Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Crack posted:

First of all, please don't use chrome because gently caress google.

What specifically do you feel is wrong with chrome? Giving them the finger for their relationship with In-Q-Tel doesn't count. If you have a proper reason, what browser would you suggest instead?

Crack posted:

Noscript is great!

What are you trying to prevent by disabling js? v8 is sandboxed and there hasn't been an RCE vuln reported in it since 2009

Crack posted:

turn your phone off when you aren't using it [...] stingray

This isn't how stingrays work - are you thinking of OTA baseband exploits? Not that you can avoid those

Crack posted:

get RedPhone, TextSecure, Signal

yes

Crack posted:

Related to that, don't trust SSL (padlock) as implemented right now.

This isn't helpful advice and it's not clear what you mean

Crack posted:

And pgp isn't great.

Please elaborate on this

Crack posted:

If your housemates are idiots it might be a good idea to disable all incoming / outgoing connections on your router because if you are reading this thread you quite possibly already have malware and aren't the best educated on it

What are you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

general browser advice for security and privacy:
- disable 3rd party cookies
- set plugins to 'click to play'
- install ublock
- install https everywhere + privacy badger

general windows advice:
- UAC on max
- DEP set to opt-out
- install EMET
- configure the windows firewall properly using the MMC snap-in

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

You're just coming across as a loudmouth idiot with all this stereotypical smartass "IT guy" hurrrrr micro$haft bluster

Crack posted:

Tabnabbing for one? Still works in latest ff and chrome as far as I can tell.

So your concern is that a malicious or compromised site could switch to a phishing page while you aren't looking.

Why are you logging into websites manually to begin with? This problem is solved completely by using a password manager.

Disabling JS to prevent phishing is like trying to kill a fly with a mallet and suggests you have bigger problems.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I use 1Password, it has windows/osx/android/ios clients and plays nicely with various Dropbox-like syncing programs. Bit expensive but you can sometimes find a coupon online or they do educational discounts.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

To be honest, in your situation, just install any AV and hope that she never gets the machine compromised.

For people who are computer-illiterate, I've been recommending that people just simply get tablets (iPads if you can help it) or Chromebooks if you know that they'll be fine with that. If they've already bought a computer, then just protect it with AV and ensure that it automatically installs updates. Additionally, keep them away from any admin account and just offer to install applications for them.

I agree about getting her an iPad out of preference.

However if she's using a full computer, I think there are easy additional precautions you should take beyond the ones OSI Bean Dip mentions.

The greatest risks she faces are probably:
- clicking poo poo in spam email
- malware from ad networks: both those clicked on manually and those delivered by exploits
- getting phished

To that end, in addition to AV (MSE is fine):
- Replace IE with Chrome; install uBlock; make plugins click-to-play if you think she can handle that
- Remove the JRE and adobe reader; make PDFs open in Chrome
- Install EMET
- Use a password manager

I got my parents a copy of 1Password a couple of years ago and it was a great decision. Not just because they don't have to remember tons of credentials any more, but because they will never get phished because they always log into sites using the browser extension. If you make it automatically save all credentials she submits to websites, you can then go back a couple of weeks later and change all the passwords to unique ones. By far my #1 momputing tip.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ISP-run DNS tends to go down more, and they have been known to replace what should be NXDOMAIN responses with adverts, or to deliberately return wrong A records in an attempt to block sites. You also don't know whether they collect your DNS queries or what they do with them. ISPs are generally complete scum

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What's the best way to keep Keepass synchronized between my devices (three computers, one phone)? Someone suggested putting the database on SpiderOak, but I want to make sure that isn't a bad idea. The key for the database itself is unique and over 130 entropy bits, so hopefully that would be enough.

SpiderOak is fine

I quite like BitTorrent Sync because the Android app is nicer than SpiderOak's

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Geemer posted:

You're extrapolating your experiences with the US' ridiculous ISPs to the rest of the world.
I'm in Europe

Geemer posted:

Over here in The Netherlands I've only had issues with my ISP's DNS three times in the last 10 years.
vs. 0 with google public DNS

Geemer posted:

Also, you also don't know whether the non-ISP DNS collects your queries or what they do with them, so why even consider that?
it's much easier to log the queries to a resolver you run than examine all DNS traffic on the wire

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

You're right though. Between Phorm and the Verizon header injections, ISPs have shown they can't be trusted not to gently caress with either HTTP requests, or HTTP responses. There's no reason to believe they're above loving with DNS responses from third party resolvers either.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Khablam posted:

Changing your DNS to Google's with the expectation that this will decrease any data-mining occurring is remarkably stupid. The only uses in "intercepting" your name lookups at large is almost entirely stats based, and you better believe Google will do this. Their DNS is also usually slow.
Your ISP has 1001 other, better and less intensive ways of monitoring you if they wanted to.

You change your DNS because there are better DNS resolvers that filter your results against known malware sites / bad ad domains and in some cases attempts by malware to phone home.

Personally I change it so the responses I receive accurately reflect the RRs published by the authoritative DNS, but don't let me stop you trying to blacklist "bad ad domains" using the equivalent of a hosts file

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Khablam posted:

Their DNS is also usually slow.

17ms here, but the speed-up might be due to PeerGuardian

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Khablam posted:

It's the equivalent of a dynamically updating hosts file that can't readily be overwritten, so that's a lot better than nothing. Their focus is on blocking malware from phoning home / stopping botnet control and they have reasonable success at that.
Much more effective, say, than the success rate you'd achieve trying to block anti-piracy groups with an open filter list, which you feel is worth your time.

We're getting off-topic here, but letting your ISP sinkhole any hostname their three-letter-agency pals tell them is "malware" isn't the same as my carefully vetted blacklist shared over a tahoe-lafs hidden service. Grow up.

Khablam posted:

Differences in performance is less ping time (since all are within milliseconds of one another), and more one of reliability; Google's DNS has gone through several rocky patches where it would create considerable lag from making your enquiries retry or fallback due to non-response. Not sure if this is still such an issue.

Clearly this is why you should be running unbound which automatically removes resolvers from the pool if they become unreliable

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, thanks.

Speaking of Android, is one of the Keepass apps better than the others? Or is there one that's evil and actually stealing passwords, or anything like that?

this is the problem with keepass relying on so many third party programs and plugins and apps, you don't know

imo buy 1password instead. At least it's all made by one company

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Grog posted:

I never manually ran the executable.

Then you're no worse off than you were before unless it exploited your AV engine or eg the PE parser bit of windows (realistically it probably didn't)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

If you're trying to identify locally initiated outbound connections (without resorting to looking at the origin port) you could use conntrack

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah use 1Password instead. It has proper browser extensions that don't rely on magic involving window titles, don't blindly auto-type, and don't require you to construct some Rube Goldberg contraption out of third-party software in an attempt to work around it being poo poo

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Can you use a yubikey with 1password?

yes you could use a yubikey to enter your master password if that's what you mean
(any of the normal yubikeys, not the cheap u2f-only one that doesn't support static passwords)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

spankmeister posted:

does it support u2fa as the second factor though? Like password + yubikey?

no - and iiuc 2fa doesn't make sense here because you're essentially decrypting a file on disk, not running an authentication protocol with another party

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Depends if you're looking, or searching / manipulating. I use whichever browser is default. Firefox, Chrome and Edge can all open PDFs, and they're all kept up-to-date more often than anything Adobe shits out.

Re Firefox PDF.js: https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2015/08/06/firefox-exploit-found-in-the-wild/

OP should use chrome's because it's sandboxed

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

univbee posted:

If you must use Adobe Reader (Canadian government :argh:), you should disable the auto-approval of Javascript, as well as the trust of external links

Also you should be running EMET (not that it can't be circumvented)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Just buy the Windows version and run it under Wine, it's $40 with the coupon code "MacPowerUsers" and works great

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah I store my SSH keys (and my PGP keys, for what little use they get) on an OpenPGP smartcard, it's pretty convenient

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Disable third party cookies and, fwiw, enable DNT

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Avocados posted:

As far as browsers go, what are add ons I can use that increase the safety of my browsing (Safari on my Macbook, Firefox on desktop PC)? . I have uBlock installed on both. Not sure what else to do. NoScript/NoJavaScript any good?

- set plugins to 'ask to activate'
- disable third party cookies
- enable DNT, not that any sites actually pay attention to it
- HTTPS Everywhere
- Privacy Badger
- RefControl

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Squeegy posted:

To spin this into a somewhat interesting topic, why do you think email encryption has not caught on like SSL encryption has lately?

It kinda has, motivated by Gmail's TLS shaming icon they introduced a while back

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I got one of those pop ups last night that "locks" your browser (This one told me they were Windows and to call them), I alt-cntrl-del'd out and ran Malwarebytes and AVG, then scanned with Emisoft this morning, this is what Emi came up with:

Anything I need to be concerned about?

yes - how it happened in the first place?

What OS and browser are you using? Do you have Flash or Java installed? An ad blocker?

Also get rid of your third-party antivirus software, all of which have a poor record of security and actually increase your attack surface area.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Uninstall Flash. If you actually got infected with something, this is almost certainly how it happened.

Also
  • upgrade to Windows 10 if your hardware supports it
  • install EMET
  • preferably use Chrome rather than Firefox
  • get rid of your third party antivirus software (but leave Windows Defender enabled)
Good work on running uBlock

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

The free Windows 10 upgrade is still available here if you missed the deadline

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

yeah Chrome currently still has a built in version of Flash that it will fall back to

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Installing now

Does Win10 still have the rollback option? I installed it last year and it wouldn't let my iPod or USB connect, only my iPhone, so I changed it back

it gives you 10 days to roll back

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Samizdata posted:

You know, most of EMET is baked into 10, albeit without the granular controls.
yes - the better exploit mitigation in 10 is why I suggested he upgrade. It certainly wasn't for the new UI lol

I mentioned EMET explicitly in case he disregarded or was forced to stay on windows 7

Samizdata posted:

Also, how to you justify "DEATH TO THIRD PARTY AV, but not THAT third-party AV!"?
I don't set much store by Defender's ability to actually stop viruses but Microsoft know windows internals pretty well and I like to think their quality control would catch the kind of egregious poo poo that ends up in Kaspersky etc

Samizdata posted:

(As Defender was originally from Giant Software if I remember correctly)
yes! - great company - big fan of Farming Simulator 2017

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I think he means it will likely have password-based SSH enabled, a root password of "pi", and no firewall

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

hooah posted:

I feel like I've read about putting OpenVPN on a router, but that seems counterintuitive to me - how can a VPN be on the same side of the modem as me?
you're right that in your situation you need a VPN server on the opposite side of your modem - this setup is for people who want to dial into their home network while away from home, rather than what you're doing

hooah posted:

The other option I'm aware of would be paying for a service, but I have no idea which companies are reputable, nor how to choose among them even if I did know that.
they're all poo poo

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Khablam posted:

Is there actually anything to suggest the paid ones with provably no logging are actively bad?
Sure they could be compromised, but ISPs have a pretty poor record of holding onto customer data.

Would this be the same PrivateInternetAccess who use the same single shared secret to encrypt every customer's traffic?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Seaside Loafer posted:

One of the things I recommended to her mum was to buy Windows 7, I cant remember the exact spec of the box but its not in the i3/5/7 series, its the generation before that so I dont know if thats capable of windows 10.

buying a core 2 duo (?) and a retail windows 7 license in 2017 :psyduck:

this is almost certainly not the best use of your money

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

You don't mention running adblock. It doesn't sound like the cause of your problem but you should be using it anyway.

Also check your router's DNS settings haven't been hijacked. You should be using a reputable public resolver (Google's are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) rather than your ISP's regardless.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

not sure I'd recommend running whatever piece of poo poo version of openvpn/strongswan someone managed to get running on openwrt on an internet facing IP

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 2, 2018

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Your best bet is probably to get a $5/mo VPS from digitalocean and install Algo on it

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’m reading you can set up Algo on a Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite.

I don't have any experience with Algo's IPSec mode but I do run wireguard on an ER-X using this build, which you might want to check out

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What would that potentially do to throughput?

I don't see any real impact on throughput but my internet is fairly slow to begin with (11mbps). At much higher pps the CPU may become the limiting factor (although the ER-L is slightly faster than the ER-X). How fast is your internet connection?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would it be really stupid to run traffic to/from Steam, YouTube, Netflix, or whatever outside of the VPN to avoid any speed hit?

You can do this pretty easily on EdgeOS using policy based routing ("modify table" rules) based on destination cidr and/or port. You might want to do it with Steam to reduce latency perhaps? (I guess - I'm not a gamer) Not sure there's much point for streaming video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, I’ll take a look. I’m on gigabit fiber.

At that speed you will quite possibly run up against the limits of the hardware

The ER-L supports hardware accelerated IPSec for specific ciphers but Algo doesn't use those ones by default. So if both the default Algo IPSec settings and wireguard are too slow, consider changing the cipher suite

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It occurred to me that Steam would be one to be careful about since once in a blue moon I buy a game, and payment data is what needs to be protected more than my anime streams

Payment data goes over TLS regardless so it doesn't make a difference