Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Could you elaborate on this? What's bad about uBlock and/or better about uBlock Origin? I never understood the fork, but both are being actively developed right now.
I use Origin entirely because InfoSec Tailor Swift told me to. :boom:

please stop posting in this thread. you don't even have a avatar and your opinions are garbage.

OSI bean dip posted:

OP update is still in the works. Blame work, DEFCON, and my personal project. I can easily answer questions however. I do have some help from others on the OP too.
Thank you for taking the time to do this; it's rare that people have free time AND post on forums AND aren't shitheads. bless & double bless, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
the official keepass download links lead to sourceforge, which ublock blocks, because, ya know, malware.

lol

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
:yayclod: storage pisses me right the gently caress off bc bandwidth is more expensive than storage. Too many idiots think paying $10/month to upload everything to :yayclod: is better than duping things to hard drives (which are cheap as hell and don't disappear when :yayclod: has a hickup or goes under). So we have consumer bandwidth saturated with netflix -- instead of just using the service as America's Mail Order Swap Drive -- and mobile bandwidth saturated with Spotify et al because licensing be hard, waaaaaaah. Makes me sick. Sick I tell you!

ThermoPhysical posted:

A friend of mine uses the Panda antivirus which is some kind of cloud-based thing. Anyone know anything about it?

This was hinted at, but since nobody's getting it: antivirus is garbage, it does nothing well, because the weakest link is the users. Computers are pretty great 99% of the time and they require user intervention -- help, if you will-- to get a virus installed most of the time.

NO KIND OF ANTIVIRUS REPLACES GOOD TRAINING

Listen, if I can teach basic operational security (don't install weird apps, use long passwords, never give sensitive information to anyone who calls you) to my SEVENTY YEAR OLD MOTHER than YOU can be arsed to teach whoever you care about to not infect themselves, too.

Many OMG SCARY EXPLOITS/viruses aren't game changers: they just reduce the amount of work the user has to do to infect themselves.

one can even argue antivirus is BAD because it provides a false sense of security.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
I use a notepad. am i a bad nerd?

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Volmarias posted:

Yes.

The real question is "who is your adversary?" Are you concerned about random malware? Are you concerned about spear phishing? Are you concerned about three letter agencies specializing in SIGINT?

If it's the latter, rotate your flip-phone burners and prepaid SIM cards daily, that's the only real solution at the moment to Nation State level attacks.

Otherwise, pick up a newer Nexus phone since Google is committed to pushing firmware updates with security fixes on a regular cadence, and isn't beholden to carrier QA approval.

Only download software from Play. Only download software which isn't ad supported. Only download software with sensible permissions. Use Baksmali to inspect apps which you really, really care enough about to reverse engineer. Hope that whoever's app you're using supports tokenization for credentials.

Use Work Profiles if you're concerned about keeping your work data segregated from your personal data.

For God's sake, do not get some sort of "Antivirus" software for your phone.

Remember that zero days will always exist in any platform.

thank you for this useful post with actionable items instead of castigation of current reality.

--

looking forward to the NSA giving the FBI some of its tech and this eventually trickling down to police departments with barely educated thugs with a moral code of "take what you can and burn the rest"