Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Capt. Sticl posted:

Weren't they like 8 or 9 then? Granted I wasn't good enough to play on a travel team then, I don't remember the kids that were skilled playing travel ball until like 11 or 12. Nine years old was the first kid-pitch level in my LL.

(Although starting age 10 we got to keap out jerseys. Ages 10-12 were all "one" league. You did a try-out and you literally got "drafted" onto a specific team for which you played the next 3 years. Coaches could assign 10 or 11 year olds to the upper or lower team and 12 year olds were automatically upper)

If the short interview with his parents during the game last night is accurate, Gallo was mashing dingers at age 8. If I had a kid who could do that I'd probably spring for a fancy-rear end travel team too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Capt. Sticl posted:

Weren't they like 8 or 9 then? Granted I wasn't good enough to play on a travel team then, I don't remember the kids that were skilled playing travel ball until like 11 or 12. Nine years old was the first kid-pitch level in my LL.

(Although starting age 10 we got to keap out jerseys. Ages 10-12 were all "one" league. You did a try-out and you literally got "drafted" onto a specific team for which you played the next 3 years. Coaches could assign 10 or 11 year olds to the upper or lower team and 12 year olds were automatically upper)

If you count little league all-star teams and the travel they do, baseball can get pretty expensive pretty quickly even at a young age.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

If the short interview with his parents during the game last night is accurate, Gallo was mashing dingers at age 8. If I had a kid who could do that I'd probably spring for a fancy-rear end travel team too.

I'm guessing all those kids are big for their age. It looks like Harper was actually taller than Gallo back then?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
David Carpenter DFA :toot:

He'll get picked up by another team, wouldn't be surprised if he put stuff together better but I couldn't take it anymore (i am in charge of the Yankees).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

leokitty posted:

He'll get picked up by another team, wouldn't be surprised if he put stuff together better but I couldn't take it anymore (i am in charge of the Yankees).

I'm guessing the Braves would like to take another chance on him. Having 2 David Carpenters would be some kind of Super League poo poo. The other one is currently in AAA Gwinnett.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember my sister (she was the only girl on the team) made our little league's all-star team at 15, and their team won district which got them to the state tournament. My parents both had to take a couple weeks off to support it, and we had to be boarded up in a hotel in Yakima of all places. My family had to front all the costs which my parents weren't too happy about but it was still a cool experience. Their team got 3rd in state which was pretty neat, I guess :unsmith:

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Can he give up a lot of runs and walk a lot of guys and blow games? Then yes, by all means, I hope the Braves go after him to add to the guys they have out there now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

leokitty posted:

I'm glad they actually DFA'd an underperforming veteran instead of just sending Lindgren back down.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I could have sworn there was a website that would show you where homers landed by park, am I just making this up?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I could have sworn there was a website that would show you where homers landed by park, am I just making this up?

All homers at a park or homers by player?

You can do it by park on hittrackeronline.com: http://www.hittrackeronline.com/detail.php?id=2015_761&type=ballpark
Or see all a player's home runs as they would look in a certain stadium by going to the player page. They also have overlays for one park on top of another but it just shows the fences.

RIP the original ballpark overlay tool website. I guess it's been pulled into Hit Tracker?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 3, 2015

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

N: “Felix told me, pretty much, just throw it as hard as you can," said Seahawks All-Pro cornerback Richard Sherman, moments before making his way to the mound

V: :hawksin:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

All homers at a park or homers by player?

You can do it by park on hittrackeronline.com: http://www.hittrackeronline.com/detail.php?id=2015_761&type=ballpark

That's perfect, thanks.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

seiferguy posted:

Man what kind of Little League lets you get your last name put on the jersey? Our league was so cheap we had to return the jerseys after the season was over.

Ours were just t-shirts with a stupid local business logo on them, and for like $20 you got your first name put on the back. Half my team played in jeans and high tops.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

Ours were just t-shirts with a stupid local business logo on them, and for like $20 you got your first name put on the back. Half my team played in jeans and high tops.

Was it Chico's Bail Bonds?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Eh, probably should have ran it to home.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Regnevelc posted:

Ouch

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Regnevelc posted:

Dear Lord.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Regnevelc posted:

:thurman:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

I love you

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
That is the second best gif I've ever seen on this board.

Right behind the Panda cake gif

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dingleberry Jones posted:

That is the second best gif I've ever seen on this board.

Right behind the Panda cake gif

I am suddenly very curious.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

I am suddenly very curious.

It's magic.

Edit - yes yes yes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

It's magic.

Edit - yes yes yes.

These are art.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
I'm going to Toledo this Saturday for Jurassic Park Night(gently caress yeah) and I am looking for recommendations on where to get food for lunch.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tony Phillips posted:

It's magic.

Edit - yes yes yes.

This has to be in the pantheon as well:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I couldn't find the one of Fielder almost over sliding 2nd base with a steak replacing the base. Also a good one.

Manfred should really just make sure baseball has more fat guys on the base paths.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tony Phillips posted:

Edit - yes yes yes.

I'm 99% certain that was the play that made the Tigers trade Prince Fielder.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Now I want to see the unedited version.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Some Numbers posted:

That is the unedited version.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Some Numbers posted:

The steak is actually A.J. Pierzynski but the action is the same.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25160830/must-see-bartolo-colon-picks-off-aj-pierzynski-runs-him-down

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

I'd love to see Colon's trot-up double from the other day be changed so that instead of 2nd base, he comes to a gradual stop at a restaurant dining table with a fine steak dinner on it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Soler to the DL with an ankle sprain. :(

This is a big loss for the Cubs. He strikes out a ton, but he actually leads all rookies in the majors in hits. And his cannon-arm in right will be missed. Mike Baxter's been called up again to replace him.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

tarlibone posted:

I'd love to see Colon's trot-up double from the other day be changed so that instead of 2nd base, he comes to a gradual stop at a restaurant dining table with a fine steak dinner on it.

Seconding this

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Still my favorite baseball .gif ever. Though this is a close second:

Senf fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 3, 2015

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
If we're doing Prince Fielder is fat jokes:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Rand alPaul posted:

I look at little league uniforms today and consider myself lucky. We had actual baseball uniforms with pants and stirrups in our league, and it was just a regular city league. Granted the shirts were the polyester pullover type, but are least we didn't have any corporate sponsor crap on them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

haha this owns

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

No Safe Word posted:

Was it Chico's Bail Bonds?

It was usually like a Swimming Pool Chemical Supply company -- so a meth front.

Very classy!

Infidel Castro posted:

I look at little league uniforms today and consider myself lucky. We had actual baseball uniforms with pants and stirrups in our league, and it was just a regular city league. Granted the shirts were the polyester pullover type, but are least we didn't have any corporate sponsor crap on them.

I'd buy stuff like batting gloves and cleats and white pants so I looked more legit. Would have killed for real uniforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

:perfect:

• Locked thread