Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

What is this?

Open world sandbox brick building/collecting/adventuring/exploring game from Telltale GamesTraveller's Tales (makers of all those other LEGO games you love).

How is this similar to Minecraft?

It's pretty much not at all similar. There's no crafting, no shovels, no picks, no chopping down trees, no digging, no eating, none of that stuff. It's more similar to an open-world TT game than to Minecraft.

Surely there's something to build though, it's LEGO for god's sake!

Yes there's a couple build modes, one is landscape sort of building/shaping, and the other is individual brick mode. You luckily get all colors and shape bricks unlocked from the beginning, so no hunting around for individual bricks like we had to do in LEGO Universe.

How do you build?

Go in to the build mode, choose your brick and color, and click click click. It's pretty straight forward, in an albeit somewhat clunky interface (it seems like it's going to be ported sometime, so there's a lot of "press any button/key" or "vibration: on/off" options, no control scheme options at all, etc.)

There are also pre-built models you can plop down anywhere you like. For now there's just one (a cute little house with a small pool, BBQ, and car), but they'll be adding more. Whether or not you have to collect them or they'll just be added to your inventory automatically is yet to be seen.

So what the gently caress do you do in the game?

For now you run around the world exploring, collecting mini-builds (not sure what they're called, but they're little builds scattered around the landscape. Mostly bushes and shrubs, but sometimes decorative things depending on the theme of the land, like tombstones or lanterns), collect body parts (to customize your minifig you need to either meet friendly NPCs wandering around, or kill dangerous ones). You can also build, but it's a little difficult at the moment. Unreliable frame-rate and un-optimized interface make building a little tedious, but that might just be me personally.

You can also ride animals, however it's a little alarming how easily you can accidentally destroy the environment. Like while riding a horse for example, it automatically tramples and destroys anything you go over, so you have to be very careful if you've created this huge area and invested hours in landscaping and theming; DON'T RIDE ANYTHING IN TO THE AREA! They could really add some zoning or something to make areas safe from wanton destruction.

Also there are studs, like in previous TT games. You get them from destroying stuff (surprise surprise).

So what are the studs for?

Buying things, of course. See you unlock them by encountering them in the wild, be it a NPC, animal, vehicle, or mini-build. However once they're unlocked you have to buy them before you can actually use them in a build or summon them in the world. So for example you find a bear in the wild, sneak up on it and hop on it's back, it becomes unlocked for you. Then you have to go in to your item menu, and purchase it with a small fee of studs. Simple right?

Also some things give studs repeatedly, infinitely. So I don't think studs will be a huge issue, you shouldn't ever be short of them. That aforementioned pre-built house model gives you infinite studs if you keep interacting with the items on it (the BBQ, the mailbox, etc.).

Cool so how's multiplayer?

There isn't any, it's going to be added someday, which probably means unlike Minecraft this isn't going have a multiplayer element as the foundation of the game. So don't expect 64 player servers popping up anytime on release. I think the most we may get is a sort of co-op friend invite to play your world with you, that's all. My personal opinion this was a big mistake, because there's a huge social element to Minecraft. But then I'm not a producer at TT, so there we are.

Basically you create your seed world, play in it, share that world (if you want), download other people's worlds (not sure if this works yet actually), and that's it. I don't even remember seeing a chat box/bar for talking when I played. It definitely feels like a single player game first and foremost, with multiplayer being tacked on much later.

That sucks, what are they going to add eventually?

From the Steam page:

• Like/Dislike system for tailoring World Generation
  • Procedurally Generated Underground Cave Networks
  • LEGO ID integration to allow for sharing and uploading of in-game builds
  • Additional Biomes
  • Painting Themes
  • Pre-Generated Towns/Villages/Settlements relevant to the Biome
  • Updated AI Behaviors to provide organic feeling to free-roaming creatures and characters
  • Red Brick Extras
  • Full liquid behaviors
  • Additional Minifigure Characters and Creatures
  • Additional Vehicles and Pre-Built Models
  • Additional Weapons
  • Cut/Copy/Paste chunks of landscape
  • Underwater Gameplay (including Vehicles, Creatures and additional sea life)
  • Character Customizer
  • Online Multiplayer

So should I buy this loving game or not?

If you like LEGO, don't mind using a console-friendly interface, and don't have a problem with early access, then sure! I enjoyed exploring, mainly to find new body parts for my minifig. I did giggle when I found the first little sheep, and started riding around on it while it bleated angrily.

Screenshots!

Customize your character with parts you've harvested from NPCs around the world.

Flying mounts that do fly, as well as shoot huge fireballs that destroy the environment and your builds. Shoot carefully!

Mushroom Kingdom?

Again, flying mounts. I don't think these will be player create-able, because they involve special animations and effects (prop spinning, lights blinking, your minifig hopping in to the cockpit, etc.). Maybe player made vehicles will be a thing someday, who knows.

Landscape shaping, you can tell it's pretty simple and effective.

A lot of vehicles have special abilities, such as this which bores through bricks with ease.

When will this be finished?

Slated for early next year.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

I found a spooky forest.

Really impressed how they form the entire environment using actual real life pieces. Most Lego games up until now just used normal textured polygons for environments and used bricks for props and characters. It even runs pretty well.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I played this last night and I felt like a little kid again. Building is really fiddly though, I would actually prefer a more "minecraft" style block placing than going into the editor but that might change if they can smooth the camera and stop the awkward "blocks hover over the block you want to click them to instead of snugly fitting" thing that sometimes happens.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 2, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Phrosphor posted:

Building is really fiddly though, I would actually prefer a more "minecraft" style block placing that going into the editor but that might change if they can smooth the camera and stop the awkward "blocks hover over the block you want to click them to instead of snugly fitting" thing that sometimes happens.

Yeah it really is. I looked for the old LEGO builder program thing and found some Google Chrome version, and even that felt more precise and better than in the game.

I'd like a build mode where it snapped out of the game world, and put you in a dedicated building program/world/whatever all on it's own, so you had a good frame rate, controls, and camera positioning.

Another annoyance was the scrolling brick type and color windows, I use the scroll wheel on my mouse to go through them, but that also zooms in the view. :confused:

We need control options!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

KiddieGrinder posted:

Yeah it really is. I looked for the old LEGO builder program thing and found some Google Chrome version, and even that felt more precise and better than in the game.

I'd like a build mode where it snapped out of the game world, and put you in a dedicated building program/world/whatever all on it's own, so you had a good frame rate, controls, and camera positioning.

Another annoyance was the scrolling brick type and color windows, I use the scroll wheel on my mouse to go through them, but that also zooms in the view. :confused:

We need control options!

I forgot my other big bugbear with building. Having horses loudly whiny and snicker every 30 seconds!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's super duper frustrating that modern day Lego games never allow for building of custom vehicles when that's a large part of what makes Lego so awesome. Outside of older games like Lego Racers and that one super old game, their refusal to give you anything other than prebuilt stuff is just incredibly disappointing. I wonder what the reasoning is.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Songbearer posted:

It's super duper frustrating that modern day Lego games never allow for building of custom vehicles when that's a large part of what makes Lego so awesome. Outside of older games like Lego Racers and that one super old game, their refusal to give you anything other than prebuilt stuff is just incredibly disappointing. I wonder what the reasoning is.

The same thing that killed the lego mmo. The incredible fear that someone somewhere will make or do something even mildly offensive and taint the lego brand. Or build something that gets lego sued, like avengers land or something.

Some 50+ year old executive is paralysed with the fear that a group of young kids will wander into a forest of dick trees on their watch.

At least notch was so utterly socially incompetent that he didn't imagine all the things that could go wrong.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I'd love some sort of rudimentary programming script to make our own vehicles. Choose what type of vehicle (underwater, flying, land, etc.), the weight (light, medium, heavy), speed (slow, medium, fast), and then assemble it yourself. So there's a few handling physics templates in the game, you modify some parameters with your choices, and off you go. I doubt anyone would be expecting Gran Turismo level of simulation, just something that goes vroom would be awesome enough, especially if it's something the player made.

Since this is basically single player, surely they wouldn't have any problem with abusing the system right? It's your world anyway, not much damage could be done, or much of anything to gain from doing so.

Or heck make it even simpler; they could give you a bunch of thumbnails of existing vehicles and say "Which one is yours most similar to?", and go from there. Use an existing handling sim that some other vehicle has already for something the player makes themselves.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 2, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

KiddieGrinder posted:

I'd love some sort of rudimentary programming script to make our own vehicles. Choose what type of vehicle (underwater, flying, land, etc.), the weight (light, medium, heavy), speed (slow, medium, fast), and then assemble it yourself. So there's a few handling physics templates in the game, you modify some parameters with your choices, and off you go. I doubt anyone would expecting Gran Turismo level of simulation, just something that goes vroom would be awesome enough, especially if it's something the player made.

Since this is basically single player, surely they wouldn't have any problem with abusing the system right? It's your world anyway, not much damage could be done, or much of anything to gain from doing so.

Or heck make it even simpler; they could give you a bunch of thumbnails of existing vehicles and say "Which one is yours most similar to?", and go from there. Use an existing handling sim that some other vehicle has already for something the player makes themselves.

This is how Second Life worked. The overall structure of your vehicle didn't matter very much. You designated a "core" block to be the thing that physics acted on, and then just filled in the variables with regards to how physics acts upon it, and what various keystrokes do in terms of thrust and/or torque. So, if you wanted a thing to behave like a plane, then you gave it a process to calculate lift from forward momentum, so every tick of the script said "for forward velocity X, create thrust Y in a direction perpendicular to where the wings should be"

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I really hope there will be SOME manner of vehicle customization in the game. It's only early access, they could still add something! Or players might hack something, who knows.

But I drove a drill-car through a giant cake. 10/10

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Didn't Blockland do that vehicle scripting stuff?

This is the Blockland killer, not the Minecraft killer. Then again, Blockland is kind of dead already.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Will there be modding?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Keeping track of this, because I think $15 is a pretty good price for something this pretty and made by, apparently, very well-liked developers. If it seems to be updated often enough, then I'll hop in on it.

TrenceJ posted:

a solid foundation to build off of

:downsrim:

Morter fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 2, 2015

TrenceJ
Jul 2, 2007
Mmmmm, Pac Dots
This was the first Early Access game I splashed out on, Well apart from Minecraft of course.

Early indications are good, a solid foundation to build off of, and hopefully make this one fun little game.

Can't get it to run full screen for whatever reason, and the camera decides to go mental on occasion, but that's to be expected from a game that was announced at the same time as appearing on early access.

It seems like you will have to generate a few worlds to get all the MiniBuilds, But that's no real issue. I'm having fun just running about the place at the moment, Haven't even played with the building part yet.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'd love to see more to this game than it currently has, but I lost an hour exploring last night and have zero regrets. I found a bow and arrow in a chest inside an igloo and it doesn't work AT ALL with a controller (unless I'm doing something horribly wrong), but it works fine with a mouse. It gives you a target cursor, but the arrow fires when you first hit the button, not when you release. So it zings off in a random direction and you're standing there with a drawn bow and no arrow like a jackass. As soon as you release the attack button, you just put the bow down. With the mouse, it's just point and click.

I want it to be even more Minecraft, though. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this game. I want to explore caves and find treasure. Right now, drilling a mountain is cool, but ultimately serves no purpose. I found some Warlocks that just want to look at me menacingly and punch me.. which is exactly what skeletons do. There's also these adorable little puppies that liked harassing the wildlife but attacked me on sight. They're puppies, not ferocious creatures, let me have a pet! When you fight back, you don't even get the piece or anything, it just goes rigid and physics its way down a hill.

Edit: Maybe these guys need to team up with the Cube World guys!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

New Leaf posted:

I'd love to see more to this game than it currently has, but I lost an hour exploring last night and have zero regrets. I found a bow and arrow in a chest inside an igloo and it doesn't work AT ALL with a controller (unless I'm doing something horribly wrong), but it works fine with a mouse. It gives you a target cursor, but the arrow fires when you first hit the button, not when you release. So it zings off in a random direction and you're standing there with a drawn bow and no arrow like a jackass. As soon as you release the attack button, you just put the bow down. With the mouse, it's just point and click.

I want it to be even more Minecraft, though. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this game. I want to explore caves and find treasure. Right now, drilling a mountain is cool, but ultimately serves no purpose. I found some Warlocks that just want to look at me menacingly and punch me.. which is exactly what skeletons do. There's also these adorable little puppies that liked harassing the wildlife but attacked me on sight. They're puppies, not ferocious creatures, let me have a pet! When you fight back, you don't even get the piece or anything, it just goes rigid and physics its way down a hill.

Their next steps blurb on the Early Access page in steam says that they are going for proceduraly generated caves next.

I found a fish you can throw at people in a chest.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
The videos and screenshots of this game look really nice. The level of detail is even higher than Cubeworld, while still keeping everything made out of distinct blocks as you would expect from LEGO. It is definitely the nicest looking voxel-based game I have seen. It also looks like it runs smoothly, with no slowdowns while flying planes around. Here's hoping they add solid multiplayer support and come up with a way to make an actual game out of the very nice engine they have.

New Leaf posted:

Oh, no. They definitely do not need to do that.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is the Blockland killer, not the Minecraft killer. Then again, Blockland is kind of dead already.

Blockland never had the ability to slap bricks on to vehicles, at least not in the base game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Hm, looks like they already did an update on fixing the Black Screen issue some people were having.

So they're quick to respond about problems. Another plus for them. One step closer to buying this thing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I bought this for my 5 year old son and he said it is so good he feels like he's dreaming, then he turned and asked me "am I in a dream?" when I assured him that he wasn't he got very excited.
Kids are weird.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Roblox does too, judging from how much my kids play that piece of poo poo. It's also a wonderland of copyright infringement, so although it's not remotely as well known as Lego itself, you'd think someone would have sued the poo poo out of them by now.

Really odd that they don't have local multiplayer for this, seeing as that's pretty much a trademark of their other games (and almost a requirement for really enjoying them). But then again they're making that Lego Not-Skylanders thing too and I don't know who the gently caress would want to spend money on that.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 2, 2015

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I'll buy this when I can design and pilot a functional Metal Gear Rex around the landscape destroying everything.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Davinci posted:

I'll buy this when I can design and pilot a functional Metal Gear Rex Spyrius Titan around the landscape destroying everything.

I wholeheartedly agree with you

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I found a husky and jumped off a cloud while riding him plummeting to the earth at re-entry speeds. This is A Good Game.

It's not Minecraft in terms of the tree-punching survival stuff but that crap is boring and I swear if I can sail a buildable pirate boat across the oceans I will throw money at this so hard.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

JerikTelorian posted:

I found a husky and jumped off a cloud while riding him plummeting to the earth at re-entry speeds. This is A Good Game.

It's not Minecraft in terms of the tree-punching survival stuff but that crap is boring and I swear if I can sail a buildable pirate boat across the oceans I will throw money at this so hard.

How will you do so if you already bought the game? Is there like a crowdfunding thing going on?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Morter posted:

How will you do so if you already bought the game? Is there like a crowdfunding thing going on?

It's currently Early Access.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I wish it was more like a buy-to-play multiplayer game with stuff you could purchase in game (add real LEGO sets, unique minifig parts, etc.) so it could support online servers for a lot of players to play together.

But oh well, if they can pull something off then great. I mean a lot of games survive just fine with dedicated servers hosting games (that players can provide for themselves or pay third parties for), so why not this one too?

Something else somewhat odd; the 'Online Multiplayer' bulletpoint in their list of features has moved up from the very bottom to right under 'Painting Themes'. Now that doesn't mean the list was chronological, but it's strange that it would be moved like that. I wonder if that means they might be giving it more consideration or resources?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

raditts posted:

It's currently Early Access.

Okay...? Can you 'throw more money' at a game you already bought on Steam, period? I mean, I know there are some games that have different tiers for added support, but Lego worlds is just "Buy this unfinished game for 15", or am I missing something?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Maybe he meant further support like season passes, expansion packs, buying extra copies for friends and family, etc.? I don't know. :shrug:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Morter posted:

Should have been more clear, my brother bought it and I was playing via Steam Sharing. I don't have it yet but I am strongly leaning "yes". It's pretty functional for an early access game, think like the early releases of Prison Architect.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
This is the game with the most potential I have seen since Minecraft.

Here's to hoping it won't end up like vanilla minecraft.

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
I wonder If they will add in some of the Lego properties like Ninjago or Bionicle. Maybe as DLC at some point

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
I hope they patch in inverted aiming soon.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I don't understand why LEGO hasn't made a building game with an open world like Minecraft and working vehicles. It would make some serious money.

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 8, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

And now they have.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

James The 1st posted:

I don't understand why LEGO hasn't made a building game with an open world like Minecraft and working vehicles. It would make some serious money.

That is exactly what this game is. The big difference so far is that you don't need to craft tools to manipulate the world, you just do it.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
It'd be nice if you could build your own vehicles though

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I got this over the weekend to give my kids something new to play. Seems pretty cool, although unless they do something like add events or instances or something the appeal will dry up pretty fast once you've discovered everything in the world. Unless you're one of those people that plays Minecraft to endlessly build monuments to nothing, I guess.

Morter posted:

Okay...? Can you 'throw more money' at a game you already bought on Steam, period? I mean, I know there are some games that have different tiers for added support, but Lego worlds is just "Buy this unfinished game for 15", or am I missing something?

edit: I see what you meant now. In that case no idea what he meant, I guess he means if they included that stuff later as DLC? Until the game is actually finished I don't know why you'd even think about that though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 8, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

HJE-Cobra posted:

It'd be nice if you could build your own vehicles though

This is basically an alpha/proof of concept game at this point. I'm sure it will be integrated eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Got this game, I like the engine and whatever, but I felt like I explored everything there was to see after less than an hour. Definitely needs way more content.

• Locked thread