Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Khablam posted:

Right, and this is the heart of the reason for the push. Supporting 6-year old software, twice superseded, is a drain on resources keenly felt by a company struggling to bring their books back to where they want them to be, and 99% of the issue is people simply not wanting to for *reasons*. People, who could put the same effort they're putting into avoiding the update (being active in it is just bizarre) into researching their current compatibility and would end up with something that was a win-win for all. My desktop upgraded in about 25minutes with zero issues. I've had java patches take longer. This is the most seamless upgrade of an OS I've seen.

To their credit, MS have largely seen the problem with optional, paid, effort-laden upgrades, and have adopted the "buy once, keep forever" model. Win 10 might then kill OS luddites, but sadly not soon, as 7 goes EOL in 2020.

I've tried to upgrade my laptop twice, waited 8+ hours and got nowhere.

The first time it at least reached the install and reboot stage... and then booted into 7. :psyduck: Second time it never got past the spinny 'preparing your computer' screen. I guess I should try again.

Seamless isn't the word I'd use.

Khablam posted:

You have lovely transfer speed and have to power a whole laptop just to run it as a HDD, it's also an ageing 2.5" which isn't a great bedrock of reliability.

This. The likelihood of a drive dying ticks up slightly every year, crossing over 'more likely than not' around year five--and that's assuming you had a high-quality drive to begin with. Your files are becoming less and less likely to survive the longer you keep them on an old drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

pr0zac posted:

This isn't really the correct thread for tech support but good lord update to Windows 10 already.

Is it stable enough to be worth trusting yet?