra warmth. Have a spare set of clothes in a dry-bag to sleep in (long johns, long shirt, beanie, liner gloves, socks, sandals)

Waterproof boots are a joke for everything but deep snow. They typically don't do a good job of keeping water out, but they do a great job of keeping water in. This is why you see most of the serious hikers wearing shoes that look more like running shoes -- a shoe that dries quickly is better than one that half assedly attempts to keep water out.

Gropiemon posted:

Here's a great cost effective knife OP I highly recommend them: http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Comp...BYS6318WKXRRYA2

Also I hope you don't get eaten by a bear but I hope you get to see a bear.

This knife owns bones for the price. But it should be noted that you should look up your local knife laws before getting something to carry around on hikes. For instance this knife is illegal as hell in Seattle.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 1, 2015

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Milsurp gear is actually pretty garbage in general for hiking and backpacking. It makes for great cheap car camping gear that nobody's going to steal, but that's about it. It's just simply not designed for the same purposes -- for instance, BDU's are great and all if you're worried about catching on fire, but they take forever to dry out when they get wet. Military backpacks are great for shooting a rifle while crouched without having a backpack bump the back of your head, or if you need to carry around 30 hand grenades a laptop and two radios, but pretty poo poo if you're trying to carry 20lb of gear for 20 miles without having your pack catch on tree branches every 10 feet.

Don't pack water in if you're staying overnight. Find a good water source and bring one of those sawyer filters or aqua mira drops when its below freezing. Whoever said you need a better filter is wrong, unless you're filtering water for multiple people.

Don't hike in anything made out of cotton, especially in the winter. Cotton takes forever to dry out, which means hypothermia once night hits. Treat your clothing like a layering system where each piece serves a specific purpose rather than a wardrobe or fashion statement. Nobody cares what you look like on the trail. You don't want a jacket that's warm and waterproof; you want a warm jacket, and a waterproof jacket so you can have the choice between wearing one, the other, or both. Also think in terms of layers, each layer you wear is going to add a bit of extra warmth. Have a spare set of clothes in a dry-bag to sleep in (long johns, long shirt, beanie, liner gloves, socks, sandals)

Waterproof boots are a joke for everything but deep snow. They typically don't do a good job of keeping water out, but they do a great job of letting water in. This is why you see most of the serious hikers wearing shoes that look more like running shoes -- a shoe that dries quickly is better than one that half assedly attempts to keep water out.

pro read, but did not answer my question about bear sex

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

OMGVBFLOL posted:

pro read, but did not answer my question about bear sex

sorry i'm a bottom bear

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
human being hell!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I heat that if you have sex in the woods, bears can smell it and then will kill you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
but if you have scat sex, it will think youre both dead and leave you alone

consider pooping on her next time

• Locked thread