Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

i love that against all odds Hensley Aspromonte continues to turn in viable ML starter numbers even though he's quad-A at best, whatever the magic "player luck" hidden rating is must be pretty high for Hensley

and then on the flip side there's Pat Sweeney, who keeps getting hosed by the fickle finger of fate at every turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
someone needs to contact vancouver, his team's minor league pitching is in such bad shape it's actually hurting my team's development.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

chutwig posted:

i love that against all odds Hensley Aspromonte continues to turn in viable ML starter numbers even though he's quad-A at best, whatever the magic "player luck" hidden rating is must be pretty high for Hensley

and then on the flip side there's Pat Sweeney, who keeps getting hosed by the fickle finger of fate at every turn

Hensley's actually a pretty cool #5

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

AlleyViper posted:

Hensley's actually a pretty cool #5

he threw 186 innings of 3.39 ERA ball last year, given his ratings that is severely unlikely, my park doesn't suppress offense that much

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I'm not saying he is actually as good as he's been, just that he's hardly chopped liver.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Camp world has some real loving idiots in it.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I would kill for this defensive profile to be accurate

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Sadly, my scout's guesses about Escobar's ceiling aren't nearly so entertaining.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Clutch don't slump.

Also someone trade me a starter before my team wakes up from this weird hitting fever dream

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

that's called the Will to Win

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Not that I don't enjoy scoring 21 runs, but seriously Vancouver, figure your poo poo out.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm pretty jealous of whoever gets Steve Badilla

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Seriously, though

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

AlleyViper posted:

Seriously, though

Our ticket sales have been catastrophically affected by everyone wanting refunds for paying for an entire seat and only using the edge of it

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My franchise has had multiple Cy Young winners since I've taken it over and has graduated two super-stud top of their class starting pitchers to the bigs.

I think Rickey Meyer might be my first ever pitcher of the week

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I would be last in any other AL division. Love to under perform my pythag by almost .100

Also in 14 season of Wally and a variety of other good pitchers in a clowndick park, I don't think I've ever had a pitcher of the week.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Does this draft class suck or does my scouting suck

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

duyarvish posted:

Does this draft class suck or does my scouting suck

Scouting is different now.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

EvilBeard posted:

Scouting is different now.

I'm seeing some really weird defensive profiles at 20 mil and I don't know if I should trust them

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
I know overall ratings are kind of meaningless but I probably shouldn't be seeing only one player over an 80 right

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

duyarvish posted:

I know overall ratings are kind of meaningless but I probably shouldn't be seeing only one player over an 80 right

I only see 4 over 80. 2 of them are over 90!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

At 20 mil high school scouting I see 7 players over 80 with the best topping out at 89. And many of the 70s players have very useful skillsets. This is not a shallow draft by any means and that's without me seeing anything on the college side at all.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

That being said, the defensive ratings I'm seeing on a lot of these top prospects are just wonky and are making me question my scouting altogether. Or maybe WiS just tweaked their draft formula to make different styles of player.

I call that last one "The Sandoval"

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
So maybe cheaping out on advanced was a poor decision? Or I shouldn't have gone college > HS. Either way, oh well, I hosed up

Almost all of my top ranked guys are shortstop quality bats with guys that have zero chance of sticking at shortstop too

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

duyarvish posted:

So maybe cheaping out on advanced was a poor decision? Or I shouldn't have gone college > HS. Either way, oh well, I hosed up

Advanced shouldn't have anything to do with draft prospects. Neither of your amateur scouting budgets are particularly high though so that could have something to do with what you're seeing.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ugh this team's dead, somehow my offense is 14 runs worse than the second-worst in the world and that's with waiver pickups Tom Crow and Everett Sierra somehow hitting .338/.416/.559 and .266/.326/.476 respectively. Vladimir Thompson's the only other guy with an OPS above .750.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015

Devo posted:

Advanced shouldn't have anything to do with draft prospects. Neither of your amateur scouting budgets are particularly high though so that could have something to do with what you're seeing.

when I end up with someone like Andrew Skinner at number 3 I will regret building this .500 roster

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Previously you could get away with very low hs/col (and intl for that matter) scouting budgets because you could see the current ratings and infer from there. Now you can no longer do that, so people with small scouting budgets are seeing essentially random projections.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

saintonan posted:

Previously you could get away with very low hs/col (and intl for that matter) scouting budgets because you could see the current ratings and infer from there. Now you can no longer do that, so people with small scouting budgets are seeing essentially random projections.

what's funny to me -- the guy who basically never drafts anyone useful in any world anymore -- is that, with super low scouting in the old system, you'd see currents, but the actual pool you saw was so low, you had very little to choose from and had to try different tricks to luck into a player. The new system is different, but I don't think I can do any worse than I've done under some of my old 0/0 drafts (which, to be fair, has been awful in some worlds, especially in those years when I get an unexpected high pick from a Type A and take a 5th-round level talent in the top 25).

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Acceptable.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
...the gently caress was this

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

gardenald posted:

...the gently caress was this

Awesome?

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Would it be frowned upon to offer my pick plus a player of the other owners choice for a player I want at their pick? I get that it sounds kind of shady so I don't want to do it without your blessing

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

duyarvish posted:

Would it be frowned upon to offer my pick plus a player of the other owners choice for a player I want at their pick? I get that it sounds kind of shady so I don't want to do it without your blessing

The problem is, you can't trade first year players. If you want to put the deal on the table and both parties agree and do it next year, but it seems like a lot of moving parts and chances for things to go wrong.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

EvilBeard posted:

The problem is, you can't trade first year players. If you want to put the deal on the table and both parties agree and do it next year, but it seems like a lot of moving parts and chances for things to go wrong.

I did this before, but yea you are basically trusting that both parties will agree to it and honor the deal. Plus you have to hope no one gets badly injured or anything.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Also if for whatever reason one of the owners drops out you have to decide whether or not to hold the new owner to the deal. I'm ok with it in theory but there's a lot of ways it could go wrong.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Well the only non davewillie owner in front of me doesn't see the player I want so oh well, and I don't want to really go down that hole.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
lovely rear end draft gently caress this poo poo gently caress all of you.

especially devo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Scrotos posted:

I did this before, but yea you are basically trusting that both parties will agree to it and honor the deal. Plus you have to hope no one gets badly injured or anything.

I know we did that with the Damaso Lee for Wilton Thames (and Chipper Satin) trade.

I don't think anyone here would be willing to alienate themselves from the rest of the people in Dimaggio for the sake of a player (who only has any value in Dimaggio). I wouldn't make a habit of it because of the injury chance, but if both people commit to re-up I don't see any problems.

• Locked thread