Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Supersonic Shine posted:

I still think it's funny that Vanilla Ice managed to kill more of the Crusaders than DIO did. Of course, they would be even if Jotaro hadn't gotten Joseph's heart pumping again.

Jonathan counts for all of the side characters. And yeah, Joseph counts, him coming back is bullshit. That's two Joestars for Dio, a feat not matched until Pucci.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Was Araki pressured to bring Joseph back like Avdol?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Probably not, there's only like 9 weeks between him dying and coming back alive, it was an age without email as well so it'd be harder to get your opinions across.

It's probable that he always intended to bring him back. It'd suck a lot more if it wasn't classic Joseph when he comes back though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Darko posted:

That's two Joestars for Dio, a feat not matched until Pucci.

George Joestar (the First).

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I was about to say Kira didn't kill any named characters aside from some weird middle schooler, but then I remember when he strode into Cinderella's, got a new face and blew the gently caress outta that place.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, he killed Harvest and Cinderella's Stand Users. And the original Kawajiri.

And, to be fair, he DID kill a bunch of main characters with Bites the Dust before it got undone and punched a hole through Koichi's body.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Moltrey posted:

I was about to say Kira didn't kill any named characters aside from some weird middle schooler, but then I remember when he strode into Cinderella's, got a new face and blew the gently caress outta that place.

he nailed the entire team with bites the dust, it just got rolled back before it could take

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Okay wow, yeah Kira was way more menacing than I gave him credit for. Which is neat, because he's just an insane salaryman with a pink kitty Stand and not a hundred year old vampire with big ol yellow diver Stand.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
He's also been killing women for about two decades. I dunno how long it would take for a carefully preserved severed hand to rot beyond keeping, but do the math and I think you'll find that's a lot of people.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Dio tried to live the normal life, comfy hotel room, reading books, going to Michail Jackson concerts but it left him wanting more

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

George Joestar (the First).

3 for Dio, he wins.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I re-looked at the manga for the first time in forever, and completely forgot that Joseph got a ghost and stuff like all the other dead people after Dio drank his blood. So ridiculous.

...but that gave us old fake-senile Joseph in 4, so all is forgiven.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bear in mind that Kira threatens to kill Fatty's mother and father before Shigechi himself, despite the fact that Kira almost definitely wouldn't hunt them down because he hates drawing attention to himself and that he's going to kill Shigechi anyway. Dude just wanted to traumatize him beforehand.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Darko posted:

I re-looked at the manga for the first time in forever, and completely forgot that Joseph got a ghost and stuff like all the other dead people after Dio drank his blood. So ridiculous.

...but that gave us old fake-senile Joseph in 4, so all is forgiven.

Maybe Terrence D'arby ran by, played some vidya with Joseph, and took his soul.

And then he died on the way home? :shrug:

Aurain posted:

Bear in mind that Kira threatens to kill Fatty's mother and father before Shigechi himself, despite the fact that Kira almost definitely wouldn't hunt them down because he hates drawing attention to himself and that he's going to kill Shigechi anyway. Dude just wanted to traumatize him beforehand.

My favorite Kira moment is him tying Koichi's shoes before preparing to blow him up.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Okay wow, yeah Kira was way more menacing than I gave him credit for. Which is neat, because he's just an insane salaryman with a pink kitty Stand and not a hundred year old vampire with big ol yellow diver Stand.
I actually think one of the reasons Kira works so well as an antagonist is because of how he contrasts Dio, cause let's face it: a lot of the series lies in Dio Brando's shadow. It would've been easy to just do Dio 2.0, though I think that also would've set people up for disappointment. Diavolo always felt to me like a weak attempt to get the Dio train going again, and I can't say I'e ever been that satisfied with his performance as a villain. Kira, meanwhile, is functionally Dio's opposite. Quiet, unambitious, unassuming, neurotic, reclusive, subdued, prone to panic. Dio wanted everything, Kira wanted nothing.

Well, almost nothing.

It's a drastic step away from the Dio mold, and well-suited to a small town like Morioh.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Things like that are what make SBR special to me too. Dio's there for all intents and purposes even if Diego is a greatly different character, but he's not actually the bad guy and by the time the first one dies, it's arguable if he's even a bad guy at all.

His second coming with The World is really cool, but it weakens SBR's narrative as a whole to me (and the art sucks at times for those chapters).

JoJo is totally about about DIO in a lot of ways, and is really interesting when it plays with the concept of him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Bad Seafood posted:

I actually think one of the reasons Kira works so well as an antagonist is because of how he contrasts Dio, cause let's face it: a lot of the series lies in Dio Brando's shadow. It would've been easy to just do Dio 2.0, though I think that also would've set people up for disappointment. Diavolo always felt to me like a weak attempt to get the Dio train going again, and I can't say I'e ever been that satisfied with his performance as a villain. Kira, meanwhile, is functionally Dio's opposite. Quiet, unambitious, unassuming, neurotic, reclusive, subdued, prone to panic. Dio wanted everything, Kira wanted nothing.

Well, almost nothing.

It's a drastic step away from the Dio mold, and well-suited to a small town like Morioh.
I worry for some people, Kira's gonna feel like a weird villain coming hot off of DIO, but you're right that he is such a perfect villain for Part 4. He's not some ancient evil with massive goals, he's a salesman with multiple mental disorders who has been killing since he was in high school. Kira's a more human antagonist which fits Part 4's smaller story scope perfectly. His introduction after the fight with Rohan is great, our protagonist don't meet him at all, but we see Kira returning home with a severed hand and that's really needed to establish him as a threat.

I so hope David does what people in this thread said of including Kira in the background of one or two scenes. A five second scene of Josuke bumping into a guy with a St. Gentleman Sandwich bag early on would just be super neat to me, establishing the villian as just some random otherwise normal looking guy we've seen a couple times before.

Part 4 is just so goddamn good, jesus.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
DIO actually did take control of Joseph, but Jotaro scares the poo poo out of him now so he decided to cut his losses and just live out the old man's life.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The great thing about the latest episode is that, unlike the manga, you can actually see the gears start to turn in Jotaro's head that "Star Platinum does all this poo poo, and The World does all the same poo poo, so maaaaybeeeeeeeee . . ."

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

DIO actually did take control of Joseph, but Jotaro scares the poo poo out of him now so he decided to cut his losses and just live out the old man's life.

Can you imagine how much of a shocking twist if in the finale of part 6 it had Joseph show up and be young looking, revealing Dio had been playing the long con

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Moltrey posted:

I worry for some people, Kira's gonna feel like a weird villain coming hot off of DIO, but you're right that he is such a perfect villain for Part 4. He's not some ancient evil with massive goals, he's a salesman with multiple mental disorders who has been killing since he was in high school. Kira's a more human antagonist which fits Part 4's smaller story scope perfectly. His introduction after the fight with Rohan is great, our protagonist don't meet him at all, but we see Kira returning home with a severed hand and that's really needed to establish him as a threat.
It's honestly one of the greater strengths of the generational storytelling format. It's how Araki escaped the power pyramid.

Typically a series like Jojo would need to churn out bigger and badder threats to keep the heroes on the ropes. I talked to a guy once who quit Jojo after Part 2 because they'd already fought the ultimate life form. "You can't top that, man." Instead, by making it a generational saga, Araki has all the excuses he needs to reset the threat level back to zero. A new arc means a new hero means a new villain uniquely tailored to that hero. Dio's technically a step down from the Pillar Men in terms of raw power, but since Joseph's old and Jotaro's this new guy with no experience fighting vampires, it works - though I'd say it also works due to Dio's intimate relationship with the Joestar lineage, which is something Cars and his ilk lacked.

There's also the fact that most stands don't really function along standard power level logic. Kira's no Dio, but he's just as dangerous for different reasons.

It's for reasons like this that Part 4 is a really great litmus test for who really "Gets" Jojo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hopefully that guy un-quit Jojo because gently caress if he's not missing out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ekusukariba posted:

Can you imagine how much of a shocking twist if in the finale of part 6 it had Joseph show up and be young looking, revealing Dio had been playing the long con

I would be fine with this, just because it'd mean that Dio would've had to change the invisible baby's diapers.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's the English line for the Erina callback?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Haven't seen the episode yet but I think I saw a screenshot to the effect of "I'll take that body back...for grandma Erina."

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bad Seafood posted:

Haven't seen the episode yet but I think I saw a screenshot to the effect of "I'll take that body back...for grandma Erina."

Oh I meant Dio's insult. In the French version he called her a "bouseuse", something like hick or hillbilly, country people.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Kurtofan posted:

Oh I meant Dio's insult. In the French version he called her a "bouseuse", something like hick or hillbilly, country people.

He calls her a country girl iirc

edit:

terrified of my bathroom fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 5, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

bonewitch posted:

He calls her a country girl iirc

edit:

Thanks, I love that exchange. It feels like it should have been in the manga.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dio's a little loving poo poo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, Dio sucks.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't say that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He's a vampire.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

How Rude posted:

I want to see Dio's smug loving face get smashed in.

I WANT VENGEANCE DAMNIT :mad:
Please let them keep the x-ray close up of Star Platinum's fist smashing Dio's brain case.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Dias posted:

DIO: can stop time, has Star Platinum 2.0, can fly, is a vampire, handsome

DIO is Overpowered Bullshit

Hee hee hee
Ha ha ha ha
HOHOHO

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Why yes the anime thread is adorable

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like how stopping time is the underpowered stand for the situation multiple times later on in the series. like when fighting the rat with a stronger spirit than Jotaro's mom.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

What the gently caress did beating Dio heal Jotaro's mom for, anyway? Him dying didn't make people's stands go away. I think the whole adventure was a setup by Jotaro's mom now.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Holly just wanted her son to make some actual friends and bond with his grandpa :kimchi:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It was symbolic of his malignant presence corrupting the Joestar lineage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Darko posted:

I like how stopping time is the underpowered stand for the situation multiple times later on in the series. like when fighting the rat with a stronger spirit than Jotaro's mom.

Well. Jotaro could only do it for like 1-2 seconds at that point. DIO has 5 seconds now, and then he goes super saiyan and it jumps to 9, which is enough to beat pretty much anyone else in JoJos unless they can move during the time stops like Jotaro