Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Grog posted:

Running KillSwitch, there are a few drivers in the "Services" with nonsense names that I can't find any real information on (qrhwas, tcoifh, uotote), but I have no idea if they're related to the various scanners or what.

I would be worried about this regardless. Do AV, etc scanners generally use random names now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Melian Dialogue posted:

Personal travel, and my computer skill level is alright, but I don't know what SSH is, so no I can't use it. All I'd really like is to prob encrypt my harddrive, and have some sort of honeypot OS that is booted up automatically that has none of my personal files on it. and have one of those tracking programs (like Prey) in case some idiot steals it and doesn't wipe everything. I'm at a house rental with wifi there, and will probably stick to that instead of internet cafes, but I want a good balance between best bang for your buck.

Are you going to a country where there's a reasonable chance that local law enforcement will even give a single poo poo about your stuff getting stolen, let alone tracking someone down using info you give them from Prey?

If not, don't even bother. If so, still strongly consider not bothering and just encrypting your HD.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Melian Dialogue posted:

So if the Blackphone is a dud what options are there where you can still have decent functionality with say Android apps, but still have some semblance of security on mobile? Why does my Camera need access to "Modify settings" and why does a Sudoku app need permissions for Geotagged locations?? Do you pretty much have to be a hermit and not use any mobile tech?

Yes.

The real question is "who is your adversary?" Are you concerned about random malware? Are you concerned about spear phishing? Are you concerned about three letter agencies specializing in SIGINT?

If it's the latter, rotate your flip-phone burners and prepaid SIM cards daily, that's the only real solution at the moment to Nation State level attacks.

Otherwise, pick up a newer Nexus phone since Google is committed to pushing firmware updates with security fixes on a regular cadence, and isn't beholden to carrier QA approval.

Only download software from Play. Only download software which isn't ad supported. Only download software with sensible permissions. Use Baksmali to inspect apps which you really, really care enough about to reverse engineer. Hope that whoever's app you're using supports tokenization for credentials.

Use Work Profiles if you're concerned about keeping your work data segregated from your personal data.

For God's sake, do not get some sort of "Antivirus" software for your phone.

Remember that zero days will always exist in any platform.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

uPen posted:

Marshmallow was released going on 5 months ago and 1% of android phones are running it. IOS 9 came out a few weeks prior and 77% of iphones are running it.

This, unfortunately. For Android, the current structure of carriers and OEMs heavily disincentivizes patching anything at all. If you're lucky, you'll get one OTA update, ever. Apple, being the sole manufacturer AND the OS vendor, AND having the ability to flip off carriers and their requirements, means that they can patch as much as they want, and it's not a gigantic poo poo show of hacks.

As I said, the Nexus phones can generally do that too (if bought from Google) but Google doesn't seem to support them as long as Apple does.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I believe changing your password automatically invalidates all tokens forcing a re-login.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The only post in this thread that is provably correct.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

In the subject of the sperg's guide to privacy on Windows , is there a nice guide for end users that has "not Mossad" as the adversary instead of this guy's screed?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Segmentation Fault posted:

I like Decent Security's list, they explain why they perform every action they do and it all makes sense. Some of what's in the guide you linked is good information but there's a lot of cargo cult stuff and straight-up FUD w/r/t the Microsoft telemetry. If someone tells you to run a utility to remove the telemetry, don't do it.

Thanks!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Don't use clear tape

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Use a different browser, and or curl/wget. Check for rogue extensions or plugins.

If you have a laptop, connect it to your network. Try and figure out if it's your network or your computer.

Speak onto the monitor "I know you're watching", see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

anthonypants posted:

Thank you for the flattering comparison but hackbunny is way smarter than me and that makes a huge difference.

:justpost:

Don't over think it