Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's just some leftover bits of Stone Free Araki recycled for SBR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Kabanaw posted:

Josuke's super heading Johnny's legs just so he can break them again is probably my favorite thing from all star battle.

I didn't know what you were talking about till I looked it up, so here it is for anyone curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4VR86Os4wo

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Do you think anyone else will ever be able to pull off Jotaro's cigarette trick?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Would Cars be able to turn himself/parts of himself/adopt aspects of rods?
And actually there's an excuse for him not developing stands: he's the pinnacle of evolution on Earth, stand microbes come from space. But then of course there's the people born with stands, who who developed them naturally out of a passion, like cooking, drawing, and drinking your own piss tai chi.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Basically Stands make no sense until SBR.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
They never needed to make sense.

I wouldn't say SBR does much to demystify them either.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all SBR does is reel them back in compared to the previous arcs. even D4C is a pretty simple concept despite being entirely off the wall

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tomorrow

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I meant in terms of how you get them, there's a bajillion different ways and not really any rhyme or reason to it pre-SBR but in SBR it's all Corpse Parts all the time.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
http://2new1.fjcdn.com/comments/Them+gains+tho+_46377b8580283e7fe7ada965211830a3.webm

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

this would work if they were actual bodybuilders and not Guy Fieri groupies

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I meant in terms of how you get them, there's a bajillion different ways and not really any rhyme or reason to it pre-SBR but in SBR it's all Corpse Parts all the time.

In SBR Gyro gets Ball Breaker by perfecting his spin. Most stands in part 7 are from Jesus but it's still possible to get them other ways.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Josuke saving baby Josuke is dumb because the whole point is its the formative experience in Josuke's life that leads him to becoming such a super dude. A complete stranger saves his life, expecting nothing in return, so Josuke grows up to be the kind of guy to pay it forward, putting himself in danger for his friends. Josuke may be a scamp with a head full of zany get-rich-quick schemes, but he's got a heart of gold - and with Joseph out of the picture and his mother unmarried, that mysterious student is basically his ideal image of a man in place of a father figure. It's why he honors him with his pompadour, and gets upset when people insult it. They're insulting his hero.

To have Josuke save Josuke would make the whole thing ring hollow. It's not selfless if he's just saving himself. It stops being a thematically important moment and just becomes something weird that happened one time.

I've never seen any compelling evidence that Araki wanted to create a stable time loop, but if he did then I'm pretty glad he changed his mind.

What you're saying makes no difference at all as to whether it's a random guy or a causal loop.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I just finished Stone Ocean and wow that last bit was a trip. Still don't think I liked it as much as part 4 though.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Would Cars be able to turn himself/parts of himself/adopt aspects of rods?
And actually there's an excuse for him not developing stands: he's the pinnacle of evolution on Earth, stand microbes come from space. But then of course there's the people born with stands, who who developed them naturally out of a passion, like cooking, drawing, and drinking your own piss tai chi.

Cars adapts himself based on nature. Given that Stands can be gained naturally it would make sense that if he needed to he could develop a Stand much like he could grow wings or turn his feathers into armadilo scales into piranha fish.

Thankfully for Joseph Araki hadn't thought Stands up to that point. :v:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Darko posted:

What you're saying makes no difference at all as to whether it's a random guy or a causal loop.

If Josuke was saved by a total stranger, then he learned an important life lesson about altruism and Doing The Right Thing.

If Josuke saved himself, then, well, it wasn't much a of teachable moment. Turns out it wasn't a triumph of the human spirit, it was just Josuke saving his own skin.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

So he should have not saved himself, because not saving yourself makes you altruistic?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It really doesn't change much. The young one is still saved by a stranger in his eyes, he doesn't know it was himself. It still shapes him growing up and influences all of his personality. The elder one figures out he saved himself, but if he hadn't had that experience in the first place, things would have been different and he'd be dead.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

HellCopter posted:

If Josuke was saved by a total stranger, then he learned an important life lesson about altruism and Doing The Right Thing.

If Josuke saved himself, then, well, it wasn't much a of teachable moment. Turns out it wasn't a triumph of the human spirit, it was just Josuke saving his own skin.

That's only true if Josuke knows it was himself; it could easily be written where he doesn't realize that until after the deed is done. But again, I prefer it being a total stranger; Josuke is in a lot of ways a fusion of the best aspects of Jonathan, Joseph, and Jotaro, so having an analogue of George Joestar passing down his gentlemanliness is important, and would be undercut if it was a closed loop, since his noble spirit wasn't "inherited" from another citizen of the town. And given a major theme of DIU is community, probably Araki realized that having a stranger save baby JoJo speaks a lot more to that theme, so he decided to keep it that way.

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It doesn't look like the same uniform either.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Josuke's backstory as it is is far better than some Harry Potter time paradox bullshit.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I don't think it matters whether he knew or not. As a kid, he's (Adult him) a stranger and that defined him. There's nothing wrong with saving himself. It doesn't make him any less altruistic. It's just a weird thing that happened.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sekkira posted:

I don't think it matters whether he knew or not. As a kid, he's (Adult him) a stranger and that defined him. There's nothing wrong with saving himself. It doesn't make him any less altruistic. It's just a weird thing that happened.

I don't know, it's just that the entire main theme to Part 4 is how it's good and cool to want to make your hometown a better place/help people regardless of what you get out of it. All the good people are sweet and friendly and add to their community. Hell, one of them was so dedicated to helping others he naturally developed a stand to do just that.

All the bad guys who turn into friends are actively rewarded for not being selfish dicks and adding to the town. Superfly for example goes from a nothing hermit to a local attraction and people bring him gifts all the time to make his situation easier. Highway Star gets his body healed and in return goes from selfishly stealing vitality to engaging the most dangerous guy sent to attack the crew by himself to save some people he barely knew. Hell even when the good guys turn into assholes, like in the Harvest 'fight', they do it because of entirely petty and selfish reasons.

It speaks better to the themes of part 4 and Morioh itself if it was just some random town citizen helping him out and not Josuke himself (who we already know to be a Nice And Cool Dude) saving baby Josuke. That way it's another example of what Joseph calls the Golden Heart of Morioh and not just some dude saving his own skin.

JoJo is good.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 4, 2015

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That's not even true, plenty of people get stands from the Devil's Palm, which is even more mysterious than the meteor arrows from the other parts.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm probably mis-remembering but aren't Devil's Palms areas where the corpse parts have been?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Aurain posted:

I'm probably mis-remembering but aren't Devil's Palms areas where the corpse parts have been?

Yeah but you can get a stand even without getting a Corpse part. Or without going to a Devil's Palm in the first place. Ball Breaker was made from Gyro truly mastery spin technique and manifesting a stand built for it just like Tonio did. And now in the SBR-world the wall eyes grant stand and stands also seem to be a hereditary trait.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The wall eyes are interesting because Araki made a point of saying that the corpse was buried/underground in Morioh though, so they could very well be Devil's Palm-esque themselves in that they exist because of the corpse and grant Stands.

e: I love JoJolion. The chapter where Johnny dies is the one that has Yasuho successfully licking her elbow and feeling proud of herself.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 4, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It speaks better to the themes of part 4 and Morioh itself if it was just some random town citizen helping him out and not Josuke himself (who we already know to be a Nice And Cool Dude) saving baby Josuke. That way it's another example of what Joseph calls the Golden Heart of Morioh and not just some dude saving his own skin.

JoJo is good.

This is all totally true and rad and good.

However, I'm still convinced Araki totally intended to do the timeloop, and changed his mind to the better version later down the road :v:

I'm curious how this scene would (aaaaaah who am I kidding, WILL) play out in the anime. Maybe they'll actually make the mysterious stranger more distinct from Josuke. Or they keep it, just to gently caress with anime viewers as well.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Torquemadras posted:

Or they keep it, just to gently caress with anime viewers as well.

It'd hardly be the first time, what with the whole Erina-in-the-coffin thing. They could easily have retconned that for less conflict (without the whole floating-with-Dio-in-the-false-bottom-for-a-week "explanation"), but they left it as written in the manga.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't know, it's just that the entire main theme to Part 4 is how it's good and cool to want to make your hometown a better place/help people regardless of what you get out of it. All the good people are sweet and friendly and add to their community. Hell, one of them was so dedicated to helping others he naturally developed a stand to do just that.

All the bad guys who turn into friends are actively rewarded for not being selfish dicks and adding to the town. Superfly for example goes from a nothing hermit to a local attraction and people bring him gifts all the time to make his situation easier. Highway Star gets his body healed and in return goes from selfishly stealing vitality to engaging the most dangerous guy sent to attack the crew by himself to save some people he barely knew. Hell even when the good guys turn into assholes, like in the Harvest 'fight', they do it because of entirely petty and selfish reasons.

JoJo is good.

I'm just arguing from the point that either way, it doesn't take away or add to the story or characters. That it doesn't matter if it was a random dude or Josuke himself.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Enourmo posted:

It'd hardly be the first time, what with the whole Erina-in-the-coffin thing. They could easily have retconned that for less conflict (without the whole floating-with-Dio-in-the-false-bottom-for-a-week "explanation"), but they left it as written in the manga.

They also kept Stands need Hamon breathing too. Dedication to the plot holes is why David are right for the job.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

There's gonna be a Paisley Park-esque Stand that exploits and/or creates plot holes, mark my words. A Stand that can rewrite the past, but only if it explicitly contradicts it. And you thought King Crimson confused people!

I'd come up with a name for it, but I know fuckall about music and literally 70% of my music knowledge come from reading JoJo.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Dream Theater.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
It sucks that every final boss main gimmick its time manipulation in every part starting from 3

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Valentine is more like Sliders

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

El Hefe posted:

It sucks that every final boss main gimmick its time manipulation in every part starting from 3

That's a strange way of saying that it's cool and good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I am eagerly awaiting finding out what time power JoJolion's final boss will have. I'm struggling to think of what is even viable at this point though.

Maybe something like manipulating things that already happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Manipulating the Jojo timeline,the villain will drop everyone back to part IV, allowing Gappy to save young Josuke.