Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

This month's theme is Clothing\drapery\textiles! You can find all the cloth drawing tutorials you'll ever need here
In addition to being good drawing and painting practice, cloth and clothing can impart a huge amount of information to a piece - such as from lending realism, movement to a composition or even class commentary or satire.
Good places to start looking for inspiration are movements that were big on theatrics, like High Renaissance, Baroque and Rococo

Tatian

Leonardo da Vinci

Louise Elisabeth Vigee Le Brun

Bernini

Theodore Aman

Francesco Hayes

Claude Monet

Here's a quick clothing\texture study

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I have seen that Leonardo Da Vinci drapery in person. It is as amazing as it looks.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

My edges are always weird. Also I need to work on balancing lightening and desaturation on shading and atmospheric perspective.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

WIP

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I like it. Unsolicited advice warning: If you open her index finger from the rest of the hand it will help straighten that plane a bit better. Right now it makes her fingers look a bit broken to the left.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Been wanting to draw this one forever, but after the last time I drew a butt-ton of cloth I really didn't want to take the time. My husband was nice enough to pose while I took about a billion pictures to look off. He thinks the devil is too understated so it won't be noticed; thoughts?

Click for huge.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 3, 2015

Wanda Wanda
Oct 22, 2010

i want to wad you up into my life
I'm excited for this month's theme! Drapery is a bear and I really need the practice. Yesterday I did these studies from movie frames, and each one took three times longer than my original "time budget" :sigh:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Wanda Wanda posted:

I'm excited for this month's theme! Drapery is a bear and I really need the practice. Yesterday I did these studies from movie frames, and each one took three times longer than my original "time budget" :sigh:

Cremaster? :)

Wanda Wanda
Oct 22, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Cremaster? :)

You know it :hfive:

Sadly that is my least favorite of the three, probably because it's so tame when compared to the arresting source image.

Edit: I'll just go ahead and embarrass myself here

Wanda Wanda fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 2, 2015

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Listening to NWN/C93 Colder still and I wanted to draw a hosed up dragon likle one of the dragons in the song

I like the rhino it looks like a rabbit kinda. More feedback: in case you haven't noticed it already the right leg is off. upper and lower arm look to "straight" to me and the arm lacks the brachioradialis which I just looked up, I don't know muscle names.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wanda Wanda posted:

Today is a day for cute ear family monsters

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

Hummingbird!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

loga mira posted:

Listening to NWN/C93 Colder still and I wanted to draw a hosed up dragon likle one of the dragons in the song

I like the rhino it looks like a rabbit kinda. More feedback: in case you haven't noticed it already the right leg is off. upper and lower arm look to "straight" to me and the arm lacks the brachioradialis which I just looked up, I don't know muscle names.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah the arm thing seems to be a recurring problem for me, gonna have to do some studies (also it's not very obvious now but the rhino is actually a albino wooly rhinoceros, which had lanceolate ears like that).

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Awwww-dorable! :3: I'm curious though; why'd you go with greyscale for a subject that's known for its brilliant colours?

My friend wanted there to be more Cole with bunnies so now there's more Cole with more bunnies.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Weekly life drawing.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Pick posted:

I'm loving this dude's feet. Really nice look.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thanks! (But that's a lady.)

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Pick posted:

Thanks! (But that's a lady.)

Sorry, I'm bad at this :) I think I noticed hands/feet more than the rest of the body. I like her, very neat.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Tonight's progress

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Awwww-dorable! :3: I'm curious though; why'd you go with greyscale for a subject that's known for its brilliant colours?

My friend wanted there to be more Cole with bunnies so now there's more Cole with more bunnies.

I guess I'm just more comfortable with regular pencils than colour pencils. :v: I also wanted to focus more on texture and such. However, I'm planning to make a large painting based on this picture, although I'll make the bird white with some dashes of gold. I recently bought some imitation gold oil and I can't wait to try it out.

Big fan of the bunnies. :3:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Humboldt Squid posted:

Tonight's progress

I think her head is turned too much. It's possible to turn your head that far, but it's not relaxed like it appears in the painting. Maybe I'm old, but it looks a little awkward to me. You also might use her gaze to direct the viewer through the composition some.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

WIWT in 1996 by David Galletly, on Flickr

Not exactly a masterpiece, but a somewhat on-topic doodle from my sketchbook.

Wanda Wanda
Oct 22, 2010

Pick posted:

Why couldn't the June theme just be centaurs, then I wouldn't have to draw suit pants :argh:

That being said, I admire your use of contrast in these drawings. I think I will have to try a similar tack in my next daily studies.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

Another wacky dragon. I first drew him great big wormy wings but then :effort:-ed out. Kitchy rear end digital art, drat

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

loga mira posted:

Another wacky dragon. I first drew him great big wormy wings but then :effort:-ed out. Kitchy rear end digital art, drat

Badass. Indeed wacky, for a dragon.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A start. I'll probably work on this more another day.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Oh man. Painting in acrylic again. So weird to use a real brush. It has been too long. This was from a 3 hour live painting session.

Sorry about the glare from the scanner. Will take a picture outside in natural light once the weather gets a little better.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Some fan-art for a podcast. Christ I'm a dork.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

Tomorrow's recipe: chicken

e. after looking at it on a different screen I really need a new monitor, darkest areas are all messed up.

loga mira fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 4, 2015

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
I tried to find a cool dress to draw and got frustrated and picked a random cosplay dress and the longer I drew the more apparent the flaws in material/cut that they chose for the dress and even more apparent how it did not fit the model AT ALL in several places and I tried to make it look like it does and it doesn't work and UGH :thumbsup:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

animation reference from the worlds best technical animator

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Cool!

"Draw a mermaid dancing" she said...

Suuuure....

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 5, 2015

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Some sort of dick-angel. He may or may not be holding a cat, I haven't decided yet. #AlysDrawsWithABeer

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I learned that Bambiraptor feinbergi had opposable fingers!

also progress

Bad Milk
Nov 14, 2014

click here for big booty bitches
Witness the fabric of the universe!

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Not much drapery, mostly sexy ladies.. and fooling around with brushes.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

What was supposed to be a speed sketch, but ended up taking longer.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

SirJohanna posted:

Hummingbird!

:love:

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Humboldt your color is looking good! Raptor is pretty sweet too.

I decided against a nude angel with a cat for the Xmas cards this year and went with a fire imp instead. A krampus and busty ale nymph are soon to follow.

I think I've spent more time drawing this than on all the time on cards in the past.

• Locked thread