Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
I bought a new laptop recently, but never bothered to migrate old files off of my old one. I'm interested in using some type of Remote desktop software or something so that I basically use my old laptop like an external HD (i.e. just go into Explorer, open up the folders and such from the other laptop and control it from my new laptop).

All the stuff with remote desktop and all of that has me paranoid. What's the safest and easiest way to do this without installing some hokey software that has a thousand exploits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Khablam posted:

Migrate the files.

There's too many. I have an SSD on my new laptop that while is much faster, doesn't have a lot of storage. Do I need to just bite the bullet an buy an External HD? It just feels like an unnecessary expense given that my old laptop is just acting like an external HD right now, collecting dust.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
For those travelling on vacation, what are some very basic standard security stuff to go for? I don't mean super crazy encryption or ultra paranoid thwarting secret agents or anything like that, but more like to protect yourself against common theft or bad wifi when you're travelling? I've heard of some options like basic honeypot OS' installed so when your laptop is booted up by someone stealing it, it goes to a clean OS, and installing something like Prey to monitor. I know lots of people go all out paranoid by using a fully clean laptop but I don't have anything important, I just want to deter the most common stuff. I don't want to spend hours setting up my Windows 8 laptop to dual boot Linux or whatever. I know to avoid internet banking and to only use HTTPS for connections, but should I invest in a VPN as well? Anyways, some thoughts from the experts would be great.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

OSI bean dip posted:

Always assume that if your laptop or phone gets stolen that it is lost forever and that having it encrypted is the safest thing to do to ensure that at worst you're out a grand or two. I really do suggest going down this road as it'll at least not make you worry about what was on there.

As for safeguarding your Internet access, this one is a bit tricky as it depends on your skillset. Many people will automatically jump at suggesting a VPN service but I am always hesitant to do so. Are you travelling on business or is this personal? What's your computer skill level? Can you use SSH?

Personal travel, and my computer skill level is alright, but I don't know what SSH is, so no I can't use it. All I'd really like is to prob encrypt my harddrive, and have some sort of honeypot OS that is booted up automatically that has none of my personal files on it. and have one of those tracking programs (like Prey) in case some idiot steals it and doesn't wipe everything. I'm at a house rental with wifi there, and will probably stick to that instead of internet cafes, but I want a good balance between best bang for your buck.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

OSI bean dip posted:

I actually meant a service that sells VPN access. Having one that exits out of your home or a VPS is a good idea because then you know your ingress and egress points will stay consistent.

What OS are you running?

Windows 8.1. I'd like to have it autoboot to a honeypot OS if its preconfigured upon shutdown/hibernate.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

OSI bean dip posted:

When do you leave? Do you work downtown? I could just sit down with you over a coffee if you'd like and see what can be fleshed out. I assume you live in my neck of the woods.

I appreciate the help! But, I probably won't have time to sit down before the trip, and am going to try and fit in doing this on my own time. Can you give me a head start with some terms or stuff to google and learn about installing and configuring?

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Volmarias posted:

Are you going to a country where there's a reasonable chance that local law enforcement will even give a single poo poo about your stuff getting stolen, let alone tracking someone down using info you give them from Prey?

If not, don't even bother. If so, still strongly consider not bothering and just encrypting your HD.

Yeah this is a good point, and really I don't have that sensitive of data anyways. HD's encrypted, so I'm comfortable with that, and no, I'm not trying to evade border guards or anything like that.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
What are your guys' thoughts on the whole Blackphone thing? Is it overhyped as some uber-security phone or is it actually not bad for what it's selling? I think they are coming out with a tablet soon too.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
So if the Blackphone is a dud what options are there where you can still have decent functionality with say Android apps, but still have some semblance of security on mobile? Why does my Camera need access to "Modify settings" and why does a Sudoku app need permissions for Geotagged locations?? Do you pretty much have to be a hermit and not use any mobile tech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
I noticed that my laptop (Lenovo T440) has a smart card reader on it. Are these things used at all outside of government/business?