Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I am so screwed.

But I finally got a basic car setup, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I love building engines but I can't put together a chassis/body for poo poo.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
I spent way too long fiddling with turbo engines, then I just slapped together a NA spec engine that's down like 150hp on my turbo engines and the car is a full second faster around the test track.

Welp, guess team whatever is going to be running without snails this season.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

You can get ~*massive gainz*~ with big turbos, but the lag makes it pretty worthless, especially since it seems the AI driver rarely keeps the car close to the turbo's power band in low speed corners. I've been trying to use smaller turbos that spool up earlier.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm still fiddling with this, and fighting the urge to put out a full-size Estate Wagon. :getin:

I, uh... May have started fiddling...

Tremek fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 10, 2015

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have neither the skill, time or inclination to participate in this, but can I just say that it's still awesome to watch from the sideline? Kudos to MrChips for making this happen. Everybody else: keep posting screenshots.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Bentai posted:

You can get ~*massive gainz*~ with big turbos, but the lag makes it pretty worthless, especially since it seems the AI driver rarely keeps the car close to the turbo's power band in low speed corners. I've been trying to use smaller turbos that spool up earlier.

I actually managed to make a turbo engine that runs faster on the Ring than my sub 700hp NA motor, but it took a bloody 1050hp to do it, and over twice the fuel consumption.

EDIt : And given a quick fuel estimation it would have to pit every bloody lap.

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 10, 2015

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Kafouille posted:

I actually managed to make a turbo engine that runs faster on the Ring than my sub 700hp NA motor, but it took a bloody 1050hp to do it, and over twice the fuel consumption.

EDIt : And given a quick fuel estimation it would have to pit every bloody lap.

I'm not seeing a problem here.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

MrChips posted:

Nope; this is modeled on FIA rules. Two-hour stints are a hard limit. Besides, you'd have to have some pretty incredible fuel economy to go two hours on 100L of fuel. To give you an example, a car with an engine using 400 grams/kilowatt-hour, making roughly 600 horsepower and average gearing length can expect to do something like 11-13 laps of Le Mans with the current fuel economy model, depending on the aerodynamics and drivetrains of the car, which translates into 50-55ish minutes of run time and about 150-180 kilometres.

Funnily enough, just yesterday I was thinking that your car should have at least a 500hp and at most 400 g/kwh fuel use and should go back to the drawing board if it doesn't.

Say, could you give us mathematical inept a hand to help us make a very rough lap time vs fuel use estimate?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
I have a second car ready to go if you want additional entries. Should be a fun gimmick too!

Edit:

Final for the 1500cc MACHINE OF 80s FURY.

It's not going to win anything, but gently caress it, looks like something 5 year old me would of wanted.

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 10, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Chiwie posted:

I have a second car ready to go if you want additional entries. Should be a fun gimmick too!

Edit:

Final for the 1500cc MACHINE OF 80s FURY.

It's not going to win anything, but gently caress it, looks like something 5 year old me would of wanted.

That baby might be slow but that doesn't mean it cannot have good fuel consumption or reliability!

For my own car, well I think I have narrowed it down to three possible engines. It's difficult to choose based on power vs economy when you have nothing to compare to.

As for the design, I don't really like playing around with the car so I just took the base model and added bits as required. I will probably change the colour.

Look how happy it is!

Most of the stats are in flux because I am not quite done yet.

Chassis: Carbon fibre monocoque, double-wishbone suspension
Layout: Transversal mid-engine, rear wheel drive
Engine: 3994cc DOHC EFI 40V V8 Flatplane (500+ hp, 480+ Nm, <400 g/kWh)
Weight: 1250+ kg, 36F/64R
Transmission: 6-speed single-clutch sequential
Total costs: 72k+
Production: 1000/year

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I hope you guys are ready for the Decimator LX GT-R

190 cubic inch V8
500 HP
Race Wing

a pickup racecar for real americans,

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011

Fucker in charge of you fucking fucks

Duckaerobics posted:

I hope you guys are ready for the Decimator LX GT-R

190 cubic inch V8
500 HP
Race Wing

a pickup racecar for real americans,

Hahaha I love this. How many days left before tech inspection? I'm willing to throw $30 at this to make my rendition of a Clio V6

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

MustardFacial posted:

Hahaha I love this. How many days left before tech inspection? I'm willing to throw $30 at this to make my rendition of a Clio V6
A shade under 19 days. Due by 11am pacific on June 29th.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Can you guys share some thresholds of what might be "good" versus "bad" in terms of reliability, power, fuel consumption, etc? I'm kind of in a vague place here trying to gauge what's competitive or not.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
My car has a 5 liter pushrod four cylinder. Good is relative, but a comedy racecar everyone can appreciate!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Tremek posted:

Can you guys share some thresholds of what might be "good" versus "bad" in terms of reliability, power, fuel consumption, etc? I'm kind of in a vague place here trying to gauge what's competitive or not.

On the first page, there is a link in the rules (as well as in one of my posts) to the track files we will be using for this simulation; a competitive car should be able to do a lap of Le Mans in something like 4:10-4:20 or so. Anything under 4:10, I would classify as very good indeed.

Power and efficiency are dependent on one another in a big way and trade off each other; do you go for high power (and good lap times) at the expense of fuel economy, or do you go for high economy at the expense of lap times? I'm kind of struggling with this at the moment; the car I posted as my submission is the high-power, low-efficiency variant, but the more I think about it, the less happy I am with it.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 11, 2015

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Well I've got my first test design on track. Say hi to Bessie the V8 Track Mule:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

MrChips posted:

On the first page, there is a link in the rules (as well as in one of my posts) to the track files we will be using for this simulation; a competitive car should be able to do a lap of Le Mans in something like 4:10-4:20 or so. Anything under 4:10, I would classify as very good indeed.

Power and efficiency are dependent on one another in a big way and trade off each other; do you go for high power (and good lap times) at the expense of fuel economy, or do you go for high economy at the expense of lap times? I'm kind of struggling with this at the moment; the car I posted as my submission is the high-power, low-efficiency variant, but the more I think about it, the less happy I am with it.

THE WAGONATOR COMETH

This is my best shot at a motor thus far:

Tremek fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 11, 2015

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Just got my scrutineers report. Holy poo poo Mr Chips, I've seen less attention to detail from actual IRL scrutineers! Good job! :monocle:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Much to their shame, my designers have failed to obey the simple laws of this contest. They have been shot.

A new revision of the Griffin will be delivered tomorrow to be re-scrutinized.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tremek posted:

THE WAGONATOR COMETH

This is my best shot at a motor thus far:

That's certainly more powerful than anything I have ever built.
However, when you do not have to push three tons around a track and use your tokens/quality points smartly you can get away with far less.

Edit: Accidentally linked the wrong image without track times.

Riso fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 11, 2015

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The crew will be rolling test chassis "Gus" to scrutineering later this morning.

Nix that. The game ate my goddamn Lua file so I have to attempt to rebuild from square one.

*edit*
I crash-course recreated Gus, and is awaiting the inspection report. I'm glad I took screenshots of the engine before I closed the sandbox, because it also ate the engine design. I get the feeling Automation doesn't like it when you create a car/engine family, but leave the trim/variants blank.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 11, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You know what, I decided to share the 5.5l pushrod V8 shown above.
To be honest it's not that great an engine apart from fuel consumption and I can't really get it higher than 500hp before it starts tearing itself apart, but maybe it is better than what you have or can learn a few things looking at it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2puripatlb9ojj/V8MOHCEngine.7z?dl=0

Bentai posted:

I crash-course recreated Gus, and is awaiting the inspection report. I'm glad I took screenshots of the engine before I closed the sandbox, because it also ate the engine design. I get the feeling Automation doesn't like it when you create a car/engine family, but leave the trim/variants blank.

It sometimes also doesn't take engine changes until you test and often it will have wrong car stats until you change a part and put it back how it was.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Riso posted:

You know what, I decided to share the 5.5l pushrod V8 shown above.
To be honest it's not that great an engine apart from fuel consumption and I can't really get it higher than 500hp before it starts tearing itself apart, but maybe it is better than what you have or can learn a few things looking at it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2puripatlb9ojj/V8MOHCEngine.7z?dl=0

It sometimes also doesn't take engine changes until you test and often it will have wrong car stats until you change a part and put it back how it was.

I took a look at it, and the main thing is why aren't you using the quality sliders ? The Valvetrain slider is especially important for NA engines in this challenge to avoid valvefloat. With just that plus pushing the cam profile up to 100 i picked up nearly a hundred hp.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I think I have created a monster:

Now to see if it passes scrutineering.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Kafouille posted:

I took a look at it, and the main thing is why aren't you using the quality sliders ? The Valvetrain slider is especially important for NA engines in this challenge to avoid valvefloat. With just that plus pushing the cam profile up to 100 i picked up nearly a hundred hp.

Did the game remove my quality points? Anyway I put mine into valve train and fuel system but it doesn't solve airflow problems in the valves.
At the end of the day I don't really care that much. I hit a pretty good V8 flat design earlier I already mentioned.

Tremek posted:

I think I have created a monster:

Now to see if it passes scrutineering.

If mid-engine, half a kilo too light, else that RWD is way too heavy by 149.5 kg. I would fix the negative downforce by putting it out of negative with the undertray. I feel it improves performance in the whole run. By the way, too much cooling airflow increases drag and ruins lap times.

Considering the weight of your car and the laptime you posted I'd wager you have created quite the powerful engine and you should make quite a jump forward with a better car model. Also congratulations, I am also now having to rethink entering my "economy" model because it's slower.

On the weight note: screw you MrChips, I am having troubles at times making the 1250 kg Mid-engine limit and have to put stuff in like the entertainment system to pass. Stupid game needs ballast.

I suggest you guys watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7BQf4VD4hY about brake and esp. suspension setup.

In short: Critical Oversteer is very bad and you need to keep that small white circle on or within the red an blue line. To correct the behaviour you can change tyres and/or camber settings. The video also explains various things about brake behaviour and such you need to fix to make your car decent.

Here's my quick and dirty picture version to try and tell you to lower camber until you fix oversteer which can get you anything from a few tenths to a second.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Riso posted:

If mid-engine, half a kilo too light, else that RWD is way too heavy by 149.5 kg. I would fix the negative downforce by putting it out of negative with the undertray. I feel it improves performance in the whole run. By the way, too much cooling airflow increases drag and ruins lap times.

I thought it was a minimum weight spec, not a maximum weight spec? As in your car must weigh at least 1100kg? This car is a FR setup, longitudinally mounted v8, RWD. My car is over the 1100kg minimum, and if so it's just a (self-imposed) penalty that it weighs more?

Remember this is a huge estate chassis - I don't care that it's huge and less competitive than a sports car chassis, I want my Touring Car Championship damnit. ;)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I just meant the lighter your car is the faster it goes!

Edit: From Le Mans qualifying broadcast right now: "We don't want to go slower than 3:30.00"

Riso fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 11, 2015

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Riso posted:

I just meant the lighter your car is the faster it goes!

Edit: From Le Mans qualifying broadcast right now: "We don't want to go slower than 3:30.00"

Hahaha brutal. If the game would support LMS-styled craziness or open wheel stuff, that's where I would have started.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The game actually has an 80's Le Mans chassis.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Le Mans qualifying is on so I put in some effort to see what I can create in the game.
It's my absolutely best car to go around Sarthe so far but do not worry!

It is not eligible for the SA-GTE!

Pro Tip: You have to modify the chassis to fit wider tyres. Also put the fixtures on after everything else, especially Trim.

Riso fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 11, 2015

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Can you confirm what build you are using Mr Chips?

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
This is SA-GTE legal :

Qualifiquation trim :pseudo:
(It has no cooling and uses more than a liter of fuel per kwh)

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 11, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Riso posted:

On the weight note: screw you MrChips, I am having troubles at times making the 1250 kg Mid-engine limit and have to put stuff in like the entertainment system to pass. Stupid game needs ballast.

I suggest you guys watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7BQf4VD4hY about brake and esp. suspension setup.

In short: Critical Oversteer is very bad and you need to keep that small white circle on or within the red an blue line. To correct the behaviour you can change tyres and/or camber settings. The video also explains various things about brake behaviour and such you need to fix to make your car decent.

Here's my quick and dirty picture version to try and tell you to lower camber until you fix oversteer which can get you anything from a few tenths to a second.

That's the intention; building your car, then using interior and infotainment systems and their associated QPs to ballast your car to the minimum weight. There is no restriction on QPs in those two categories for that exact reason.

Also that suspension advice is good :)

stump posted:

Can you confirm what build you are using Mr Chips?

The most up-to-date Steam build; B150409.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

MrChips posted:

The most up-to-date Steam build; B150409.
Ah, I don't have steam, I think that explains why we are in different build, in on 150502. I was wondering why it came up as a different version when you loaded it up.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

stump posted:

Ah, I don't have steam, I think that explains why we are in different build, in on 150502. I was wondering why it came up as a different version when you loaded it up.

I might actually have that version now that you mention it; I'm away from my computer until late tomorrow and all I had to go by was the Steam news feed for the game, which I'm pretty sure is wrong.

Even still, there might be a difference between the standalone and the Steam version; I remember reading that when the first Steam version came out a couple months ago, they had to branch off to make it work properly. Additionally, the standalone didn't get updated with the newest content until.very recently.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Just for fun, I'm going to make a new Track Mule called "Freddy", to experiment with a FWD entry. I expect there to be tears and lots of cursing.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

If I have the time I might grab steam and convert get a steam copy to be sure, I think I can convert my code to a steam one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Still haven't done a final legality scrub so there are some minor things that need tweaking still (weight for one), but it's close to legal.

Will we be penalized for being 'gamey?' There is something that makes this car about 2s/lap faster but it makes no sense at all in the real world.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 12, 2015

• Locked thread