Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

:siren::siren::siren:SA-GTE is over; SA-GT 1970 will start September 1st!

Greetings, assholes contestants, and welcome to the initial running of the SA-GTE Championship. In this thread you'll find the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, and the smell of virtual race gas!

So, What Is It?

Automation Website posted:

Automation is a car company tycoon game in which you design and build cars from scratch. It is you who designs everything from the very core that is the engine, over the chassis, to the suspension and the car's looks. Several games have tried this before... but were able to merely scratch the surface. Go ahead, build your dream-car company, or simply aim to dominate the world markets with your superior design skills!

Well, there's this vidya game made by Camshaft Software called Automation (Get it here on Steam) or at AutomationGame.com that is basically a car company tycoon game, except this one is made by a team of serious car guys/gals, just like you and I! Unlike most tycoon-style games that kind of gloss over nitty-gritty details about the products you make, Automation has a very in-depth engine and car designer; in fact, it's kind of the defining feature of the game. Want to build your automotive empire on trucks and SUVs? Sure you can do that. Just build an engine:

Design a chassis and body to put it in:

And send it around the track for fun!

(yes, that 5700-pound hunk of metal is lapping the former Top Gear test track faster than an E9x M3)

Want to be a boutique manufacturer of fast little sports cars? You can do that too:

So, what is it?

OH WILL SOMEONE PUNCH HIM OUT!

Anyways, you'll notice I haven't made much mention of the tycoon side of the game...that's because Automation is still in early access, and as such the actual tycoon part of the game is non-existent. So how will we occupy ourselves? By building and racing some GT cars, of course!

What's the plan, then?

You build a car to conform to the rules (seen below), submit the design to me, and when I have all the entries, we (well, I) take these cars out for a simulated 12-race season on some of the greatest race tracks around the world. Whomever has the most points at the end of the season wins!

I Don't Know What I'm Doing!

Neither do I! :ssh: Just do the best you can at building a fast car that complies with the rules in the next post, then follow the submission guidelines in the third post.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Preliminary SA-GT 1970 1975 Criteria

Rules, Season Schedule TBD.

Fuel economy estimation:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vKJyfj2Hwp0dLss1CHbuZtlWjbOKlkBf8ARjce8US7o/edit?usp=sharing

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 22, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FINAL SA-GTE CONSTRUCTOR'S CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS (Click for larger):

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 23, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm interested, but $30 is a lot to drop on what was, when last I tried it, a tech demo.

Has Automation come far enough to be interesting as a game rather than just something to cobble together some stats for this?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I'm in the same boat, I'd love to try it, but it was still largely the same feature set (able to design engines and chassis but none of the tycoon or economic parts of the game) when I first saw it five or so years ago. The utter lack of apparent progress in such a large time does not give me a lot of confidence that it will ever be finished at this rate.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I'm in!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm in the same boat, I'd love to try it, but it was still largely the same feature set (able to design engines and chassis but none of the tycoon or economic parts of the game) when I first saw it five or so years ago. The utter lack of apparent progress in such a large time does not give me a lot of confidence that it will ever be finished at this rate.

Looking at the page, I'm not too hopeful.

From the May release :

"We are getting closer to a new public version release of the game with many of the flow changes done and working and the naturally aspirated V6 engines having their most difficult to make parts done."

So 3+ years of 'development' in and they still haven't got basic engine types working in game, much less the actual game portion of the sim side feature-complete? I know they're trying for a detailed simulation here, but that doesn't leave me a good feeling.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Looking at the page, I'm not too hopeful.

From the May release :

"We are getting closer to a new public version release of the game with many of the flow changes done and working and the naturally aspirated V6 engines having their most difficult to make parts done."

So 3+ years of 'development' in and they still haven't got basic engine types working in game, much less the actual game portion of the sim side feature-complete? I know they're trying for a detailed simulation here, but that doesn't leave me a good feeling.

HotCanadianChick posted:

All valid concerns. Automation has taken a long time to develop, and a goodly part of why it has comes down to the task being far larger and far more complicated than the devs had anticipated. Essentially, they've had to rewrite pretty much everything they've done twice over now (which doesn't do much for timelines), but the net result is that they are now making considerable progress on the economic/tycoon side of the game, and have put in place the pieces that will make adding future content, such as additional engines, bodies and whatnot, a lot simpler. Supposedly, a closed beta of the economic side should be starting in the next few months.

I'm not going to sit here and say "you have to buy this or you're an idiot"; $30 is not an inconsiderable amount of money to spend on something that isn't finished yet (and all the poo poo that's gone down with early access would make me hesitate had I not bought in a long time ago), but I can assure you that progress is being made in spite of appearances otherwise. I just thought that for those of us that do already own Automation (or those on the fence about buying it), this might be a bit of fun to tide us over until we get more content.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I may be down for this, I'd be very interested to see if I could get a working V4 engine in this thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i bought and played this extensively back before V8s were added. i'll have to get back into it to kick everybody's rear end at this

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I am disappointed that it seems like a V6 is not an option. I WANT MY TURBO PUSHROD BUICK!

Are we allowed to take negative points? I don't seem to be losing much power by having -15 in exhaust :v:

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I'm feeling pretty chipper about my 2.2 Flatplane Twin Turbo V8. Going to have to find a new chassis though, as I can't get big enough tyres on.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I am disappointed that it seems like a V6 is not an option. I WANT MY TURBO PUSHROD BUICK!

Are we allowed to take negative points? I don't seem to be losing much power by having -15 in exhaust :v:

The next update will have V6s in it; might even be out before the submission deadline!

Also,

MrChips posted:

1.1.4 Negative points values in any category shall not count as credit towards either overall total.

4.2 Reliability
4.2.2 a) Engine reliability calculations will be made based upon the following;
-Exhaust Quality Points (additional weighting).
b) Exhaust Quality Points shall count for engine accessories not covered in other categories.

You could go Alternators by Lucas by putting negative points into your exhaust, but your car might not might not make the first hour of the race without repairs. :v:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 3, 2015

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Definitely getting in on this terrible car design game. Do we get points for offensive ugliness? It's a shame there's no way in the game to paint your car with anything other than a single color.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Just to confirm, do you mean ultimate 100 or super 98 fuel?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Just got this last night. I'm obsessed with trying to get a turbo pushrod V8 to run at 12,000 rpm with the max displacement.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

My entry was progressing well last night but then all of a sudden I designed a different engine that is on the efficiency side of the power vs. efficiency curve and now I don't know which will be better. I'm not about to run my cars through the simulation either because a) that's cheating and b) I don't actually have it on my computer anymore; it's on a USB stick in a sealed envelope.

stump posted:

Just to confirm, do you mean ultimate 100 or super 98 fuel?

I got my numbers wrong; I meant Ultimate fuel, 95 AKI/100 RON. Changed in the rules.

:siren:Speaking of rule changes, I made a slight alteration to the naturally-aspirated engine rules for balance; they are now allowed the full 40 Quality Points across all engine categories.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Working on my submission

Hope you like turbo lag.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Alright, the first submission has arrived and not surprisingly, it's mine!

(Click for big)

CMW Motorsports M-GT6/TB

Layout: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Engine: 3.1L turbocharged OHV inline-6
Power: 740+ bhp @ 8400 RPM
Torque: 450+ ft-lb @ 7300 RPM
Transmission: 6-speed single-clutch sequential
Weight: 1100 kilograms (2425 lb)
Weight Distribution: 52F/48R

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I think I finally hit on something with the engine today. Probably going to fiddle with it tomorrow and detune it for reliability. No clue what I'm going to do for the car though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Here are the tracks we will be running; extract them to your My Games\Automation\Tracks folder. To find them in-game, click on the Custom Tracks button on the Test Track screen.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-TdAZAcHwLARk42b0xaaDJ3eGs/edit?usp=docslist_api

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

This looks fun. Is it cheaper than $29.99 anywhere?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Tremek posted:

This looks fun. Is it cheaper than $29.99 anywhere?

At the moment, no, but the Steam Sale starts next week (supposedly) so it might go on discount sometime then.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Submitted my entry. Does anyone else have a problem with Automotion arbitrarily recalculating stats? I lost 20 horsepower somehow when I loaded up my motor this morning even though everything was where I'd left it the night before :confused:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Going to reinstall this game and join the championship.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm still fiddling with this, and fighting the urge to put out a full-size Estate Wagon. :getin:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I tried making a pickup at first, but for some drat reason I can't get the rear tires over 285 section, so I can't put the power down worth a gently caress.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Can a team enter two cars with the same chassis, but different engine builds?

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Propaganda Bob posted:

Working on my submission

Hope you like turbo lag.

Did somebody say turbo lag?

Also your lost HP problem might actually be a saving problem. Did you recheck where all your settings were when you reloaded? Currently there's a saving bug in automation where sometimes it doesn't save changes to an engine design unless you specifically go to the test tab and use the big test button there to test your engine after making changes. The developers have promised a fix for it in the next patch which is supposed to be out last month and will probably be out by August.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Oh hah, was already working on a car that fits into this when I saw this thread. Now to perfect it...

Also, for those on the fence, just remember that this is a 3 person team working on this game, and even the back-end engine was started from scratch. As for what is in/out/planned: http://automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=137

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
What's terrible is I find myself wincing as my virtual engine winds out to max RPM like I do listening to a real dyno.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I think we should standardise wheel rim diameter.
Apart from that, I am not good at this game and my naturally aspirated V8's are so far 100bhp behind your drat turbos and I have no idea how this aero poo poo works.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Every turbo engine here.

Somewhat settled on the engine, swithering on hp vs mpg. Was settled on my chassis, then built an amazing MR chassis forgetting about the weight penalty.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

After seeing engines posted here, I'm doing something wrong. I can't avoid valve float.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Downloading this now. The game seems a bit pricey but this looks like fun.

Do the tracks have elevation?

FatCow fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 7, 2015

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I remember this game from when it was first started yeeears ago now, got bored of that early version pretty quickly but fired it up last night to "try some things" for this and welp that evening disappeared FAST.

Also I'm making tiny efficient cars so all these V8s are scaring me :ohdear:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Bentai posted:

After seeing engines posted here, I'm doing something wrong. I can't avoid valve float.

Increase quality, lower rpm or increase CAM.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Bentai posted:

Can a team enter two cars with the same chassis, but different engine builds?

Nope; two cars, same build. That's done to give you a level of redundancy and to more accurately reflect how actual race teams work.

Riso posted:

I think we should standardise wheel rim diameter.
Apart from that, I am not good at this game and my naturally aspirated V8's are so far 100bhp behind your drat turbos and I have no idea how this aero poo poo works.

Wheel rim diameter is left open because beyond a certain point, it becomes a direct penalty rather than a benefit - each increase in rim size adds weight with little or no performance benefit. The same can be said about brakes as well; over a certain size (which varies from car to car), it becomes more of a penalty than a benefit. It's up to you, the entrants, to figure out where that point is :)

On the issue of fuel economy - I found out that the number generated by the game in the car summary section is not particularly accurate for our purposes. That in-game number is based on a road-car duty cycle, so the number it generates reflects low-speed, low-duty cycle driving, and needed a huge amount of fudge factor to make a realistic calculation for a race car based on the testing I did beforehand. Instead, I have taken the efficiency number from the engine screen (the grams/kilowatt-hour or whatever moon units you non-metric types are using) and from that, using the track models provided, I have been able to calculate how much fuel each car should use per lap. The net result is that with this rule set and my fuel economy model, naturally-aspirated cars have the potential for a fairly significant fuel economy advantage, as they can run higher compression ratios, leaner mixtures (fuel charge cooling appears to be modeled in the engine simulation :eyepop:) and often higher ignition advances.

In many cases, the power penalty (and it isn't as significant after I re-balanced the Quality Points) and subsequent lap time penalty can be offset by fewer fuel stops, which add a significant time penalty.

FatCow posted:

Do the tracks have elevation?

The tracks model elevation change, but not elevation above sea level as far as I can tell.

Riso posted:

Increase quality, lower rpm or increase CAM.

Bore/stroke plays a big role in valve size as well, which is the single biggest factor in whether your valves float and decide to violently meet their roommates face-to-face.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 7, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Do all the "LSD" differentials count as electric or does it explicitly mean the electric lsd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I should read the rules :v:

• Locked thread