Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
:siren: NEW OWNERS GUIDE

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT LAST SEASON

-It happened

DIVISION WINNERS

AL North: Chicago Barons
AL East: Boston Sophists
AL South: Charlotte Goyim
AL West: Los Angeles Dodgers

NL North: Iowa City IOWA
NL East: Cleveland Hustlers
NL South: New Orleans Spirits
NL West: Colorado Burrellballers

WILD CARDS

AL: Seattle Discontent, Santa Fe Leo Egans
NL: Buffalo Garden Paths, New York Metropolitans

AWARDS

AL MVP: Nolan Rigby, Goyim
NL MVP: Seth Monaha, Burrellballers
AL Cy Young: Bud McDonald, Goyim
NL Cy Young: John Swindell, Metropolitans
AL ROTY: Charles Forbes, Punks
NL ROTY: James Page, Metropolitans

INFO FOR NEW OWNERS AND HOPELESSLY INCOMPETENT VETERANS

1. Consider running trade offers by the veteran owners in thread. We'll tell you if you're getting ripped off too badly.

2. Figure out a plan and stick to it. If you decide your team needs a rebuilding period, don't abort it halfway through and try to win. That's how you get a consistently mediocre team that doesn't go anywhere.

3. Overall rating is pretty much meaningless, other than to inflate a guy's asking price or determine draft comp.

4. During the preseason, you need to pay more attention to your team than at any other time. After the season starts, you can get away with checking your team once a day or so. During the preseason, you need to be much more active. Don't commit to a team if you can't do that. The main cycles run at (roughly) 3:45am, 11:45am and 7:45pm Eastern, with half cycles in between each. I'd advise that you check every half-cycle, as this is when you get feedback on coach hiring, free agent offers, re-signings, etc.

5. Go through your team roster when you get your team. Figure out what assets you have. Figure out what players you need to protect from the Rule V draft. Failing to do so can seriously set your team back. I'm bolding this part because nasboat is AN IDIOT WHO LOST THREE GOOD PROSPECTS AT ONE POINT BECAUSE I FORGOT TO DO THIS EXACT THING, SO IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU, TOO! SERIOUSLY!

6. Don't be afraid to ask questions! HBD can be overwhelming at first. There's a lot to figure out, and we've all been through it. Use your goon resources.

7. Don't listen to Art's advice. EVER.

8. Coach Hiring Sucks. But it's not that bad honestly if the world works together. We can do this. Trust me.

9. Most of all, have fun with it. Don't get too worked up about fake baseball. Unless you're menasboat.

10. Get a Big Brother! If you've never played this game before feel free to ask the thread for help from the veterans. Hopefully one of us will take you under our wing and teach you some of the stupid convoluted poo poo that you need to know before you quit in frustration. Then when you're a 10 season veteran with multiple world series wins you can pay it forward!

AWESOME THING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT IF YOU DON'T ALREADY

-ADVANCED ROSTER EDIT. This is essential. If you've got (I think) 3 seasons of HBD under your belt, you can take the stupid, WIS-mandated 'training wheels' off your "Edit Roster" page. That's right, no longer will you have to make promotions one player at a time -- which was always a terrible process when trying to bump up all your minor leaguers. To get to advanced roster mode, simply access the "Management Console" from the "Manager's Office" menu, then scroll down and select "Advanced Mode" under "GM Edit Rosters Options"

SPRING TRAINING INFO YOU WILL NEED

quote:

Set your spring training rest hierarchy and pitch counts.

PAs in spring training count towards fatigue in the regular season but the games don't, so you don't want to use your starters as much as you would in the regular season.

HOWEVER spring training is also a good opportunity for your young players to get a couple extra points and if you don't let your veterans play, they might lose a few points. So it's a careful balancing act. I'd recommend inviting some guys to ST from your minor leagues--either prospects you want to develop or mediocre AAAA dudes who can soak up some innings/PAs. Your 25 man roster won't cut it.

Go to Managers Office -> Player Settings -> Spring training squads to invite some of your minor leaguers to camp. Go to Manager's office -> Managers Settings to set your lineup to rest after the fifth inning even if they're losing or leading by only 1. Go to Managers Office -> Player Settings -> Edit Player settings to set your starters to low pitch counts. If for some reason you want them to go deep in games, you can manually force your team to use a 10 man rotation or something. Rotate out your relievers, setting the guys who just pitched to "rest" and forcing the AI to use other guys after games.

The goal is to get your starters at least 10 innings, your relievers at least 3 appearances and your batters at least 30 PAs. After that you're safe from regression. The rest of the playing time should go to backups, bench guys, and minor leaguers.

~Everything below here is being updated~

CURRENT GOON TEAMS -- NOW WITH TWITTER HANDLES!
code:
Forums name      / WIS name     / Franchise                      / Twitter

nasboat          / nasboat      / Seattle Discontent             / @nasboat
Art Vandelay     / thaneoffife  / Montreal Royal Kilted Yaksmen  / @ThaneOfFife
gardenald        / gardenald    / Chicago Barons                 / @gardenald

Devo             / devomac      / Pittsburgh Steel Birds         / @Devo1999
Evilbeard        / evilbeard    / Hartford Focus                 / @evilbeard
duyarvish        / kingfatdik   / Dover Dumpsters                / @duyarvish
n/a              / CBoulding    / Boston Sophists                / @CBoulding

jeffersonlives   / tjefferson   / Santa Fe Leo Egans             / @ihateprospects
Scrotos          / Fervus       / Charlotte Goyim                / @scrotos
Tavarin          / tavarin      / St. Louis Gaedels              / @tavarin

CaptMurphy       / captmurphy   / Portland Beavers               / @haassauce
n/a              / elchapo      / Tucson Seraperos               / @mrubio52
The broken bones / kingofspain  / Salt Lake City Punks           / @TheAmitie
Thauros          / thauros      / Vancouver Directors            / @SAThauros

Nerokerubina     / koyunlu      / Iowa City IOWA                 / @QaraKoyunlu
Operaterp        / operaterp    / Philadelphia Phatties          / 
ernestborg9      / ernestborg9  / Ottawa BEEMOs                  / @ernest_borg9
n/a              / spaldingball / Chicago Cubes                  / @spaldingethan

AlleyViper       / alleyviper   / Cleveland Hustlers             / @deanleyland
chutwig          / chutwig      / Buffalo Garden Paths           / @erhudy
tatankatonk      / tatankatonk  / New York Metropolitans         / @tatankatonk
n/a              / mattwithanh  / Jacksonville Juggernauts       / @mattwithanh

Atheistdeals.com / atheistdeals / New Orleans Spirits            / @DoubleScorpion
(I forget)       / BarroldBonds / Jackson Jackknives             / @BarroldBonds

ThatsMyBoye      / mrincubus    / Anaheim Los Angeleses          / @paul_boye
gyroball         / gyroball     / Colorado Burrellballers        / @RedbirdMenace
Power of Pecota  / pecotaredux  / Salem Saberhagens              / @GeorgeMatanzas
saintonan        / saintonan    / Santa Cruz Conquistadors       / @?
TAKE A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE (ARCHIVES, UPDATED LATER)

Season 9
Season 10
Season 11
Season 12
Season 13
Season 14
Season 15
Season 16
Season 17
Season 18
Season 19
Season 20
Season 21
Season 22
Season 23
Season 24
Season 25
Season 26
Season 27
Season 28
Season 29
Season 30

ThatsMyBoye fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

btw who was leading on Chick Wehner before this last cycle? I wanted to see if a NTC would be enough to offset re-signing with a previous franchise, and I'm guessing it was because I gave him the max contract outside of that at first.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

btw who was leading on Chick Wehner before this last cycle? I wanted to see if a NTC would be enough to offset re-signing with a previous franchise, and I'm guessing it was because I gave him the max contract outside of that at first.

Tiebreakers only come into play with full max exact same deals, so a lack of NTC would make your offer worse in the eyes of the sim.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Since I'm not a new owner, does that make me hopelessly incompetent? :toughguy:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

EvilBeard posted:

Since I'm not a new owner, does that make me hopelessly incompetent? :toughguy:

you've been that way as long as we've known you

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
i'm a loving moron.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Roy Jodie was always going to end up a Leo Egan at some point

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
guys is it ok if I hang around here sort of like the guys who graduate high school but shows up randomly at events just to hang out? SO LONELY

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

is this where I make fun of scrotos for being all bitchy about AV and then he turns around and gets Butera off of an even-newer owner for a guy with a sub 60 vR and a guy with garbage control and doesn't even pay all of Martin's salary and also one of them is injured

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

My big offseason FA signing, Felix Medders.

Guess I can't get Cliff Burnett every season.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Public service announcement: draft prospects can have different projections if you're looking at their card vs. looking at the draft prospect screen

Or

I've only seen it on a couple of ratings per player so far but still, it's out there. That durability difference on the pitcher is kind of important, too.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Whatever they've done to the draft system makes little to no sense and it sure seems like it's bugged. I understand wanting to introduce a bit of variety to the draft, it's annoying knowing you're not likely to get much useful after pick 20 or so but having differences like that scattered all over the place is just a pain in the rear end.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
hey guys,

trade your good players to me, a moron.

trade all of them to me.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

If you find anyone in my minors interesting and have people to help compete between S32-33, let me know. I'm happy I put together a team that can compete for 12 seasons (hopefully) but holy poo poo are things going to implode in S34.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
For serious, Jose Alicia 2B/CF, PJ Greer C, Kiki Hernandez 1B, and Mike Sabel 1B/DH are available. They're all cost controlled too except for Sabel (who's 4.6m) and play their positions well.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

This is my last season of hoping for a division title and even for this year I have my doubts. I will try to get rid of my two decent assets who are under 35 mid-season if things aren't looking good.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Not thrilled with the handful of 20-something hitters who lost points in various categories despite a 90 HC and 20/20 medical/training

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

So how many $110m contracts has Dimaggio had besides Leo Egan, Angel Solano, and Wehner?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Didn't Lew Patterson get a max deal back in the day

I think Andrew Kirby got one too

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

So how many $110m contracts has Dimaggio had besides Leo Egan, Angel Solano, and Wehner?

Sean Cree- PSYCH

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Kirby did, Lew had two close to max contracts but neither was $110 million.

Also, Solano had two supermax contracts.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

The first of my prospects are coming up this season. Terrance weinhardt, tony Feliz, and maybe Toby cox and Isaac sanders. So hey, I may become competitive again soon!

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

McKay Ray

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

ArtVandelay posted:

The first of my prospects are coming up this season. Terrance weinhardt,....

Why the hell is he still down? He was ML ready when I dealt him.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

He clearly didn't need Weinhardt up to keep his team from dipping into hard tank territory, no sense starting that arb clock early.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Hell, braulio canseco is probably ready too, but I'm going to give him at least another season.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Gonna give a shout-out to Carlos Ciriaco's $69 signing bonus.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

nasboat posted:

is this where I make fun of scrotos for being all bitchy about AV and then he turns around and gets Butera off of an even-newer owner for a guy with a sub 60 vR and a guy with garbage control and doesn't even pay all of Martin's salary and also one of them is injured

the trade got voided anyway but I would like to point out that this was conveniently ignored in spite of the giant stink made out of nothing by scrotos in the previous thread

c'mon dude

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

nasboat posted:

the trade got voided anyway but I would like to point out that this was conveniently ignored in spite of the giant stink made out of nothing by scrotos in the previous thread

c'mon dude

I'm over it at this point.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Congratulations to Kyle Bass and Kris Harvey, who grade out in my system as the worst pitcher and worst hitter in the world.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
If someone really doesn't care if they come in last place take this guy and give him occasional at bats to see what happens http://whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=4255302

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

gyroball has a bunch of guys with very low contact in his system (including two with zero contact) and they've done pretty well for themselves in the minors.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

saintonan posted:

gyroball has a bunch of guys with very low contact in his system (including two with zero contact) and they've done pretty well for themselves in the minors.

as well as the fact that he has plus power and eye.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Massive backloads into mutual option years are really tired at this point and I hope the next engine logic does some correcting for this

+ It's not like there's anything to be done about it by us but it's grating to see free agency escalators take the form of something that'll cost 25 cents on the dollar

ThatsMyBoye fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 4, 2015

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015

saintonan posted:

This guy OPS'd 850 while hitting 40 dingers in AAA. If that doesn't deserve a chance I don't know what does

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

39 year old Kennie O'Brien is gonna be making $20 million *bowtie spins*

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

I led on him for a cycle, then realized things were gonna get out of control and moved on.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

40 year old Kennie won't be, though. Four year supermax. The subcompact of max contracts.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Power of Pecota posted:

No he will be paid 5m to go away since it is a mutual option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Tomorrow is the Rule 5 draft. Protect your babies!

• Locked thread