Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

there are space vampires but not the sexy kind unfortunately

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

General Tobias Beecher owns. He will be so good this season I can feel it. I loved that he saw through their poo poo right away.

I like how he was all friendly and respectful until he got to the point of why he left the Tars alive, also called Stahma a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

EvilTaytoMan posted:

That was a pretty great episode. Kinda surprised that they just straight up murdered the McCauleys off. I'm hoping Stahma and Datak will avenge them viciously. If Alak has to die for that then all the better.
I'm not gone on the purple aliens though. Seemed like they came out of nowhere. Makes me wonder if they had anything to do with that other race that showed up in the pilot episode (the Volge?). And apparently they created the Indogene?

I also don't like that they are so obviously Space Bedouins.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

etalian posted:

there are space vampires but not the sexy kind unfortunately

Thank goodness SOMEONE made a Lifeforce reference.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gonz posted:

Thank goodness SOMEONE made a Lifeforce reference.

i can only remember two reasons why that film was memorable.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

i can only remember two reasons why that film was memorable.

Well, three. Patrick Stewart was in it as well.

As far as the show. I liked it when T'evgin did he "Blah! I will destroy you all!" speech and he saw Amanda and Nolan react with "Are ya done yet?" It was interesting to watch him suddenly process the two sides of the humans regarding the Omec as just another bunch of alien. On the one hand, the humans aren't going to roll over and show their bellies when the Omec arrive. On the other hand, humans aren't as likely to form crazy-scared lynch mobs either.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Well, that was enjoyable but a little weak. I don't have a problem with the McCauleys being killed off- sure, it wasn't where I wanted things to go but it was believable. Certain other things though, like the scene with the doc or the bookseller getting shot, were unecessary and, in my opinion, played mostly for shock value. This seems to be the point at which a show running out of ideas for how to keep things 'fresh' begins to stoop to sheer stupidity in order to manufacture drama. Hell, just the fact that they had to turn to space vampires for their new big thing, when there's still a rich field of interspecies political machinations already set up, reinforces my view of this.

Also echoing complaints over the cavalier treatment of the kid getting murdered. I don't disagree with the outcome but the handling of it was haphazard, and seemed out of character for both Nolan and Amanda.

It's not like the show has completely jumped the shark yet, and to be honest I kind of expected them to pull some bullshit like this, but it is a little disappointing.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
The secret is that Nolan and Amanda are bad people.

Nolan being a shitter is one of the best parts of the show. He didn't let Purps go after killing the kid because he provoked her. It was because 1) PurpDad could mine the rocks that make the town defenses work again, but more importantly, 2) He had not yet seen her naked. He killed the Castithan because if he left him alive, he would stir up trouble, and maybe prevent PurpDad from mining.

Nolan is the 4 F's in action.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OB_Juan posted:

] 2) He had not yet seen her naked.

Sex with space vampire was probably on his bucket list after getting beat up by her.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

OB_Juan posted:

Nolan being a shitter is one of the best parts of the show. He didn't let Purps go after killing the kid because he provoked her. It was because 1) PurpDad could mine the rocks that make the town defenses work again, but more importantly, 2) He had not yet seen her naked. He killed the Castithan because if he left him alive, he would stir up trouble, and maybe prevent PurpDad from mining.

Can we just call them Purple People Eaters or PPE's.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

OB_Juan posted:

Thought this was gonna link to The Mentors, disappointed, wish I could downvote

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

Can we just call them Purple People Eaters or PPE's.

I know I will from here on out. How did I not think of that?

E: They sort of technically fly, with those pods of theirs.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 14, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm all down for Beecher the warlord, that actor has not been getting the acclaim he deserves over the years.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Xoidanor posted:

I'm all down for Beecher the warlord, that actor has not been getting the acclaim he deserves over the years.

Agreed. I never saw Oz, but I remember him guesting on Castle and he raised the bar some on that show.

I kind of want somebody in show to play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx47qrH1GRs

johntfs fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 14, 2015

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Was watching this with my other half and saying it was great that an old character like Rafe wouldn't have lasted two seasons with any other series and he's still kicking arse for his family and right then he goes and gets killed. Bugger.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Omek officially confirmed to be flying purple people eaters.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Xoidanor posted:

He was also great when he guested on Copper as a similar ruthless badguy boss

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spookygonk posted:

Was watching this with my other half and saying it was great that an old character like Rafe wouldn't have lasted two seasons with any other series and he's still kicking arse for his family and right then he goes and gets killed. Bugger.

it seemed to be the science fiction equivalent to the bible story of Job.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

savinhill posted:

He was also great when he guested on Copper as a similar ruthless badguy boss

He was also great as a obscure investigative reporter in the iraqi invasion show that I'm currently forgetting the name of.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Generation Kill, it's a loving awesome show.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Kesper North posted:

I also don't like that they are so obviously Space Bedouins.

Space Touareg.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

johntfs posted:

Agreed. I never saw Oz, but I remember him guesting on Castle and he raised the bar some on that show.

I kind of want somebody in show to play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx47qrH1GRs

Also the guy who was harassing Vic on Longmire.

I was sad to see Rafe go, as he had a helluva arc going from hating the Tarrs to being besties with them. Seeing them teamed up was great. But it's a small consolation that Datak and Stahma seem to be 100% back in lockstep together after their infighting last season. They are formidable together.

Count me in with the people who think Nolan and Amanda are shits. What they did to the doctor was loving horrible, and I would not blame her one bit if she bailed (though of course I hope she doesn't, because she's such an awesome character).

I was a bit surprised that the E-Rep people are all totally gone, especially the "Mayor" so soon after he finally got his victory of being able to get with Amanda. And the "TransblackCastithan" guy. Figured they'd be still on the show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Unless I misunderstood the hints in the episode the E--Republic is pretty much on its last leg and bailed immediately once the mines became inaccessible, I'd bet we will see them later in the season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

Unless I misunderstood the hints in the episode the E--Republic is pretty much on its last leg and bailed immediately once the mines became inaccessible, I'd bet we will see them later in the season.

That was the only reason they were interested in the town in the first place. Maybe if they had actually gotten the train line through there they would have stayed.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Astroman posted:

Count me in with the people who think Nolan and Amanda are shits. What they did to the doctor was loving horrible, and I would not blame her one bit if she bailed (though of course I hope she doesn't, because she's such an awesome character).

I've noticed Rockne S. O'Bannon did a very similar thing in one of the early seasons of Farscape, where they cut off Pilot's arm to trade it in exchange for navigational data. Same situation - it was going to just grow back, but the "donor" definitely did not consent. And it was the main cast, or at least part of it, that was responsible.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Doc has made poor life choices and as a result, she was jerking off Datak in prison. She's had a rough trot.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

The Doc has made poor life choices and as a result, she was jerking off Datak in prison. She's had a rough trot.

I think being Votan Mengele is a bit more than a poor life decision.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

That's why I love her. She's the only votan to really master idioms, and she deploys them with such deadpan disdain that its easy to forget that for a while she treated humans no differently from the Omek.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Kegslayer posted:

This is why I couldn't feel sorry for her.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Smashurbanipal posted:

Space Touareg.

Right you are. Did you know the Tuareg are sometimes called the Blue People, because the dye from their robes sometimes stains theirs kin? It's true!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuareg_people

Anyway, holy poo poo Defiance, could you have thought of something a little less on the nose?

Also, calling it now: the Olmec are the only truly native sentient species to the Votan system, and all the other ones were engineered as servitor/prey races.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 17, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

muscles like this? posted:

That was the only reason they were interested in the town in the first place. Maybe if they had actually gotten the train line through there they would have stayed.

I imagine getting their capital nuked from orbit didn't help either

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Kesper North posted:

Right you are. Did you know the Tuareg are sometimes called the Blue People, because the dye from their robes sometimes stains theirs kin? It's true!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuareg_people

Anyway, holy poo poo Defiance, could you have thought of something a little less on the nose?

This is the show that calls the caste-based race 'Castithans'. Castithans, see? Yeah. And the race based off of Native American stereotypes has distinctly reddish skin.

In practice, they do a decent job of making their aliens distinct and interesting- at least by the pathetically low standards of most TV shows- but creative origins have never been their strong suit.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Xoidanor posted:

Yeah, I know the in universe explanation, but it's just that they were such major characters last season I figured they'd be around still.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Astroman posted:

Yeah, I know the in universe explanation, but it's just that they were such major characters last season I figured they'd be around still.

Well, it's like the first season really. No major e-rep presence, moved in to steal the mine, mine was lost so they hosed off again.

I imagine that depending on how long the Voltanis plotline goes on we'll see them coming after Irisa to stand trial for New York

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So finally watching the premier and Hey Irisa:

that's now how you hold that.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

David D. Davidson posted:

holy gently caress, i didn't even notice that at the time, how did this happen

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

That's how the guy knew she wasn't going to shoot him

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kesper North posted:

holy gently caress, i didn't even notice that at the time, how did this happen

Probably the wrong prop. She's holding it like a rifle but it looks like its more of a submachine gun.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Truly, that is the most effective form of trigger-discipline. :downsgun:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Super impressed you're still using windows media player

Adbot