Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Meat Dimension posted:

Yeah this happened some time ago. It's long gone.

The thing is that it was about a year ago. I told her it was a scam then and she said "we'll see" and so far she hasn't been locked out of her computer so this guy is on the level, supposedly. I guess what I'm looking for is advice on how I convince my mother (an Excel wizard) that continuing this relationship is a bad idea

E: I won't continually pester the thread with updates on "this didn't work" or "that didn't work", I'm just at my wits end here. Can I point to something on the Internet for her to look at?

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0346-tech-support-scams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

froward posted:

I use a notepad. am i a bad nerd?

The main disadvantages of a physical notepad are that you may lose all of your passwords in a fire or theft. As long as you accept those potential risks then it's alright. My parents use this easily identifiable notebook for their passwords and despite the potential risks it's just about the right level of useful for them:
http://www.amazon.com/BookFactory%C2%AE-Password-Passwords-Notebook-JOU-120-MCW-/dp/B009YK2GOA/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fuschia tude posted:

Is it stable enough to be worth trusting yet?

Sometimes. When it works it's fine. When it breaks it breaks really badly. It's better than 8 and worse than 7 but not that much worse I guess.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If you've got noscript and ublock and you didn't allow anything you should be okay.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bisse posted:

I have a Win7 laptop that a relative dumped in my lap to 'fix' as a favour. He thought it had been slammed with chinese ransomware. Turns out it's just a butt-load of chinese spyware that takes over the screen with popups.

The problem is that it slows down the computer so much that it's completely unworkable. The computer is normally good enough to do regular office/school stuff on, but now, I can't even clean the spyware out because it takes more than half an hour to open File Explorer to launch the .exe of the ad cleaner tool I had put on a USB. So I think I would need some kind of ad/spyware cleaner that I could run on boot from a USB to get rid of all this garbage. Is there any tool like that around?

There's a few tools like that. Bitdefender Rescue CD:
http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-create-a-bitdefender-rescue-cd-627.html

Windows Defender Offline:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17466/windows-defender-offline-help-protect-my-pc

Just to name two. But if you value your time you should really just consider:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCbfMkh940Q

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Malwarebytes anti-malware had a bug in an update today that caused some kind of memory leak that would cause windows to crash. Apparently there's a new update that fixes it but if you had windows problems today and use it, that's why:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/220112-important-web-blocking-ram-usage/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lain Iwakura posted:

Did you read the OP?

Yes, but since many goons will come to the Haus of Tech support when their computer is acting funny today and may not have read the OP, they might look in this thread. I posted for notification, not because I'm having a problem with some bad software. A client of mine called me today with memory management errors because he purchased MBAM for some reason (not on my advice).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah you're preaching to the choir here.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Red_Fred posted:

I’m keen to purchase some sort of internal security camera for my apartment. My thoughts were that it doesn’t need to be internet enabled (I would actually prefer it isn’t for security reasons). I was thinking some kind of cheap IP camera and cheap NAS that saves like a week’s footage. Low FPS is fine. Can anyone recommend something?

I’m renting at the moment so it’s really just to keep an eye on unsupervised people in my apartment. I try to be there generally but can’t always.

This may be outside the scope of this thread, please let me know if so.

You may want to ask in the Home automation and security systems thread. IP cameras are very cheap these days and are usually pretty good. If you want to keep an eye on your place because you think someone may do something, consider that they may do something and then steal your camera and NAS as well when you plan it out. A lot of IP cameras can even just record onto a micro-sd hc card if you don't want to involve saving it to a drive, but this further increases the danger of one device being stolen or broken and leaving you with no footage.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I said I didn't want its contents accessed. That includes by the manufacturer! :argh:

Pretty much any camera will do that if you block it from the internet at your router. I got a Wyze cam for $20 (on sale, they're usually $25), used the Dafang hacks modified firmware on it to get it booting from a sd card and then blocked its IP from accessing the internet at my router. While the dafang hacks firmware isn't supposed to be phoning home, I don't trust it any more than the base firmware. However it does allow me to view the camera's stream with normal recording software. I use ispy64 or BlueIris to record the stream if there's movement or whatever. The worst part of it was formatting the sd card as a 512MB which seems to be all the camera can use to read firmware from and was kind of a pain in the rear end.

You're not going to get any kind of alerts or cloud storage this way, but that's why most of these cameras get hacked. Allowing them to be accessed from the internet may be convenient but it's also putting them online. Managing your own recording is a much better idea and you can still access your stuff if you have some way to access your recording PC with a VPN or other secure login to it.

There's other cheap IP cameras that would function the same way if they're blocked from internet access, you just need one that will use RTSP so you can view the stream on your network or one that's ONVIF compliant and uses standard IP camera stuff. They generally cost a little more if they have those because a lot of these companies with inexpensive cameras (like Wyze) want to sell you a camera that you can only access with their app through their cloud service and they hope you will pay for storage of your video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I know the OP says don't pay for an antivirus and they're all the same, but this thread is the only place I've ever heard that. I used to use NOD32 but stuck with Microsoft Defender for the last 6 or 7 years.

NOD32 seems to score better than Microsoft Defender in lots of scanning tests. Would I be better off with NOD32?

No.