Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
America knows how to do this poo poo right :patriot:

"In an event streamed live on the website of "Video Game Media Personality" Patrick Scott Patterson, Salter spent 85 hours 16 minutes playing Armor Attack, a 1980 vector-based shooter from Cinematronics. In doing so he has claimed the world record for longest arcade game run on a single credit. The previous record, 84 hours and 48 minutes, was set by Q*bert champion George Leutz last year."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Addiction sucks, whether it is to an online video game that you play until you poop yourself and don't drink water and die, or injecting opiates straight into your veins until you poop yourself and don't drink water and die.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Please drink water, and go to the bathroom to relieve your bowels, even if the leveling up you are doing feels really good and you don't want to stop.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think that a lot of the time it isnt really lack of food or pooping but poo poo like blood clots in their legs from sitting for 2 days straight

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Awesome! posted:

i think that a lot of the time it isnt really lack of food or pooping but poo poo like blood clots in their legs from sitting for 2 days straight

Someone conduct a study on MMORPG gamer deaths. I am still betting on it being the hydration thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I think if you die after just a couple days of straight gaming you're a loving casual who deserved it

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
That's retarded, you're automatically a ~real gamer~ if you die doing it. We're the filthy casuals.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Adam Bowen posted:

That's retarded, you're automatically a ~real gamer~ if you die doing it. We're the filthy casuals.

Nahhh, a real gamer wouldn't die is the thing, they'd be sustained by the need to achieve more.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Adam Bowen posted:

This. Those who put gaming before all else are the real gamers.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I LIVE, I DIE, I RELOAD THE CHECKPOINT!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

Addiction sucks, whether it is to an online video game that you play until you poop yourself and don't drink water and die, or injecting opiates straight into your veins until you poop yourself and don't drink water and die.

It's a shame that most gamers still have that reflexive "no you shut the gently caress up dad" knee-jerk reaction to any criticism of gaming so that any legitimate research and critique of addiction will only ever come from outside the industry.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Worldshatter posted:

The dialogue in Hatred is cringy as hell, every word that main character speaks sounds like it was written by an emo 12 year old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HfPAqRq_vo

Mak0rz posted:

what is endboss month anyway? i thought it was some dumb 4chan thing
"June is endboss month" is actually older than 4chan

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

I made up those numbers about Mass Effect 3 but if you check achievements on Steam you'll see that there are a startling number of games where 75% of all players (denoted as anyone that has installed and run the game) don't get the achievements for beating the first level/act/chapter or completing the loving tutorial. I believe Spelunky and BoI (any version, but moreso the first) still demonstrate this.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RoanHorse posted:

I made up those numbers about Mass Effect 3 but if you check achievements on Steam you'll see that there are a startling number of games where 75% of all players (denoted as anyone that has installed and run the game) don't get the achievements for beating the first level/act/chapter or completing the loving tutorial. I believe Spelunky and BoI (any version, but moreso the first) still demonstrate this.

Steam sales are incredibly cool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if things start going badly in a dream i concentrate real hard and revert to an earlier save

kinda wish i was kidding, kinda think it's awesome. half and half.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I just found out AmazonTony quit and moved on to another job :smith:

RIP all of tony's deals and customer support on the forums

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
I remember when he first posted here and everyone trolled him

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Why is the chat thread replaced every month.

Now I forget about the new one for the first couple of days each month.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Minrad posted:

I just found out AmazonTony quit and moved on to another job :smith:

RIP all of tony's deals and customer support on the forums
If you had to deal with the CheapAssGamer forums so would you

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Ekster posted:

Why is the chat thread replaced every month.

Now I forget about the new one for the first couple of days each month.

games doesn't need another megathread

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Problem Sleuth posted:

If I wanted to read gaming posts from literal paid shills then I would be on NeoGAF.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Problem Sleuth posted:

He's the hero forums deserve, but not the one they need right now.

Sleeveless posted:

If I wanted to read gaming posts from literal paid shills then I would be on NeoGAF.

I didn't mind the shilling because the trade off was getting an inside line at Amazon and getting feedback and corrections on deals and poo poo, whereas you'd need to otherwise go through amazon's mostly unhelpful CS department that couldn't tell a playstation from a gamecube, let alone know what the hell a "steam" and a "valve" are

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RoanHorse posted:

In Skyrim, around 25% of people haven't even reached level 5, and that's one of the better games with regards to early game stuff done.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

computer parts posted:

In Skyrim, around 25% of people haven't even reached level 5, and that's one of the better games with regards to early game stuff done.

what the gently caress, don't you hit level 5 by the end of the prologue???!!!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I love the weird poo poo you can find out from achievements. Like how apparently it's harder to read all the datapads in Deus Ex: Human Revolution than it is to beat the game nonlethally or without raising any alarms.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

if things start going badly in a dream i concentrate real hard and revert to an earlier save

kinda wish i was kidding, kinda think it's awesome. half and half.

that's not a gaming problem. everyone wishes for superpowers sometimes and dreams about them, like flying or having the ability to absorb all the knowledge of a book by touching it. save states are objectively one of the greatest superpowers and it only makes sense to dream about them. it's like groundhog day, except you can move on if you want and you can choose where you restart from.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i totally forgot it was a new month and a Tuesday.

metal gears solid 5: zero grounders is free for PS+ hell yeah can't wait to hateplay the gently caress outta this bad boy :getin: :wooper: :fuckyoudad:

guess the joke will be on me if it actually owns huh?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ground Zeros is really good. It's basically the best Splinter Cell level ever except maybe the bank in Chaos Theory.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i havent played the game but that stat would suggest to me the datapads are really boring

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it is complete and utter bullshit that nobody has given me the power of save states to use in the real world yet, actually.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Awesome! posted:

i havent played the game but that stat would suggest to me the datapads are really boring

No, they're just really hard to find.

Quite a few of them are in areas that you only have access too once and/or when there are tons of enemies around.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alain Post posted:

Ground Zeros is really good. It's basically the best Splinter Cell level ever except maybe the bank in Chaos Theory.

i have never played any of those games, are they good? i did like syphon filter 1 and 2 are they anything like that?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The flavor text in DXHR is almost all boring.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

precision posted:

i have never played any of those games, are they good? i did like syphon filter 1 and 2 are they anything like that?

SC1 is good but kind of primitive to play these days compared to modern stealth games. SC2 is mostly a retread of SC1. SC3 (Chaos Theory) is one of my all-time GOTYs (the PC port is excellent if you want to play it that way), the rest are pretty bad (some people liked Blacklist but I hated how they made Sam Fisher a generic soldier-type)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

computer parts posted:

To be fair to the userbase for skyrim, it's absurdly easy to and often encouraged to do things that prevent chievos from working.

Play by email games have been in Age of Wonders 3 for two or three months and it's still at 0% of people completing a game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

computer parts posted:

No, they're just really hard to find.

Quite a few of them are in areas that you only have access too once and/or when there are tons of enemies around.

Yeah, it's just one of the peculiarities of balancing a stealth game; by encouraging people to sneak through levels and ghost past encounters you're also encouraging them to avoid a lot of the extra stuff you fill the levels with.

Alain Post posted:

The flavor text in DXHR is almost all boring.

The original Deus Ex has a newpaper columnist that was a parody of Dave Barry, even by the rest of that game's standards it's hilariously 90s.

It also had excerpts from books like The Man Who Was Thursday. And bread recipes:

quote:

Chinese Silver Loaves

1 3/4 cups hot water
3 T. sugar
2 T. vegetable shortening or oil
6 cups plain flour
2 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Add sugar and shortening to hot water, stir til sugar is dissolved, and allow to cool until barely warm.

Sift remaining dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and gradually stir in sugar mixture. Mix well and gradually draw dough together with your hands. It should be soft, but not sticky.

On a floured board, knead dough about 5-8 minutes, or til smooth and elastic. Return to bowl, cover with damp cloth and let rise at least 1 hour.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is great, though I haven't played Chaos Theory yet.

The story is insane but that's par for the course for stealth games.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Ekster posted:

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is great, though I haven't played Chaos Theory yet.

The story is insane but that's par for the course for stealth games.

Blacklist is 24:the Gamee

Chaos Theory is the best Splinter Cell, period.

BTW on Raiding MMO's, this is still the true experience:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/330620/

theultimo fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 3, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sleeveless posted:

You have no idea who is and isn't a paid shill on a pseudonymous forum anyway; for example I think it's plausible that Sony hired VBC to make Nintendo look bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'm an NSA agent paid to monitor this forum for terrorist activity.

It's a pretty sweet job despite all the poo poo posts.

• Locked thread