Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What was the first game you ever played? How badly did you mess up the rules? Some friends and I tried to play a lot of Second Edition Dungeons and Dragons but it turns out that it doesn't make any sense to children and we mostly just got confused and hosed things up. And we didn't do well in the game, either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Top Ten Most Mad Max Films:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. The Handmaid's Tale
3. The Hunger Games
4. Mean Girls
5. Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
6. Mad Max: The Road Warrior
7. Bridesmaids
8. Untitled Melissa McCarthy Project (2017)
9. Josie and the Pussycats
10. Mad Max

Serf
May 5, 2011

Technically D&D 3.0, but that was an online game that consisted of me making a character and playing one session where I didn't roll the dice once or even really talk because apparently it was Husband-Wife Paladin Power Hour and no one told me and my poor barbarian Thag. I decided not to come back after that miserable experience.

I count 4E as my first actual RPG. I DMed for a group of my college friends and we had a blast. They wrestled with a scorpion, fought robots and a goblin with a shotgun, crashed an airship. One guy played a wizard who was just MLB pitcher Brian Wilson. We played for maybe six months every few weeks or so, but I hosed up the XP rules and didn't split it between them so they were probably level 16 by that time.

Game ended when most of the party (who were basically anarchists) turned on the one "good" member of the team and the climactic fight of the session turned into PvP. The player was okay with it, but after that no one really wanted to get back together. Kinda a bad way to end it, but to this day we all remember the campaign fondly.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Serf posted:

Technically D&D 3.0, but that was an online game that consisted of me making a character and playing one session where I didn't roll the dice once or even really talk because apparently it was Husband-Wife Paladin Power Hour and no one told me and my poor barbarian Thag. I decided not to come back after that miserable experience.

I count 4E as my first actual RPG. I DMed for a group of my college friends and we had a blast. They wrestled with a scorpion, fought robots and a goblin with a shotgun, crashed an airship. One guy played a wizard who was just MLB pitcher Brian Wilson. We played for maybe six months every few weeks or so, but I hosed up the XP rules and didn't split it between them so they were probably level 16 by that time.

Game ended when most of the party (who were basically anarchists) turned on the one "good" member of the team and the climactic fight of the session turned into PvP. The player was okay with it, but after that no one really wanted to get back together. Kinda a bad way to end it, but to ths day we all remember the campaign fondly.
I think that accelerating the leveling curve makes D&D 4e more fun anyway. I went with a level every three sessions, two if we were on a tight schedule, for an Eberron game that ran for a year on a calendar deadline. It made combat a lot more interesting, because the players and enemies all got new tools fairly quickly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My first game was Microlite20 a little over a year ago. I had literally just picked up some dice sets that same afternoon and invited my dad and brother over for a quick game.

I think my biggest mistake was falling into that "there's only one solution to this puzzle" pitfall: they had already picked up a key from one of the bandits they slew earlier, but when they came to a locked door they kind of forgot about it, so I turned down three different approaches they tried to open the door until they suggested "well the mad scientist's going to have to come out sometime, let's just camp out here" and realized they were never going to remember the key, so I let it stand.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Runequest 2E, I was 3 or 4 years old, and I was playing a Humakti duck named "Donald" because when you are 3 or 4 that is the cleverest goddamn thing. I probably messed up all kinds of rules but it was basically just "Listen to when dad tells you to roll dice."

I distinctly remember using an arbalest which I don't think ducks can even carry, actually.

Later on, older and wiser, (I was 5) my clever naming extended to playing a D&D cleric named Eric.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

D&D 3.5, I was a dumb teenager who loved the idea of roleplaying but lived in something that barely qualifies as a city. Convinced some of my friends to try it out, with them not knowing the rules nor being particularly interested in learning them. Add to this the fact that I was a pretty terrible GM (there was a war against good and evil where I put my edgy self-insert as leader of evil, much to my eternal shame) and you get a pretty embarassing first run.

And yet we had a lot of fun.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

lived in something that barely qualifies as a city.
Oh, you're from Spokane?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh, you're from Spokane?

Spokane is the Seat of Spokane County. My native hamlet is only the Seat of a traditional Southern Italian dance.

E: holy poo poo, why is Spokane's crime rate so high

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 1, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Spokane is the Seat of Spokane County. My native hamlet is only the Seat of a traditional Southern Italian dance.
You're from Dougie, North Carolina?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

holy poo poo, why is Spokane's crime rate so high
It's a former industrial town and is super poor for a city of its size.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Italy is the Dark Souls of Europe.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
First RPG I ever played was D&D 3.5, like many others of my age. It was one session, there were 14 players and I was playing a Dwarf Fighter. In my foolishness I thought shield bashing people with my spiked tower shield was a good idea. The DM threw me a bone since I had done exactly gently caress-all all evening and had me power bomb a lizard man out of a window. Only other thing of note I did was hustle my now girlfriend out of a Warhammer +1 because I'd played Neverwinter Nights and knew how much a Warhammer +1 was worth. I didn't really mess up any rules thanks to having played a whole shitload of Neverwinter Nights and, you know, being a Fighter. The session was a straight dungeon crawl with barely any roleplaying. Six months later I GM'd Paranoia. A month after that I GM'd Wild Talents. I never really looked back, now I'm the career GM.

Although actually I haven't GM'd anything in about six months since uni student and exams and all that. I've just been in an oWoD and a nWoD vampire game and it's been a nice change of pace to not be in the GM seat. Looking forward to getting back into it though.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

My first real game was 2nd edition with a group of people at my after-school center. We started right off with a lot of weird stuff, particularly access to any race such as the complete book of humaniods. So we had a minotaur wielding a pair of giant scimitars (my sister's character, she was a dritzz fan but also apparently just likes being big and brawny) and myself a teifling mage/priest. I don't actually remember any details of this game because it was quite a while ago beyond the fact that it involved a lot of pointless faffing about with a mysterious empty tower.

My actual first RPG experience was when a friend of mine showed me D&D and tried to convince me to play. For some reason the game's concepts just wouldn't stick and I turned it down. However, for some reason the idea stuck with me and even after the friend had moved away I spent a few years trying to track down the game...except I couldn't actually remember anything about the game. I just had a vague memory of it being sort of like a board game so I just kept looking through toy stores and walmarts hoping I would see something that jogged my memory.

Even after I had played D&D for a while I didn't even realize that this was the game I had been searching for until I read the "example of play" bit from the 2nd edition PHB where the players are tracking a rat-man through a sewer and it clicked with the stuff my old friend had been telling me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
first rpg i ever played, was actually me running pathfinder. it wasn't too terrible, in hindsight? i made some poor decisions, but things went all right until some of my players decided they were more interested in playing deathwatch on the same night with some other folks in the university gaming club

most important thing i learned is that i am not interested in running anything as complicated as pathfinder, though that's more of a retrospect lesson

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My first right was the Metzner red box with Into the Unknown and the wax crayon for coloring in the dice. :corsair:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

First RPG I ever played was D&D 4e. Well, by "played," I mean "DMed," because I was the only one willing to DM.

I'd been steeped in D&D for a while--I was one of those kids in high school who owned the 3e books but never actually played--but never ended up getting around to actually playing until grad school. I didn't gently caress up too bad, all told, though I took skill challenges way too rigidly and they weren't fun at all. It was a Dark Sun campaign but it didn't last very long, which is unfortunate, because I love Dark Sun.

That group ended up doing a Pathfinder campaign after that, followed by another 4e campaign that was DMed terribly by one of the players, and then finally a Savage Worlds one that went for almost an entire school year. That was probably the best one. I miss Savage Worlds, actually.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
First RPG played- Star Wars D6. Didn't do so well with it, as I was like ten.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
TMNT & Other Strangeness, followed shortly by Heroes Unlimited, and then RIFTs.

We were teenagers so a lot of it was just us loving around and not really doing anything grand, and we often just dropped games only to make a new one a week or two later. In retrospect those are horrible systems to start off with, nevermind play, but it did give me a deep appreciation for a well-balanced, consistent, and functioning game system.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The first RPG I actually owned was Vampire, but I couldn't get anyone to play it in middle school. But I also read Shadowrun novels, having picked one up because the cover depicted an elf firing an assault rifle. My freshman year of high school I made upperclassmen friends who played it, and the rest is history.

That said, I haven't played Shadowrun in a long time, and I'm not really attached to it the way a lot of people are attached to a specific version of a specific game because it was their first.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Started with D&D 3. Messed up so many rules, especially some of the few that keep wizards in check (limited spells, spell components) because they were so fiddly. There were a lot of places were we abandoned the rules altogether to do stuff that seemed more fun - disassembling ballista traps and strapping them to the ranger and burning like 30 kobolds to death by setting a door on fire that they were trying to get through. Two of the characters spent a half hour making crop circles. That sort of thing; it was a high school game.

The first thing I ran was d20 CoC. I did mostly alright with the rules, a few hiccups. The first game I ran was far, far more Evil Dead than Call of Cthulhu. It was pure pulp absurdity, with Deep Ones, a shoggoth lord, and ultimately Nyarlathotep showing up at the end.

Since then I've run a fair number of "first games" for other people and never, ever used d20 or D&D for it. Paranoia tends to be a lot of fun, especially with people who haven't internalized the "We are a aprty! we will work together!!" mindset of some D&D players.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think I was eight or so, I'm not sure I even knew what D&D was, and I was so in love with Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior that I built my own TTRPG. I forced my mom to build a character, then she had to move around this massive grid map I made with three colored markers on the side of a cardboard box, going to a bunch of predetermined locations as dictated by my notebook full of coordinates. I think she had to find a castle in a tree so she could roll the dice a few times to kill an evil wizard. I'm sure it was awful and boring for her, and I can't say firmly but I think I didn't have very much fun either.

My first encounter with a ~real~ RPG was my friend making me slog through AD&D2 character creation. I just wanted to be a cool swashbuckling elf, and I guess that takes two hours. Then my friend poured soda on the DM's head, so the guy left before we could start playing. I biked home and played Link to the Past to completion for like the eighth time that summer.

Finally, in middle school I actually got to play, and in a game that didn't suck major rear end. It was some study hall free time bullshit, and one of my MtG buddies ran a game of Star Wars D6 for just me. I was a Han Solo ripoff, I think. I don't think I screwed up the rules or anything; it was a two hour one-shot someone else ran. Later that week I went to the Gatekeeper and got myselfhad my mom buy MERP instead of my usual comics.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I played AD&D2 with some cousins, badly, at around ten or so. I recall having to wield the two-handed B-Sword because a "bastard sword" was simply not appropriate.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
In other news, there was some talk in the Exalted thread about the processes used to plan out a book and have the layout ready before the text is written.

quote:

Of course I can't say anything about your layout-needs without actually seeing it for myself, so I can only reiterate that normally, you make a plan of what pictures and texts you want, allocate space for them in the layout and when everything fits (because your layouters obviously used placeholders), you just need to make small adjustments later. Like if a text gets cut or one last-minute addition comes down the pipe, you have an easier time working it into the project.

The best part of this workflow is, you can have your layouters work on your layout right away, instead of having them wait around until the rest is finished. Finished texts and pictures get continually worked into the layout if you get everything working at peak efficiency. And if you're finished with texts and artworks, ideally your project is almost done with layouting, too!

I wonder, is anybody in the industry actually writing books that way? I'm not completely sure if it would be workable for a bunch of creative types designing a complicated new set of rules, or if there's anybody who knows how. (There certainly isn't the budget for project managers, any more than there is for PR guys.)

Or maybe some companies are already using this process?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

I played AD&D2 with some cousins, badly, at around ten or so. I recall having to wield the two-handed B-Sword because a "bastard sword" was simply not appropriate.

That's goddamn adorable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The first game I actually played in was an unfortunately short-lived AD&D 2e Spelljammer campaign played over IRC, and while character creation was a definite slog, at the end I ended up with a tiefling bard (for some reason the DM let me cross over Planescape into Spelljammer) who acted essentially like Space Fantasy Anthony Bourdain. He was mostly in it for the travel and to experience new alien cultures. The DM was really good at that part. I think we maybe rolled twice in the second session because it was mostly about us discovering a community of psionic worm-people (like, tiny worms who all group up in a Worm That Walks kind of way) who were quite hospitable and helped us translate an evil magic tome we found in the first session.

While character creation was awful, combat and general play was surprisingly breezy. I'm not sure if AD&D 2e is just more lightweight than people give it credit for or if the DM was just glossing over the parts that weren't fun.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Red box DnD with some older kids.

gently caress you, Bargle.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
The first RPG I ever played was Middle-Earth Roleplaying by Iron Crown Enterprises. It was basically a slightly streamlined version of their infamous Rolemaster system.

After playing MERP a couple of times my friends and I, being idiots, decided to "upgrade" to Rolemaster. We were enticed by all the charts and the promise of COMBAT SO REALISTIC YOU CAN FEEL THE IMAGINARY TURTLES YOU WILL INEVITABLY TRIP ON LIKE A MILLION TIMES!

We later moved on to D&D 3e, having firmly established through play that Rolemaster was too complex for us to handle. Since then my tastes in RPGs have followed a pretty clear course towards simpler and simpler systems. Although I have to say that there's something about the critical hit charts in Dungeon Crawl Classics and Hackmaster that speaks to the stupid 15-year-old in me...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

psychopomp posted:

gently caress you, Bargle.

:(:respek::(

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

whenever a wizard casts fireball, the pitbull song starts playing

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The first tabletop game I ever "played" was one I made myself, which probably doesn't count. It was set in a sort of weird post-apocalyptic version of my school (middle school, for you Americans, I think? I was about 12-13 at the time) where you had to scrounge supplies from the classrooms and it was more like a CYOA gamebook than anything else.

Ignoring that, the first game I ever "played" was a session of D&D in god-knows-what edition, because the DM never actually showed us any character sheets, we just picked from a list of premades and he relayed the information to us on what we had and what we could do. Our first quest was to protect a magic shop from getting robbed by goblins, it did not go well, and after one abysmal session I was thoroughly disenchanted with the whole idea.

It wasn't until I took part in a Mutants & Masterminds one-shot over IRC, which had been organised here on SA (in BSS) that I actually consider that legitimately playing a tabletop game. After that, I started looking at games more. I played some more M&M over here in TG, a few other different systems, and then D&D 4e came out and I started really getting into that.

The rest is basically a weird, meandering voyage from homebrew to new darling and then back to homebrew again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, playing a game over chat/IRC. That was my second game. Do people still do that in the age of Skype/Hangouts/roll20?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh man, playing a game over chat/IRC. That was my second game. Do people still do that in the age of Skype/Hangouts/roll20?

I dunno, I dislike playing over-the-internet games which aren't PbP. I like time to think about my actions, and that usually ends up meaning my character falls to the wayside because I'm not "engaging" enough, simply because I'm not constantly trying to talk.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

First game was greatest Brazilian and non-Ars Magica, non-Exalted rpg Defensores de Tóquio 3rd edition on the school library with a friend of mine that introduced me to the hobby. Years later we drifted on different directions and he died in a car accident. RIP Leonardo.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

gradenko_2000 posted:

A lot of people prefer it. For some people it can feel less on-the-spot, you don't have to worry about looking or sounding too goofy if that's something you care about. You can scroll back up to remind yourself of exactly everything that's been happening.

I used to prefer text chat-based RPGs when I played online a lot, but before I mostly dropped out of doing that I came to prefer the things that video chat bring to the table that text can't, like more easily conveyed tone.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

I dunno, I dislike playing over-the-internet games which aren't PbP. I like time to think about my actions, and that usually ends up meaning my character falls to the wayside because I'm not "engaging" enough, simply because I'm not constantly trying to talk.

On the other hand the game won't stop and die for months because someone is holding off their turn bro.

E: i GM a game on IRC and used to play on a lot of those on sup/tg/

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Is anyone here any good with geography and/or MS Paint?

Here is a map of my WIP fantasy setting. It pretty much sucks; I need at the very least to put give some cool names to the various geographical elements so that it might at least hope to spark the immagination. But I want this to be detailed and sensible, which means I need to develop the cultures that named those elements before extrapolating what those names might be.

That being said: does this make sense from a geographical standpoint? There's supposed to be a warm current that hits the southern part of the two northernmost continents; that's why there's so much chaparral so far north. Apart from that, there should be no more weird climatic features.

I would also like to make more detailed maps of the single continents, but I do not trust myself to precisely redraw them again. I did save a precedent version of this map, without the colors, and tried just enlarging them from there: but the end result is a blurry, pixelated mess. Is there a better way?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
First game I played in was 3.5, I played a halfling sorceror and was the only survivor of an encounter with a Chuul because I had expeditious retreat and left everyone for dead.

First game I DMed was a game of Wraith, which was the worst run game I have ever encountered. So I tell people my first game was a 4e D&D game instead, since that was much better.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is anyone here any good with geography and/or MS Paint?

Here is a map of my WIP fantasy setting. It pretty much sucks; I need at the very least to put give some cool names to the various geographical elements so that it might at least hope to spark the immagination. But I want this to be detailed and sensible, which means I need to develop the cultures that named those elements before extrapolating what those names might be.

That being said: does this make sense from a geographical standpoint? There's supposed to be a warm current that hits the southern part of the two northernmost continents; that's why there's so much chaparral so far north. Apart from that, there should be no more weird climatic features.

It doesn't look weird to me, but I am at best a amateur gorgreoph.

quote:

I would also like to make more detailed maps of the single continents, but I do not trust myself to precisely redraw them again. I did save a precedent version of this map, without the colors, and tried just enlarging them from there: but the end result is a blurry, pixelated mess. Is there a better way?

You're a little hosed on that, but not too much if you really want to put in the work. Grab Photoshop or something like it—GIMP (not from SourceForge), or Paintshop Pro if that's still a thing. To minimize the long-term effort, start as zoomed-in as you think you'll ever want to make it. You'll basically have to recreate your map from there, probably by redrawing/tracing the stuff you already have. After this, you can more easily zoom out to create less detailed maps. Use layers to tag features of certain detail-levels, to keep your bigger zoomed-out maps from getting cluttered. USE LAYERS LIBERALLY.

I'm sure there are ways to keep going with MSPaint, but if you want to get crazy with this you'll want more robust software. A good question at this point is if you really want to get super serious about this.

(PS You might take a look at Campaign Cartographer. It has lots of premade assets for drag-and-drop map creation and might make things a lot easier, and it does layers. It's specifically geared toward making maps with different levels of "campaign zoom.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

First game I played was red box D&D, which my mother ran for me and a couple of my friends when I was 10. She wasn't into RPGs, but this was during the latter days of the satanic panic, and she wasn't sure she wanted me playing the games, but being a fairly smart lady she didn't want to deny me it out-of-hand (given I was pretty enthusiastic). She figured the best way to know whether or not it was an appropriate game was by running it herself.

After two sessions, she decided it was pretty okay, if kind of nerdy. I bugged her about running it some more, but instead she suggested that maybe *I* could be the Gamemaster. The very idea blew my mind.

I bought a module at the local hobby shop (B9: Castle Caldwell and Beyond) and ran it. I didn't get any rules wrong per se (the red box is a pretty good teaching tool), though I did run my old PC as a GMPC.

Unfortunately, my best friend of the time with extremely religious and closed-minded parents wasn't allowed to play D&D. He was, on the other hand, allowed to play RPGs, as long as they didn't have the D&D logo on them. So after a while, I was eventually sucked into the Palladium quagmire of the TMNT/Heroes Unlimited/Ninjas and Superspies trifecta, from which it would take me years to escape.

• Locked thread