Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I saw this brought up in the Witcher 3 thread, and I thought it deserved to be talked about on its own...

Basically, there's a common element I've noticed among people who play mobile games where they see "video games" and "mobile games" as completely distinct entities. For example, using my own experience, I'm known at work as being a gamer of sorts, and sometimes teased about that. Yet, there are people at my work who don't consider themselves gamers, yet spend all day on shift playing Clash of Clans.

I think for a lot of us traditional gamers, we've always sort of experienced a marginalization in part due to our hobby. Most of the popular kids I knew in school grew out of gaming by Middle School more or less, and while gaming wasn't a totally death sentence for your popularity, admitting to playing anything other than like sports games or shooting games usually didn't go over well.

I feel a lot of the push against mobile gaming is partially due to the fact that a lot of traditional fans sort of feel like the hobby they've loved, and were mocked for loving, is now becoming more mainstream through different avenues, and the people who mocked them in the past now carry a lot of sway in the industry. And, because women typically were pushed away from traditional games in the past due to peer pressure and societal expectations, an unfortunate side-effect of this I think is that the idea of mobile gaming invading for many folks also goes hand-in-hand with the idea that feminism is attacking and destroying their hobby.

Now, that's not to say anyone who dislikes the rise of mobile gaming is a jealous nerd, or a woman-hater---there are plenty of real issues to dislike mobile gaming for which have been discussed such as the reliance on monetization schemes. But, I really think a lot of the dislike for it is rooted in insecurity and folks unable to let go of past slights against them.

I'll finish this by saying I don't mean to insult anyone here. I myself have definitely had these feelings in the past, much as I dislike to feel that way, and I think it's important to come to terms with them. For me, the "popular kids" moving towards mobile gaming is a very real barrier when it comes to me enjoying mobile gaming as I have trouble letting go at times. But, I think we have to try and come to a middle ground where we accept that things are changing, and we can't necessarily prevent that just because we think it's unfair because we were "loyal" to gaming or some other self-important justification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
gas

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just like or dislike things for what they are without having to depend on the opinions of others to tell you whether you like it or not

hth

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
this thread isnt even worth a shitpost

oh wait, oops

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mario is from Italy

OnymousCoward
Feb 19, 2014
please source your quotes

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OnymousCoward posted:

Mario is from Italy

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

OnymousCoward posted:

redpill.com

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

donkey kong is african

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
mobile games are for jocks that got all the girls in highschool, they think they are so loving cool.

I'm a true gamer, I am oppressed.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
the gamefaqs spinoff luelinks "eti"

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
good loving christ this is a terrible thread

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

the gamefaqs spinoff luelinks "eti"

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im going to get rich from playing esports

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

mod gta to put a mexian into it there op

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

I play games occasionally but anyone who bases their entire being around the 'culture' of 'being a gamer' is a mentally ill pos urself included op

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
I know where you're coming from, I'm probably the biggest minority in gaming

A non virgin

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mario, he is from Italy

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

meixcan mario?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Italian, Mario.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
its me. Amario.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The black yoshi is the one who steals kinda makes you think

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

its me. Amario.

It'sa him, Marius.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

It'sa him, Marius.

a itsa ame lugigi

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Je suis Martanius.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
why do video Games have to be for everyone, like it's a bAd thing media isn't made to be as incluSionary as possible

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
I unironically believe that you should be allowed to set the skin-tone and gender of any character I play in a videogame I play but just because I said 'Hey Iron Bull, nice job killing that zombie' doesn't mean I should be raped by Iron Bull then called a homophobe by tumblr for not feeling comfortable about it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

je suis gamer

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

*MARIO STARES FORLORNLY THRU WINDOW AS RAIN PATTERS THROUGH IT AND SEES NOTHING BUT FOG ON THE OTHER SIDE*

"i shoulda sucked that diesel schlonger when I had the chance..."

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
im boy cotting game of thrones until mario gets a recurring role- but hes a queer woman of color

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Sir, this is a McDonald's drive-thru.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Remember when Mario smashed through all those olde people at a crosswalk because he was insanely hosed up n drunk? He got put in prison but then a giant piece of poo poo thing called a goomba which I think is some kind of effed up Italian smashed thru the prison wall and touched Mario it was like sexual assault or something and they just found his dead bodi in the cell an hour later.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

oldpainless easily claims the 48th post

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Any one who defines themselves as a "gamer" deserves all the shame and virginity that comes with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mario (the name) sounds like a sort of candy confectionary cake thing like a little cake

• Locked thread