Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Bicyclops posted:

This forum's utter hatred for Bethesda's thoroughly enjoyable games will always baffle me.

I don't hate them at all, but the only thoroughly enjoyable, moderately recent Bethesda game I can think of is Dishonored. I played through that and the DLCs twice.

Then again, I'm not going to rant and rave about how bad they were and how bad fallout 4 is going to be; however, if someone brings their strengths and weaknesses up I may talk about why I found them bland.

edit: so yes, utter hatred and ranting is unwarranted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Looking forward to getting Fallout 4 + all DLC Ultimate Pack for $15 on Steam Christmas Sale in a couple years because that is when it will be worth the money.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jon Do posted:

I don't hate them at all, but the only thoroughly enjoyable, moderately recent Bethesda game I can think of is Dishonored. I played through that and the DLCs twice.

Then again, I'm not going to rant and rave about how bad they were and how bad fallout 4 is going to be; however, if someone brings their strengths and weaknesses up I may talk about why I found them bland.

edit: so yes, utter hatred and ranting is unwarranted

actually dishonored is the worst game theyve made and is a piece of poo poo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm going to tell everyone it will be poo poo but I'll buy it day one and probably enjoy it a lot

same

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Bicyclops posted:

That's cool. I started a Skyrim game and found a bunch of things I had never seen before the other day.
first playthrough?

I liked fallout 3 very much since it was the first of these open world bethesda game I played, then I played oblivion, and now I'll be sick of that kind of gameplay until they do something interesting with it instead of just removing features each new version.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Excels posted:

map size

they want you to be finding stuff years after release, or something

I did that with skyrim the other day and I have like 400 hours in it.

It looks pretty good I think, and I liked FO3's map, the DC ruins were massive and really felt like a huge ruined city.

Hoping for similar in FO4, though also hoping they keep some of the systems from FONV because the guns/ammo/crafting systems in that were a big improvement.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

program666 posted:

first playthrough?

I liked fallout 3 very much since it was the first of these open world bethesda game I played, then I played oblivion, and now I'll be sick of that kind of gameplay until they do something interesting with it instead of just removing features each new version.

No, I've put in 100s of hours, I just never stumbled upon the weird Tiber Septim camp in the mountains with the dead elf, for example.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Bicyclops posted:

This forum's utter hatred for Bethesda's thoroughly enjoyable games will always baffle me.
I actually liked playing through Fallout 3 and Oblivion but once you've play one game developed by Bethesda themselves you pretty much have played them all.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am very excited for Fallout 4!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

I actually liked playing through Fallout 3 and Oblivion but once you play one game developed by Bethesda you pretty much have played them all.

Though if you like that game you can try it in new and exciting flavors such as <game> with guns <game> with dragons and <game> with a decent plot.

It's nice to have new places to get lost in and find neat stuff in. Bethsoft games are probs the best games I know for being fun to explore.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I am very excited for Fallout 4!

Same, VideoGames.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

No, I've put in 100s of hours, I just never stumbled upon the weird Tiber Septim camp in the mountains with the dead elf, for example.
yeah I know

The fact that people put so much hours into these games is the fact that baffles me. After something like 60 hours in skyrim I found a talking dog and despite of not caring at all about story I was mildly interested by it, until I slowly realized that he was probably taking me to yet another same-y dungeon, to do the exact same thing I've been doing since the very beginning of the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Bethesda needs to really stop up their game if they want to compete with Witcher 3, but they probably won't.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I would love if they added mechanics from stuff like mount and blade or x3, but considering they removed their faction mechanics from morrowind I'm not holding my breath.
Hell, it doesn't even need to be as complex as mount and blade, just put magic crafting back again, and please refine it a bit since it was slightly poo poo (but still fun)

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Jon Do posted:

bethesda didn't make dishonored, they were just the publisher

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, I do hope ES6 brings back magic crafting. Ideally it would be something a little between the wild craziness of Oblivion, where you could light people on fire, turn invisible, and watch as they had a conversation and burned to death, and Skyrim, which needed tweakability for magnitude/range/etc.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Chomp8645 posted:

Looking forward to getting Fallout 4 + all DLC Ultimate Pack for $15 on Steam Christmas Sale in a couple years because that is when it will be worth the money.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Well, that and whatever you have to pay for the unofficial bugfix patch mod.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, I waited until an Amazon lightning sale and got all 5 Elder Scrolls, w/ DLC for like $25, and I'll probably have to upgrade my computer soon, so I may as well wait to play FO4 until the DLC comes packaged with. I wanna play it now though. :(

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Jon Do posted:

Well, that and whatever you have to pay for the unnoficial bugfix patch mod.

Oh god, only paid mods and steam workshop would be the best :allears:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jon Do posted:

The main problem with Skyrim (2011) is that the combat is straight out of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (1996). Never understood why so many people like the game.

By the time I got to the temple on top of the mountain I was already trying combat overhaul mods and then just gave up. Thank god someone eventually released Wild Hunt, I knew it could be done well. The combat in that's no Devil May Cry, but still. It's something.

play a souls game for an open world game that actually plays a real video game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I kinda like Witcher 3 but that's in spite of basically every one of its core gameplay systems. Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls are still the only open world games I've played which have combat which is actually good on its own merits rather than 'for an open world game' and even in the Souls games' case they're still pretty linear

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Dark Souls is really more like a 3D Metroidvania than anything else but I guess maybe you could consider those open world games? I don't know

All four Souls games are really fuckin' good though so w/e

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i hope to have as much fun in fallout 4 as I did in 3 and NV. this was the one game I was really hoping to be announced soon. my pc is getting jealous of all my wiiu gaming.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I have to give Bethesda credit, as much as people bitch about the main plot in Skyrim sucking because the civil war being so underwhelming there's a lot of stuff in the programming that shows that it was originally a lot more dynamic but they had to cut it out for consoles and even then it was so rough that the PS3 version had major crashing issues and trouble getting the DLc to even work. I'm really looking forward to what they can do now that they aren't forced to run on 256mb of RAM.

Although the pre-war footage in the trailer and the guy in the vault jumpsuit talking at the end makes me think that the old leak about the player character being a voiced pre-war soldier who was put into stasis might actually be true, which sounds awful.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

Sleeveless posted:

Although the pre-war footage in the trailer and the guy in the vault jumpsuit talking at the end makes me think that the old leak about the player character being a voiced pre-war soldier who was put into stasis might actually be true, which sounds awful.

it could also be the baby in the crib, i kinda got that's what they were implying?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have nothing against voice/pre-set characters but at least let me pick "VaultDude" or "VaultChick"

like i actually won't buy the game if it doesn't have at least that choice. i would say "nobody would be dumb enough to not put in at least a male/female option" but then i remembered two things:

- it's bethesda
- witcher 3 doesn't give you that option and apparently it's the best game ever made

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

VideoGames posted:

i hope to have as much fun in fallout 4 as I did in 3 and NV. this was the one game I was really hoping to be announced soon. my pc is getting jealous of all my wiiu gaming.

I had a lot more fun in NV, but I wouldn't say I got no enjoyment from 3. It had some interesting exploration in some areas and a couple of characters that weren't half bad.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

precision posted:

- witcher 3 doesn't give you that option and apparently it's the best game ever made
Thing with this is that CD Project are good at writing video games, Bethesda isn't.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

i would say "nobody would be dumb enough to not put in at least a male/female option" but then i remembered two things:

- it's bethesda

they've always given you that choice, though :confused: like, Elder Scrolls One lets you choose, I hardly think they're going to gently caress with that now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah Witcher 3 is the exception to the rule here, and that's probably only because it's the first title in the series that is open world. Pretty much every other open world game including 100% of the existing Fallout/Elder Scrolls franchises let you choose your gender so there is basically no reason to expect that not to be the case in Fallout 4.

Unrelated: has anyone said Failout 4 yet? I hope I'm the first.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bicyclops posted:

they've always given you that choice, though :confused: like, Elder Scrolls One lets you choose, I hardly think they're going to gently caress with that now.

i just meant that after Elder Scrolls Online i'm not sure bethesda has anyone in their employ whose job it is to say "hold on, that's a terrible idea"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

like, we're talking about the company that was like "of course" when people asked if you could marry same sex people in skyrim, whatever their horrible sins are that makes people despise them, they're actually pretty good about player gender choice and letting you build a character.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

youre not.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Chomp8645 posted:

Failout Bore.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

precision posted:

i just meant that after Elder Scrolls Online i'm not sure bethesda has anyone in their employ whose job it is to say "hold on, that's a terrible idea"

I feel you bro. I also am eternally incapable of understanding the difference between a publisher and a developer. I'm with you all the way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bicyclops posted:

they're actually pretty good about player gender choice and letting you build a character.

they do it in the laziest way though, where none of the PC attributes are actually reflected in the game world

I mean, that's nice in a way, but it was also weird that nobody in Skyrim was commenting on how weird it was that a lizard dude was all the way up there, except in a few bark strings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Alain Post posted:

they do it in the laziest way though, where none of the PC attributes are actually reflected in the game world

I mean, that's nice in a way, but it was also weird that nobody in Skyrim was commenting on how weird it was that a lizard dude was all the way up there, except in a few bark strings.

i mean, i sort of like that's the way they handle gender, mostly, and i think it would have been pretty awkward if like the soldiers in Windhelm followed you around if you were a Dunmer or something, but i do wish there had been a little more flavor dialogue based on race if you were a weird lizard person or w/e.

• Locked thread