Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I actually watched the original OVA relatively recently, and while it cuts out a lot of what makes Jojo good (and Vanilla Ice is just wasted), I'd actually say its a worthwhile experience. The N'Dour and D'Arby episodes are well done, and Dio's World is pretty good even as it deviates from the source material.

That said, the only reason to watch it is for the fights. The plot is reduced to all but a literal footnote, most of the humor is written out, and a lot of the crusaders get shafted. Kakyoin does two things and dies, Iggy does two things and dies, Avdol does basically nothing and dies, and Joseph might as well be a different character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kakyoin doesn't baby his friends.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The new color translation is good but the font choice frequently isn't.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

El Hefe posted:

It isn't good imo, it's passable for amateur translators tho.
Are we talking about the Part 5 retranslation or something else?

Cause I was under the impression almost anything would be better than the pre-existing Part 5 translation.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

OVA dub Wilson Phillips is the best.

Dude sounds like he's really having fun playing a psychologically damaged senator being bossed around by a glampire.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...honestly, that would probably be one of the best parts of having a Stand that can think independently. You'd have a bro who sprung out from your own soul, meaning that you'll (theoretically) always get along perfectly. :v:
Alternatively, you could get stuck with Cheap Trick.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The French comic book market alone is way more robust than its American counterpart.

IIRC they're also the No. 1 consumer of manga behind Japan itself.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Anime and manga are enjoyed all over, but the French market specifically dwarfs the American one.

Might even be bigger than the Japanese market but I don't have the numbers. All I know for sure is that Japan, France, and the U.S. constitute the three biggest, and the U.S. is solidly at No. 3 in the pecking order.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Aurain posted:

Nothing like Josuke saving baby Josuke.
Josuke saving baby Josuke is dumb. I don't think Araki ever seriously intended for Josuke to save baby Josuke, but if he did then I'm glad he dropped it because that would've been stupid.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

I like to think he planned initially for Josuke to save baby Josuke, since Araki is really interested by things like time and causality. But he couldn't think of a good way to do it, so gently caress it, it was just a different guy. Which I like better, it's such a swerve for the more genre savvy readers, while still making perfect sense why Josuke looks so much like his rescuer.
Josuke saving baby Josuke is dumb because the whole point is its the formative experience in Josuke's life that leads him to becoming such a super dude. A complete stranger saves his life, expecting nothing in return, so Josuke grows up to be the kind of guy to pay it forward, putting himself in danger for his friends. Josuke may be a scamp with a head full of zany get-rich-quick schemes, but he's got a heart of gold - and with Joseph out of the picture and his mother unmarried, that mysterious student is basically his ideal image of a man in place of a father figure. It's why he honors him with his pompadour, and gets upset when people insult it. They're insulting his hero.

To have Josuke save Josuke would make the whole thing ring hollow. It's not selfless if he's just saving himself. It stops being a thematically important moment and just becomes something weird that happened one time.

I've never seen any compelling evidence that Araki wanted to create a stable time loop, but if he did then I'm pretty glad he changed his mind.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Araki just had the time of his life when he realized how much he can abuse healing stands. Oh man wouldn't it be cool if that rat just made Jotaro melt his legs to the bone? Narancia cutting off his tongue!? Whose arm should be cut off in this fight!? Johnny needs to stay disabled but man Gyro's going to get hosed up this fight.
I like how most manga artists use "It's a good thing you can heal" as an excuse to keep their characters always looking their best even after they've gone through the wringer, while Araki's over here like "How can I make everyone's day even worse?"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It never needed to be explained.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

They never needed to make sense.

I wouldn't say SBR does much to demystify them either.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Darko posted:

What you're saying makes no difference at all as to whether it's a random guy or a causal loop.

Sekkira posted:

I'm just arguing from the point that either way, it doesn't take away or add to the story or characters. That it doesn't matter if it was a random dude or Josuke himself.
It matters thematically, for reasons Zen Master brought up.

To look at it another way, consider Josuke's hair. Josuke doesn't know the name of the student who saved his life. He doesn't know his face, where he lives. The only thing he remembers about him is his hair. That ridiculous, out-of-style hair. Since Josuke can't say thank you, he honors that student by wearing his hair the same way, even though it looks ridiculous. When people insult his hair, it makes him angry, because they're insulting his hero.

Josuke saving Josuke or a stranger saving Josuke may be functionally the same in terms of "Here is what happened, here was the end result," but it makes a world of difference if the person Josuke is honoring is just himself. There's nothing "Wrong" with self-preservation, obviously, but it carries different thematic weight.

For another example, how about that new Mad Max movie? Furiosa kills Immortan Joe, but why couldn't it have been Max? It'd be functionally the same either way, wouldn't it? Bad guy's dead, everybody's free. But of course, it carries more narrative weight if it's Furiosa. She's the one who has a history with Joe. With the way Joe treats women, it's fitting that a woman would be his undoing. Three women actually work together to defeat him. But imagine if it'd just been Max. Furiosa and the others probably wouldn't have minded. Originally they just wanted to get away from Joe, so I doubt any of them would feel cheated of their chance at vengeance. All the same, as audience members, we'd probably feel something was off. There'd probably be people complaining that Furiosa didn't do it, and they'd be right to do so because she's the one who brings the most narrative resonance to the table. Just because the outcome is the same in a material terms doesn't mean it makes no difference.

Beside the point, stable time loops are supremely dumb, and that's coming from a dude who likes time travel stories. They make little sense and raise more questions than they answer.

El Hefe posted:

It sucks that every final boss main gimmick its time manipulation in every part starting from 3
To be fair, Bites The Dust was merely a wrinkle in Kira's setup. The main reason he was a threat was due to his bombs.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 4, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Pretty sure that's a servant ability in Fate so there's even precedent for how it might work.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Moody Blues replays events, but doesn't change how they unfolded.

Broseph's talking about recording over things.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Who didn't shoot Johnny Joestar.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

My guess would be the hand twitching.
That would be the safest bet.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He's also been killing women for about two decades. I dunno how long it would take for a carefully preserved severed hand to rot beyond keeping, but do the math and I think you'll find that's a lot of people.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Okay wow, yeah Kira was way more menacing than I gave him credit for. Which is neat, because he's just an insane salaryman with a pink kitty Stand and not a hundred year old vampire with big ol yellow diver Stand.
I actually think one of the reasons Kira works so well as an antagonist is because of how he contrasts Dio, cause let's face it: a lot of the series lies in Dio Brando's shadow. It would've been easy to just do Dio 2.0, though I think that also would've set people up for disappointment. Diavolo always felt to me like a weak attempt to get the Dio train going again, and I can't say I'e ever been that satisfied with his performance as a villain. Kira, meanwhile, is functionally Dio's opposite. Quiet, unambitious, unassuming, neurotic, reclusive, subdued, prone to panic. Dio wanted everything, Kira wanted nothing.

Well, almost nothing.

It's a drastic step away from the Dio mold, and well-suited to a small town like Morioh.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Moltrey posted:

I worry for some people, Kira's gonna feel like a weird villain coming hot off of DIO, but you're right that he is such a perfect villain for Part 4. He's not some ancient evil with massive goals, he's a salesman with multiple mental disorders who has been killing since he was in high school. Kira's a more human antagonist which fits Part 4's smaller story scope perfectly. His introduction after the fight with Rohan is great, our protagonist don't meet him at all, but we see Kira returning home with a severed hand and that's really needed to establish him as a threat.
It's honestly one of the greater strengths of the generational storytelling format. It's how Araki escaped the power pyramid.

Typically a series like Jojo would need to churn out bigger and badder threats to keep the heroes on the ropes. I talked to a guy once who quit Jojo after Part 2 because they'd already fought the ultimate life form. "You can't top that, man." Instead, by making it a generational saga, Araki has all the excuses he needs to reset the threat level back to zero. A new arc means a new hero means a new villain uniquely tailored to that hero. Dio's technically a step down from the Pillar Men in terms of raw power, but since Joseph's old and Jotaro's this new guy with no experience fighting vampires, it works - though I'd say it also works due to Dio's intimate relationship with the Joestar lineage, which is something Cars and his ilk lacked.

There's also the fact that most stands don't really function along standard power level logic. Kira's no Dio, but he's just as dangerous for different reasons.

It's for reasons like this that Part 4 is a really great litmus test for who really "Gets" Jojo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Haven't seen the episode yet but I think I saw a screenshot to the effect of "I'll take that body back...for grandma Erina."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, Dio sucks.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He's a vampire.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

How Rude posted:

I want to see Dio's smug loving face get smashed in.

I WANT VENGEANCE DAMNIT :mad:
Please let them keep the x-ray close up of Star Platinum's fist smashing Dio's brain case.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It was symbolic of his malignant presence corrupting the Joestar lineage.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

hatty posted:

Ko-Koichi?
This is it.

Part 4 confirmed.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Daxing Dan posted:

-Aniki literally means "older brother", but it can also be used to refer to a big brother figure who isn't necessarily biologically related to you, but is still so rad that you wish you could be like them.
"Bro" is frequently used in English to deliver the exact same connotation.

Which is to say I agree with the other two guys.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ManlyGrunting posted:

Bro has pretty different connotations though: it implies familiarity and parity instead of admiration. I don't know any Italian though and I can't think of a English equivalent off the top of my head: sadly we can't go the Dragon Quest 8 route and use "guv".
No, bro is functional in this case.

Everything about Pesci makes it clear he respects and looks up to Prosciutto. His expression, his body language. Dare I say, even if there were no English translation and you couldn't read Japanese, you could still discern their relationship through the art alone. Being in the mafia already carries a "Family, but not necessarily 'Family'" connotation on its own, as does a lot of gang culture. There's also the more general idea of "Brotherhood" as a relationship between men with mutual goals and values, regardless of relations.

There is nobody who, upon hearing Pesci blurt out "B-bro!" wide-eyed and noticeably less nervous as Prosciutto calms him while coolly executing his duties, would mistake what he meant by "Bro." Prosciutto is clearly the one to be admired, and Pesci is clearly admiring him.

Alternatively, I sure hope Giorno's nakama can pull through this one!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The train fight is the highlight of Part 5, along with White Album.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Part V I'd say has a great first and second act. It's the third act where it starts to fall apart for me. The early chapters with Giorno trying to fit in with Bruno's gang as they go treasure hunting are great, and the assassination squad going rogue provided a lot of memorable villains with great fights. After Bruno's brush with King Crimson and Doppio's fight with Nero though, the fights and the bad guys seem to go downhill - though to Araki's credit they remain creative.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Jojo wiki is full of unfounded information. Unless they've got a link to an interview or a translated quip from an artbook, I'd take anything they say with a grain of salt.

Today's speculation becomes tomorrow's "Araki said."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Can't post this in the anime thread so here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUei7Uku0s0

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My only real problem with Terrence is his placement, sandwiched between two of the more brutal fights in Part 3. As somebody said in the anime thread, "I like how Jotaro, Joseph, and Kakyoin get invited downstairs to play video games while Avdol, Polnareff, and Iggy are left to contend with the invisible hell orb demon." Hol Horse and Boingo served as a pretty good closer on the comedy battles, so I think Terrence should've been replaced with someone more dangerous.

There's also that he's soon enough after Daniel to feel like a retread, though he really isn't if you play close attention.

Basically I think a video game stand battle would've felt way more at home in Part 4. Or Part 8.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Alternatively, I like the idea of Dio surfacing after a hundred years underwater to have Terrence explain video games to him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Cooldown time.
Or that.

I remember reading in Part 4 or 6 somewhere that it takes a lot of you to stop time, which is why five seconds is routinely held up as the upper human limit.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Either way, it's not like you just snap your fingers and stop time. There's definitely an exertion component, like a muscle. Dio couldn't always stop time for five full seconds, he had to work up to it slowly over a period of months.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

He even says as much in the anime so far, and he hints that it's also tied to taking over jons body fully. It's sum kinda retard video game logic to think that something with a stated x second limit could just be spammed willy nilly, though to be fair hierophant green spams the poo poo out of emerald splash all the time.
Yeah, it's never explicitly stated what the limitations are, I always just assumed there were some unspoken rules implicit in its execution.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Happy Arakiversary everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Source is Millionfish's tumblr.